Congress Wants To Make Streaming A Felony - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » Congress Wants To Make Streaming A Felony

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
Lionheart Virtual Estate - Experience the Difference!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2011, 11:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
01001100 01001111 0100110

01000011 01101111 01101111 01101100 0100001

My Mood:
SL Join Date: '06
Business: Darnkeyes!
Congress Wants To Make Streaming A Felony

QUOTE!! Here they go again: Big business's lobbyists are launching another attack on Internet freedom. Senators are considering a "Ten Strikes" bill to make it a felony to stream copyrighted content -- like music in the background of a Youtube video -- more than ten times.... !!QUOTE

URGENT: Congress Wants To Make Streaming A Felony | Demand Progress

I don't know if it is true, but if it is.... Hopefully someone can get more info on this.
Ahaha, such a simpleton. It'z so much fun playing jokez on you. I waz only here to see how she waz doing, but I had fun while I waz at it. So long, Sere, au revoir, mon ami! Pleaze dream of moi every night! Oui! ~ Harle

http://leechmouth.deviantart.com/
Darnk Yun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:22 AM   #2 (permalink)

boo

My Mood:

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
Gotta fill those corporate prisons.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
is fiesty!

*SLU Supporter*

Now hiring minions

Location: Displaced Bostonian living in a weather confused Texas
My Mood:
SL Join Date: 11/22/2006
Send a message via ICQ to Vertigo Paris Send a message via AIM to Vertigo Paris Send a message via Yahoo to Vertigo Paris Send a message via Skype™ to Vertigo Paris
Good lord...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout Recreant
Helllllooooo Verti! At last! The chance to rate one of my favorite people! Absolutely beautiful pictures. You are a strong, opinionated woman who is not at all afraid to express herself both verbally and physically. You have a strong sense of fantasy and mystery surrounding a drop dead beauty. You maintain an aloof intelligent exterior that we long to break through, but which might intimidate some men. It shows a complexity of personality that few possess. Based on these pictures, I am giving you an 8.4 on the official Trout Recreant Scale of Slutiness. You are a slut, but only in the best possible way, and any man lucky enough to see that side of you should count his blessings.
Vertigo Paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:30 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Mood:
If this happens a LOT of people on youtube will become criminals. and the YouTube poopers will be ......oh god!
Old 07-01-2011, 12:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 03/17/2004
Oh gawd, I am too pretty for jail.
Eboni Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 07-01-2011, 12:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

sick of all the bullshit

SL Join Date: October 27, 2007
Now (bear with me, I'm more stupid than usual today) does that also affect sites like Netflix that stream movies and tv shows, or do sites like that have contracts with the copyright holders?
Old 07-01-2011, 12:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Queen of the Metaverse

Oh hai!

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliselia Aeon View Post
Now (bear with me, I'm more stupid than usual today) does that also affect sites like Netflix that stream movies and tv shows, or do sites like that have contracts with the copyright holders?
Netflix definitely has contracts with copyright holders.

One interesting side effect of this law would be the criminalization of video any time copyrighted music is playing in the background ... for example if you video a police officer in the act of misconduct at a concert, or parade, or demonstration.

It won't take long before police realize they can just turn on their radios or pop in a CD before shooting a subdued suspect in the back (ala BART). The evidence of their crime will be illegal to show.

All the cool kids are following me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/aimee

Aimee Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Agreed:
Old 07-01-2011, 12:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Usually sleepies...

Little Demonbutt :3

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Long long ago.
Client: Viewer 3, Firestorm

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Send a message via Skype™ to Rodeejah Urquan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimee Weber View Post

One interesting side effect of this law would be the criminalization of video any time copyrighted music is playing in the background ... for example if you video a police officer in the act of misconduct at a concert, or parade, or demonstration.

It won't take long before police realize they can just turn on their radios or pop in a CD before shooting a subdued suspect in the back (ala BART). The evidence of their crime will be illegal to show.
You know, I didn't even think of that. I swear, the entertainment industry will stop at nothing to clutch at the tiniest scraps of money they can scrape from the public.

Posted via Mobile Device
Rodeejah Urquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Now with less padding

My Mood:

Special Achievement in Acronym Usage 
Send a message via AIM to Dancien Graves Send a message via Yahoo to Dancien Graves Send a message via Skype™ to Dancien Graves
Congress can play with my balls.
Dancien Graves is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Laughed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 07-01-2011, 12:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Imp

Who are you?

SL Join Date: Early '06 or late '05, not sure.
Client: Singularity, mostly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darnk Yun View Post
If this happens a LOT of people on youtube will become criminals. and the YouTube poopers will be ......oh god!
If this did happen YouTube would shrink by about 9/10ths within a month.

Net radio would just die as well. SL'd take a pretty big hit too.
Gabriell Anatra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:45 PM   #11 (permalink)
Account Closed
so much for status

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2/8/2008
Client: Phoenix, Exodus
RIAA and MPAA strike again.
Sonja Aeghin is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 07-01-2011, 12:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
Imp

Who are you?

For that matter how many public venues use streamed music these days? I'd venture to say that a lot of them aren't too careful about copyright all the time.

Almost every child in the country would probably end up with several of their 'strikes' already used up before they get out of high school.

That's probably why the ten bit. If they'd made it three we'd all have to use earphones all the time in public for fear that someone would try to prosecute for an unauthorized 'public performance'.

Not that it makes a big difference though.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
Account Closed
so much for status

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2/8/2008
Client: Phoenix, Exodus
DJ-ing in SL would be affected, too.
Sonja Aeghin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:00 PM   #14 (permalink)

My Mood:
there is so much that this would effect that it's beyond reason. Trying to stop piracy is one thing but this is just bonkers.
1 User Agreed:
Old 07-01-2011, 01:26 PM   #15 (permalink)

Like a ninja i lurk

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 31/03/07
Client: Firestorm
Quote:
Arwen Hykova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:46 PM   #16 (permalink)
That template guy

Meshing Around

My Mood:
Business: CMFF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriell Anatra View Post
Net radio would just die as well. SL'd take a pretty big hit too.
Illegal net radio would, but sites like Pandora, Slacker, and Live365 all pay royalties so they're perfectly legal.

I've never understood why YouTube doesn't do what Live365 does and simply provide fields to fill out about any backing music for a video that can then be used to pay royalties to SoundExchange and provide ecommerce links to Amazon and iTunes or their own service. It then becomes a revenue stream for bands and labels. You can bet that behind the scenes it's the NAB that's lobbying hard to kill YouTube as a place where people go to hear music, just as they've tried hard to kill internet radio.
Chip Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 07-01-2011, 02:17 PM   #17 (permalink)
Imp

Who are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Midnight View Post
Illegal net radio would, but sites like Pandora, Slacker, and Live365 all pay royalties so they're perfectly legal.

I've never understood why YouTube doesn't do what Live365 does and simply provide fields to fill out about any backing music for a video that can then be used to pay royalties to SoundExchange and provide ecommerce links to Amazon and iTunes or their own service. It then becomes a revenue stream for bands and labels. You can bet that behind the scenes it's the NAB that's lobbying hard to kill YouTube as a place where people go to hear music, just as they've tried hard to kill internet radio.

I like Pandora, but playback is iffy on this machine as it eats about 100% of the cpu and still faults frequently. I've not tried Slacker as it errors out with a flash error. I've not tried Live365 yet.

As a rule if it has a media stream url that I can access it's good to go, otherwise it's not going to work well.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:43 PM   #18 (permalink)

Pleasant Dreams

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 04/06/2008
Business: All Things Aley!
Client: Singularity 1.8.3

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
what business wants, business gets.
All hail business!
Old 07-01-2011, 04:04 PM   #19 (permalink)
Mercenary of Illusion

Disruptive

My Mood:
SL Join Date: November, 2004
Business: Skybox Nirvana, Tenth Muse Furniture
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancien Graves View Post
Congress can play with my balls.

I'd be careful about making that offer. You might be surprised at which family values warriors might take you up on it.

SLU: I came for the community. I stayed for the derails.

Visit my Marketplace Store!
Isablan Neva is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Laughed:
1 User Agreed:
Old 07-01-2011, 04:16 PM   #20 (permalink)
feral ballerina

Hello, I'm the Groove operator. Please hold the line.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: March 2004
Business: D3volution

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:

I think the present state of affairs is that you have to obtain the officer(s)' consent to voice record them in many jurisdictions, else you are committing a crime by making a voice record without consent. However, silent videos are legal with or without consent of the officer(s).

Of course, I hope this ridiculous pandering to the moneyed interests is stopped. But more important, I hope that this voice recording thing with respect to officers is undone. "Oh, officer, may I record the sounds while you beat on this person?"
Princess Govi The Confuser of Language, The Curse of The Tower of Babel, Who Brought Entire Nations To a Standstill As Their Residents Froze in Fear, Unable to Communicate, Unable to Speak, Unable to Order Quadruple Tall Non-Fat Double Splenda Carmel Macchiatos With a Sprig of Mint and a Sprinkle of Cinnamon, Hold the Foam, and Ensuring the Downfall of Society Which Inevitably Follows a Shortage of Caffeine.
Govi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:34 PM   #21 (permalink)
Queen of the Metaverse

Oh hai!

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govi View Post
I think the present state of affairs is that you have to obtain the officer(s)' consent to voice record them in many jurisdictions, else you are committing a crime by making a voice record without consent. However, silent videos are legal with or without consent of the officer(s).
Not exactly. The police have been chronically misusing state wiretapping laws to arrest people who were recording them. Some states are "one-party consent" states, meaning at least one person being recorded must consent. Other states are "two-party consent" states, meaning everybody being recorded must consent. There are no special laws that forbid recording police, the wiretapping law covers everybody (and most of the time the police realize they're in the wrong and simply charge people who record them with "disorderly conduct" or some other throwaway charge).

But as the name implies (WIREtapping) was intended to address when police or civilians can legally record private telephone conversations. Police have had mixed results pushing idea that everybody being recorded in a public space must give consent in two-party states. The term generally thrown around is "reasonable expectation of privacy" ... which police seem to think they have when they're hitting somebody with a baton in a park. In most cases, it's not even the consent that matters, its disclosure (that is, you can record people without their consent in public, you just can't do it on the sly).

This misuse of wiretapping laws is absurd and it's being challenged more and more by the ACLU. A lot of photographers are starting to be awarded decent damages after they've been wrongfully detained or arrested for recording officers.

So I think the idea of criminalizing recordings that contain copyrighted audio (and even copyrighted imagery) is very much relevant.

ADDED: By the way, I can't plug Carlos Miller's site enough: http://www.pixiq.com/contributors/248

Last edited by Aimee Weber; 07-01-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Aimee Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 07-01-2011, 05:20 PM   #22 (permalink)
Now with less padding

My Mood:

Special Achievement in Acronym Usage 
Send a message via AIM to Dancien Graves Send a message via Yahoo to Dancien Graves Send a message via Skype™ to Dancien Graves
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isablan Neva View Post
I'd be careful about making that offer. You might be surprised at which family values warriors might take you up on it.
Well then I would have plenty of blackmail material and shit like this wouldn't be coming up.
Dancien Graves is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Laughed:
Old 07-01-2011, 09:21 PM   #23 (permalink)
Cap'n Motorboat

*SLU Supporter*

Taint-alizer

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Nov 2003
Business: Strokerz Toyz/Strocap/Eros
Send a message via Yahoo to Stroker Serpentine Send a message via Skype™ to Stroker Serpentine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Midnight View Post
I've never understood why YouTube doesn't do what Live365 does and simply provide fields to fill out about any backing music for a video that can then be used to pay royalties to SoundExchange and provide ecommerce links to Amazon and iTunes or their own service.
They kinda do with Audioswap Chip. Also Vimeo can be added as pre-roll if you want to use more artists than Audioswap. Not sure who gets the royalties, but it's underwritten by Youtube.
Stroker Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 07-01-2011, 09:28 PM   #24 (permalink)
Panda Hugs!

one happy panda

My Mood:
Client: 1.23
here's one strike for all of you:

oh and i lol'd at the top comment

"still better than justin bieber"
Bullet Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Yay!:
2 Users Laughed:
Old 07-01-2011, 11:17 PM   #25 (permalink)
That template guy

Meshing Around

My Mood:
Business: CMFF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroker Serpentine View Post
They kinda do with Audioswap Chip. Also Vimeo can be added as pre-roll if you want to use more artists than Audioswap. Not sure who gets the royalties, but it's underwritten by Youtube.
That's pretty cool, but definitely not ideal. It replaces the audio track completely so you can't use any of their tracks as a backing track mixed with other audio.

YouTube has become a great place for music discovery, especially for niche genres like prog. In those cases it's a benefit to artists. I've uploaded several tracks by a UK band called Amplifier because I wanted people to hear them. One of the comments on one of the tracks I uploaded is from the band's drummer, not to complain but to let people know about the release of their latest CD. Hope it got them a few extra sales. I play the heck out of them on my Live365 station too. Looking at my stats for last month about 25 people clicked through to buy CDs from various tracks I play - every bit helps for niche artists. The people who really object are traditional OTA broadcasters through the NAB. We internet broadcasters take away some of their previously captive audience.
Chip Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:

Tags
congress, media, streaming