Texas executes Mexican after court stay rejected - Page 12 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » Texas executes Mexican after court stay rejected

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
Lionheart Virtual Estate - Experience the Difference!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2011, 10:32 AM   #276 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteMomiji View Post
Intent: it's MAGICAL
I'm sorry, Are you determining for me what my intentions are? Magical indeed.
Eliska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:34 AM   #277 (permalink)
Account Closed

*SLU Supporter*
Meh

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 01/26/06
Business: .( bewildebeest ).
"It was not my intent to be insulting" =! "my words are magically not full of shit because I did not intend for them to be"

Hope that helps!
Coyote Momiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:46 AM   #278 (permalink)

Quote:
"It was not my intent to be insulting" =! "my words are magically not full of shit because I did not intend for them to be"

Hope that helps!
I never claimed to be the final arbiter of facts when it came to racism in America. I stated my opinions based on limited knowledge of the subject, which I'm now aware exactly how limited that was. Knowing that, I won't be discussing that topic until I educate myself further on it. I apologized for unintentionally offending people. That's the best I can do and all I'm willing to do. If that isn't good enough for ya, then by all means keep your head firmly planted in your ass.
1 User Laughed:
Old 07-09-2011, 10:48 AM   #279 (permalink)
Account Closed

*SLU Supporter*
Meh

My Mood:
The only one huffing their own anal gasses here is you, sweetcheeks.

So stop fucking discussing it already and educate yourself. BYE.
1 User Agreed:
Old 07-09-2011, 10:50 AM   #280 (permalink)

I didn't know my more recent posts had anything to do with racism in America. Wonderful to know I'm not the only ignorant person that's present.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:46 PM   #281 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

Having Fun

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 11-12-2007
Business: La Galleria
<sigh> Another one bites the dust.

PS There ought to be some quota of posts before anyone can join a PRS thread.

Traditional and Contemporary American and European
Prefab Homes, Dining Rooms, Kitchens,
Bedrooms, and Living Rooms

LA GALLERIA
Pamela Galli is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Laughed:
1 User Agreed:
Old 07-09-2011, 12:48 PM   #282 (permalink)
Account Closed
Going Dzerzhinsky

My Mood:
Cool! Someone I get to add to my ignore list without having the displeasure of interacting with her. But why is Ms. "account closed" still here? STFU and GTFO sweetie.
Renaissance Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 07-09-2011, 12:48 PM   #283 (permalink)
Banjo tuner!

*SLU Supporter*

is taking names and breakinghearts

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 4/4/2007
Client: I close my eyes and...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
I didn't know my more recent posts had anything to do with racism in America.

That's a joke right, you're pulling old Velvet's leg? Putting him on, screwing with his head before he has his coffee?
3 Users Hugged You:
Old 07-09-2011, 12:50 PM   #284 (permalink)
is fiesty!

*SLU Supporter*

Now hiring minions

Location: Displaced Bostonian living in a weather confused Texas
My Mood:
SL Join Date: 11/22/2006
Send a message via ICQ to Vertigo Paris Send a message via AIM to Vertigo Paris Send a message via Yahoo to Vertigo Paris Send a message via Skype™ to Vertigo Paris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaissance Guardian View Post
Cool! Someone I get to add to my ignore list without having the displeasure of interacting with her. But why is Ms. "account closed" still here? STFU and GTFO sweetie.
Not that I am defending her or anything, she left shortly after that post was made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout Recreant
Helllllooooo Verti! At last! The chance to rate one of my favorite people! Absolutely beautiful pictures. You are a strong, opinionated woman who is not at all afraid to express herself both verbally and physically. You have a strong sense of fantasy and mystery surrounding a drop dead beauty. You maintain an aloof intelligent exterior that we long to break through, but which might intimidate some men. It shows a complexity of personality that few possess. Based on these pictures, I am giving you an 8.4 on the official Trout Recreant Scale of Slutiness. You are a slut, but only in the best possible way, and any man lucky enough to see that side of you should count his blessings.
Vertigo Paris is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Yay!:
Old 07-09-2011, 01:03 PM   #285 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

Humming La La La

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May, 2005
Client: Firestorm

Awards: 4
Special Achievement In Creepy Avatar Threads 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo Paris View Post
Not that I am defending her or anything, she left shortly after that post was made.
I think we saw that one coming.

I find it interesting how many people start out in PRS on the wrong foot - not due to their political/religious position so much as their manner of self expression.

I realize this section is heavily weighted toward secular/liberal (like me), but we do have several posters who diverge from that and still manage to express themselves clearly and without insults. Perhaps they feel out of place here, I don't know, but I for one welcome their contributions even if I disagree with them.

Those who find themselves assailed here are usually under attack for their attitude, not their values.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:09 PM   #286 (permalink)
is fiesty!

*SLU Supporter*

Now hiring minions

My Mood:
Send a message via ICQ to Vertigo Paris Send a message via AIM to Vertigo Paris Send a message via Yahoo to Vertigo Paris Send a message via Skype™ to Vertigo Paris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy Claveau View Post

I find it interesting how many people start out in PRS on the wrong foot - not due to their political/religious position so much as their manner of self expression.

I realize this section is heavily weighted toward secular/liberal (like me), but we do have several posters who diverge from that and still manage to express themselves clearly and without insults. Perhaps they feel out of place here, I don't know, but I for one welcome their contributions even if I disagree with them.

Those who find themselves assailed here are usually under attack for their attitude, not their values.
I may have failed in expressing that but my problem with her was always the underhanded manner in which the opinion was presented, not the the opinoin itself.

Then she just kept digging and there was no saving her, not that I would have even bothered to try.
2 Users Agreed:
Old 07-09-2011, 01:15 PM   #287 (permalink)
Banjo tuner!

*SLU Supporter*

is taking names and breakinghearts

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 4/4/2007
Client: I close my eyes and...
I don't like talking about someone when they can't defend themselves, but I'm going to anyway.

My beef was the sweeping absolute statement. "Racism isn't a problem anymore". If the statement had been, "it's not as bad as it used to be" that would have been an interesting discussion.

The same goes with the "political correctness is evil" statement, a wide sweeping generality, that begs for contradiction, couple with a stubborness to back down from that arguement, and then parsing the original post to claim we didn't understand her intent.
Velvet Bikcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:19 PM   #288 (permalink)

What is my purpose?

My Mood:
/me wakes up and checks thread.

The Republican Party needs to end now. You've fucked everything up. All your representatives are assholes and your primitive ideas are holding our country back. You are all utterly and completely worthless and irredeemable, and you hate human beings, America, and the planet we all share.
Seyla Warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:36 PM   #289 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

Having Fun

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 11-12-2007
Business: La Galleria
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy Claveau View Post

[...]
I agree -- not SO much -- but having a minority position does not dispose most others to be as forbearing as they might otherwise. Being new here doesn't either. Those potential negatives can be overcome by being very careful about how you say things, yes -- but new ppl just don't realize how careful they need to be, even when the forum title warns them.

It's a shame because I see so, so many ppl post a little while then disappear. Sometimes they get in some brawl that just makes me cringe because I know they have badly misstepped and are not going to be able to recover; sometimes they just quietly slip away.
Pamela Galli is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
2 Users Agreed:
Old 07-09-2011, 04:18 PM   #290 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

Humming La La La

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May, 2005
Client: Firestorm

Awards: 4
Special Achievement In Creepy Avatar Threads 
Cindy Claveau is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Yay!:
2 Users Laughed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 07-09-2011, 05:31 PM   #291 (permalink)

What is my purpose?

My Mood:
Not exactly relevant to the thread at the moment, just following through on a promise:

Seriously, the state of things (and I'm talking about the States in general, not just Texas) is just so depressing.
2 Users Laughed:
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 07-09-2011, 05:39 PM   #292 (permalink)

What is my purpose?

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamela Galli View Post
I agree -- not SO much -- but having a minority position does not dispose most others to be as forbearing as they might otherwise. Being new here doesn't either. Those potential negatives can be overcome by being very careful about how you say things, yes -- but new ppl just don't realize how careful they need to be, even when the forum title warns them.

It's a shame because I see so, so many ppl post a little while then disappear. Sometimes they get in some brawl that just makes me cringe because I know they have badly misstepped and are not going to be able to recover; sometimes they just quietly slip away.
I understand where you're coming from with this, but the nature of an internet message board - a place in which there is no 'context' to discussion beyond the words you choose, words which you can take your time with and edit before committing to them, unlike speech in 'real life' - strongly encourages a slow, cautious entry to any new forum/group, much less one as charged as this one.

As callous as it may sound, if you don't think you need to lurk a bit before posting here, or be extra careful of your wording (at least at first, before everyone else gets to 'know' you), then yeah, maybe you don't need to be posting in here.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:41 PM   #293 (permalink)
is fiesty!

*SLU Supporter*

Now hiring minions

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seyla Warden View Post
I understand where you're coming from with this, but the nature of an internet message board - a place in which there is no 'context' to discussion beyond the words you choose, words which you can take your time with and edit before committing to them, unlike speech in 'real life' - strongly encourages a slow, cautious entry to any new forum/group, much less one as charged as this one.

As callous as it may sound, if you don't think you need to lurk a bit before posting here, or be extra careful of your wording (at least at first, before everyone else gets to 'know' you), then yeah, maybe you don't need to be posting in here.
Or have skin so thick, rhinos would be jealous!
1 User Hugged You:
2 Users Agreed:
Old 07-09-2011, 05:48 PM   #294 (permalink)

What is my purpose?

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Bikcin View Post
The same goes with the "political correctness is evil" statement, a wide sweeping generality, that begs for contradiction, couple with a stubborness to back down from that arguement, and then parsing the original post to claim we didn't understand her intent.
I 'agreed' to this post, but I want to comment on this part. While I agree that calling political correctness 'evil' is too much of a sweeping generality to let pass, in practice I see it (PC) being used to whitewash statements and opinions that otherwise would get someone called out, or used as a way to speak a lot of words without actually saying anything. This results in a gut-level dislike of political correctness and all that (it seems to) stand for - in me, at least - because if you're going to say something that offends someone using the 'politically correct' term doesn't change a thing; everyone still knows what is being said.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:49 PM   #295 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

sick of all the bullshit

SL Join Date: October 27, 2007
Quote:

Pamela: She said slavery was irrelevant. You saw that, right? You saw that she questioned whether it had any affect on society now? You saw she questioned Black people's experiences now had anything to do with any of it?
Old 07-09-2011, 05:57 PM   #296 (permalink)
Account Closed

*SLU Supporter*
Meh

My Mood:
Pamela has never met a douchebag she doesn't want to hug, squeeze, and name George.

See also: rape apologists, dogfuckers, and assorted fuckheads
1 User Groaned:
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 07-09-2011, 06:21 PM   #297 (permalink)
tart outlier.

bitches love to be called beautiful.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: early 2006.

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
I have to agree with Pamela's last post, since the same thing has been on my mind. Between the diminishing membership of the garment rending, pearl clutching, faux indignation peanut gallery, and the people that make big missteps in common sense and then cry foul when called on it, it does seem like a lot of people have picked up sticks lately.

Having one person tell you that you're too coarse for them makes me say fuck you. Having more than a handful say the same thing tends to make me turn introspective and wonder if there's something there.

Not that I'm going to change who I am because of some delicate little flower, it's just been giving me food for thought lately.

I can't believe the things that you'll say
To keep me around and close to your side.

-- Film School - Compare.
Deca! is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Hugged You:
3 Users Said Thanks :
Old 07-09-2011, 06:21 PM   #298 (permalink)

What the cuss?!??

SL Join Date: May 3, 2008
Client: still 1.23 as long as possible
Quote:
Pamela has never met a douchebag she doesn't want to hug, squeeze, and name George.
See also: rape apologists, dogfuckers, and assorted fuckheads

I don't think that's what Pamela was saying with that post:

Quote:

It doesn't look as though Pamela was saying anything about hugging douchebags (even metaphorically). It looks more like 'when newcomers post here they may say things various longtimers find offensive--but maybe a full-on assault might not be the ideal response' or something of that nature.

Sometimes newcomers say offensive things because they enjoy being the target of a full-on assault, I suppose. (Trolls, in other words.) But in other cases, the newcomer may not realize that the way they've worded something is offensive. Maybe they never tried to put it in words before and don't realize they've over-generalized or said something indefensible.

Possibly holding off from the nuclear option for at least a few back-and-forth exchanges (of the 'did you really mean to say that???' variety) might be worth a try.

I realize this will generate Groans from the usual Groaners, but: SLU DOES have a reputation for being intolerant and prone to pile-ons. Seriously, go to any other SL-oriented forum and mention SLU...that's what people will say.

Is that good?

[to answer the inevitable 'if you don't like it here why don't you leave?!!??' belligerence that will follow this post: I find that I can mostly ignore the pile-ons because in my experience they are only a small part of a mostly intelligent, decent, and fair-minded whole.]
Polo is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 07-09-2011, 06:28 PM   #299 (permalink)
is fiesty!

*SLU Supporter*

Now hiring minions

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
I don't think that's what Pamela was saying with that post:

It doesn't look as though Pamela was saying anything about hugging douchebags (even metaphorically). It looks more like 'when newcomers post here they may say things various longtimers find offensive--but maybe a full-on assault might not be the ideal response' or something of that nature.

Sometimes newcomers say offensive things because they enjoy being the target of a full-on assault, I suppose. (Trolls, in other words.) But in other cases, the newcomer may not realize that the way they've worded something is offensive. Maybe they never tried to put it in words before and don't realize they've over-generalized or said something indefensible.

Possibly holding off from the nuclear option for at least a few back-and-forth exchanges (of the 'did you really mean to say that???' variety) might be worth a try.

I realize this will generate Groans from the usual Groaners, but: SLU DOES have a reputation for being intolerant and prone to pile-ons. Seriously, go to any other SL-oriented forum and mention SLU...that's what people will say.

Is that good?

[to answer the inevitable 'if you don't like it here why don't you leave?!!??' belligerence that will follow this post: I find that I can mostly ignore the pile-ons because in my experience they are only a small part of a mostly intelligent, decent, and fair-minded whole.]
While I might be willing to agree with you on some cases on this, I do not believe that was the case here at all. Especially since whatsherface went on to say that she knows her manner of speaking is found to "rub people the wrong way". That leads me to believe that she was well aware of what her reaction was going to be further backed up when Coyo made the "That's going to end well" comment and whatsherface agreed.

So yeah...she sunk herself knowingly and willingly.
2 Users Agreed:
Old 07-09-2011, 06:43 PM   #300 (permalink)

What is my purpose?

My Mood:
1 User Agreed: CoyoteMomiji

YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE RESTING