Amish in 3 states concerned over haircut attacks - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » Amish in 3 states concerned over haircut attacks

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
Lionheart Virtual Estate - Experience the Difference!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2011, 02:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

On Pandora

Awards: 1
Thread Title of the Week 
Amish in 3 states concerned over haircut attacks

Has this entire country got batshit crazy?

Quote:
MILLERSBURG, Ohio (AP) — Members of the Amish community in three states have been frightened by recent hair-cutting attacks in Ohio, making fearful calls to authorities and arming themselves with pepper spray and shotguns, a sheriff said.

Jefferson County Sheriff Fred Abdalla said Amish in Ohio, Pennsylvania and Indiana were concerned about the attacks that led federal authorities on Wednesday to raid the compound of a breakaway Amish group and charge seven men, including group leader Sam Mullet, with hate crimes.
http://news.yahoo.com/amish-3-states...073147825.html

Amish hoodlums doing drive by shavings???

Tess

Tess Whitcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 11-24-2011, 02:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Account Closed

*SLU Supporter*
Meh

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 01/26/06
Business: .( bewildebeest ).
Quote:
Sam Mullet
Coyote Momiji is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 11-24-2011, 02:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

On Pandora

Thread Title of the Week 
Picture of the Mullet Clan from the New York Times...

Tess
Old 11-24-2011, 02:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

Beards are important to them. Just as beards are important to Muslims. Just because they are Amish does not exempt them from the law. If the law bothers them that much they are free to immigrate elsewhere.
Ann Otoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 02:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

On Pandora

Thread Title of the Week 
Sadly we have to go to England and their paragon of news reporting, The Daily Mail, for the full story...

Quote:
Inside the world of the Amish 'beard cutters': Meet the 'cult leader' with 18 children who forces men to live in chicken coops if they misbehave (and takes their wives away)

Sam Mullet accused of beating and brainwashing members of his community
Accused of having sex with a number of different women on visit to the chiropractor
Former member says it may end in mass suicide or some other tragedy

Amish bishop and 'cult leader' Sam Mullet rules community with an iron fist and harsh punishments | Mail Online

Tess
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 11-24-2011, 03:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Nemo me impune lacessit

*SLU Supporter*

We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation. -Voltaire

My Mood:
Business: Radio Free Darkmere

Most Erotic Salma Hayek Youtube Clip 
Man, this is a great idea for reality TV.

AMISH DEATHMATCH
Old 11-24-2011, 03:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'm still just curious how some amish dude can be so ninja as to creep into some other guy's shack and cut his beard off without waking them up. Serious ninjas these amish dudes must be. That is like the ROK marines sneaking into enemy camps and slitting the throats of every other enemy.
Old 11-24-2011, 04:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Nemo me impune lacessit

*SLU Supporter*

We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation. -Voltaire

My Mood:
Business: Radio Free Darkmere

Most Erotic Salma Hayek Youtube Clip 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Otoole View Post
I'm still just curious how some amish dude can be so ninja as to creep into some other guy's shack and cut his beard off without waking them up. Serious ninjas these amish dudes must be. That is like the ROK marines sneaking into enemy camps and slitting the throats of every other enemy.
They use the beards they cut to weave special stealth suits ann.

With every beard they shave, they get stealthier.
Lucifer Baphomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 04:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Haggis Wrangler

*SLU Supporter*

Wibble!

Business: .::Poise::. Poses
There isn't enough 'what?' left in my head to process this after all the other crazy shit I read today.

I'm going to go to sleep and see if the notion of shotgun weilding, Amish beard ninjas makes any more sense in the morning.
Mojo Skytower is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
1 User Agreed:
Old 11-24-2011, 04:33 PM   #10 (permalink)

We have yet to begin being crazy. The 4 day holiday has just begun.
Old 11-24-2011, 05:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Pedantic Geek

SL Join Date: 1/30/2008
Business: Perception
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Otoole View Post
I'm still just curious how some amish dude can be so ninja as to creep into some other guy's shack
Well usually you can smell them from quite a distance, but that probably wouldn't apply to other Amish people..
Apparently deodorant is a technological luxury..
Maggiedoll Alter is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 11-25-2011, 09:05 AM   #12 (permalink)
aka Gem

Resident Evil Pinko Atheist Tree-Hugging Commie Goth

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2008/02/07
Client: Firestorm (in Phoenix Mode!), Cool VL Viewer, Singularity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggiedoll Alter View Post
Actually it is.
Quote:
In 1888, the first commercial deodorant, Mum, was developed and patented by a U.S. inventor in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, whose name has been lost to history. The small company was bought by Bristol-Myers in 1931 and in the late 1940s, marketing executive Edward Gelsthorpe decided to develop an applicator based on the newly invented ball-point pen. In 1952, the company began marketing the product under the name Ban Roll-On.
Look at the Amish as if they lived in a "time bubble" that conserves the area of the 16th/17th century.
Do you really think that people who don't use motor vehicles because of their devilish advanced technology (I heard that most of them think that even steam engines were too technological, hence to be rejected) would use such modern chemical stink?

What is "real", what's "virtual"?

eighthdwarf Checchinato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:10 AM   #13 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 9/2006
Is taking a bath regularly a technological evil?
Magic Mournblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:54 AM   #14 (permalink)

Watering a Shoe

My Mood:
Kokoro Fasching is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Said Yay!:
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Likes This:
Old 11-25-2011, 11:21 AM   #15 (permalink)

Editing Status

My Mood:
It's actually surprisingly been covered on the major networks evening news fairly extensively over the past few weeks or months. The guys hired a car and driver to take them to the house (which from what I understand is common practice when they need to go somewhere anonymously for long distances, but unheard of to commit local crimes), then they knocked on the door and the husband and wife sounded scared but opened the door and the husband was pulled out by his beard, IIRC.

The wife in the interview (yes this is so extreme in their culture they even granted TV interviews and spent time with the journalist) said for the first time ever they are using locks on their doors. She said they've always had them but never even considered using them.
The QuietOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:02 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crazy Cat Herder

Eight Legged Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggiedoll Alter View Post
Well usually you can smell them from quite a distance, but that probably wouldn't apply to other Amish people..
I always thought the Amish had some quaint 19th century alternative for all modern necessities of life. Something like rubbing lemon juice or flower petals under their armpits and brushing their teeth with baking soda. Kind of like the Flintstones with their dinosaur-based household appliances.
Tardigrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:06 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crazy Cat Herder

Eight Legged Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tess Whitcroft View Post
Picture of the Mullet Clan from the New York Times...

Tess
Is that what they call a front mullet? Business in the back, lice party in the front.

Btw, is it just me or do all those beards look fake?
1 User Laughed:
Old 11-25-2011, 07:55 PM   #18 (permalink)

The Doomsday Clock now stands at 21 seconds to Midnight

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jun 27, 2006
Client: 7 of them (I like testing)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tardigrade View Post
I always thought the Amish had some quaint 19th century alternative for all modern necessities of life. Something like rubbing lemon juice or flower petals under their armpits and brushing their teeth with baking soda. Kind of like the Flintstones with their dinosaur-based household appliances.
It's a common misconception that the Amish are against technology. Actually, they are against "worldly things" that would make them dependent on the outside world, or corrupt their morals. Hence they don't hook up to the power grid or watch TV. Solar panels, which they control and use themselves are fine:

Amish lead the way on embracing solar energy | cleveland.com

DanielRavenNest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:21 PM   #19 (permalink)
aka Gem

Resident Evil Pinko Atheist Tree-Hugging Commie Goth

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2008/02/07
Client: Firestorm (in Phoenix Mode!), Cool VL Viewer, Singularity
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielRavenNest View Post
It's a common misconception that the Amish are against technology. Actually, they are against "worldly things" that would make them dependent on the outside world, or corrupt their morals. Hence they don't hook up to the power grid or watch TV. Solar panels, which they control and use themselves are fine:

Amish lead the way on embracing solar energy | cleveland.com
Thank you very much. I really didn't know that, and never saw anything more modern than horse-carts in their villages.
I really had the impression of traveling through a "time bubble" when I traveled through Amish counties back then in the '90s.
Though the few ones I actually met and spoke with were very friendly and hospitable - even more than the other Americans I met.
(though that may have been because I simply respected their way of life instead of mocking them)
eighthdwarf Checchinato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:34 PM   #20 (permalink)
Pedantic Geek

SL Join Date: 1/30/2008
Business: Perception
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Mournblade View Post
Is taking a bath regularly a technological evil?
It's not that they think technology is evil at all.. it's just luxuries and status symbols that they don't do. Like they'll ride in cars, they just can't own them. (Or just not own them individually? I know sometimes they go places that just aren't practical to go by horse and buggy.. Or sometimes you'll be driving through Lancaster and an Amish boy will jump in front of your car, lean in the window, say "You have to help me! my horse and buggy got away!" and jump in the back seat next to you while your mother turns around and drives the other way to drop him off in front of the runaway horse... )
But if you're out in the sun farming, whether or not you've taken a bath recently is irrelevant. You're gonna stink.

Quote:
I always thought the Amish had some quaint 19th century alternative for all modern necessities of life. Something like rubbing lemon juice or flower petals under their armpits and brushing their teeth with baking soda..
If they were as effective, why do we use other stuff? If lemon juice and flower petals will work just as well as modern deoderant, I might start doing that myself!
But they don't have a problem with modern technology in general, It's more about luxuries. And being apart from the world.

Maybe not wanting to smell like you've been out sweating in the sun when you have been out sweating in the sun is vanity?
Maggiedoll Alter is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 11-25-2011, 08:36 PM   #21 (permalink)
Crazy Cat Herder

Eight Legged Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by eighthdwarf Checchinato View Post
(though that may have been because I simply respected their way of life instead of mocking them)
Ouch But fair enough.

I've also never thought of the Amish as green living communities who embrace modern, environmentally friendly technology, so this is an interesting bit of information. I've previously viewed them simply as a backwards religious sect, and I have a personal reason to be less than fond of such sects (it has something to do with my bible knowledge).

I guess there is no reason why they can't be both, and this information slightly increases my respect for their way of life. Emphasis on "slightly", because there is still the matter of brainwashing children, shielding them from the real world, and often rendering them incapable to function in the mainstream society.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:36 PM   #22 (permalink)
Abby Normal

Always on the Outside... looking In

SL Join Date: April 2004
Business: Firestorm Support
Client: Firestorm
Quote:
Ouch But fair enough.

I've also never thought of the Amish as green living communities who embrace modern, environmentally friendly technology, so this is an interesting bit of information. I've previously viewed them simply as a backwards religious sect, and I have a personal reason to be less than fond of such sects (it has something to do with my bible knowledge).

I guess there is no reason why they can't be both, and this information slightly increases my respect for their way of life. Emphasis on "slightly", because there is still the matter of brainwashing children, shielding them from the real world, and often rendering them incapable to function in the mainstream society.
You are aware are you not that when Amish children come of age they are sent out into the "real world" for a period of time and are also given the choice to either stay in the "real world" or return? Unless I am mistaken they are also allowed to leave if they decide later on they want to as well as return if they decide they no longer want to live in the "real world".
"All rocks go to Heaven." ~ Our Lady of Martyrs Catholic Church
“Half of what I say is meaningless; but I say it so that the other half may reach you.” ~ Kahlil Gibral
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 11-26-2011, 01:01 AM   #23 (permalink)
Crazy Cat Herder

Eight Legged Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfEyes View Post
You are aware are you not that when Amish children come of age they are sent out into the "real world" for a period of time and are also given the choice to either stay in the "real world" or return? Unless I am mistaken they are also allowed to leave if they decide later on they want to as well as return if they decide they no longer want to live in the "real world".
Yes, I've seen that in a TV show. But this tradition does little to change my opinion about the indoctrination of children. If someone has been taught from a young age that the outside world is evil, sinful and spiritually dangerous, they can't simply shake this belief off. There are safeguards built into religious world views that are very effective at preventing deconversion, such as threats of eternal punishment.

Besides, someone who has been raised in a fundamentalist community is often ill prepared to cope with modern mainstream life. But the biggest deterrent is probably the thought of losing contact with and alienating oneself from friends and family members. I doubt that many young Amish take this step. In my experience, the decision to leave a religious cult is only made by people with a certain (analytical?) mindset that was incompatible with religious ideas from a young age, so that these ideas could never really take root.
1 User Agreed:
Old 11-26-2011, 01:12 AM   #24 (permalink)
Abby Normal

Always on the Outside... looking In

SL Join Date: April 2004
Business: Firestorm Support
Client: Firestorm
I'm really not sure why you would call them a cult. They don't fit the definition of cult. They are a Christian church that accepts the basic tenets of Christian faith. They give special emphasis to values such as simplicity, community, separation from the world, the authority of the local church over the life of its members, separation of church and state, pacifism (which they call nonresistance), and lay leadership. Is it the seperation from the world that makes you call them a cult?
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 01:12 AM   #25 (permalink)
Crazy Cat Herder

Eight Legged Geek

Btw, religious fundamentalism is also an extremely effective way to oppress and exploit women, and to maintain a patriarchic power structure and traditional gender roles within the theoretically gender-equal mainstream society. Who knows, this might be the selective mechanism that ensures the perpetuation of fundamentalist beliefs and traditions in this day and age.

Last edited by Tardigrade; 11-26-2011 at 01:19 AM.