McCain requests postponing Friday debate - Page 9 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » McCain requests postponing Friday debate

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
Lionheart Virtual Estate - Experience the Difference!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2008, 09:45 PM   #201 (permalink)
Cheese Baron

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/6/2004
McCain seems more and more determined to completely piss off the media. Debates cost a ton of money, and take a lot of time to set up. If he just says "screw it, i'm not going," well... that wouldn't go over too well. These aren't people who take too well to being blown off on a regular basis. Just look how they are handling not being allowed anywhere near Palin except in rare, short interviews.
Lianne Marten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 11:18 PM   #202 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: June 12, 2003

Awards: 1
Gaming Guru 
Huckabee: McCain Made A Huge Mistake - Alabama Mobile Mississippi Campaign 08 News - WKRG.com
Edav Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 11:23 PM   #203 (permalink)
Thorny yet fuzzy

Oh, I zigs and I zags; I tos and I fros

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2003
OMG the lefties got to Huckabee. There can be no other explanation!
Briar Bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 11:32 PM   #204 (permalink)
Pol
cautiously optimistic

*SLU Supporter*

Moderate (previously Mature)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: December 18, 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
As the debate goes on, Obama will get a question on some thing in Iraq. He'll talk for about 4 minutes and spout all kinds of statisitcs and numbers and figures and come off like he spent all last week mastering the numbers of war.

Then McCain will smile, chuckle and say "look, I don't have a bunch of frilly numbers memorized to make my case. I was busy in Washington saving the economy with the rest of the Senate while my opponent here was reviewing his notes. But here's what I don't need to study: We need to......"

And then he'll sound like a guy that fires from the hip, does what he needs to do first, and what he wants to do second and so on.
That sounds like a conservative wet dream. The problem is...

Obama ain't Kerry.
And 2008 McCain ain't 2000 McCain.
Pol is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 09-26-2008, 12:23 AM   #205 (permalink)

Retired

Thread Title of the Week 
Yes, well, on the other hand, you've got Bill Clinton going on TV and saying that he did it in good faith, not as a stunt.

Politics make strange bedfellows, indeed.

coco
Cocoanut Koala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:30 AM   #206 (permalink)
Wishful Thinker

I haz status?

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2/23/2008
CNN.com: Sen. John McCain will participate in tonight's presidential debate.
Maureen Boccaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 09-26-2008, 10:32 AM   #207 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

Humming La La La

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May, 2005
Client: Firestorm

Awards: 4
Special Achievement In Creepy Avatar Threads Special Achievement In Nazi References Special Achievement in Thread Titling Thread Title of the Week 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maureen Boccaccio View Post
CNN.com: Sen. John McCain will participate in tonight's presidential debate.
Wow. He really healed up fast.

McCain Delays Debate to Lengthen Legs | Weekly World News

Quote:
BREAKING NEWS! Senator McCain has asked for the Friday debate to be delayed so he may “focus on the economy”. But insiders tell Weekly World News it’s just a cover-up to hide his secret leg-lengthening surgery!

“I won’t be dwarfed by a Democrat!”, candidate declares.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 09-26-2008, 10:36 AM   #208 (permalink)
La Vie Boheme

It's all relative

My Mood:
SL Join Date: January 2005
YES!

He is sooooo toast!

Maddie Blaustein: the very definition of wit.
Redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:51 AM   #209 (permalink)
Dead Guy

Expert Witless

My Mood:
Quote:
Then McCain will smile, chuckle and say "look, I don't have a bunch of frilly numbers memorized to make my case. I was busy in Washington saving the economy with the rest of the Senate while my opponent here was reviewing his notes. But here's what I don't need to study: We need to......"
Haha, apparently not! It sounds like all he did was sit there like a bump on a log and let the adults try to sort it out.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in.
Asher Bertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:54 AM   #210 (permalink)
Hard-Hitting Cornerback

I thought they should have filed for bankruptcy BEFORE we gave them billions of dollars

My Mood:

Thread Title of the Week 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucifer Baphomet View Post
Gotta disagree with you Mero.

Massive increases of mentally ill homeless people are a direct result of "care in the community" programs.

Closures of long term hospitals on both sides of the atlantic have led to huge numbers of mentally ill people on the streets.
Show me some numbers. From what I saw posted, it said that closing hospitals hadn't been an issue since the 1940's.

Beyond that, my main issue is with beggars, not homeless - they are not the same thing.

Frederick Douglas
Merovigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 11:01 AM   #211 (permalink)
Hard-Hitting Cornerback

I thought they should have filed for bankruptcy BEFORE we gave them billions of dollars

My Mood:

Thread Title of the Week 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoanut Koala View Post
Well, it's not all that cut and dried.

Life savings can be wiped out by a bad economy, and wiped out by medical expenses. And may not be that much in the first place, unless you have had high-paying jobs, or if you had kids or various financial setbacks, etc.

We don't always have control over everything. Or, there could be a bad divorce and so forth. Put simply, life isn't necessarily financially easy for old people, even if they did everything right and planned as well as they could.

coco
I agree...and so long as I don't have to walk past grandma begging for money everyday, I'm good!
Merovigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 11:44 AM   #212 (permalink)
asks for the canter

Ninja of love

My Mood:
SL Join Date: July 3, 2008
Business: Wandering about in a daze. Tabbing out.
Client: Viewer 2

Special Achievement in LOLZ 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucifer Baphomet View Post
Gotta disagree with you Mero.

Massive increases of mentally ill homeless people are a direct result of "care in the community" programs.

Closures of long term hospitals on both sides of the atlantic have led to huge numbers of mentally ill people on the streets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovigan View Post
Show me some numbers. From what I saw posted, it said that closing hospitals hadn't been an issue since the 1940's.

Beyond that, my main issue is with beggars, not homeless - they are not the same thing.
Quote:
From the Electronic Journal of Sociology: Ronald Reagan and the Commitment of the Mentally Ill: Capital, Interest Groups, and the Eclipse of Social Policy

During the early 1960s a series of initiatives designed to reform the mental health system were passed. At issue was the system of state run hospitals for the mentally ill, which were increasingly perceived as inhumane and, with the help of new medications, rather unnecessary for large portions of the patient population. In 1961, the Joint Commission on Mental Illness released Action for Mental Health, calling for the integration of the mentally ill into the general public with the aid of Community Mental Health Centers. In 1963, the Mental Retardation Facilities and Community Mental Health Centers instituted the centers, but due to the financial drain of the Vietnam War during the 1960s and the financial crisis of the 1970s, the program was not fully funded.1 The result was the release of patients into an environment lacking the Community Mental Health Centers to adequately treat them (Becker and Schulberg, 1976; DeLeonardis and Mauri, 1992; Hollingsworth, 1994; Rachlin, 1974; Rachlin et al, 1975; Saathoff et al, 1992; Shwed, 1978, 1980; Talbott, 1992; Worley and Lowery, 1988.
Cuts in funding for mental health services continued throughout the 1980s, with the emphasis being on the provision of services via the private sector. Overall, the number of beds available to the mentally ill in public and private hospitals dropped over forty percent between 1970 and 1984 (Reamer, 1989). Most of this decline was due to cuts in public hospitals. During the 1980s, the number of beds provided by general hospitals in psychiatric wards and in private hospitals for the mentally ill increased. In 1970, there were 150 private psychiatric centers; in 1980, there were 184; by 1988, there were 450 in the United States. General hospitals offering psychiatric services increased from 1,259 in 1984 to over two thousand in 1988 (Reamer, 1989, 25; LaFond and Durham, 1992, 115-16). With such growth in the private sector, there were substantial profits to be made in mental illness, assuming that the patient had adequate health insurance. Those without medical insurance frequently did not receive adequate care.
Arilynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 11:49 AM   #213 (permalink)
something here

Quote:
As the debate goes on, Obama will get a question on some thing in Iraq. He'll talk for about 4 minutes and spout all kinds of statisitcs and numbers and figures and come off like he spent all last week mastering the numbers of war.

And then he'll sound like a guy that fires from the hip, does what he needs to do first, and what he wants to do second and so on.
This prediction requires that Obama be so blindly stupid it's not funny. I don't think it takes a genius to figure out what people are probably most worried about after this week.
Fade Languish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 12:14 PM   #214 (permalink)
SLERPee

suffers from a rockin' pneumonia

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 07/15/2005
Business: Trudeau Classic Sailing Yachts
Quote:
You heard it here first: Serenity's prediction:

McCain will show. IT will be at the last possible minute that he arrives but he'll be on stage.

I expect there'll be a few jabs about how much he 'would have liked to stay on the campiagn trail' but that it's always been 'country first'. Or maybe even a "as much as I want to be president, I'm not going to sacrifice my duty to the People as a Senator just to make some campaign stops."

Assuming of course that some kind of bill is passed with his name on it within the next 24 hours.

Oh, and it's not like the news outlets aren't going to be talking about WHERE McCain is if he's not at the debates. He'll get a message out one way or another.

Serenity
Good luck with that scenario. The "savior" McCain was revealed as clueless at best and siding with far right obstructionists at worst.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:30 PM   #215 (permalink)
Logged Out

SL Join Date: Oct 07
Send a message via Yahoo to Serenity
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueline trudeau View Post
Good luck with that scenario. The "savior" McCain was revealed as clueless at best and siding with far right obstructionists at worst.
*shrug*

It all comes down to who shows up really.

As for "obstructionists", from what I've read of the Rep plan it's got it's merits but it's not as 'fast' as the one currently floating. For good or ill, they're all panicked (I think) to the point where they're afraid to consider something else for fear it'll take too long and it will all melt in the mean time.

Who knows?

It's way too early to predict how this will all playout and anyone that says anything with certainty about how it will look on Monday is either arrogant to the extreme or equally naive.

Serenity
Old 09-26-2008, 12:34 PM   #216 (permalink)
SLERPee

suffers from a rockin' pneumonia

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 07/15/2005
Business: Trudeau Classic Sailing Yachts
Quote:
*shrug*

It's way too early to predict how this will all playout and anyone that says anything with certainty about how it will look on Monday is either arrogant to the extreme or equally naive.

Serenity
Just saying the chances of your thought of Sherrif McCain riding into tonight's debate after cleaning up the OK Corral is somewhere between slim and none.
jacqueline trudeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 02:06 PM   #217 (permalink)
Suffers Fools Badly

Nap Time

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovigan View Post
This is an interesting angle on it. I have to deal with beggars every day and, maybe it's just me, but after about 3 months of it I have zero empathy, patience or kindness for them.

Either do something useful in society or please die. K, thanks!
If you're not giving them money, why to they make you angry?
Surreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 02:10 PM   #218 (permalink)
distracted

hey a penny!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 6/17/05
Business: Broken Kitty
Send a message via Yahoo to Joy Honey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreal Farber View Post
If you're not giving them money, why to they make you angry?
because then one has to face there is no Utopia?

"Mom, why is your eye twitching?"
-my 7 yr old son
Joy Honey is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed: