Senate fails to end costly FAA shutdown - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » Senate fails to end costly FAA shutdown

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
Lionheart Virtual Estate - Experience the Difference!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2011, 12:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
fractal networker

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 4-27-06
Business: Texture Arts
Senate fails to end costly FAA shutdown

Senate fails to end costly FAA shutdown - travel - News - msnbc.com
Quote:

WASHINGTON — The government is likely to lose more than $1 billion in airline ticket taxes because lawmakers have left town for a month without resolving a partisan standoff over a bill to end the partial shutdown of the Federal Aviation Administration.

The government already has lost more than $200 million since airlines are unable to collect taxes on ticket sales because the FAA's operating authority has expired.

The Senate recessed on Tuesday until September, erasing any possibility for quickly resolving the issue. The House left Monday night.

Caught up in the partisan acrimony are nearly 4,000 FAA employees who have been furloughed. The FAA also has issued stop work orders on more than 200 construction projects, threatening the jobs of thousands of other workers. Air traffic controllers, however, remain on the job.

The debacle could have had an upside for airline passengers because ticket taxes, which typically average about $30 on a $300 round-trip fare, are suspended during the shutdown. But airlines decided to pocket the windfall. Within hours of the shutdown on July 23, most airlines raised their fares by amounts equivalent to the taxes that disappeared.
Why is this not getting more attention I wonder? This would be another case that Obama could use an executive order on. This is just more republican obstructionism. It feels like the republicans are fighting a war against government of any kind but the dems are still trying to negotiate even though the other side has already started setting off bombs.

So they agree to this horrendous debt deal. Then they leave to go on vacation while millions of dollars of government money is flying out the window.

http://slurl.com/secondlife/puea/126/10/60/
infiniview Merit is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 08-03-2011, 03:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
fractal networker

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 4-27-06
Business: Texture Arts
Ok so lets see, the government badly needs money. So the republicans deliberately mess with the agency that keeps us safe while flying, then gives the money the government would get from taxes to their corporate airline friends. This of course also puts mass people out of work further hurting average citizens and the economy itself.
The republicans are blatantly trying to defund government without any concern for the economy or the people in it.
infiniview Merit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

What the cuss?!??

SL Join Date: May 3, 2008
Client: still 1.23 as long as possible
Quote:
Originally Posted by infiniview Merit View Post
Ok so lets see, the government badly needs money. So the republicans deliberately mess with the agency that keeps us safe while flying, then gives the money the government would get from taxes to their corporate airline friends. This of course also puts mass people out of work further hurting average citizens and the economy itself.
The republicans are blatantly trying to defund government without any concern for the economy or the people in it.

Again the question arises--and it's not entirely facetious--can these people be tried for treason?

Presumably, because of the US Constitution's narrow definition of 'treason,' it would be necessary to prove that the GOP votes were made expressly to benefit an "enemy" of the USA. Certainly the further decline of the US economy that the votes contribute to WILL benefit nations other than the US, relatively speaking.

But in all probability it's all too diffuse for an actual charge of 'treason'. Still, one would hope for some Great Communicator(s) to arise, who can make the case to US voters that the GOP has deliberately done harm to the general welfare.
Polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lies down wif Bunnies

Lurve ta eat them bunnies, bunnies what I lurve ta eat. Bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: July 5, 2006
Client: Dun' compromise mai privacies!
From what I've heard onna radio, they are collectin' the taxes, and claimin' they've sent 'em on ta the IRS. The IRS is sayin' "Nu uh, we dun' has 'em."

Good luck gettin' ya money back.
Dickie Swansong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

What the cuss?!??

SL Join Date: May 3, 2008
Client: still 1.23 as long as possible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickie Swansong View Post
From what I've heard onna radio, they are collectin' the taxes, and claimin' they've sent 'em on ta the IRS. The IRS is sayin' "Nu uh, we dun' has 'em."

Good luck gettin' ya money back.
Delta and US Airways have been forced by the bad publicity to refund the fees:
US Airways joins Delta, plans direct refund of taxes - USATODAY.com
Polo is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 08-03-2011, 07:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lies down wif Bunnies

Lurve ta eat them bunnies, bunnies what I lurve ta eat. Bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: July 5, 2006
Client: Dun' compromise mai privacies!
OMG! We got caught!
Dickie Swansong is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Laughed:
Old 08-04-2011, 08:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: June 12, 2003
Congress reaches deal to end FAA shutdown - Yahoo! News
Edav Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :