Brock Turner loses appeal to overturn sexual assault conviction - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » Brock Turner loses appeal to overturn sexual assault conviction

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2018, 09:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Mood:
Brock Turner loses appeal to overturn sexual assault conviction

https://abc7news.com/brock-turner-lo...ction/3910448/

Quote:
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- Former Stanford swimmer Brock Turner has lost an appeal to overturn his 2016 conviction for sexual assault.

Turner was convicted for the January 2015 assault on victim "Emily Doe" after she left a fraternity party on the Stanford campus.

While sentenced to six months and three years of probation, Turner was released from county jail after three months and returned to his home in Ohio, where was required to register as a sex offender.
TrollCampFollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Now he'll definitely never be able to eat a nice ribeye steak again. Cruel world.
Dakota Tebaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 08-08-2018, 09:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

I feel pretty. Oh, so pretty.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008

Awards: 2
Searching Brock Turner memes: Not fun. Not fun at all.
2 Users Agreed:
Old 08-08-2018, 10:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Xue View Post
Searching Brock Turner memes: Not fun. Not fun at all.
Yeah, none of the ones I saw were funny in a "haha" kind of way.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Aw, poor Brock Turner the rapist.

You do have to wonder how it will work when he eventually goes for an interview somewhere though. Even if he somehow gets his record wiped employers nowadays google prospective employees.

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 02:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
Looks like he'll have to ask #45 for a pardon and hope for the best.

I could not make sense of his counsel's arguments, and from the press reports I've read it seems as if the court had similar difficulties following it.

Generally, appellate courts order retrials either because there was something so badly wrong with the first trial that there's a realistic possibility the jury might have reached a different conclusion had whatever it was not happened (the judge misdirected the jury as to the relevant law, maybe) or because significant new evidence has come to light and the appeals court think it might, had it been available at the time, have affected the jury's decision.

As far as I could tell, though, the main arguments advanced here amounted to "my client should have a retrial because the jury shouldn't have convicted him," which isn't terribly persuasive.
Innula Zenovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 02:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

I feel pretty. Oh, so pretty.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008

Awards: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innula Zenovka View Post
Trump is not yet president of the Internet, where pardons just lead to more references linked to your crimes.
Free Xue is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 08-09-2018, 02:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Nan

"I feel like SL but BETTER"

My Mood:
I followed this story in local papers, there seems to be changes in what still shows posted , will see if my history shows the stuff that is gone now... very interesting....

Last edited by Nan; 08-09-2018 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Sources changed ,edited
Nan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 03:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
I could not make sense of his counsel's arguments, and from the press reports I've read it seems as if the court had similar difficulties following it.
"Look, we know he's guilty as hell, but his rich mom and dad are paying us a lot of money to give this the old college try, so here it goes:..." -Brock's attorneys' thoughts, probably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Spengler View Post

You do have to wonder how it will work when he eventually goes for an interview somewhere though. Even if he somehow gets his record wiped employers nowadays google prospective employees.
He'll change is name, grow a beard and eventually find an employer who screws up the background check and doesn't find out what his name used to be.

Last edited by TrollCampFollower; 08-10-2018 at 03:35 PM. Reason: merged a post
1 User Agreed:
Old 08-09-2018, 03:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Not a Supervillian

Quo.

My Mood:
Quote:
Poor Brock was convicted in state court. Presidential pardons only work in Federal cases. He would have to ask Gov. Brown for a pardon.

Et cum patronus tuus uerbo oportet causidicum, vos postulo causidicum.
Veritable Quandry is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Likes This:
Old 08-09-2018, 03:42 PM   #11 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Awards: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Spengler View Post

That's the weird (I almost said funny) thing about the whole business. The judge expressly stated he was giving Turner a slap on the hand because he didn't want to "ruin his life", and Turner's own father also wrote this long emotional plea for leniency because it would be unfair to punish his son forever for....I believe the words he used were "a few minutes of action". And yet in part owing to their actions, Brock Turner is now the most infamous sexual predator of his particular type in the nation - like bar-none. If he'd just been given a couple years in the clink and nobody had made any preposterous statements about his poor life being ruined, even if he got out early he would still of course be a sex offender and known to some, but he wouldn't be anywhere near as notorious.
Dakota Tebaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 08-09-2018, 04:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tired

Watery

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 4/28/2005
An excellent example of narcissists hanging themselves with their own entitlement.
Brenda Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Tebaldi View Post
That's the weird (I almost said funny) thing about the whole business. The judge expressly stated he was giving Turner a slap on the hand because he didn't want to "ruin his life", and Turner's own father also wrote this long emotional plea for leniency because it would be unfair to punish his son forever for....I believe the words he used were "a few minutes of action". And yet in part owing to their actions, Brock Turner is now the most infamous sexual predator of his particular type in the nation - like bar-none. If he'd just been given a couple years in the clink and nobody had made any preposterous statements about his poor life being ruined, even if he got out early he would still of course be a sex offender and known to some, but he wouldn't be anywhere near as notorious.
Yes, if he moved to the other side of the country a couple decades after release and kept his head down there is a chance he could slip by undetected in some menial job. Now? Even if a potential does not recognise the name they will have plenty of hits on it as soon as they start typing his name into google thanks to predictive text.
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed: