So what happened to Dymond Milburn? - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » So what happened to Dymond Milburn?

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
Lionheart Virtual Estate - Experience the Difference!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2008, 02:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to Mocksoup Graves
So what happened to Dymond Milburn?

Dymond Milburn - A Victim of Police Brutality « SHADMIA’S WORLD

From what I am gleaning, she was falsely arrested by 4 plainclothes policemen for prostitution (who failed to identify themselves), in front of her own house, beaten by them badly enough to be hospitalised... and then was arrested for 'assaulting an officer' three weeks later at her school.
She thought she was being abducted. They were at the WRONG address.
And the City had the GALL to say the officers did nothing wrong in the circumstances.

Did I mention she was twelve years old and screaming for her Daddy?

Anyone from Galveston have anymore information to share?
Mocksoup Graves is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 12-20-2008, 02:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tired

*SLU Supporter*

Watery

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 4/28/2005
Outrageous. And double outrageous that they plan to press charges against this child.
Brenda Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 03:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tired

*SLU Supporter*

Watery

My Mood:
Milburn v. Gomez et al - 3:2008cv00193 - Justia Federal District Court Filings and Dockets

found in the comments at:

The Agitator » Blog Archive » Another Isolated Incident
Old 12-20-2008, 03:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tired

*SLU Supporter*

Watery

My Mood:
More:

http://www.courthousenews.com/2008/0...vestonCops.pdf
Old 12-20-2008, 03:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tired

*SLU Supporter*

Watery

My Mood:
There was quite a bit more, just from Googling in advanced search on phrase "Dymond Milburn" but I have to back away from this now, or I'm not going to get any sleep before work tomorrow.
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 12-20-2008, 03:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tired

*SLU Supporter*

Watery

My Mood:
And I can't sufficiently express my shock at the implications of this.
Old 12-20-2008, 05:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Script Kitty

SL Join Date: 2/16/2007
Business: Black Operations
Client: Singularity
My first thought, before reading this, is that I can guess her race, and the race of the officers.

After reading through it, wow. Those officers are lucky the father didn't fucking kill them. There are a lot of men who, if they walked out their door and found four men attacking their daughter, would have gone back inside and come out with a shotgun...especially in Texas.

And they're even luckier to be alive after surviving being assaulted by a 12 year old girl. Jesus fucking Christ, do they realize that they're going to be laughed out of court on that one? No judge in his right mind is going to let that case proceed, and no jury is going to convict....oh, wait, I forgot how this works, they're going to make sure it's an all-White jury, of course, so who knows.

But I suspect that the main reason why they filed charges was because they thought that they'd have to in order to avoid a lawsuit.
But I cannot take your arguments seriously when you back them up with links to ridiculously bad information. It's not bad because I disagree with it, it's bad because it really is bad. These sites demonstrate zero knowledge of the science they are discussing, they link almost exclusively to other non-information, and when they DO link to an authoritative source, they misrepresent what the source actually says.
Jahar Aabye is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 12-21-2008, 07:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Mood:
Really? How on earth can they even think they would get away with this? Anyone regardless of colour with children would be outraged.
Kit Lacy is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 12-21-2008, 07:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

On Pandora

Awards: 1
Thread Title of the Week 
One of the three, Officer Gilbert Gomez, has since been promoted to vice Narcotics commander.

"The examining physician found that Dymond suffered injuries from multiple blows to the head, face, neck, lower back, left shoulder, and left hip/waist area. She suffered a contusion to the back of the head (where she was struck with a flashlight). There were abrasions on her arm and wrist. Her throat was swollen; she had difficulty swallowing, nausea and vomiting, and hoarseness of voice due to being struck in the throat. She had black eyes, scalp lacerations, tenderness of the vertebrae. She was experiencing double vision and loss of hearing. Dymond’s ear drum and nose were also injured (blood in ear, bruised nasal septum, and nose bleed)."

Tess

Tess Whitcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 12-21-2008, 07:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

My Mood:
How on earth has this not hit the media?
Old 12-21-2008, 08:17 PM   #11 (permalink)

On Pandora

Awards: 1
Thread Title of the Week 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit Lacy View Post
How on earth has this not hit the media?
I think at least part of the reason is that it happened more than two years ago.

"The night of August 22, 2006 would change the life of Dymond Milburn, 12, and her family forever. Before the night was over Dymond, an honor student attending advanced classes at Austin Middle School, would be falsely accused of being a prostitute and assaulted by 4 undercover Galveston police officers - while hanging unto a tree limb, yelling “Daddy, Daddy, Daddy” - requiring that she be hospitalized. According to the lawsuit:"

The latest news is...

"Griffin says he expects to enter mediation with the officers in early 2009 to resolve the lawsuit."

Tess
Tess Whitcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 12-21-2008, 09:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tired

*SLU Supporter*

Watery

My Mood:
These cops ought to be out of a job, not getting mediated with. I hope someone will still raise a ruckus, but probably they won't.

I always had the impression in my neighborhood in south Houston that the cops more or less tolerated the pimps and I wouldn't be surprised to find Galveston was the same. It is a much more corrupt and dangerous situation than anyone lets on - a very coercive situation for the young women who get caught in it. I think there is more to this story than we've been told, maybe I'm paranoid. I'm going to have to ignore this thread, it's too upsetting.
1 User Agreed:
Old 12-22-2008, 03:03 PM   #13 (permalink)
Script Kitty

SL Join Date: 2/16/2007
Business: Black Operations
Client: Singularity
Black victim, White cops.

This story has been played out many times before. The cops get a slap on the wrist, the victim gets told that she should be relieved that they're dropping the charges against her. Ughhh.

I hope to be proven wrong, but I doubt it. Especially in Texas.
Jahar Aabye is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 12-23-2008, 06:53 PM   #14 (permalink)

My Mood:
Well let's agitate on this. I think a quick email to Oprah would quickly make this the issue for a very interesting show. Having Dr Phil on there as well to counsel the poor girl (as well as sending a message that this "isn't the sorta thing that should happen in Texas") would help.