Police with dog threatens to break photographer's face - Page 2 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » Police with dog threatens to break photographer's face


Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

 
Sponsor:
Lionheart Virtual Estate - Experience the Difference!
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2011, 01:27 PM   #26 (permalink)
misogynistic slut.
 
Deca!'s Avatar
bitches love to be called beautiful.
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: (very) Western North Carolina.
Posts: 7,345
My Mood:
SL Join Date: early 2006.
If I confess that I've videotaped cops actually beating on people at a non-violent, sit-in protest, and have been to court to testify on behalf of my brother and mother who were both assaulted for no reason by the police, can I use that as a badge of honor that somehow makes my (slightly) dissenting opinion worthy of a civil reply?

Because I totally will!
__________________
On my mind liquid pearl
Coolest blue, fire world
But I can't seem to change her mind.

Green deep sea
She knows what she means to me
Will her heart ever burn anymore?
-- Chapterhouse - Pearl.
Deca! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:30 PM   #27 (permalink)
Account Closed
Going Dzerzhinsky
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 637
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deca! View Post
I really wish people didn't make this a black and white issue.

It's possible to apply your own personal feelings / possible reaction regarding being monitored by a civilian without it being read as you're somehow pro-violence on the side of the cops. That's just ridiculous.

Also, no offense Ren, I'm not exactly likely to believe the person taking the video was an angel by his own word. That's not going to happen. With corroboration, maybe, but I can claim to be the Queen of Sheba and you can't prove otherwise.

And slander? Come on.
You're the one who asserted, on the basis of no evidence whatsoever, that the person making the video was "following one with a camera, just waiting for him to maybe do something wrong". It turns out that's not what happened at all. You have no evidence that the person with the camera was doing anything other than what he said he was doing, but you're willing to believe that your evidence-free interpretation of the scene is correct because (a) you have a soft spot for dick cops, or (b) you're too proud to back down when you're wrong.

You're right, slander isn't the right word. It was in writing, so it's libel.
Renaissance Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
1 User Agreed:
Old 06-05-2011, 01:31 PM   #28 (permalink)
misogynistic slut.
 
Deca!'s Avatar
bitches love to be called beautiful.
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: (very) Western North Carolina.
Posts: 7,345
My Mood:
SL Join Date: early 2006.
So that's a no on the badge of honor thing, then? You're right, though, I totally have a thing for dick cops -- unless you actually bothered to read my posts in this thread, instead of seeing a few buzzwords, foaming up at the mouth and thumping out a response with absolutely no basis in fact and a lot of basis in comments from Youtube. Bully for you.

I'm wrong about a lot of things. My opinion on what the cameraman was doing is not one of them, as noone here knows for sure what he was doing. We're all forming opinions.
Deca! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:32 PM   #29 (permalink)
Account Closed
Going Dzerzhinsky
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 637
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deca! View Post
If I confess that I've videotaped cops actually beating on people at a non-violent, sit-in protest, and have been to court to testify on behalf of my brother and mother who were both assaulted for no reason by the police, can I use that as a badge of honor that somehow makes my (slightly) dissenting opinion worthy of a civil reply?

Because I totally will!
Cool, so you don't have a soft spot for dick cops. You're just too proud to back down when you're wrong.

(My previous post was written before I saw your badge of honor post. So sorry for suggesting love of dick cops. Seriously.)
Renaissance Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Groaned:
Old 06-05-2011, 01:35 PM   #30 (permalink)
misogynistic slut.
 
Deca!'s Avatar
bitches love to be called beautiful.
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: (very) Western North Carolina.
Posts: 7,345
My Mood:
SL Join Date: early 2006.
I was definitely wrong about you being able to form a civil response to anyone who disagrees with you in this thread.

Have fun with this one, guys. I'm off to see how my brother's court date is doing and to tell him how much I adore the cop who beat the shit out of him in front of news cameras.
Deca! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:36 PM   #31 (permalink)
Senior Member
Invisible
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaissance Guardian View Post
If you want context, you could go to YouTube and find some, rather than claiming on the basis of no evidence that the person taking the video was "following [the cop] with a camera, just waiting for him to maybe do something wrong".
The evidence is in the fact that there is footage of other cops and by his own account - eight hours of it? Who hangs out eight hours after a fight supposedly took place?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea Mitchell
[pause] Sorry. I'm just trying to catch my breath after that last comment.
Darik is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
1 User Agreed:
Old 06-05-2011, 01:41 PM   #32 (permalink)
Account Closed
Going Dzerzhinsky
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 637
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deca! View Post
I was definitely wrong about you being able to form a civil response to anyone who disagrees with you in this thread.

Have fun with this one, guys. I'm off to see how my brother's court date is doing and to tell him how much I adore the cop who beat the shit out of him in front of news cameras.
Okay, I'll fess up to my part in turning this into a pissing match. We're both posting furiously before waiting to see what the other one says. But for real, you made a claim about what the cameraman was doing without doing anything to investigate the context. There's no evidence here to controvert the cameraman's account of what happened, so the only reason I can see for you continuing to believe otherwise is that it would be embarrassing to climb down from your original position.

So I'll do the first embarrassing climbdown. Sorry for suggesting you love dick cops. Totally wrong and uncalled for. My bad.

But the cameraman - totally within his rights, and acting reasonably, not like a dick at all.
Renaissance Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:42 PM   #33 (permalink)
Account Closed
Going Dzerzhinsky
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 637
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darik View Post
The evidence is in the fact that there is footage of other cops and by his own account - eight hours of it? Who hangs out eight hours after a fight supposedly took place?
Eight minutes dude. Not eight hours. Eight minutes.
Renaissance Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:48 PM   #34 (permalink)
a.k.a. Darkley Aeon
 
Xiomara Mendes's Avatar
I'm every woman
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Where people are shorter and live by the water
Posts: 3,822
My Mood:
SL Join Date: 01/10/07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaissance Guardian View Post
Wrong! If you'd given the full context, as I did above, it would show that he was documenting police behavior in the aftermath of a fight. You have a problem with that? Really?

And blaming the victim for antagonizing the man with the weapons and the dog? Stockholm Syndrome much?

Open your fucking eyes. The person taking the video was reasonable and brave. The cop is a fucking Nazi scumbag. Stop making excuses for him.
Please, on this particular issue I'm Team Nobody. At my old office, the one with all the cameras, if I'd suddenly gotten up while I was supposed to be working and started threatening to break the cameras, I'd quickly find myself out of a job. That doesn't mean that it's peachy for my office to film their employees on the outside chance that they might do something wrong. It might be legal, but I don't think it's ethical at all.

Likewise, the cop here should also quickly find himself out of a job. He is supposed to be working, not screaming at people with cameras. That doesn't change the fact that this guy was recording cops for no real reason. His footage did not show any cop acting unethically or illegally until the end. Again, what was he trying to prove? It seems to me that he wanted to catch a bad cop, and well, he got his wish.

And no disrespect to you, Ren, but I probably have more reason to fear the police than a middle aged white guy, especially in this climate of anti-immigrant hysteria. That doesn't change the fact that I recognize that police work is a job just like any other. And just like in any job, there will be people who will be abusive dicks, and people who will be cool, and people who will be some where in the middle. I personally am going to do what I need to do in my daily travels to avoid making myself a target for the abusive dicks and the would-be abusive dicks, as much as I possibly can. That doesn't make me an apologist, just a realist.
__________________
I stood up during one of our meetings and told the crowd that Soul Plane sucks. Three other people in the room agreed with me, and the four of us had our Negro Membership Cards confiscated. Years after the fact, Tyler Perry still calls me at 3am with death threats.- Teeny Leviathan

Last edited by Xiomara Mendes; 06-05-2011 at 02:08 PM.
Xiomara Mendes is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 06-05-2011, 01:51 PM   #35 (permalink)
Queen of the Metaverse
 
Aimee Weber's Avatar
OH GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE THIS DECADE?!
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 11,707
My Mood:
It seems that any actions that happen off camera or before the filming are almost automatically cast in favor of the police officer. I'm not 100% certain this is a good bias.

So we're assuming that the photographers actions prior to the time on video qualify as "stalking." We don't assume the unrecorded actions of the officers were, perhaps, "needlessly hostile" or "overly aggressive" or some other kind of behavior that might convince a photographer that "hey, something seems to be brewing here, I should probably record it." I don't know either way, but I haven't assumed anything.

All I can say for certain is that an officer said something to a guy that might get *ME* arrested if I were to say it to a citizen (and would absolutely get me arrested if I said it to an officer.)
__________________

All the cool kids are following me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/aimee

Aimee Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 06-05-2011, 01:55 PM   #36 (permalink)
Senior Member
Invisible
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,235
Okay, eight minutes. I don't know where I read eight hours. I guess the caffeine hasn't kicked in yet.

All the same, while the reaction was inappropriate here as well as the video in this thread ( Policeman draws attention to himself...and looks a fool. ) what would have been the reaction to either of those officers asking politely to stop filming because it gave them the creeps? Would this cameraman respond the same as the one in the other thread with this is a public area and I have my rights so too bad? If he did and the cop was still polite and asking to shut off the camera, would the cameraman then be a dick, or would he be a rebel gonzo journalist posting that on YouTube with the story "cop afraid of camera"?
Darik is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 06-05-2011, 02:03 PM   #37 (permalink)
Account Closed
Going Dzerzhinsky
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 637
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomara Mendes View Post
And no disrespect to you, Ren, but I probably have more reason to fear the police than a middle aged white guy, especially in this climate of anti-immigrant hysteria.
Fair enough.

Quote:
That doesn't change the fact that I recognize that police work is a job just like any other. And just like in any job, there will be people who will be abusive dicks, and people who will be cool, and people who will be some where in the middle.
It's not a job like any other. The authority to use force, including lethal force, makes it unlike any other. And therefore should be closely monitored, including by citizens with phone cameras.

Not all cops are abusive dicks, but I don't think the force is a random sample of dickishness, either. A job that, under certain circumstances, allows you to smack your fellow citizens around is bound to attract a disproportionate number of dicks. Unless police forces are serious about keeping the dicks out, they'll flood in. And are they serious? Not in my experience. In my lifetime, I've only seen one chief of police (Joseph McNamara in Kansas City) who was serious about reigning in dick cops. He was run out of town for being mean to our brave men in blue. So yeah, I think cops are more likely to be dicks than your average guy in the street. Could be wrong, but it's not like I have no grounds for believing it.

Quote:
I personally am going to do what I need to do in my daily travels to avoid making myself a target for the abusive dicks and the would-be abusive dicks, as much as I possibly can. That doesn't make me an apologist, just a realist.
That's a reasonable personal choice. But that doesn't mean that someone who takes the risk of making himself a target for abusive dicks should be called on the carpet.
Renaissance Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 02:21 PM   #38 (permalink)
Senior Member
Invisible
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,235
The idea that the man approaching me with a stick, a gun, and a badge is going to beat me up and arrest me for no reason is just paranoid.
Darik is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
1 User Agreed:
2 Users Disagreed:
Old 06-05-2011, 02:22 PM   #39 (permalink)
Account Closed
Going Dzerzhinsky
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 637
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darik View Post
The idea that the man approaching me with a stick, a gun, and a badge is going to beat me up and arrest me for no reason is just paranoid.
This is sarcasm, right?
Renaissance Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 06-05-2011, 02:34 PM   #40 (permalink)
a.k.a. Darkley Aeon
 
Xiomara Mendes's Avatar
I'm every woman
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Where people are shorter and live by the water
Posts: 3,822
My Mood:
SL Join Date: 01/10/07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darik View Post
The idea that the man approaching me with a stick, a gun, and a badge is going to beat me up and arrest me for no reason is just paranoid.
In fairness, you're not being paranoid if they're really out to get you.
Xiomara Mendes is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 06-05-2011, 02:38 PM   #41 (permalink)
Senior Member
Invisible
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaissance Guardian View Post
This is sarcasm, right?
No, it's not. I've never given a cop any reason whatsoever to so much as pull out his/her ticket book. If you approach anyone whether they have a badge or not as someone who is more likely than not to be a punk bully or a rapist that's in my opinion paranoid. Then again, I live a sheltered life where people are generally nice to one another and cops do actually serve and protect.
Darik is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 06-05-2011, 02:50 PM   #42 (permalink)
I am Legion
 
Darkley's Avatar
Filthy Lucre
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: lahndahn
Posts: 5,496
My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2007
Blog Entries: 2

Awards: 1
Thread Title of the Week 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaissance Guardian View Post
You all can keep your nice privileged fantasies about the police. .

Seriously?
priviledged? do you know anything bout us? do you know anything about me?


im taking umbridge UMBRIDGE
__________________
Darkley is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 06-05-2011, 02:56 PM   #43 (permalink)
Account Closed
Going Dzerzhinsky
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 637
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkley View Post
Seriously?
priviledged? do you know anything bout us? do you know anything about me?


im taking umbridge UMBRIDGE
Can I take some umbridge, too? I hope it's something like vicodin, because this spread-the-blame-around bullshit is right pissing me off. If cops don't like citizens documenting what they do while performing their duties, they can get another fucking job. Pretending that the cops don't need that kind of monitoring? If it's not privilege, it's foolishness.
Renaissance Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 02:56 PM   #44 (permalink)
Queen of the Metaverse
 
Aimee Weber's Avatar
OH GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE THIS DECADE?!
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 11,707
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkley View Post
Seriously?
priviledged? do you know anything bout us? do you know anything about me?


im taking umbridge UMBRIDGE
Umbridge, you say? People of SLU, do you declare Umbridge on Darik?

OK, Darik, do you accept this decree of Umbridge?


South Park Calls Shenanigans (Season 2, Episode 13) - Video Clips - South Park Studios
Aimee Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 06-05-2011, 02:59 PM   #45 (permalink)
I am Legion
 
Darkley's Avatar
Filthy Lucre
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: lahndahn
Posts: 5,496
My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2007
Blog Entries: 2

Awards: 1
Thread Title of the Week 
darik?
Darkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:00 PM   #46 (permalink)
I am Legion
 
Darkley's Avatar
Filthy Lucre
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: lahndahn
Posts: 5,496
My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2007
Blog Entries: 2

Awards: 1
Thread Title of the Week 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaissance Guardian View Post
Can I take some umbridge, too? I hope it's something like vicodin, because this spread-the-blame-around bullshit is right pissing me off. If cops don't like citizens documenting what they do while performing their duties, they can get another fucking job. Pretending that the cops don't need that kind of monitoring? If it's not privilege, it's foolishness.
for the record, the cop was bang of of order, and they wshould be watched, but im addressing your 'priviledged' comment
Darkley is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 06-05-2011, 03:04 PM   #47 (permalink)
Senior Member
Invisible
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkley View Post
darik?
Yes, Darkley?
Darik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:06 PM   #48 (permalink)
Account Closed
Going Dzerzhinsky
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 637
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkley View Post
for the record, the cop was bang of of order, and they wshould be watched, but im addressing your 'priviledged' comment
As Xiomara pointed out, the police generally don't fuck with people like me. So, if I wanted to, I could indulge in the fantasy of "the policeman is my friend" or "the policeman is just a guy in a tough situation trying to do a tough job as best he can". I can't count the number of similarly privileged people who indulge in these fantasies. No doubt some people who don't enjoy that privilege engage in similar fantasies, but if they do, they're being foolish.
Renaissance Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 06-05-2011, 03:07 PM   #49 (permalink)
I am Legion
 
Darkley's Avatar
Filthy Lucre
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: lahndahn
Posts: 5,496
My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2007
Blog Entries: 2

Awards: 1
Thread Title of the Week 
Aimee comment, quoting me but addressing you
Darkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:08 PM   #50 (permalink)
I am Legion
 
Darkley's Avatar
Filthy Lucre
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: lahndahn
Posts: 5,496
My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2007
Blog Entries: 2

Awards: 1
Thread Title of the Week 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaissance Guardian View Post
As Xiomara pointed out, the police generally don't fuck with people like me. So, if I wanted to, I could indulge in the fantasy of "the policeman is my friend" or "the policeman is just a guy in a tough situation trying to do a tough job as best he can". I can't count the number of similarly privileged people who indulge in these fantasies. No doubt some people who don't enjoy that privilege engage in similar fantasies, but if they do, they're being foolish.
but addressing us on masse as priviledged was foolish, considering out wide and varied backgrounds and locations

have you ever been arrested?
Darkley is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Reply

Tags
photography, police

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On