The Victimization of Atheists - Page 3 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » The Victimization of Atheists

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
Lionheart Virtual Estate - Experience the Difference!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2012, 09:26 PM   #51 (permalink)
Abnormally Normal
I Don't Really Exist Do I ?

My Mood:
Client: I try all of them, but for everyday use it's Cool VL Viewer.
I recently 'discussed' the issue of where the Power of Swear or Cuss words comes from - in my position of the subject I hypothesized that they were all based in religious dogma - and that they should have no meaning to a person who claims to be an Atheist.

Still, he was offended by the use of such a word towards him. He claimed that it was because of the intent behind the use of the word that caused the offense to be taken. I argued that was nonsense, he was an Atheist after all and so there was no contextual offense to be had, that it was because he had grown up and been surrounded by people who actually did take offense to it and due to that environment he responded to it as an offense.
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:37 PM   #52 (permalink)
Prim Fancier

*SLU Supporter*

Current status [twirly]

My Mood:
SL Join Date: January, 2007
Client: v3

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggiedoll Alter View Post
Plenty of people are perfectly nice about their religion.
Absolutely. And they are generally the ones who are content with their own choices and who usually resist trying to convert others.

Quote:
I think that a person -- whether decent or an asshole -- ends up exaggerated about religion. People take on religious beliefs that conform to who they are more than the other way around. Then they believe that God is on there side, whichever side that is, more or less attributing their own conscience (or lack thereof) to a supreme being.
I have to disagree with this. I don't think every religious person ends up being exaggerated (if by exaggerated you mean dogmatic, fundamentalist missionary style) about their religion. Belief is such an entirely subjective thing and is unique to the individual. A person may have unshakeable beliefs, that != they try and convert others who don't share it.

Many, many people adopt a religion in the hopes of conforming to a society and what is prevalent/powerful in that society. Especially when you have political neo-conservatives seducing the (previously anti-political) fundamentalist Christian groups into politics, dragging their flocks behind them. When the population sees the amount of power being wielded by the politicians and their hand in glove attitude towards fundamentalist church rhetoric, that will influence choices of the population.

It's like a self-fulfilling prophecy: where you have aspiring political leaders trying to out-do each other on the fundamentalist Christian 'ethics' ideal, the fundamentalist Christian ideal gets more and more strident and frothy until other voices are criticized for being unpatriotic!! And just what the hell does religion have to do with patriotism?! NOTHING. Unless your governmental ethical system is predicated on the game of one-up-manship in fundamentalist values with your rival for power.

Oh and then have a 'News' broadcaster reduce the news to biased, 'god-fearing' infotainment commentary.

Quote:
In a way it's already separated, people just don't realize it.
I agree that not every religious person is an asshat. Most of them are indeed very nice. Unfortunately the ones speaking out the loudest are complete bigots with an axe to grind.

Quote:
Cristiano We need to make 'endless celestial sex' into a thing.
Quote:
His Evol Holiness Trout of Troutlandia:
::The Temptress General Circle Widdershins, Dasher of Desires, Crusher of the Dreams of Mankind, Denter of Fenders, and High Priestess of The Temple of Carnage and Unholy Vice. She Whose Mere Presence Causes Her Enemies to Drop To Their Knees and Await Their Terrible Fate in Grim Obedience to Her Siren's Wail.::
Circle Widdershins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:39 PM   #53 (permalink)
Provincial Sharia-slun

Jesus is coming. Look busy!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: August 21, 2007
Client: Anything But 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
I recently 'discussed' the issue of where the Power of Swear or Cuss words comes from - in my position of the subject I hypothesized that they were all based in religious dogma - and that they should have no meaning to a person who claims to be an Atheist.

Still, he was offended by the use of such a word towards him. He claimed that it was because of the intent behind the use of the word that caused the offense to be taken. I argued that was nonsense, he was an Atheist after all and so there was no contextual offense to be had, that it was because he had grown up and been surrounded by people who actually did take offense to it and due to that environment he responded to it as an offense.
Ever heard, "The meaning of the message is the response it illicits"?

U.S. Only
Casey Pelous is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Yay!:
Old 02-12-2012, 09:52 PM   #54 (permalink)
Pedantic Geek

SL Join Date: 1/30/2008
Business: Perception
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circle Widdershins View Post
I have to disagree with this. I don't think every religious person ends up being exaggerated (if by exaggerated you mean dogmatic, fundamentalist missionary style) about their religion.
No, I meant that it exaggerates themselves. An asshole believes that God agrees with his asshattery, and a person who respects others believes that God wants them to respect others.

People attribute their own basic beliefs to their religion, and it makes them more confident (?) about those things.
Maggiedoll Alter is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 02-12-2012, 10:23 PM   #55 (permalink)
That template guy

Meshing Around

My Mood:
Business: CMFF
I personally wouldn't join an atheist group that existed solely for the purpose of getting together with a bunch of other atheists to say " Yay! We're awesome!" If I wanted that I'd become an Evangelical. That said, in a country where bigotry is as strong against atheists as it is I fully support any group that fights to strengthen the separation of church and state, fights against anti-atheist bigotry in the workplace, law, military and anywhere else, and that gives support to people who suffer under those circumstances or who are tentatively throwing off the bonds of religious indoctrination. Those are all worthy goals, and goals that many religious people also support. The fact that it's often the most strident and often overbearing atheists who fight the hardest for these things can be off-putting for sure, but it doesn't diminish the worthiness of their goals.
Chip Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:29 PM   #56 (permalink)

The only time atheism matters is when someone violates the constitution by asking what church you were baptized/confirmed in. Then you know they intend to violate the law of the land.
Ann Otoole is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Laughed:
1 User Agreed:
Old 02-12-2012, 10:39 PM   #57 (permalink)

Eris is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
2 Users Like This:
Old 02-12-2012, 11:28 PM   #58 (permalink)
Kitten Fuzz

SL Join Date: May 2004

Special Achievement in Thread Titling 
I just want to make it clear that I am a compassionate person and I was fuzzy, personally, on how I felt about atheists being persecuted because for me, it seemed ... exaggerated. Hearing George H. W. Bush talk about denying citizenship to atheists as if they were some kind of organized Satanist group didn't mean me to me, a nonreligious person, though ostensibly it would mean me.

I don't mean to step on anybody's toes or minimize their personal experiences; I want to hear about everybody's personal experiences.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:42 PM   #59 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

Editing my edit

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May, 2005
Client: Firestorm

Awards: 4
Special Achievement In Creepy Avatar Threads 
I just realized why the title of this thread has been making me feel uncomfortable. (I realize they weren't your words, Lo, but taken from the article you cited.)

I don't see myself as a victim. My atheism is a conscious choice for me, the result of struggling and searching most of my life for what *I* felt was intellectually honest rather than a regurgitation of someone else's ancient notions of the universe.

That doesn't mean I don't think atheists are persecuted. I do think (hell, I know for a fact) that this culture has a deeply embedded disliking for people who reject their God. I don't think I can be anything other than an atheist, quite frankly, but I refuse to use it to take the label of victim.
1 User Agreed:
Old 02-13-2012, 12:08 AM   #60 (permalink)
Coming to a theater near you!

My Mood:
Alright, since it's asked for, personal story-time.

For a while, I was working in southern Georgia while attending classes. I was fortunate to be white, female, nonthreatening, and able to fake Christianity enough to pass; but a couple of my friends, notably guys, were not nearly as lucky. One remarked to me over the weekend that his boss had been asking increasingly leading questions about what church he attended, with my friend trying to brush it off as casually as possible, without ever saying explicitly that he belonged to a church at all. He had far more compunctions than I did about lying about my religious beliefs.

The following week, he was let go. The reason given? "Unsatisfactory customer service." The irony, of course, is that I had seen his name listed as one of the top five most complimented employees on the leaderboard at the front of the store every time I had gone in to say hi to him. The person who handled his unemployment benefits further told him that the manager/owner had attempted to withold paying him, that he had tried to say that my friend had stolen from the store. When she asked for proof, the man had stumbled over several excuses as to why he didn't have any documentation, or why he hadn't contacted the police.

Myself, I'm still in a customer service position. At least several times a week I will hear something along the lines of "You're such a nice, Christian girl." There've been a handful of times where I've smiled and said, "I'm actually not Christian, but thank you for the compliment." A couple of those times, I've been told that the same people who had just verbally complimented me then proceeded to send in written complaints about me. So I don't mention it anymore, and receive no complaints whatsoever.

So let me just say...Neither I nor my male friends are what I'd consider 'activists'. Neither of us sought to actively pursue some agenda. We all just wanted to quietly live our lives. It was other people who sought clarification from us as to what our religion was, and got upset when we didn't fit into their view of what people should be.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:24 AM   #61 (permalink)
aka Gem

Resident Evil Pinko Atheist Tree-Hugging Commie Goth

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2008/02/07
Client: Firestorm (in Phoenix Mode!), Cool VL Viewer, Singularity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Pelous View Post
In large swaths of the US, "What church do you attend?" is as common a question as, "What do you do for a living?", etc.

"None" is NOT the correct answer. VERY not.
True. And it was so in the '90s as well, when I traveled through the States.
Telling them which country I grew up in (East Germany), and my expensive (for an atheist) knowledge of the Bible was an excuse I got easily away with though: They simply believed that those "bad godless commies over there" just never had allowed me to go find the "truth" and infected poor me with their "godless teachings".

What is "real", what's "virtual"?

eighthdwarf Checchinato is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Hugged You:
Old 02-13-2012, 12:47 AM   #62 (permalink)
That template guy

Meshing Around

My Mood:
Business: CMFF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo Jacobs View Post
I just want to make it clear that I am a compassionate person and I was fuzzy, personally, on how I felt about atheists being persecuted because for me, it seemed ... exaggerated. Hearing George H. W. Bush talk about denying citizenship to atheists as if they were some kind of organized Satanist group didn't mean me to me, a nonreligious person, though ostensibly it would mean me.

I don't mean to step on anybody's toes or minimize their personal experiences; I want to hear about everybody's personal experiences.
It can be hard to see depending on where you live. Where I grew up the people are very religious. There are more churches than bars, and there's a lot of not just religious, but freakishly, disturbingly religious people. But I was young enough when I lived there that it never affected my life.

Since then I've lived near NYC and DC and it's very atheist friendly here. I've overheard religious people say some truly obnoxious anti-athiest stuff but I've never encountered discrimination or had a bad reaction when telling someone I'm an atheist. It's either no big deal or people find it interesting. What it's like here is nothing at all like it is in places in the South, Midwest, and other scattered pockets. It's like Children of the Corn in a lot of places in this country.
Chip Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 02-13-2012, 08:32 AM   #63 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

Singing along with old music

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Oct 4 2009
Where I live, our church was 'threatened' with the 'We hope God strikes them with lightning' because we had an atheist as a guest speaker. Sometimes I wonder if they are alone at the bottom of the 'horribles' since Pagan get much the same treatment, and the UUS do too, even though technically they are christians too [personally, I find them to be closer as a whole to being real ones, but that's me]. I'm a UU, but I still don't consider myself christian, because I don't want to be associated with the hypocritical ones who use religion for power instead of spirituality.

I think that if there is to be no state religion, that religion should also stay out of politics - and the hope of our founding fathers that all are welcome should be honoured, not trashed to use faith to control people [which it is and has been since at least the Nicene council].
2 Users Agreed:
Old 02-13-2012, 08:48 AM   #64 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

Head of the SLU Troll Tax Administration

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2006

The 2 Millionth Post Award 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aribeth Zelin View Post
I'm a UU, but I still don't consider myself christian, because I don't want to be associated with the hypocritical ones who use religion for power instead of spirituality.
One reason I still consider myself UU is that Christianity is optional. You can believe or not believe in anything and still be UU to your core. The ideals are ones that can cross all lines of faith or lack of faith.

"You present yourself as all sweetness and light, but it's not the first time that your mask has slipped a little." -- Arkady Arkright
Beebo Brink is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
Old 02-13-2012, 08:58 AM   #65 (permalink)

I finally got it all together, but now I forget where I put it.

My Mood:
<failed attempt at humor> I was driving through Lancaster County, PA this weekend and I saw a church sign that said, "Evangelical Free Church." I said to my SO, "Hey look! They're so proud of not having evangelicals in their church they decided to advertise it!" </failed attempt at humor>

Some of the most dishonest morally bankrupt people I have known have been supposed people of faith.

I don't care about the religion or lack of religion of my banker. I care about if he's competent to do the job.

I would like to say I don't care about the religion of the president, but I really don't want a Mormon president. I'd much rather have an atheist president.

I might care slightly about the religion of my therapist just because it is nice to know that my therapist understands my perspective, and the various factors that are at play because of my religious beliefs. Even if the therapist is an ex-member of my religious group, and currently a practicing atheist, it would be nice to know that he or she gets it.
Zaida Gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 02-13-2012, 09:32 AM   #66 (permalink)

meaniehead

My Mood:

Speaking of funny church signs, we came across one that said "there are no atheists in hell" a while back. I was like *whew*, guess I don't have to worry about that.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:03 AM   #67 (permalink)
Dead Guy

Expert Witless

My Mood:
Humor time? I believe it was Trout who once said: "I don't always believe in god, but when I do, I drink Dos Equis"

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in.
Asher Bertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:44 AM   #68 (permalink)

Still Alive

My Mood:
It's a funny thing. I think there is a certain stigma attached to the word 'atheist' itself.

I live in the UK. We are, on the whole, a much, much less religious lot than America. If you believe the statistics, somewhere around 35% of Brits will answer 'yes' when asked if you believe in God. Of those, a tiny fraction actively go to church or practice any religious beliefs.

But in my experience, if you follow up with the majority who say no and ask 'so you're an atheist, then?', they look at you in horror like you might as well have asked 'so you're a devil worshipping satanist, then?'

I call myself an atheist. A lot of people berate me for it, if we ever stray onto the subject, calling me closed minded for not being agnostic.

But then, a lot of people, even those that call themselves agnostic, don't really use the correct definition of agnosticism. They describe themselves as agnostic and in the same breath use it to demonstrate how open minded they are, like it's a middle ground between believing or not: 'I'll believe it when you prove it' (basically, 'Pics or it didn't happen!').

But actually, agnosticism is the belief that you can't possibly KNOW of the existence of <deity>. So it's not really a middle ground at all; someone who describes themselves as agnostic can also be an atheist or theist.

Which is, in truth, somewhere around where I sit. I'm an 'agnostic atheist' - but it's easier to just describe yourself as an atheist.

I have never really been victimized for it, as it's the basically the default position in my country, even if my fellow countrymen struggle to define themselves clearly.

Right. That's far too much seriousness for one day. Therefore I shall post lolcats in response to any reply.

Last edited by Kris Ritter; 02-13-2012 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Clarifying a point that didn't make sense in context. But then I rarely make sense.
Kris Ritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:47 AM   #69 (permalink)
Pedantic Geek

SL Join Date: 1/30/2008
Business: Perception
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Midnight View Post
That said, in a country where bigotry is as strong against atheists as it is I fully support any group that fights to strengthen the separation of church and state, fights against anti-atheist bigotry in the workplace, law, military and anywhere else, and that gives support to people who suffer under those circumstances or who are tentatively throwing off the bonds of religious indoctrination. Those are all worthy goals, and goals that many religious people also support.
Why call it an atheist organization if an organization has the goals that you mentioned? As you point out, plenty of religious people support those goals too. Making it a specifically atheists organization would just exclude potential supporters.
Maggiedoll Alter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:47 AM   #70 (permalink)

Getting Back There

My Mood:
Client: Exodus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Ritter View Post

Right. That's far too much seriousness for one day. Therefore I shall post lolcats in response to any reply.

Wrong Weatherwax is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 02-13-2012, 12:04 PM   #71 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

Editing my edit

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Ritter View Post
But then, a lot of people, even those that call themselves agnostic, don't really use the correct definition of agnosticism. They describe themselves as agnostic and in the same breath use it to demonstrate how open minded they are, like it's a middle ground between believing or not: 'I'll believe it when you prove it' (basically, 'Pics or it didn't happen!').

But actually, agnosticism is the belief that you can't possibly KNOW of the existence of <deity>. So it's not really a middle ground at all; someone who describes themselves as agnostic can also be an atheist or theist.
There's a whole spectrum full of minute gradations between "believer" and "hard atheist".

Personally I don't understand how anyone can insist beyond a reasonable doubt that there cannot be any powerful unknown force behind the universe. To me, that's as counter-intuitive as saying that there definitively is a Judaic God who handed down the Ten Commandments written on stone tablets.

My own position leans heavily toward atheism in that I see no convincing reason to invest belief in gods. The universe (as we know it) works fine without supernatural agents. To me it's an unnecessary layer in our definition of the universe. But that doesn't mean that I'm closed to such belief if someone offers incontrovertible scientific proof.

Like ... if beautiful beings with golden wings floated down out of a sunbeam and gave me the secrets of life...

Or they could be porpoises...
Cindy Claveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:11 PM   #72 (permalink)

Still Alive

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy Claveau View Post
My own position leans heavily toward atheism in that I see no convincing reason to invest belief in gods. <le snip> But that doesn't mean that I'm closed to such belief if someone offers incontrovertible scientific proof.
That's exactly my position too, Cindy. That's why it can be difficult to convey your position in a word like 'atheist' or in my case 'agnostic atheist'.

I've quite literally had people respond to my saying I'm an atheist with 'so if He came down and proved His existence beyond any shadow of a doubt, you STILL wouldn't believe?!'
Kris Ritter is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
Old 02-13-2012, 12:15 PM   #73 (permalink)
Alleged Senior Member
Gobsmacked by Perfidy

SL Join Date: July 27, 2007
Client: Exodus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Midnight View Post
I personally wouldn't join an atheist group that existed solely for the purpose of getting together with a bunch of other atheists to say " Yay! We're awesome!" If I wanted that I'd become an Evangelical. That said, in a country where bigotry is as strong against atheists as it is I fully support any group that fights to strengthen the separation of church and state, fights against anti-atheist bigotry in the workplace, law, military and anywhere else, and that gives support to people who suffer under those circumstances or who are tentatively throwing off the bonds of religious indoctrination. Those are all worthy goals, and goals that many religious people also support. The fact that it's often the most strident and often overbearing atheists who fight the hardest for these things can be off-putting for sure, but it doesn't diminish the worthiness of their goals.
My favorite of these is Home | Americans United
Cajsa Lilliehook is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 02-13-2012, 12:52 PM   #74 (permalink)

meaniehead

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy Claveau View Post
There's a whole spectrum full of minute gradations between "believer" and "hard atheist".

Personally I don't understand how anyone can insist beyond a reasonable doubt that there cannot be any powerful unknown force behind the universe. To me, that's as counter-intuitive as saying that there definitively is a Judaic God who handed down the Ten Commandments written on stone tablets.

My own position leans heavily toward atheism in that I see no convincing reason to invest belief in gods. The universe (as we know it) works fine without supernatural agents. To me it's an unnecessary layer in our definition of the universe. But that doesn't mean that I'm closed to such belief if someone offers incontrovertible scientific proof.

Like ... if beautiful beings with golden wings floated down out of a sunbeam and gave me the secrets of life...

Or they could be porpoises...
Tracer Graves is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Yay!:
3 Users Agreed:
Old 02-13-2012, 01:24 PM   #75 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

Editing my edit

My Mood:

Cindy Claveau is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Yay!: