That Christian Compassion - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » That Christian Compassion

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
Lionheart Virtual Estate - Experience the Difference!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 03:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Grand Cabal Leader

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Dec 2002
Business: ANOmations
Client: Viewer 2
Send a message via Yahoo to Cristiano Send a message via Skype™ to Cristiano
That Christian Compassion

A 16 year old girl who won a legal battle to have a prayer banner removed from her public school has been the target of abuse and threats from Christian students and community members:

That Christian compassion | Blag Hag

Cristiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
collared, owned, content

On the dirty side of SL

My Mood:
The behavior of so called 'christians' never suprises me anymore. They always seem to resort to threats, name calling and harrassment everytime they don't get their way.

Find me on Twitter @potosiabonwood
Potosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Persistent Participant

Kaw-EE-mee

My Mood:
When my daughter played high school basket ball it was always the team from the private Christian school that played the dirtiest. Just saying.
Kaimi Kyomoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Along with Athena, move also your hand

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Yesterday
Im not surprised, in Everquest the really evil guys were the high elf paladins.
Twisted Pharaoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned
veritas, bonitas, pulchritudo, sanctitas

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 12/24/2003
Send a message via AIM to Beau Perkins Send a message via Yahoo to Beau Perkins
Christian or not Christian this is bullying and most states have laws in place now to stop it.

Edit to add- At least in this part of the country that I know of. If other States do not, they should before another child kills themself or is harmed.
Beau Perkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

This is why I remain content in my decision to ignore Twitter until the fad passes.
Amity Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
In Significance

45% Mesh Resistant

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/14/2009
Client: Firestorm, occasionally Singularity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaimi Kyomoon View Post
When my daughter played high school basket ball it was always the team from the private Christian school that played the dirtiest. Just saying.
I learned all my best dirty jokes at bible camp. From the counselors.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

My Mood:
In my town three young men have killed themselves over the last two years. Most recently a week ago. My daughter is friends with him. My daughter knows first hand that two of them were for bullying. The most recent was after the kid broke up with his long time girl friend and she spread nasty rumors through the hole town. Somehow, the only option he saw was killing himself?

That rips my heart. Teens need to realize everyone they are effecting. I even have compassion for that girl that will have this haunting her for life. If it is'nt now, it will and I hope she face some kind of criminal charges. The victims family is due in my eyes.

While it does piss me off more this is a group of Christian kids making headlines for people like you. It doesn't matter, I hate bullying.
1 User Hugged You:
Old 01-15-2012, 07:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
In Significance

45% Mesh Resistant

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/14/2009
Client: Firestorm, occasionally Singularity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau Perkins View Post
[...] making headlines for people like you.
Excuse me? People like whom, exactly?
Doctor Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 01-15-2012, 07:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorZen View Post
Excuse me? People like whom, exactly?
Heh, oh geez. Sorry honestly, poor choice of words.

This forum has an abbundance of people who like to share stories of the many asshole Christians out there. I should not address everyone as a whole like I did. Please forgive me.
1 User Hugged You:
Old 01-15-2012, 07:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

My Mood:
Oh man, typo had "lie" instead of "like" in my previous post. Can you think of a worse typo to change the meaning of a statement.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
Queen of the Metaverse

Sniffin' nose dog

My Mood:
Rep Peter G. Palumbo (D RI) Called her an "Evil little thing". I can't imagine anything more vile than an elected official attacking a 16 year old girl like this. How can people like this get elected?

Unleash the Kraken on Peter G. Palumbo! | Pharyngula

All the cool kids are following me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/aimee

Aimee Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 01-15-2012, 11:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
Jungian Archeotype #3

Member of the Millinary Service

My Mood:
Business: Paintree Designs
Client: Varies
I note that prayers and bible readings and such things are rabidly defended as necessary to instil a proper sense of right and wrong, a working sense of moral conciousness.

It's been up for fifty-odd years. If it's achieved anything, it's the complete opposite.

Goddess, I love living on Zindra. And anywhere in second life, for that matter, where I can mute, ban, orbit or de-render anything that annoys me. In real life, you can't teleport away from people such as this.

And people such as this are always the first to condemn "escaping from reality" as being a bad thing. Of course, it is... you are escaping from a reality they control.
DeNovo Broome is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 01-15-2012, 11:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crazy Cat Herder

Eight Legged Geek

Quote:
This forum has an abbundance of people who like to share stories of the many asshole Christians out there. I should not address everyone as a whole like I did. Please forgive me.
This is not only a story of some asshole Christians. It is also a story of moderate Christians failing to show solidarity with this girl and to do same thing she did, namely opposing the unconstitutional encroachment of religion into the public education system, the government, and other areas of public life. This girl is a true patriot, imho.
Tardigrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:41 PM   #15 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

Editing my edit

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May, 2005
Client: Firestorm

Awards: 4
Special Achievement In Creepy Avatar Threads 
Quote:
We also call out the occasional asshole atheist. But the fact remains, anyone who fashions themselves as a loving, forgiving Christian and then engages in bigotry and hypocrisy deserves to have the spotlight of shame pointed at them.

We don't owe anyone any apologies for that. After all, if some of these bigots had their way, there'd be laws against any belief but theirs.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:21 AM   #16 (permalink)
aka Gem

Resident Evil Pinko Atheist Tree-Hugging Commie Goth

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2008/02/07
Client: Firestorm (in Phoenix Mode!), Cool VL Viewer, Singularity
by the way - and in words even our Bible-thumbing troll Perphidy can understand:
Here are some words by the very person these "Christians" claim to follow

Matth 5:43-47
Quote:
You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that?
So much for the threatening comments online over as small a bagatelle as a taken-down transparent.

Matth 6: 1, 5-6
Quote:
Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.
And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
So much for the prayers in public buildings that aren't churches nor chapels. Or for prayer transparents in schools.

Matth 7:1-2
Quote:
Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.
"Evil little thing", huh?

Matth 12:7; 37
Quote:
If you had known what these words mean, ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice,’ you would not have condemned the innocent.

For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned.
Pretty much self-explaining.

Oh, and Matthew 23 entirely.

Mark 9:42
Quote:
And if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to be thrown into the sea with a large millstone tied around his neck.
- good riddance then to the Talibangelical preachers and their followers who are parents and teach their children to hate others.

Mark 9:50
Quote:
…and be at peace with one another.
Does that involve threats against health and life of a classmate, of any person in general?

Luke 6: 35-37
Quote:
But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful. Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven.
etc etc etc

What is "real", what's "virtual"?

Last edited by eighthdwarf Checchinato; 01-16-2012 at 04:53 AM.
eighthdwarf Checchinato is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
4 Users Said Thanks :
Old 01-16-2012, 04:41 AM   #17 (permalink)

Along with Athena, move also your hand

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Yesterday
Quote:
it would be better for him to be thrown into the sea with a large millstone tied around his neck.
Where did Bin Laden go?
Twisted Pharaoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:23 AM   #18 (permalink)
That Bitch

*SLU Supporter*

Innocent as far as you know

My Mood:
SL Join Date: late 04 original account, mid 05 current
Quote:
[...]this is a group of Christian kids making headlines for people like you. It doesn't matter, I hate bullying.
I think you are projecting more than a bit... the reason so many people share stories like this isn't because of hatred of the christian religion per se (although I'm sure there are a few)...

... it's distaste for hypocrites and bigots hiding behind religion (a religion that I would like to point out more often shelters those same bigots and hypocrites, rather than decry them. not just in word, but in action too.)
It's not enough to care about liberty if the only liberty you care about is your own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter Firelyte View Post
Why doesn't anyone ever ask, "What is the real meaning of the winter solstice?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eboni Khan View Post
Thanks for being passive agressive.
Void is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:43 AM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tardigrade View Post
This is not only a story of some asshole Christians. It is also a story of moderate Christians failing to show solidarity with this girl and to do same thing she did, namely opposing the unconstitutional encroachment of religion into the public education system, the government, and other areas of public life. This girl is a true patriot, imho.
I do not think the hanging of the banner was against the constitution in the first place.

What I am saying is it does not matter. They are bullying her. If these kids think they are in the right, go appeal or something, not ruin some girls life because she was smart enough to beat them in court. I am 100% any group of people ganging up on another person.

I condemn their reaction to her getting the prayer banner removed. I am not saying I agree with it ever being unconstitutional however.
1 User Agreed:
Old 01-16-2012, 08:56 AM   #20 (permalink)
Account Closed

*SLU Supporter*
Meh

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 01/26/06
Business: .( bewildebeest ).
Yes, it was. It's a direct imposition of religion by a government entity.
Coyote Momiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:10 AM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote Momiji View Post
Yes, it was. It's a direct imposition of religion by a government entity.
Was it? Or was it a group of kids who wanted a banner hung?

Direct imposition of religion by government in my eyes, would be if they made someone get down and pray to a God they don't believe in. If they force people to join a religion.

I do have a different issue with the banner that does not involve the Constitution. It effects quality of education. It obviously has caused a big enough distraction to the purpose of the school. The kids are there to learn, not evangelize. If something they hang on the wall causes such a big stir and is creating drama for these kids, the school should have removed it in the first place.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:11 AM   #22 (permalink)
Account Closed

*SLU Supporter*
Meh

My Mood:
The school should never have put it up in the first place. Hope that helps.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:14 AM   #23 (permalink)
Banned

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote Momiji View Post
The school should never have put it up in the first place. Hope that helps.
I was under the impression the students put it up. Yeah then maybe I agree more with you. A school has no right to put up a banner that promotes any religion. Stick to teaching the academics.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:15 AM   #24 (permalink)
Account Closed

*SLU Supporter*
Meh

My Mood:
*Studying* a religion is one thing, though there'd be an uproar over a neutral examination of Christianity or Islam.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:19 AM   #25 (permalink)
aka Gem

Resident Evil Pinko Atheist Tree-Hugging Commie Goth

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2008/02/07
Client: Firestorm (in Phoenix Mode!), Cool VL Viewer, Singularity
Quote:
I am not saying I agree with it ever being unconstitutional however.
But it is.

SANTA FE INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT v :: 530 U.S. 290 :: Full Text :: US Supreme Court Cases from Justia & Oyez

(which was about prayers at sports games)
Quote:
The Constitution demands that schools not force on students the difficult choice between attending these games and avoiding personally offensive religious rituals.
The Court also rejects the District's argument that respondents' facial challenge to the policy necessarily must fail because it is premature: No invocation has as yet been delivered under the policy. This argument assumes that the Court is concerned only with the serious constitutional injury that occurs when a student is forced to participate in an act of religious worship because she chooses to attend a school event. But the Constitution also requires that the Court keep in mind the myriad, subtle ways in which Establishment Clause values can be eroded, Lynch v. Donnelly, 465 U. S. 668, 694, and guard against other different, yet equally important, constitutional injuries. One is the mere passage by the District of a policy that has the purpose and perception of government establishment of religion. See, e. g., Bowen v. Kendrick, 487 U. S. 589, 602; Lemon v. Kurtzman, 403 U. S. 602, 612. As discussed above, the policy's text and the circumstances surrounding its enactment reveal that it has such a purpose. Another constitutional violation warranting the Court's attention is the District's implementation of an electoral process that subjects the issue of prayer to a majoritarian vote. Through its election scheme, the District has established a governmental mechanism that turns the school into a forum for religious debate and empowers the student body majority to subject students of minority views to constitutionally improper messages. The award of that power alone is not acceptable.
(bold by me)
eighthdwarf Checchinato is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks: