Etsy users irked after buyers, purchases exposed to the world - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » Etsy users irked after buyers, purchases exposed to the world

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
Lionheart Virtual Estate - Experience the Difference!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2011, 02:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lustful Cockmonster

*SLU Supporter*

Unedited

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2004
Etsy users irked after buyers, purchases exposed to the world

Etsy users irked after buyers, purchases exposed to the world

Quote:
What would you do if you registered on a site to buy something, only to find months later that your user account was searchable and your purchases were exposed? That scenario is currently playing out for Etsy users, who are dealing with the fallout from Etsy's decision to roll out a new People Search tool. The site, dedicated to enabling crafters and artisans to sell their work online, has yet to notify its user base of the change that exposes users' real names and, via their profile pages, anything they have purchased and left feedback on.

The controversy began last week when Etsy flipped the switch on People Search as part of its effort to make Etsy feel more like a social network. Now, when users run a search for a person's full name, that user's account will show up in the search results, even if that person is only a buyer. The goal is to allow users to connect to each other and create "Circles," which then allow users to see which products their friends have favorited or purchased on Etsy.

The problem is that, aside from a thread in Etsy's forums (which is almost entirely used by sellers, not buyers), Etsy has not notified users of the change in privacy settings or policy. Previously, users could search Etsy for seller names, but the names of buyers were not exposed as part of the search. Not only are buyers searchable now, they're even searchable by real name if that info is in their account profiles—this is not a required element of the registration process, but there's nothing to indicate that it's optional. Most users enter it to enable a smooth transaction when they make a purchase.
Quote:
Why does this matter? Not everyone wants their purchases to be made public—and some purchases are definitely more private than others. "I just found a woman who's Etsy profile comes up on Google as the 5th link. I was expecting 6 or 7 pages down, but it's on the very first page, right after her online resumes," wrote one concerned user on the Penny Arcade forums. "She signed up a year ago, under the old privacy policy, and hasn't logged in since 2010. And now I know what dildo she uses. Right down to the curvature and coloring."

A different user added later on in the thread, "Found an XXL glass dildo with veins and swirled gold coloring (beautiful piece really) and checked to see if anyone favorited it. Someone did. She also favorited some cosplay cat eat hats [sic] and a bell collar/necklace thing. Then I found her on Facebook."
Joshua Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Indubitably

*SLU Supporter*

Still better than Joshua at worms armageddon

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 9-Jan-04
Send a message via Skype™ to Adam Zaius
I dare say, someone might have some regretsy's.
Adam Zaius is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Groaned:
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-15-2011, 02:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
ἀφορισμός

Nartana

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 01/16/2007
I detect lawsuits. If Netflix can be sued for "outing" people than Etsy can for the same reason.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
BettyBee

Abra-abra-rracuda

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Oct. 2006
Business: Total Betty
Client: whatever the latest SL client is.

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Zaius View Post
I dare say, someone might have some regretsy's.
I hadn't checked this site in a while but thanks! I now feel really great about my girlie parts! It’s The Great Wall of Vagina, Charlie Brown (NSFW) | Regretsy

And Etsy? WTH? What a stupid stupid idea.

My SL Marketplace
Betty Barracuda is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Laughed:
Old 03-15-2011, 02:34 AM   #5 (permalink)

The Secondlife Marketplace is built on the same software.

Enjoy.
Ann Otoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:57 AM   #6 (permalink)

DEUS EST HOMO

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2007-08-17
Client: Viewer Development
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Otoole View Post
The Secondlife Marketplace is built on the same software.

Enjoy.
Still about a BIZILLON times better then the old Xstreet based off postnuke (or was it PHPnuke? in any case )
Johnnie Carling is online now   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 03-15-2011, 05:03 AM   #7 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

Guinea Pig 
My automatic reaction was to delete my account. I don't really care about them making that particular data available about me, but that's hardly the point. I don't feel I can trust a company that pisses around with customer data like this.
Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
Miss Midipenny

*SLU Supporter*

Oh Midi.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: July 2007
Client: Viewer 3
Honestly, how could this have seemed like a good idea? This is just the last in a long line of companies abusing trust and misusing personal information. I want to just delete myself off the whole internet when I read stuff like this. Not that there is anything online that I'm worried about in particular, just as a matter of principle.

Gah.

I have seen the moment of my greatness flicker,
And I have seen the eternal Footman hold my coat, and snicker,
And in short, I was afraid.

The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock, T.S. Eliot
Midi Reifsnider is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
Old 03-15-2011, 09:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
Pol
cautiously optimistic

*SLU Supporter*

Moderate (previously Mature)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: December 18, 2003
20 Sad Etsy Boyfriends - Urlesque
Pol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

Hi, Adam Brown from Etsy here.
Just wanted to let you know that we have resolved this. As of right now, all your purchases and feedback on Etsy are now automatically set to private.
You can read more about it in our blog: Rethinking Feedback :: Etsy Blog
adambrownetsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
Mercenary of Illusion

Disruptive

My Mood:
SL Join Date: November, 2004
Business: Skybox Nirvana, Tenth Muse Furniture
Thanks, Adam.

I was getting ready to set up an account with Etsy and I'm pleased that your team jumped on things, hunted down posts made across the web to make certain that concerns of customers and members were taken care of.

That's good business. LL could learn a thing or two from you.

SLU: I came for the community. I stayed for the derails.

Visit my Marketplace Store!
Isablan Neva is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-15-2011, 07:13 PM   #12 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

*SLU Supporter*

No longer awardless

My Mood:
SL Join Date: September 11, 2005

The ShangriLlama Award 
Wow that's awesome. As an Etsy seller, I was really concerned about this and I'm glad to see that the Etsy team has stepped up to the plate. Thanks Adam.

Vivi's real life jewelry shop:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/NaturalTreasuresbyDe
AND
http://www.naturaltreasuresbydeb.com
Vivianne Draper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
Queen of the Metaverse

Oh hai!

My Mood:
This reminds me of how Facebook periodically dips its toe in the share-everybody's-information pool and then quickly retracts it when it feels the violent reaction. Companies are chomping at the bit to share every piece of information they can about you ... and eventually they'll all do it (even if only for a day or two.)

Remember when filling out personal information online ... lie, lie, lie.

All the cool kids are following me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/aimee

Aimee Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 03-15-2011, 07:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
ἀφορισμός

Nartana

My Mood:
The fact that Adam came here, registered, and posted an update is damn impressive. Though I have to admit that the tone of his blog post is annoyingly passive aggressive.
Shadowen Silvera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:58 PM   #15 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

*SLU Supporter*

No longer awardless

My Mood:
SL Join Date: September 11, 2005

The ShangriLlama Award 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowen Silvera View Post
The fact that Adam came here, registered, and posted an update is damn impressive. Though I have to admit that the tone of his blog post is annoyingly passive aggressive.
I just found it informative. I imagine the guy has been going nuts all day doing damage control.
Vivianne Draper is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-15-2011, 08:11 PM   #16 (permalink)
Queen of the Metaverse

Oh hai!

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivianne Draper View Post
I just found it informative. I imagine the guy has been going nuts all day doing damage control.
Pretty much. I would have been more impressed if they didn't didn't try to pull the fast one in the first place ... but at least they aren't being obstinate about it (hi Mr. Zuckerberg!)

It can't be easy to personally hit every complaining forum with a little crow-eating. Credit where credit is due.
Aimee Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:20 PM   #17 (permalink)
ἀφορισμός

Nartana

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimee Weber View Post
Pretty much. I would have been more impressed if they didn't didn't try to pull the fast one in the first place ... but at least they aren't being obstinate about it (hi Mr. Zuckerberg!)

It can't be easy to personally hit every complaining forum with a little crow-eating. Credit where credit is due.
Aye, it's very impressive for him to follow up here and elsewhere. Kudos to Adam for a job well done.
Shadowen Silvera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:31 PM   #18 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 01/15/07
Client: Firestorm
He sensed the fu-man-chu power of the forum on google... Heh!

Joodle Fadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Laughed:
Old 03-16-2011, 02:12 AM   #19 (permalink)

Explorer of deep rabit holes

My Mood:
I'm not sure they really fixed the problem. I have been looking at their forum and their sellers are still upset. Also it looks as though they just underfed the feedback system. buyers apparently can still be searched by name & email and their favorites still show.
Samantha Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 03-17-2011, 10:43 AM   #20 (permalink)
Mercenary of Illusion

Disruptive

My Mood:
SL Join Date: November, 2004
Business: Skybox Nirvana, Tenth Muse Furniture
This was timely and apropos;

Replies Can Change Customer Minds | Neuromarketing

Quote:
It turns out that the way companies respond to bad online reviews makes a difference, too. As reported by Mediapost, a Harris survey showed that 18% of those who posted a negative review of the merchant and got a reply ended up becoming loyal customers and buying more.

In addition, and perhaps an even bigger surprise, nearly 70% of those consumers receiving replies reversed the negative content either by deleting the bad review or posting a second positive one. Considering the power of word of mouth, and in particular negative word of mouth, that’s a stunning accomplishment.

While salvaging one out of five unhappy customers is a laudable goal (and, I suspect, a lot cheaper than prospecting for new customers), I have no doubt the benefits extend far beyond that number. Countless other buyers reading reviews will see a proactive response to a problem instead of an unanswered (and apparently ignored) complaint. (Indeed, when I’m evaluating an online purchase I usually visit the firm’s forum to see how quickly and effectively they respond to problem reports. Unanswered complaints are a huge red flag.)
Isablan Neva is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks: