The Great Thanksgiving Hoax - Page 20 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » The Great Thanksgiving Hoax


Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

 
Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2011, 06:34 AM   #476 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid
 
Argent Stonecutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 18,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Otoole View Post
In Florida you can not only use lethal force to defend your home but you can use lethal force to defend yourself anywhere. Guess we floriduhnians be terroristas.
There are no limits to what you can do? You can set up unattended booby traps to gun down people who stand in front of your door too long, in case they're picking the lock? No, I'm sure there are limits, even in Florida.
__________________
Argent Stonecutter -- Skyhook Station -- Coonspiracy Store

"And now I'm going to show you something really cool."


The previous is a cybernetic datum published - in direct contravention of DoD Regulation #229RR3X3 - as being conducive to the physical, psychological and/or social well-being of the population.
Argent Stonecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:21 AM   #477 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Ann Otoole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 16,373
booby traps are illegal by themselves without being used argent.

I do find it remarkable one can gun down the masses of robbers murdering people around here almost daily and they just let you go. I guess that is called outsourcing the justice system to street judges. Saves billions of dollars.

Ann Otoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:10 AM   #478 (permalink)
state of non-being
 
Amber Guity's Avatar
The maple kind?
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Saner part of NC
Posts: 2,599
My Mood:
Client: Firestorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perphides View Post
That's a provocative statement, Kara. So a society where you are not legally able to protect your own property is "civilized?" Because I'm thinking it sounds pretty un-civilized.

Would it be "civilized" if someone carjacked you tonight on the way home? Or stole your purse as you walked out of a store? Or helped themselves to your TV set and electronics while you were away from home?

What do you think you should be able to do if you catch me trying to sneak off with your purse? Can you hit me? Subdue me? Just shout for help?

Now... what if I was really, really poor and needed your purse more than you do?
You have that backwards. Civilized is not NEEDING to defend your stuff. Civilized is living in a society where steps are taken to PREVENT crime, not punish after the fact, or allow common citizens to punish. Same argument applies to the death penalty being a "deterrent". It basically locks the barn door after the horses have bolted.
Amber Guity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:12 AM   #479 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid
 
Argent Stonecutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 18,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Otoole View Post
booby traps are illegal by themselves without being used argent.
I'm at a loss how to respond to this without seeming sarcastic.

They're illegal because there is, in fact, a limit to the force you can use to protect your property. There are countries (or parts of the world that are given that name for lack of a better one) where that's not true. You don't want to live there.
Argent Stonecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 11-26-2011, 10:15 AM   #480 (permalink)
Senior Member

*SLU Supporter*
 
Han Held's Avatar
Pubbie4Lyfe!
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 6,982
My Mood:
SL Join Date: 06/14/2005 then 04/06/2008
Client: Singularity 1.8.6
Blog Entries: 1

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Guity View Post
You have that backwards. Civilized is not NEEDING to defend your stuff. Civilized is living in a society where steps are taken to PREVENT crime, not punish after the fact, or allow common citizens to punish. Same argument applies to the death penalty being a "deterrent". It basically locks the barn door after the horses have bolted.
Han Held is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 11-26-2011, 10:24 AM   #481 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
eighthdwarf Checchinato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 4,801
My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2008/02/07
Client: Firestorm (in Phoenix Mode!), Cool VL Viewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Guity View Post
You have that backwards. Civilized is not NEEDING to defend your stuff. Civilized is living in a society where steps are taken to PREVENT crime (and not in a "Minority Report" kind of way, but by using reason and education), not punish after the fact, or allow common citizens to punish. Same argument applies to the death penalty being a "deterrent". It basically locks the barn door after the horses have bolted.
Fify to add the bolded text
Otherwise, 100%agree.
__________________
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go. - Oscar Wilde
I would challenge you to a battle of wits, but I see you are unarmed! - (attributed to William Shakespeare)
eighthdwarf Checchinato is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 11-26-2011, 02:15 PM   #482 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
 
Kara Spengler's Avatar
Hail Woz, the great and powerful!
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SL: November RL: DC
Posts: 20,150
SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Otoole View Post
I Guess we floriduhnians be terroristas.
Talk about a setup line ...
__________________
"The debug setting for Gender in SL (AvatarSex) is an unsigned 32bit integer value. Not a boolean. I'm still waiting to see what our other options will be. =^-^=" Imnotgoing Sideways

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:56 PM   #483 (permalink)
Banned

*SLU Supporter*
Tebowing
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: The Big City
Posts: 1,304
My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2/10/07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Guity View Post
You have that backwards. Civilized is not NEEDING to defend your stuff. Civilized is living in a society where steps are taken to PREVENT crime, not punish after the fact, or allow common citizens to punish. Same argument applies to the death penalty being a "deterrent". It basically locks the barn door after the horses have bolted.
And how do you suggest that you "prevent" ALL crime? Because as long as there is ANY crime, then people have a right to protect themselves and their property.
Perphides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 07:03 PM   #484 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Ann Otoole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 16,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perphides View Post
And how do you suggest that you "prevent" ALL crime? Because as long as there is ANY crime, then people have a right to protect themselves and their property.
When everyone is equal and has equal and feels happy with what they have and they feel no need to have more and there is no religious strife. That is the end of crime. Also the end of war. One world. One people. No "race".
Ann Otoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:22 PM   #485 (permalink)
Backroom Bureaucrat
 
Gigs's Avatar
Not troll; Possibly Orc
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,191

Awards: 1
Thread Title of the Week 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Guity View Post
Civilized is not NEEDING to defend your stuff. Civilized is living in a society where steps are taken to PREVENT crime,
We are just getting civilized, now that concealed carry is legal in most places.

And crime has gone increasingly down (faster than the general decline it was on) as gun sales and concealed carry permits have gone sharply up.

Carry a gun. Prevent crime.
__________________
-
-
"It is the paramount duty of governments and of politicians to secure the wellbeing of the community under the case in the present, and not to run risks overmuch for the future" - JM Keynes
Gigs is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 11-26-2011, 08:30 PM   #486 (permalink)
Banned

*SLU Supporter*
Tebowing
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: The Big City
Posts: 1,304
My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2/10/07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Otoole View Post
When everyone is equal and has equal and feels happy with what they have and they feel no need to have more and there is no religious strife. That is the end of crime. Also the end of war. One world. One people. No "race".
When will that be, Ann? What type of a magical universe will we live in when people have no self-interest, and one man does not want to have more than his neighbor? Why don't we repeal the law of gravity while we're at it? Now that I'm closing in on 40 I could see the benefits of that...
Perphides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:36 PM   #487 (permalink)
state of non-being
 
Amber Guity's Avatar
The maple kind?
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Saner part of NC
Posts: 2,599
My Mood:
Client: Firestorm
Given that your cynical view of our society seems to be more common than those of us who feel it shows strength of character to care for each other and help each other up from the bottom, I doubt it will ever happen. People who feel that the perfect society consists of killing each other to protect the material things they have, have lost their view of the good in all of us. And that continues the downward spiral we find ourselves in.
Amber Guity is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 11-26-2011, 09:14 PM   #488 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
 
Kara Spengler's Avatar
Hail Woz, the great and powerful!
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SL: November RL: DC
Posts: 20,150
SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigs View Post
We are just getting civilized, now that concealed carry is legal in most places.
I fail to see how carrying around something that can fire a slug that will rip through flesh, bone and organs is at ALL considered civilised by anyone!!!!!

From a physics point of view consider that you are increasing the entropy in a system. So rather than using the comparatively minimal energy to prevent a chaotic state from developing in the first place you are exerting a LOT of effort trying to resolve one. Which means using up even more energy to correct it, correct your corrections, correct your corrections to your corrections, ad infinitum. While the system may appear stable at first, the second derivative is positive so eventually any external controls will be overwhelmed.
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 11-27-2011, 11:47 AM   #489 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid
 
Argent Stonecutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 18,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
Bold = check your facts.
Fox News Boycott | Fox-Can-Lie Lawsuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Jane Akre and her husband Steve Wilson are former employees of Fox owned-and-operated station WTVT in Tampa, Florida. In 1997, they were fired from the station after refusing to knowingly include false information in their report concerning the Monsanto Company’s production of RBGH, a drug designed to make cows produce more milk. They successfully sued under Florida’s whistle blower law and were awarded a US $425,000 settlement by jury decision. However, Fox appealed to an appellate court and won, after the court declared that the FCC policy against falsification that Fox violated was just a policy and not a “law, rule, or regulation”, and so the whistle blower law did not apply.

The court agreed with WTVT’s (Fox) argument “that the FCC’s policy against the intentional falsification of the news — which the FCC has called its “news distortion policy” — does not qualify as the required “law, rule, or regulation” under section 448.102.[...] Because the FCC’s news distortion policy is not a “law, rule, or regulation” under section 448.102, Akre has failed to state a claim under the whistle-blower’s statute.”[1]

In 2001, Jane Akre and her husband won the Goldman Environmental Prize as a recognition for their report on RBGH. [2]

In 2004, Fox filed a US$1.7 million counter-suit against Akre and Wilson for trial fees and costs. Akre and Wilson both appear in a major portion of the 2004/5 critical documentary, The Corporation.

In 2007 Jane became the editor-in-chief of the national news desk at InjuryBoard.com.[3]
Argent Stonecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 11-28-2011, 11:15 AM   #490 (permalink)
sounds vaguely familiar
 
Artemis Fate's Avatar
Refreshingly Unconcerned With the Vulgar Exigencies of Veracity
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,900
SL Join Date: October 24, 2003
Business: Ko Industries
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Otoole View Post
When everyone is equal and has equal and feels happy with what they have and they feel no need to have more and there is no religious strife. That is the end of crime. Also the end of war. One world. One people. No "race".
A post-scarcity society would go a long way towards curing human conflict, but it wouldn't be the end of it, there's still be crimes of passion, crimes of insanity, crimes for the thrill, those are the sort of things that wouldn't be easy to remove without fundamentally changing the human condition.
Artemis Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:25 AM   #491 (permalink)
That Bitch

*SLU Supporter*
 
Void's Avatar
Innocent as far as you know
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Online
Posts: 14,798
My Mood:
SL Join Date: late 04 original account, mid 05 current
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Spengler View Post
I fail to see how carrying around something that can fire a slug that will rip through flesh, bone and organs is at all considered civilised by anyone!!!!! [...]
depends on the scale and the intent... if one does so to prevent entropy from degrading an ordered system, the minor loss of local order can be seen as a net gain in the larger scale... preserving a level of order is an imperative of civilization after all. (hey it's not ideal, but then ideal circumstances rarely occur)


@General Thread:
Oh how I've missed the scale of utter stupidity displayed in this thread, and watching it smacked around so skillfully (and not so skillfully)....

so just for fun I'll throw this out there... History News Network
cause a good fire needs wood.
__________________
- These eyes can do more than see
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajsa Lilliehook View Post
It's not enough to care about liberty if the only liberty you care about is your own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter Firelyte View Post
Why doesn't anyone ever ask, "What is the real meaning of the winter solstice?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eboni Khan View Post
Thanks for being passive agressive.
Void is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:20 AM   #492 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
 
Kara Spengler's Avatar
Hail Woz, the great and powerful!
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SL: November RL: DC
Posts: 20,150
SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Void View Post
depends on the scale and the intent... if one does so to prevent entropy from degrading an ordered system, the minor loss of local order can be seen as a net gain in the larger scale... preserving a level of order is an imperative of civilization after all. (hey it's not ideal, but then ideal circumstances rarely occur)
Actually, if you have even the smallest amount of chaos it will become magnified. For example, Hawking and a group of other scientists worked out how the universe went from an evenly distributed hydrogen gas to the complexity we observe today. After all, if there is an even distribution nothing ever changes because the attractions are all the same. It turns out there is no such thing as a perfectly ordered system in nature. All it takes is removing 4 (I think that is the right #) atoms and things start to move. You eventually get everything that we see now.

Yes, I said there is no such thing as a perfectly ordered system. Still, it takes far less energy to maintain that original state than trying to move the universe back to an evenly distributed gas (especially since whatever force would also need to do the same).



Quote:
Originally Posted by Void View Post
Oh how I've missed the scale of utter stupidity displayed in this thread, and watching it smacked around so skillfully (and not so skillfully)....
Because we all know physics analogies show stupidity, right? LOL



Quote:
Originally Posted by Void View Post
so just for fun I'll throw this out there... History News Network
cause a good fire needs wood.
Not surprisingly, I am more inclined to believe Russell Means (who literally put his life on the line in the 70s) than the 15th century version of the american family association.
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




SEO by vBSEO