RIAA spent $64 million to recover 1.3 million - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » RIAA spent $64 million to recover 1.3 million

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
Lionheart Virtual Estate - Experience the Difference!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2010, 03:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

Eppur si muove

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May, 2005
Client: Firestorm

Awards: 4
Special Achievement In Creepy Avatar Threads 
RIAA spent $64 million to recover 1.3 million

Sheer genius!

Recording Industry vs. The People

Quote:
As bad as it was, I guess it was better than the numbers for 2007, in which more than $21 million was spent on legal fees, and $3.5 million on "investigative operations" ... presumably MediaSentry. And the amount recovered was $515,929.

And 2006 was similar: they spent more than $19,000,000 in legal fees and more than $3,600,000 in "investigative operations" expenses to recover $455,000.

So all in all, for a 3 year period, they spent around $64,000,000 in legal and investigative expenses to recover around $1,361,000.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lustful Cockmonster

*SLU Supporter*

Unedited

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2004
Well it all worked out in the end at least because piracy totally stopped completely and utterly.
Joshua Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/20/2008
Client: LL Viewer V3

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Money well spent. At this rate, they should be insolvent in about five years!
You have a wonderful playful quality that sets you apart from the others, yet you maintain a sensual and sultry look- a certain depth in your gaze that shows there is much more beneath the surface. You tempt others with your sweet, girl next door look, but have the ability to eat them alive if they tread too far. I'm giving you a 7.3. Congratulations and shame on you! You are a slut when you want to be and a perfect lady when you decide to play the part.
Katheryne Helendale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

*SLU Supporter*

No longer awardless

My Mood:
SL Join Date: September 11, 2005

The ShangriLlama Award 
i love that they did this sooo much. well not enough to make up for the lives they ruined but i'm glad they screwed in the end

Vivi's real life jewelry shop:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/NaturalTreasuresbyDe
AND
http://www.naturaltreasuresbydeb.com
Vivianne Draper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
That template guy

Meshing Around

My Mood:
Business: CMFF
From their perspective it's not about the damages collected from those they sue. It's about the effect on overall revenues based on those they deter as a result. Whether or not it works in another matter entirely, but the argument of the article is either deliberately obtuse or written by someone not terribly bright.
Chip Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 07-14-2010, 04:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

SL Join Date: 1 Sept. 2008
Send a message via AIM to Leslie Plutonian Send a message via Yahoo to Leslie Plutonian
It's bad enough they screw musicians on recording contracts, but wow, talk about throwing money away. The sad thing is, they knew it was a lost cause when they started. My understanding is that even the out of court settlements they offer cost them more than the $3000 offer.

On top of that, even they admit it did little to curb piracy (yet continued to do it) and some even argue that the press coverage actually made more people aware that they could get music for free. Based on my customers, I would say the latter is quite likely true, it's rare that I go to deal with a virus and find that even if it didn't come in through music sharing programs, they almost always have one.

I'm pretty convinced that if I were a new musician with a recording contract I would take a long hard look at the RIAA before I were to become part of it.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Script Kitty

SL Join Date: 2/16/2007
Business: Black Operations
Client: Singularity
From their perspective, they don't have to go after the users or discourage people from downloading music illegally. From the perspective of the RIAA, their goal is probably to shut down as many distributors as possible, and by shutting down prominent distributors, they would then make it more difficult for people to obtain pirated music. They may not have to shut down every pirated copy of music, they only have to make it significantly more convenient to purchase music legally through iTunes or some other legitimate source than it is to find a pirated copy.

Granted, it would probably be far more efficient and effective to focus on increasing the convenience of purchasing music legitmately. Bringing in customers is a far more concrete gain than trying to stem what are mostly opportunity costs, at best, through enforcement.
Jahar Aabye is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 07-15-2010, 02:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

The lawyers got paid.

Ann Otoole is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Yay!:
1 User Laughed:
Old 07-15-2010, 07:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Novice Harpist

*SLU Supporter*

Thumbs Up Sweetie

My Mood:
SL Join Date: November, 2003
Yeah, the union RIAA bureaucracy got paid as well. People who support RIAA were duped into feeding these clowns another year. Wonder when they'll learn?
[16:43] Vinney Lorenz: unban me and give me my land, or i will get u in front of the courtyard
Khamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Baby Baroness

OMG ICONS

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2005.10.28
Client: 1.23
Send a message via Yahoo to Wildefire Walcott
The RIAA knows exactly what they're doing, and in their minds they are achieving their goal, which is reducing the number of people who think they can get away with pirating with no repercussions. Obviously they haven't (and won't) stop piracy, but they're providing very public examples that probably will dissuade some casual downloaders and raise parental awareness. (Because if your kid gets caught downloading, it's the person who pays the broadband bill who's responsible.)

This is completely different from the Hurt Locker suits, which definitely are about generating profits and minimizing legal fees. (I think that these won't last very long, because I expect the laws will change to require copyright holders to file individual suits instead of single suits with a never-ending list of to-be-identified defendants. But as of right now they are a real danger to downloaders in the US.)

Desperation Isle Productions: Scripted skyboxes for lots (and budgets) of all sizes!
Wildefire Walcott is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 07-16-2010, 02:59 AM   #11 (permalink)

SL Join Date: 1 Sept. 2008
Send a message via AIM to Leslie Plutonian Send a message via Yahoo to Leslie Plutonian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildefire Walcott View Post
The RIAA knows exactly what they're doing, and in their minds they are achieving their goal, which is reducing the number of people who think they can get away with pirating with no repercussions. Obviously they haven't (and won't) stop piracy, but they're providing very public examples that probably will dissuade some casual downloaders and raise parental awareness. (Because if your kid gets caught downloading, it's the person who pays the broadband bill who's responsible.)
That is the thing though, while it got some people to reconsider, it brought awareness to the fact that this stuff is out there.

Almost every one of my customers (I do I.T.) either have a file sharing program to download music, or they ask me what to use to get illegal music. Almost every on of them, especially if they have kids.
Leslie Plutonian is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 07-16-2010, 04:27 AM   #12 (permalink)
Lustful Cockmonster

*SLU Supporter*

Unedited

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahar Aabye View Post
From their perspective, they don't have to go after the users or discourage people from downloading music illegally. From the perspective of the RIAA, their goal is probably to shut down as many distributors as possible, and by shutting down prominent distributors, they would then make it more difficult for people to obtain pirated music. They may not have to shut down every pirated copy of music, they only have to make it significantly more convenient to purchase music legally through iTunes or some other legitimate source than it is to find a pirated copy.

Granted, it would probably be far more efficient and effective to focus on increasing the convenience of purchasing music legitmately. Bringing in customers is a far more concrete gain than trying to stem what are mostly opportunity costs, at best, through enforcement.
Convenience or not, people still download illegally.

And sorry, having watched these RIAA cases for years I am not the least bit convinced that they or their lawyers are even mildly capable of the Jedi planning and "greater goal" that you attribute to them. The whole thing was about punitive destruction and bankrupting individuals to make a point, and I suspect that they strongly misjudged the public backlash to it. They expected everyone to go "Oh yeah, downloading music illegally is wrong!" and didn't count on the public or artists themselves coming out and telling the RIAA to go fuck themselves.

That's why they've backed away from these large scale lawsuits in favour of smaller ones where they can subpoena a thousand "John Does" and extort them for "I won't sue you" money. That earns them direct payback, which ofcourse the artists they claim to be collecting for never see.
Joshua Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:59 AM   #13 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 3/9/2006
Hey, who says Music Piracy isn't good for the economy?

http://allaroundthegrid.blogspot.com/
Ramen Jedburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:18 AM   #14 (permalink)
Now with less padding

My Mood:

Special Achievement in Acronym Usage 
Send a message via AIM to Dancien Graves Send a message via Yahoo to Dancien Graves Send a message via Skype™ to Dancien Graves
If there is a song about this I am going to see if it's on Limewire
Dancien Graves is online now   Reply With Quote
3 Users Laughed:
Old 07-16-2010, 10:24 AM   #15 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

Eppur si muove

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May, 2005

Awards: 4
Special Achievement In Creepy Avatar Threads 
I used Limewire for years without any problems. When I started trying to grab other pirated stuff - software or movies - was when I started getting really nasty trojans and viruses.

Haven't done that in a long time, now. I'm 100% legit these days. So I'm thinking the best way to stop piracy is for the RIAA to stick viruses in pirated music files and infect all those piratey pirates!
Cindy Claveau is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 07-16-2010, 11:13 AM   #16 (permalink)
Queen of the Metaverse

Sniffin' nose dog

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancien Graves View Post
If there is a song about this I am going to see if it's on Limewire

All the cool kids are following me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/aimee

Aimee Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:17 AM   #17 (permalink)
Scripter Most Ordinary

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 14/03/09 this AV
Business: None
Client: Catznip
Send a message via MSN to Makoto Send a message via Yahoo to Makoto
Makoto is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 07-16-2010, 11:58 AM   #18 (permalink)
Account Closed

My Mood:
Seems pretty clear to me that it was $64m of F.U.D. the RIAA bought.
Tranquility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 02:53 PM   #19 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

*cat noises*

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May, 2008

Awards: 2
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Looks like our evil plan to bankrupt the industry is working. Oh, I probably shouldn't mention the evil plan, should I?
[confused cats against feminism]
la lucha sigue...
Free Xue is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 07-16-2010, 03:51 PM   #20 (permalink)
Account Closed

My Mood:
Well it is a total movie cliche that an even more evil adversary makes the original less evil bad guy go good....at least until the even more evil adversary can be annihilated.
Tranquility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:06 PM   #21 (permalink)

Nitwit magnet

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 06/07
Client: Firestorm, SL Beta Viewer, Exodus, CoolVL, NiranV
It's never been about catching the pirates or recovering money to pay the starving musicians or about putting a thought in anyone's head about how wrong piracy is or about just doing what's right. It's always been about skimming even more money off the top to pay lawyers instead of paying the artists and musicians who actually make the music under the sham of doing something to defend the musician's rights. But then the alleged musicians have been getting younger and younger, increasingly disposable, and have become cookie cutter examples of each other as the industry trowels out ever more horrible music while complaining about how sales are down.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:47 PM   #22 (permalink)
Wordcrafter

Always Learning

My Mood:
SL Join Date: June 3, 2008
Business: DG Productions
May their "deficit" continue to increase exponentially . . . if they persist in pursuing their present course.

--- Rema

Artifacts at Aedificii (mainstore): http://slurl.com/secondlife/juree/206/203/81
Aedificii: An Ancient Roman Town: http://slurl.com/secondlife/juree/198/188/86
Rema Quandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:25 PM   #23 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 3/9/2006
Basically what it comes down to, when the RIAA claims that "Piracy is costing the industry millions of dollars....", they don't mean ".... In music sales."

They mean ".... In pointless legal fees."
Ramen Jedburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 07-17-2010, 01:33 PM   #24 (permalink)
Novice Harpist

*SLU Supporter*

Thumbs Up Sweetie

My Mood:
SL Join Date: November, 2003
RIAA: next candidate for too big too fail
Khamon is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Yay!: