the 99% (occupywallst.org) - Page 12 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » the 99% (occupywallst.org)

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
Lionheart Virtual Estate - Experience the Difference!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2011, 01:01 AM   #276 (permalink)
Banned

*SLU Supporter*
Tebowing

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2/10/07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivianne Draper View Post
there's a lot more support for the tea party in congress than there is for the ows folks in the executive branch. yet only the ows support bothers you.
The TEA Party and the Occupy Wall Street groups are two different things. I happened top be on Wall Street today, and verified a few things for myself.

1. The OWS thugs are demanding they be given free things they haven't earned and which belong to others, and they are demanding the government strip other people of their wealth. The TEA Party just wants the government to let them keep what is theirs.

2. The TEA Party cleans up after themselves and smelled much better than the human filth I walked through today on Wall Street. The OWS crowd has a certain.. how shall I put it... eu de subway?

3. The TEA Party people wear funny hats, but the OWS people wear masks. They are scary people.

4. The TEA Party people were polite and wholesome, and I was not afraid to have my children around them. The OWS crowd was vile and profane, and curse words and anger permeated the street today.

5. Every TEA Party person I spoke with knew exactly why they were there. Out of the six or so people I asked today at the OWS event in NYC, only one had any idea why they were there.

Even the names of the movement connote different things. TEA Party brings up images of our founding fathers, while OCCCUPY Wall street connotes violence, force, and coercion. What else happens in an occupation?
Perphides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 01:02 AM   #277 (permalink)

Barcode not included.

My Mood:
Quote:
but its just fine for that 1% to buy our politicians so they'll pass laws that make it possible for them to rob us of our meager savings?

how is it you are able to type so soon after the lobotomy?
Let's just skip all of the flag waving and skip right to the benevolent dictatorship. Long live Emperor Bernie Sanders!
The Republican Party needs to end now. You've fucked everything up. All your representatives are assholes and your primitive ideas are holding our country back. You are all utterly and completely worthless and irredeemable, and you hate human beings, America, and the planet we all share.
Seyla Warden is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 10-08-2011, 01:03 AM   #278 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

*SLU Supporter*

Not the droid yer looking for

My Mood:
SL Join Date: September 11, 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perphides View Post
The TEA Party and the Occupy Wall Street groups are two different things. I happened top be on Wall Street today, and verified a few things for myself.

1. The OWS thugs are demanding they be given free things they haven't earned and which belong to others, and they are demanding the government strip other people of their wealth. The TEA Party just wants the government to let them keep what is theirs.

2. The TEA Party cleans up after themselves and smelled much better than the human filth I walked through today on Wall Street. The OWS crowd has a certain.. how shall I put it... eu de subway?

3. The TEA Party people wear funny hats, but the OWS people wear masks. They are scary people.

4. The TEA Party people were polite and wholesome, and I was not afraid to have my children around them. The OWS crowd was vile and profane, and curse words and anger permeated the street today.

5. Every TEA Party person I spoke with knew exactly why they were there. Out of the six or so people I asked today at the OWS event in NYC, only one had any idea why they were there.

Even the names of the movement connote different things. TEA Party brings up images of our founding fathers, while OCCCUPY Wall street connotes violence, force, and coercion. What else happens in an occupation?

you are a lying sack of shit

Errata Security: Independent reporting of #OccupyWallStreet

Quote:
But the protest isn’t angry. Quite the opposite, it is loving and accepting. If you go up to protesters with the opposite political view and debate them, they will express their undying love for you and ask for you to join them to increase the diversity of viewpoints. I did this myself, and watched this happen to others, including cops. This attitude pervades everything they do, and is frequently reinforced by the hard-core occupiers.
Quote:
Brookfield's official statement expressed their frustration with how the protesters were breaking the rules of the park (my blog post shows a picture I took of the posted rules). In particular, they haven’t been able to do their daily maintenance and cleaning of the park for the past three weeks. For a reporter, that leads to the obvious question: is the park staying clean? and if so, how? The answer reporters would find is this: the protesters themselves are taking care of this. They are exhorting people to not litter, they are making sure the trash cans have fresh bags and patrol the park picking up litter. They make sure the trash bags are set out in the right place to be picked up by the city’s garbage service
Look ma no masks!

still no masks:

yet again, no masks

One would think if there were masses of people out there wearing scary masks that at least Fox News would be all over it and there would be pics. I googled images for occupy wall street and I cannot find one mask in all the pictures that showed up.

This guy has a dollar bill over his mouth. Is this the scawwy person with the mask?

One day they did a zombie make-over. This was a bit earlier on. There were makeup tables there so one could get made up as a zombie. But they were wearing makeup, not masks. Perhaps you went that day and the zombies scared you and you thought it was masks?

Oh here are some guys with Guy Fawkes masks. From the movie V for Vendetta. It was a few people and I think a couple of days. Seriously? This scared you?

Vivi's real life jewelry shop:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/NaturalTreasuresbyDe
AND
http://www.naturaltreasuresbydeb.com

Last edited by Vivianne Draper; 10-08-2011 at 01:19 AM.
Vivianne Draper is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This:
Old 10-08-2011, 01:03 AM   #279 (permalink)
Banned

*SLU Supporter*
Tebowing

My Mood:
Quote:
but its just fine for that 1% to buy our politicians so they'll pass laws that make it possible for them to rob us of our meager savings?

how is it you are able to type so soon after the lobotomy?
The 1% don't owe me anything. I blame the politicians for being corrupt. The politicians are the ones who owe us integrity.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:04 AM   #280 (permalink)

Barcode not included.

My Mood:
Quote:

Are you Ann Coulter?
2 Users Laughed:
2 Users Agreed:
Old 10-08-2011, 01:07 AM   #281 (permalink)
Banned

*SLU Supporter*
Tebowing

My Mood:
Quote:
Your ad hominem attacks reveal the pathetic nature of your arguments. If your mindless profanity even merits the term "argument," which I think it does not.

Each time you call me a name, what you are really telling me is that you have no rational arguments to make. You can only call names. That has to be frustrating for you.
2 Users Laughed:
Old 10-08-2011, 01:09 AM   #282 (permalink)

Barcode not included.

My Mood:
Quote:
Your ad hominem attacks reveal the pathetic nature of your arguments.
It's not ad hominem if it's true. Referring to a peaceful protest as vile filth and thugs pretty much sockets you right into the 'lying sack of shit' category, sorry.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:11 AM   #283 (permalink)

Barcode not included.

My Mood:
Quote:
Look ma no masks!
Handful of people in guy fawkes mask = all OWS 'thugs' are masked filth I guess?
1 User Laughed:
Old 10-08-2011, 01:13 AM   #284 (permalink)
Banned

*SLU Supporter*
Tebowing

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seyla Warden View Post
It's not ad hominem if it's true. Referring to a peaceful protest as vile filth and thugs pretty much sockets you right into the 'lying sack of shit' category, sorry.
I was there. I spoke with them. I heard their profanity and anger. Most importantly, I smelled them. From about a block and a half away, in fact.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/10/07...reet-protests/
Old 10-08-2011, 01:13 AM   #285 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
You cannot believe in both direct democracy and minority rights. They are mutually exclusive positions. When 99% of the population votes to strip the 1% of their wealth, you can either decide to stand with the democratic decision, or for minority rights. You cannot be for both.
Sure you can, if you think you can educate the population to such a degree that it will posses enough critical thinking skill to stand up to this kind of oppression. What do you think why Seyla is for free education for everybody?

Personally, I'm not convinced by this approach and find it kind of unrealistic, but to insinuate that Seyla isn't for minority rights is just a big, fat, slanderous lie, you shithead.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:17 AM   #286 (permalink)

Barcode not included.

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by detrius View Post
Personally, I'm not convinced by this approach and find it kind of unrealistic
Oh, I do too, and I don't think you could ever really succeed at it without raising people in an environment that didn't impress negative values like our current one (basically it would have to be a society built from scratch by people not 'tainted' by growing up in one they're trying to change).

I dream big, okay?
1 User Hugged You:
Old 10-08-2011, 01:17 AM   #287 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

In need of a new avatar

Please - do not feed.
Eunoli Rain is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
1 User Agreed:
Old 10-08-2011, 01:17 AM   #288 (permalink)
Banned

*SLU Supporter*
Tebowing

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by detrius View Post
Sure you can, if you think you can educate the population to such a degree that it will posses enough critical thinking skill to stand up to this kind of oppression. What do you think why Seyla is for free education for everybody?

Personally, I'm not convinced by this approach and find it kind of unrealistic, but to insinuate that Seyla isn't for minority rights is just a big, fat, slanderous lie, you shithead.
So you are suggesting the fruit can be both an apple and an orange at the same time? No, Detrius, when 99% of the people vote to strip 1% of their wealth, or, for that matter, when 99.9% of the people vote to kill .1% of the people, you can either be for democracy, or for minority rights. How can you choose both?

I am guessing you might have been a victim of a "free" education at some point.
1 User Groaned:
Old 10-08-2011, 01:19 AM   #289 (permalink)

Barcode not included.

My Mood:
You do realize that Fox isn't news, right?

The Media Can Legally Lie

eta: yeah, derailed again. Need to reign myself in.
1 User Agreed:
Old 10-08-2011, 01:20 AM   #290 (permalink)
Travels the world, calmly

*SLU Supporter*

Diplomacy, with one in the chamber...

My Mood:
Quote:
That's an interesting point, but let's not forget the "green" energy companies, who are heavily invested in influencing government to force people to buy their products. I also think it bears noting that banks and, more particularly oil companies, are suffering primarily from being regulated out of existence. An example would be the Community Reinvestment Act, which required banks to lend to unqualified applicants, and which led to the housing bubble.
When someone can type that in seeming seriousness, the ascent of idiocy is nearly complete. It beggars belief.

~ Benjamin Franklin
Envoy Costagravas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 01:22 AM   #291 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
Quote:
Your ad hominem attacks reveal the pathetic nature of your arguments. If your mindless profanity even merits the term "argument," which I think it does not.

Each time you call me a name, what you are really telling me is that you have no rational arguments to make. You can only call names. That has to be frustrating for you.
really? you must be ignoring all the pictures and the reports I posted that refute every single thing you said. I call you a lying sack of shit because you are. I've proven over and over again and each time you ignore the links, the pics, the articles I've posted and continue on with stuff you've just plain old made up.
1 User Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 10-08-2011, 01:26 AM   #292 (permalink)
Banned

*SLU Supporter*
Tebowing

My Mood:
Quote:
really? you must be ignoring all the pictures and the reports I posted that refute every single thing you said. I call you a lying sack of shit because you are. I've proven over and over again and each time you ignore the links, the pics, the articles I've posted and continue on with stuff you've just plain old made up.
Here are some of the masks for you. The reason you can find pictures of the protesters maskless is because of NYC's law against wearing masks during a demonstration. The pictures here only illustrate the lawless spirit of the OWS protests:

The Best Pictures From The Occupy Wall Street Protest | We Know Memes
1 User Said Yay!:
3 Users Laughed:
Old 10-08-2011, 01:28 AM   #293 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:

Good Lord, please not that pile of anti Fox horse shit propaganda again.
Mr. B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 01:29 AM   #294 (permalink)

Barcode not included.

My Mood:
Quote:
Here are some of the masks for you. The reason you can find pictures of the protesters maskless is because of NYC's law against wearing masks during a demonstration. The pictures here only illustrate the lawless spirit of the OWS protests:

I count 7 Guy Fawkes masks and one weird coin mask among a total of about 200 people there. Yeah.
1 User Laughed:
1 User Agreed:
Old 10-08-2011, 01:34 AM   #295 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
Quote:
That's an interesting point, but let's not forget the "green" energy companies, who are heavily invested in influencing government to force people to buy their products. I also think it bears noting that banks and, more particularly oil companies, are suffering primarily from being regulated out of existence. An example would be the Community Reinvestment Act, which required banks to lend to unqualified applicants, and which led to the housing bubble.
oh yes those poor suffering oil companies. you really need to come up with better lies because its just too easy to debunk the ones you are telling now. And whats even more pathetic is that the left has some serious problems right now. But making oil companies suffer isn't one of them.

Quote:
The world's largest public energy company reported net income of $7.56 billion, or $1.60 a share, in the second quarter, up 91% from $3.95 billion, or 81 cents a share, in the same period in 2009.

Analysts were expecting earnings of $1.46 a share, according to a survey by Thomson Financial.

Earnings for the first half of 2010, excluding special items, were $13.9 billion, up 60% over the first half of 2009.

Exxon Mobil profit nearly doubles - Jul. 29, 2010
oh yes those poor poor oil companies in the Global Fortune 500

Quote:
And the world's biggest companies are...
Wal-Mart knocks Royal Dutch Shell out of the top slot to rule the Fortune Global 500. See the full list of the world’s largest corporations, including detailed company profiles and contact information. More
Wal-Mart Stores
Royal Dutch Shell
Exxon Mobil
BP

Toyota Motor
Japan Post Holdings
Sinopec
State Grid
AXA
China National Petroleum

Global 500 2010: Annual ranking of the world's biggest companies from Fortune Magazine.
oh look they get SUBSIDIES!!!!

Quote:
At the same time, BP was reaping sizable tax benefits from leasing the rig. According to a letter sent in June to the Senate Finance Committee, the company used a tax break for the oil industry to write off 70 percent of the rent for Deepwater Horizon — a deduction of more than $225,000 a day since the lease began.

With federal officials now considering a new tax on petroleum production to pay for the cleanup, the industry is fighting the measure, warning that it will lead to job losses and higher gasoline prices, as well as an increased dependence on foreign oil.

But an examination of the American tax code indicates that oil production is among the most heavily subsidized businesses, with tax breaks available at virtually every stage of the exploration and extraction process.

According to the most recent study by the Congressional Budget Office, released in 2005, capital investments like oil field leases and drilling equipment are taxed at an effective rate of 9 percent, significantly lower than the overall rate of 25 percent for businesses in general and lower than virtually any other industry.

Oil Companies Reap Billions From Subsidies - NYTimes.com
5 billion in profits! Oh HOW they suffer. Yes I can see it now. Those poor poor suffering oil companeis

Oil Company Profits – Royal Dutch Shell plc .com

And its not just one, or two, or three of the oil companies. Its ALL of them!

Quote:
The big five oil companies—BP, Chevron, ConocoPhillips, ExxonMobil, and Shell—are poised to report their first quarter profits this week. And it should surprise no one that rising oil and gasoline prices will lead to higher profits compared to 2009. A research note from Citigroup determined that, “The year-on-year increase largely reflects the strength of crude oil prices.” The Telegraph made the same assessment, saying, “energy companies are benefiting from higher oil prices.”

Gasoline prices increased by nearly 3 percent during the first quarter, while gasoline consumption was up 4 percent. American consumers spent $65 million more on gasoline during the last week of the quarter compared to the first week. This is a 6 percent increase in total spending between the first and last week. Rising prices and demand bring little surprise to the expected announcements that oil company profits are on the rise.

Oil company profits
OIL COMPANY ESTIMATED NET INCOME FINANCIAL TIMES PROFIT PREDICTIONS OTHER PROFIT PREDICTIONS
BP $4.8 billion Up 85 percent (FT) Almost doubled Q1 2009 earnings (Telegraph)
Chevron $3.7 billion Roughly doubled (FT)
Conoco $2.0 billion More than doubled (FT) Up 62 percent (BloggingStocks)
Exxon $6.8 billion Net income roughly doubled (FT) $6.56 projected, up 44 percent (Reuters)
Shell $4.0 billion Up about 30 percent (FT) Up 35 percent (Reut

Big Oil Awash in Big Profits
2 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 10-08-2011, 01:35 AM   #296 (permalink)
Banned

*SLU Supporter*
Tebowing

My Mood:
Quote:

Are you comparing that with CBS, where Dan Rather was fired for just flat out making up a story? Or maybe the NY Times, where at least two reporters have been fired for plagiarism in recent years? Or any other of a number of examples of journalistic malpractice. The industry is a graveyard for pedantic ideologues. Mainstream media can't die quick enough for me.. but I think they'll do themselves in over time. Last I checked, there were only like 14 people watching CBS's nightly newscast.
1 User Groaned:
Old 10-08-2011, 01:35 AM   #297 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
Quote:

oh yeah thats some brash lawlessness for you. 7 people wearing masks. are you an alien from another planet?
1 User Laughed:
1 User Agreed:
Old 10-08-2011, 01:36 AM   #298 (permalink)
mobile developer

*SLU Supporter*

apocalypse meow

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Sep. 12, 2006
Business: The LOLO
scared of masks? ridiculous.

didn't notice the police manhandling the old grandmas in the same photostream eh?

where's the ignore button? i've never ignored someone on SLU before, but I really want this disinformation agent to shut up, at least on my screen.
WADE1 Jya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 01:43 AM   #299 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
Quote:
Are you comparing that with CBS, where Dan Rather was fired for just flat out making up a story? Or maybe the NY Times, where at least two reporters have been fired for plagiarism in recent years? Or any other of a number of examples of journalistic malpractice. The industry is a graveyard for pedantic ideologues. Mainstream media can't die quick enough for me.. but I think they'll do themselves in over time. Last I checked, there were only like 14 people watching CBS's nightly newscast.
Actually Dan Rather wasn't fired but the speculation is that the Killian papers hastened his retirement. Regardless, he did not make up the story but received faulty information

Quote:
Rather and CBS initially defended the story, insisting that the documents had been authenticated by experts.[22] CBS was contradicted by some of the experts it originally cited,[23] and later reported that its source for the documents – former Texas Army National Guard officer Lt. Col. Bill Burkett – had misled the network about how he had obtained them.[24]

Dan Rather - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I know of one case where one person at the NYT was fired for plagarism. Perhaps you'd like to post the other and actually substantiate some of this bullshit coming out of your mouth? Here's the case I know of.

Quote:
A New York Times reporter accused of plagiarizing portions of several articles resigned from the newspaper on Tuesday, according to two people briefed on the matter.

The reporter, Zachery Kouwe, who had already been suspended, met late Tuesday afternoon with representatives of The Times, The New York Times Company and the Newspaper Guild of New York. The participants were to discuss possible disciplinary action, including dismissal, but instead Mr. Kouwe resigned.

Times Reporter Accused of Plagiarism Is Said to Resign - NYTimes.com
But that's only one or two or three people. FoxNews has an entire website devoted to the lies they tell.
1 User Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 10-08-2011, 01:46 AM   #300 (permalink)

Barcode not included.

My Mood:
Quote:
Actually Dan Rather wasn't fired but the speculation is that the Killian papers hastened his retirement. Regardless, he did not make up the story but received faulty information
If Dan Rather had worked for Fox he would have been fine, though. A point Perph conveniently skipped over.
1 User Laughed: