Food Bank In Violation of Federal Rules For Asking Recipients to Pray - Page 14 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » Food Bank In Violation of Federal Rules For Asking Recipients to Pray

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
Lionheart Virtual Estate - Experience the Difference!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2012, 04:55 PM   #326 (permalink)

I finally got it all together, but now I forget where I put it.

My Mood:
I recently went to a training put on by the National Alliance to End Homelessness (or something like that). This incredibly excited and chipper woman was telling us all about how the Dept. of Housing is going to mostly stop funding shelters. We would have to get our clients into housing within 30 days, without any subsidy to help them out. That we were going to just have to accept that our clients (and probably us in time) will have to pay 70-90% of their income in rent, be doubled and tripped up with other families (12 people in a two bedroom was the example), and that our job as social workers would be to help them find resources like all the local food pantries and foster relationships with slumlord errr... landlords who would rent to them.

In all my years as a social worker I've never been so depressed or discouraged, and this thread just makes me think about it.
Zaida Gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:01 PM   #327 (permalink)
01001100 01001111 0100110

01000011 01101111 01101111 01101100 0100001

My Mood:
SL Join Date: '06
Business: Darnkeyes!
iT GOES ON AND ON AND ON AND ON....

DON'T STOP BELIEVING!!!

This thread is now about Journey and how they Rock/are fucking hilarious.

I enjoy journey in a party setting but anywhere else they seem out of place and just kinda funny.
Ahaha, such a simpleton. It'z so much fun playing jokez on you. I waz only here to see how she waz doing, but I had fun while I waz at it. So long, Sere, au revoir, mon ami! Pleaze dream of moi every night! Oui! ~ Harle

http://leechmouth.deviantart.com/
Darnk Yun is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
Old 04-06-2012, 05:15 PM   #328 (permalink)
That Bitch

*SLU Supporter*

Innocent as far as you know

My Mood:
SL Join Date: late 04 original account, mid 05 current
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaida Gearbox View Post
[...]
In all my years as a social worker I've never been so depressed or discouraged, and this thread just makes me think about it.
for you: Leslie Fish - The Paper Sea - YouTube
It's not enough to care about liberty if the only liberty you care about is your own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter Firelyte View Post
Why doesn't anyone ever ask, "What is the real meaning of the winter solstice?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eboni Khan View Post
Thanks for being passive agressive.
Void is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:23 PM   #329 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

Peaceful

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darnk Yun View Post
iT GOES ON AND ON AND ON AND ON....

DON'T STOP BELIEVING!!!

I enjoy journey in a party setting but anywhere else they seem out of place and just kinda funny.

Blasphemy!!!!!!!

Although? At the moment, I'm listening to Mr. Marley, and bouncing about, like the little dudes above. Marley is good for ANY situation.

Jolene Benoir is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 04-07-2012, 04:18 PM   #330 (permalink)

What the cuss?!??

SL Join Date: May 3, 2008
Client: still 1.23 as long as possible
Quote:
Yes, the overwrought nature of Journey songs have ensured them a place of honor in any humor-purveyor's arsenal. DRAMA!!!!

Polo is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 04-07-2012, 04:34 PM   #331 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
Yes, the overwrought nature of Journey songs have ensured them a place of honor in any humor-purveyor's arsenal.
But the funny thing is that's also why they rock....

Remember kids, if you're not willing to go out there and not look or sound silly, you're not trying hard enough.

See every good drummer for prof.

*laughs at drummer face*
1 User Hugged You:
1 User Agreed:
Old 04-07-2012, 04:34 PM   #332 (permalink)

What the cuss?!??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Void View Post
no need to cite specific examples when you've said it categorically.
Where? Please quote.

Quote:
so far to write off others arguments you've accused people who have disagree with you of being religious adherents, proponents of prayer, and being illogical.

Where? Please quote.

Quote:
you further accuse them of engaging in ad hominem attacks for pointing it out.
No, I've accused individuals who have engaged in ad hominem attacks, of engaging in ad hominem attacks.

And have provided actual support for my claims---as any person arguing in good faith would do. Look, for instance, at posts 276, 277, 286, 293, and 297.

It is not respectable conduct to post claims about what someone has said, and then refuse to back up those claims.

Quote:
is short, no, you don't get let off the hook just because you didn't use a specific name.
No, you don't get let off the hook from providing actual evidence in support of your claim.

Making a claim and refusing to support it with evidence is the act of a child.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:39 PM   #333 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

Peaceful

My Mood:
Quote:
Yes, the overwrought nature of Journey songs have ensured them a place of honor in any humor-purveyor's arsenal. DRAMA!!!!

Jolene Benoir is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 04-08-2012, 12:26 AM   #334 (permalink)
That Bitch

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
Quote:
Where? Please quote.[...]
I have, read back over your own BS, it's a thread not a novel, the record is quite clear.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:29 PM   #335 (permalink)

What the cuss?!??

Quote:
I have, read back over your own BS, it's a thread not a novel, the record is quite clear.
Are you aware of how stereotypical and clichéd a response this is, from people who have made wild claims without any supportive evidence? ('It's already in the thread'.....please. )

You goofed by making claims for which there is no evidence. You won't admit that you've made this mistake.

So let's take that as read and move on.

The Indiana food pantry in the original news story is named "Community Provisions." Neither of those words clearly signals 'this is run by a Christian group'; I was curious if most food pantries run by Christian groups give some indication of that fact in their names.

A search of "food pantry" and "prayer" offered some data: programs called "Community of Grace F.P. [Food Pantry]", "Jubilee F.P.", "Church of Grace and Peace F.P.", "Tree of Life F.P.", "Northside Christian Missions F.P.", "St. George's F.P.", "St.Gregory F.P.", and "Emmanuel F.P." appear on the first three pages of results. I didn't find any that had names similar to "Community Provisions" (that is, that could easily be confused with a non-religious food pantry).

I'm curious about the choice of the Indiana food pantry to use a name that, unlike these other clearly-Christian programs, might lead to surprise for applicants who weren't expecting a religious component to their application process.

Here's the pantry's site: http://www.seymour.org/community/provjc/index.htm The photo seems to indicate that the building in which the pantry is located doesn't have any Christian symbols or signage outside (it looks like a warehouse). The site does specifically mention "Christian ministry" as being a feature of the place, but of course some applicants might not have Internet access and might not see that notice.

I'm sure readers of this thread can guess that I have more admiration for the openly-named-Christian pantries, than for this one that seems to have gone out of its way to...well, it seems odd to me.

Do those who think the 'ask the prayer question first, then give food' method is best, also think that this sort of 'non-religious name, non-religious building' method is best, too?
Old 04-09-2012, 07:08 PM   #336 (permalink)
That Bitch

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
Quote:
Are you aware of how stereotypical and clichéd a response this is, from people who have made wild claims without any supportive evidence? ('It's already in the thread'.....please. )

You goofed by making claims for which there is no evidence. You won't admit that you've made this mistake.

So let's take that as read and move on.
you can pretend you didn't say those things, you can even pretend they weren't already quoted by myself and others, whatever delusion floats your boat... there was no no mistake made, and evidence was already provided, you've just chosen to pretend that it wasn't.

Quote:
The Indiana food pantry in the original news story is named "Community Provisions." Neither of those words clearly signals 'this is run by a Christian group'; I was curious if most food pantries run by Christian groups give some indication of that fact in their names.

A search of "food pantry" and "prayer" offered some data: programs called "Community of Grace F.P. [Food Pantry]", "Jubilee F.P.", "Church of Grace and Peace F.P.", "Tree of Life F.P.", "Northside Christian Missions F.P.", "St. George's F.P.", "St.Gregory F.P.", and "Emmanuel F.P." appear on the first three pages of results. I didn't find any that had names similar to "Community Provisions" (that is, that could easily be confused with a non-religious food pantry).

I'm curious about the choice of the Indiana food pantry to use a name that, unlike these other clearly-Christian programs, might lead to surprise for applicants who weren't expecting a religious component to their application process.

Here's the pantry's site: Home The photo seems to indicate that the building in which the pantry is located doesn't have any Christian symbols or signage outside (it looks like a warehouse). The site does specifically mention "Christian ministry" as being a feature of the place, but of course some applicants might not have Internet access and might not see that notice.

I'm sure readers of this thread can guess that I have more admiration for the openly-named-Christian pantries, than for this one that seems to have gone out of its way to...well, it seems odd to me.

Do those who think the 'ask the prayer question first, then give food' method is best, also think that this sort of 'non-religious name, non-religious building' method is best, too?
wait, let me get this straight.... first your complaint was that they were too religious, and pushing it on other people, and now your complaint is that they aren't religious enough, because they choose a non-denominational name!?

in all seriousness, have you ever been diagnosed with schizophrenia?
Old 04-09-2012, 07:16 PM   #337 (permalink)

What the cuss?!??

Quote:
you can pretend you didn't say those things, you can even pretend they weren't already quoted by myself and others, whatever delusion floats your boat... there was no no mistake made, and evidence was already provided, you've just chosen to pretend that it wasn't.
Why do you keep squirming?

Why not simply back up your claims about what I've supposedly said...with actual quotations?

Don't you realize that these desperate tactics to avoid backing up your claims are transparently threadbare?

Stop making excuses, and back up your claims.

Quote:
wait, let me get this straight.... first your complaint was that they were too religious, and pushing it on other people, and now your complaint is that they aren't religious enough, because they choose a non-denominational name!
Wrong. Read the post again. You've completely missed the point.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:49 AM   #338 (permalink)
That Bitch

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
Quote:
Why do you keep squirming?

Why not simply back up your claims about what I've supposedly said...with actual quotations?

Don't you realize that these desperate tactics to avoid backing up your claims are transparently threadbare?

Stop making excuses, and back up your claims.
I did, 3 pages back, and all the bullshit you could come up with is to claim that what you said didn't mean what you wrote... then you went even farther and made more ridiculous assertions, and now you're claiming that I never made the post to begin with? or that no one else did the same? at this point you are so full of shit that flies are popping out your eyes because there's no room left.
1 User Laughed:
1 User Agreed:
Old 04-10-2012, 06:13 PM   #339 (permalink)

My Mood:
You motherfuckers are off topic, this thread IS ABOUT JOURNEY NOW, GOD DAMN IT!!!!!!
1 User Hugged You:
Old 04-10-2012, 06:41 PM   #340 (permalink)

What the cuss?!??

Quote:
I did, 3 pages back, and all the bullshit you could come up with is to claim that what you said didn't mean what you wrote... then you went even farther and made more ridiculous assertions, and now you're claiming that I never made the post to begin with? or that no one else did the same? at this point you are so full of shit that flies are popping out your eyes because there's no room left.

Stop making excuses. Back up your claims.

If you posted such support "3 pages back" then you'll have no trouble finding it, copying it, and pasting it into a new post.

Of course if you did NOT post such support then your task becomes more difficult. Or shall we say: impossible.

Recall that these are the claims you've made about things I've supposedly said------claims you have so far declined to support by quoting anything I've actually said. You've quoted entire posts of mine....but never once, anything that actually resembles what you claim I've said.

Common Sense 101:

You need to back up your claims that I've said some particular thing, with actual quotes in which I say that thing.

Here are your specific claims:

"you've tossed around religious membership as a false excuse for why people disagree with you"---a claim you make in post #262. Link and/or quote, giving the post number, where I say anything akin to, or possibly construed as---no matter how paraphrased: "religious membership is the reason for _____ disagreeing with me."

"you mean the same readers the you labeled as adhernts of prayer and christian religion?"---From your post #280. You have so far failed to name the readers I've supposedly labeled, or quoted me doing that labeling. Do so now.

"You've made a false case that the people whom disagree with you fall into this category"---also from your post #280. Quote the post in which I make "a false case" about people who have disagreed with me.

"casting ad hominem aspersions on everyone disagreeing with you"--in your post #322 you make this claim. Please quote any and all remarks from my post in which I've cast such aspersions. Include: a) quotes in which I've addressed someone disagreeing with me and cast an ad hominem aspersion upon them, b) quotes in which I've addressed others but included ad hominem aspersions on 3rd parties, and c) quotes in which I address no one in particular, but include ad hominem aspersions on individuals who have disagreed with me.

In short: do quote any and all such aspersions that you claim I have cast.

"you've accused people who have disagree with you of being religious adherents, proponents of prayer, and being illogical"--You make this claim in post #325. Please quote remarks from me in which I either address someone who's disagreed with me, or refer to an individual who has disagreed with me, and said that they are "religious adherents" or "proponents of prayer" or "illogical."

In other words you need to provide a post about someone in this thread with whom I've disagreed, in which I've typed (for example): "________, you are obviously a proponent of prayer". The only other acceptable proof of your claim: a post in which I've typed anything akin to "you people arguing ______ are clearly proponents of prayer" or "you people arguing _____are clearly illogical," etc.

Good luck.

"you said you didn't mean what you wrote"---a claim you make in post #338 , the one to which I reply now. Link and/or quote, giving the post number, where I say that I "didn't mean what" I wrote.

....If, as you've typed, you've already provided quotations supporting each of these specific claims*, then all you have to do is paste them.

Again: good luck.

*And yeah: simply pasting all my posts in this thread into a big post does NOT constitute support for your specific claims about specific things I've supposedly said. That should go without saying, of course.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:41 PM   #341 (permalink)
Balthazaar Paine

(What's so funny) 'bout peace,love and understanding?

My Mood:
Quote:
You motherfuckers are off topic, this thread IS ABOUT JOURNEY NOW, GOD DAMN IT!!!!!!
Don't stop believin' Darnk

1 User Agreed:
Old 04-10-2012, 06:45 PM   #342 (permalink)

My Mood:
And has this thread turned into a "you said ______, no i didn't, yes you did, NO I DIDN'T! YES YOU DID!!!"????????????????????????????????????
1 User Hugged You:
1 User Agreed:
Old 04-10-2012, 06:56 PM   #343 (permalink)

What the cuss?!??

Quote:
And has this thread turned into a "you said ______, no i didn't, yes you did, NO I DIDN'T! YES YOU DID!!!"????????????????????????????????????
True.

But when the I will claim you said X, but will scream bloody murder when asked to back up my claim with an actual quote people win, we all lose.

I was looking at a Linux forum some time back and found this great-if-cranky list of tactics used by anti-Linux, FUD-spreading forum posters:

http://techrights.org/wiki/index.php..._Troll_Tactics

Not that FUD is being spread here, of course. But bad posting habits are bad posting habits, no matter what the topic.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:53 PM   #344 (permalink)
Letting It Go

*SLU Supporter*

Because I can! That's why!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: This time: 10/12/2010
Client: A few different ones

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
I'm sorry to say, but some people have waaaaay too much time on their hands. But I like Journey! And Randy Jackson once played with them! So, Oh Sherry!

"There is no problem so large that it can't be solved by brute force and ignorance."
~Siggy Romulus (11/13/12)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shilohlyric/
http://shilohlyric.wordpress.com/
Shiloh Lyric is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 04-11-2012, 05:39 AM   #345 (permalink)
That Bitch

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
ME: you said X
You: Prove it!
ME: <quotes posts>
You: That's not what I meant!
ME: then why did you write it?
You: I never said that!
ME: Yes, You did.
ME: Again?
You: You're a troll!
ME: :: sigh :: <clicks ignore on the closet case>
1 User Hugged You:
Old 04-11-2012, 02:08 PM   #346 (permalink)

My Mood:
1 User Said Yay!:
1 User Hugged You:
Old 04-11-2012, 05:06 PM   #347 (permalink)

What the cuss?!??

Quote:
ME: you said X
ME: <quotes posts>
That is precisely what I've been asking you to do.

Since you've failed to do so, your scenario turns into fiction the moment it gets past this line.

I hope that you will, indeed, back up your "you said X" claim with quotations that show me saying "X".

(Instead of merely pasting all my posts into an omnibus post and declaring 'job done.' If you claim I said "X," then post the actual sentence in which I said "X." It isn't brain surgery! It really isn't!)