Texas Supreme Court cites... the Vulcans - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » Texas Supreme Court cites... the Vulcans

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
Lionheart Virtual Estate - Experience the Difference!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2010, 12:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

future girl from the past

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May, 2008
Client: V3 w/Starlight

Awards: 1
Special Achievement in Thread Titling 
Send a message via Skype™ to Free Xue
Texas Supreme Court cites... the Vulcans

Star Trek cited by Texas Supreme Court

Quote:
The Texas Supreme Court when writing their opinion in Robinson v. Crown Cork and Seal cited Mr. Spock, effectively making him a legal authority for interpreting the Texas Constitution.

Quote:
Appropriately weighty principles guide our course. First, we recognize that police power draws from the credo that “the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.” Second, while this maxim rings utilitarian and Dickensian (not to mention Vulcan21), it is cabined by something contrarian and Texan: distrust of intrusive government and a belief that police power is justified only by urgency, not expediency.
Footnote 21 reads:

Quote:
See STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN (Paramount Pictures 1982). The film references several works of classic literature, none more prominently than A Tale of Two Cities. Spock gives Admiral Kirk an antique copy as a birthday present, and the film itself is bookended with the book’s opening and closing passages. Most memorable, of course, is Spock’s famous line from his moment of sacrifice: “Don’t grieve, Admiral. It is logical. The needs of the many outweigh . . .” to which Kirk replies, “the needs of the few.”
And the teabaggers are worried about Sharia Law!
Free Xue is online now   Reply With Quote
3 Users Said Yay!:
1 User Laughed:
1 User Hugged You:
Old 10-29-2010, 01:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Cute as a button

My Mood:
I think Texas gets an unfair reputation as a "conservative" state, when they have their own unique style that - even though it might in some cases be considered conservative- isn't always easy to predict unless you've lived there. The most illustrative sentence here is "something contrarian and Texan: distrust of intrusive government and a belief that police power is justified only by urgency, not expediency.."

People associate Texas with Bush (whose family was really from Maine), but how do they forget that Kinky Friedman, Clyde Barrow, Janis Joplin, Molly Ivins, Willie Nelson, Howard Hughes, or (to get back on topic) Gene Roddenberry are also famous Texans who absolutely illustrate the Lone Star state's famous reputation for individuality?

I miss Texas. I grew up there and haven't been back in years. Used to go down to 6th Street when I was in high school and see Stevie Ray Vaughn play Jimi Hendrix covers for like 6$ I saw Lightning Hopkins- really old-- one time just playing guitar in the quad at University of Houston. First time I ever saw the Big Boys, Minutemen, Black Flag, and the Dead Kennedy's it was all in Houston or Austin. Where I went to school there's a giant bronze statue of Buddy Holly.

Well anyhow. I like that state. It's it's own kind of crazy, I guess, but anyhow.

/Texas fan, no political party on my voting card
Jitterbug is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
Old 10-29-2010, 01:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
That template guy

Meshing Around

My Mood:
Business: CMFF
As long as they stick to Vulcan maxims and don't start citing Ferengi.
Chip Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

future girl from the past

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May, 2008
Client: V3 w/Starlight

Awards: 1
Special Achievement in Thread Titling 
Send a message via Skype™ to Free Xue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Midnight View Post
As long as they stick to Vulcan maxims and don't start citing Ferengi.
/me now lwaits for Brenda to appear.
Free Xue is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
1 User Agreed: