California is Burning - Page 3 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » California is Burning

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2018, 02:07 AM   #51 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/20/2008
Client: LL Viewer V3

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
The Carr Fire near Redding is continuing to grow, up to 172,055 acres (268 sq. miles), while containment remains at 47 percent. Evacuation orders in some areas have been lifted. The fire has destroyed 1,599 buildings and killed seven people, making it the sixth most destructive fires in California history, and one of the deadliest.
More evacuations lifted as Carr Fire continues to grow | Redding Record Searchlight

The Mendocino Complex Fires continues to dominate the news as California's largest wildfire in state history. The fires have charred 292,692 acres (457 sq. miles), or about the area of the City of Los Angeles. The River Fire, at 48,920 acres, is 78 percent contained, while the Ranch Fire, at 243,772 acres, is only 20 percent contained, for a cumulative containment of 34 percent. The Ranch Fire has burned through the southern portion of the Mendocino National Forest and is entering the Sacramento Valley.
Crews make progress against wildfires burning in Mendocino County | KCRA

The Ferguson Fire in the Yosemite Park area has grown to 94,992 acres, and is up to 43 percent contained. Highways 120 and 140 have reopened, but Highway 140 access to the Park, Highway 41/Wawona Road, and the Yosemite Valley remain closed.
Ferguson Fire grows more than 1,600 acres within 12 hours | Fresno Bee

The Five Fire near Kettleman City in Kings County has been fully contained. It has burned over 3,000 acres. Highway 41 has reopened, and lane restrictions along Interstate 5 have lifted.
Large grass fire burns 3,000 acres near Kettleman City, Highway 41 reopens | ABC30

The Holy Fire continues to burn in eastern Orange County in the Holy Jim Canyon area of the Cleveland National Forest. It has burned 3,399 acres and is only 5 percent contained. It has destroyed one cabin, and is creeping toward the city of Corona in Riverside County. The number of firefighters available to fight this blaze has been limited by the Mendocino Complex Fires, but more firefighters have been ordered.
Stubborn Holy Fire Posing Major Challenges | CBS Los Angeles

Katheryne Helendale is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Users Said Thanks :
Old 08-08-2018, 08:13 AM   #52 (permalink)

Along with Athena, move also your hand

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Yesterday
Tzu-ch'i said, "Blowing on the ten thousand things in a different way, so that each can be itself - all take what they want for themselves, but who does the sounding?"
Twisted Pharaoh is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 08-08-2018, 01:41 PM   #53 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 11/16/2009
Client: Firestorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Eel View Post
Bad news for Yosemite, because this is one of the busiest tourist times of the year.

In addition to the huge fucking fires all over the state, a bunch of smaller grass fires are popping up all over.

It's gonna be fun for a while.

Zoidyn, if you see a Firey wandering around on Saturday, say Hi.
Sredni, I'll be working in the WorldCon Dealer's Room most of the time. Will definitely keep an eye out for you there!
Zoidyn Kytori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 12:16 AM   #54 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:

The Carr Fire in the Redding area is up to 176,069 acres (275 sq. miles), and containment has remained at 47 percent.
City maps show panoramic views of Carr Fire's devastation | Redding Record Searchlight

The largest fire in California history, the Mendocino Complex Fire, is at 302,086 acres. Cumulative containment is up to 47 percent. The River Fire is at 48,920 acres and 81 percent containment, while the larger Ranch Fire is at 253,166 acres and 46 percent containment. 119 homes and 110 other structures have burned since the fires started midday July 27th.
Firefighters make progress against Mendocino County wildfires | KCRA

Firefighters tackling the Ferguson Fire in the Yosemite Park area have made big strides today. At 94,992 acres, the fire is 68 percent contained - a big jump from the 43 percent containment last night.
Firefighters made big strides containing Ferguson Fire in the past 24 hours | Fresno Bee

The Holy Fire in the Cleveland National Forest has burned 6,200 acres, prompting evacuation of several small communities in western Riverside County. The fire is only five percent contained, and has destroyed 12 buildings. 51 year old Forrest Clark was arrested on suspicion of two counts of felony arson, one count of felony threat of terrorism, and one count of misdemeanor resisting arrest, and is held on a $1 million bond, in connection with the fire.
Holy fire burns closer to Riverside County homes amid day of record heat | LA Times

Last edited by Katheryne Helendale; 08-09-2018 at 02:01 AM. Reason: Added containment for Holy Fire
2 Users Hugged You:
Old 08-09-2018, 11:47 PM   #55 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:

The Carr Fire near Redding has claimed an eighth victim, a heavy equipment operator for Cal Fire, who died in a traffic accident on Highway 99 in Tehama County. He was on his way to help with firefighting efforts. The Fire is now up to 178,752 acres with 49 percent containment.
Firefighter assigned to Carr Fire in Shasta County killed in traffic accident | ABC7

The Mendocino Complex Fires are now two weeks old, and have collectively burned 304,402 acres. The Ranch Fire is at 255,482 acres and 48 percent containment, while the River Fire has held at 48,920 acres and increased to 84 percent containment.
Mendocino Complex fires now at 304,402 acres | Press Democrat

Firefighters continue to make huge progress on the Ferguson Fire, with containment jumping from 68 percent last night to 80 percent tonight. The fire size increased only 112 acres, up to 95,104 acres. Firefighters are setting backfires in an attempt to corral the fire at its northeast section, the portion not yet contained. Ferguson Fire Unified Command expects full containment by August 15th.
Ferguson Fire 80 percent contained, though challenges remain | Fresno Bee

The Holy Fire is still largely out of control as it burned 10,236 acres of the Cleveland National Forest and headed straight for the Riverside County community of Lake Elsinore. A new round of evacuations have been ordered. The fire is only five percent contained. Meanwhile, the man charged with setting the fire, 51-year-old Forrest Clark, has refused to go to court today, delaying his arraignment. He faces life in prison if convicted.
'It feels like a war zone': Lake Elsinore residents fight to save homes as Holy fire rages | LA Times
Man charged in Holy Fire refuses to go to court | BakersfieldNow
4 Users Said Thanks :
Old 08-10-2018, 03:22 AM   #56 (permalink)
But it refused. <3

*SLU Supporter*

I'm a regular Victor Victoria

JJ McNabb is a journalist covering domestic terrorism.

Twitter
Old 08-10-2018, 12:16 PM   #57 (permalink)
bunneh

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 2006
Client: Firestorm and Project Bento
"Separated lovers cheat absence by a thousand fancies which have their own reality. They are prevented from seeing one another and they cannot write; nevertheless they find countless mysterious ways of corresponding, by sending each other the song of birds, the scent of flowers, the laughter of children, the light of the sun, the sighing of the wind, and the gleam of the stars - all the beauties of creation." -- Victor Hugo
Porsupah Ree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 01:15 PM   #58 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamilah Hauptmann View Post
JJ McNabb is a journalist covering domestic terrorism.

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/1027783814045560832
Twitter

HOLY CRAP THAT'S A COMPLETE AND TOTAL SURPRISE lol no it's not.
Dakota Tebaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 08-10-2018, 01:29 PM   #59 (permalink)
But it refused. <3

*SLU Supporter*

lol, I hadn't even heard of a couple of those.
Kamilah Hauptmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 01:54 PM   #60 (permalink)
Tainted Tigar

I'm sawrry, but I dun' prey taht wai!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: July 5, 2006
Client: Dun' compromise mai privacies!

What about contrails? I always liked those.

Given that tickling yourself does not work the same as someone else tickling you, we really lucked out with masturbation.

Last edited by Dickie Swansong; 08-10-2018 at 02:04 PM.
Dickie Swansong is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 08-10-2018, 02:02 PM   #61 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamilah Hauptmann View Post
lol, I hadn't even heard of a couple of those.
NESARA especially is pretty old school, it's one of the first internet-conspiracies I ever heard about like literally back when I was a kid.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 08-10-2018, 02:28 PM   #62 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickie Swansong View Post
What about contrails? I always liked those.

Oh, God, I used to get into so many arguments with some people about so-called "chemtrails". I eventually got tired of pounding my head against walls. You just can't fix stupid sometimes.
1 User Laughed:
1 User Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 08-10-2018, 03:38 PM   #63 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:

Smoke from the California wildfires is spreading 3,000 miles to New York City | CNN
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 08-10-2018, 06:28 PM   #64 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katheryne Helendale View Post
Oh, God, I used to get into so many arguments with some people about so-called "chemtrails". I eventually got tired of pounding my head against walls. You just can't fix stupid sometimes.
There was a fun episode a couple of years ago I think, where some frequent airline flyer took video out his window of the airliner he was flying in dumping fuel from its wing tanks prior to landing. Except he posted the video calling it proof of chemtrails. The video made the Youtube and podcast rounds; I think it even made Jones' show! But eventually dude came clean and said he knew full well it was the plane dumping fuel and just thought it would be funny to get the conspiracy set riled.

IIRC, the conspiraderps turned on him of course - but not for having hoaxed the "chemtrail evidence" story, rather for caving to pressure from New World Order agents to lie and call the evidence hoaxed.
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 08-11-2018, 12:39 AM   #65 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:

The Carr Fire near Redding is at 183,633 acres and is 53 percent contained. Evacuation orders for residents in the community of Lewiston have been lifted, and Highway 299 is reported open for residents only. The fire has burned 1,881 structures.
UPDATE: More evacuations lifted for Lewiston | Redding Record Searchlight
http://www.fire.ca.gov/current_incid...ils/Index/2164

The Mendocino Complex fires is still slowly growing, now at a collective total of 312,447 acres. The River Fire has stood still, staying at 48,920 acres, and is now 90 percent contained. The larger Ranch Fire, grew to 263,527 acres, and is 53 percent contained. The good news, though, is that the Ranch Fire is moving away from communities, and only 1,500 structures are still threatened, down from 9,000 this morning. Still, the fires destroyed 119 homes and 110 other structures since they began.
Firefighters gaining on Mendocino Complex fires, now at 312,000 acres | Press Democrat

The Ferguson Fire in the Yosemite Park area continues to experience slowed growth, growing to 95,544 acres. Containment has held at 80 percent. Highway 120 east and west and Highway 140 are open, and many parts of the park are reopening. Yosemite Valley is scheduled to reopen at 9am Tuesday. Highway 41/Wawona Road remains closed.
Yosemite Valley set to reopen after closure due to Ferguson Fire | Fresno Bee

The Holy Fire in the Cleveland National Forest in east Orange County and west Riverside County has exploded in size to 19,107 acres and is threatening homes in Lake Elsinore. Containment is at 10 percent. Thunderstorms are predicted for the area this weekend, making for a precarious situation for firefighters. Forrest Clark, the man accused of setting the fire, appeared briefly in court today, where he had several outbursts. Bail wa set at one million dollars and has been ordered back to court August 17th.
Holy fire containment rises to 10% as firefighters battle heat and steep terrain near Lake Elsinore | LA Times

A new fire, dubbed the Nelson Fire, sparked this afternoon near Fairfield in Solano County, between San Francisco and Sacramento, along Interstate 80. By this evening, it had grown to 1,000 acres with 10 percent containment. The fire forced evacuations in Fairfield and nearby Vacaville.
Fire prompts evacuation orders in Fairfield, Vacaville | Daily Republic
Old 08-11-2018, 10:38 AM   #66 (permalink)
DJ's for Aural Pleasure

Hold On To Yourself

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Sept. 2007
Business: Avatar Bizarre
Client: Crash-o-Matic 2.0
The fire danger is pretty bad.

I headed to Coyote Hills, which is basically a bunch of trails surrounded on all sides by salt marsh and the SF Bay, and it's looking parched in an iRobot kind of way right now. This is the same place that was seven feet under water a year ago. HUGE signs are posted that say, "HIGH FIRE DANGER NO SMOKING BARBECUES OR FIRES OF ANY KIND ALLOWED".

The air quality is better today, thanks for the sea breeze coming off the bay. But even if you look at a dry grass blade sideways, it's going to burst into flame. Lots and lots of grass fires got started over the last week, and were put out quickly.

I'm afraid fire season is going to see a lot more burning before August is finished.

Unfortunately, fire season goes till end of October, if we're lucky.
Sredni Eel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 06:18 PM   #67 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Eel View Post
Unfortunately, fire season goes till end of October, if we're lucky.
The way the last couple of years have gone, I'm thinking fire season may be year-round now.
2 Users Agreed:
Old 08-11-2018, 11:27 PM   #68 (permalink)

My Mood:
Late update, but on Thursday night the inland hill’s fires were visible from the beach! I have some pretty poor pics. But I don’t see a simple way to share them here. They aren’t that good, so please don’t push me to join an image sharing site

But seeing the inland mountain’s silhouette glowing from fires, complete with very scary looking fireballs flying about...made us both glad that we own a very well stocked sail boat.
Alisha Matova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 11:44 PM   #69 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

The internet is made of what?

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008

Awards: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisha Matova View Post
They aren’t that good, so please don’t push me to join an image sharing site
You can upload images to a thread here, but the process is a bit creeky. Select Go Advanced when posting your reply, scroll down to Additional Options, and look for (click) Manage Attachments.
Free Xue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:22 AM   #70 (permalink)

My Mood:
Ty. I’ll try harder.
Alisha Matova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:58 AM   #71 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:

The Carr Fire near Redding has grown a bit to 190,873 acres, but containment has also improved to 57 percent. Most of the populated areas affected by the fire are in recovery mode, as evacuation orders have been lifted for all but a few areas.
The Carr Fire keeps growing. So does containment | Redding Record Searchlight
http://www.fire.ca.gov/current_incid...ils/Index/2164

The Mendocino Complex fires have grown to 328,226 acres, while combined containment increased to 67 percent. Individually, the River Fire is halted at 48,920 acres and is 92 percent contained, while the Ranch Fire marches away from populated areas, growing to 279,306 acres with 58 percent containment. The total number of structures destroyed has been amended to 139 homes and 119 other structures.
Toll of homes lost in Mendocino Complex fires grows | Press Democrat

The Nelson Fire in Solano County between Fairfield and Vacaville has burned 2,162 acres and is now 95 percent contained. One structure is reported destroyed.
Nelson Fire in Solano County nearly contained after destroying one structure, Cal Fire said | Sacramento Bee

The Ferguson Fire in the Yosemite Park area has grown slightly to 95,952 acres, and is up to 82 percent containment. The fire is still active along parts of Wawona Road.
Ferguson Fire inches closer to full containment | Fresno Bee

The Holy Fire continues to burn in the Cleveland National Forest near Lake Elsinore in Riverside County. It has grown to 22,158 acres, with containment up to 36 percent. The fire has destroyed 12 structures in the forest. No homes have been damaged, though some backyards may be slightly scorched.
Firefighters gain upper hand on 22,000-acre Holy fire in Cleveland National Forest, as containment rises to 36% | LA Times

There's a fire of note burning in the high mountain areas of the Stanislaus National Forest north of Yosemite Park. The Donnell Fire started August 1st, and has burned 26,814 acres and is only 20 percent contained. The fire destroyed most of the Dardanelle Resort, for a total of 54 structures and 81 minor structures burned. Full containment is estimated by September 1st.
https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/6092/
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 08-12-2018, 01:15 AM   #72 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

The internet is made of what?

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008

Awards: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisha Matova View Post
I’ll try harder.
We don't grade here.
Free Xue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 12:39 AM   #73 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:

The Carr Fire in the Redding area has grown to become the eighth largest wildfire in state history, having burned 201,680 acres. It is 61 percent contained.
Carr Fire becomes 8th largest wildfire in California history | Redding Record Searchlight

The Mendocino Complex fires have collectively burned 336,399 acres and is over 67 percent contained. Individually, the Ranch Fire has grown to become, on its own, the largest fire in state history. It has grown to 287,479 acres, with containment at 62 percent. The River Fire has not grown in the last few days, still at 48,920 acres. Containment of the River Fire is at 93 percent.
Ranch Fire, one of Mendocino Complex fires, is now largest in state history, Cal Fire says | Modesto Bee

The Nelson Fire between Fairfield and Vacaville is out according to Cal Fire, after having burned 2,162 acres and one structure.

The Ferguson Fire in the Yosemite Park area is halted at 95,947 acres, which is a few acres lower than what was reported yesterday. Containment is at 83 percent.
Full containment on Ferguson Fire looms near, but Yosemite area businesses still feeling the burn | Fresno Bee

The Holy Fire in the Cleveland National Forest near Lake Elsinore in Riverside County has grown slightly to 22,714 acres, and is 52 percent contained. The fire has destroyed 14 structures. Full containment is expected Friday.
22,714-Acre Holy Fire Now 52 Percent Contained | Times of San Diego
3 Users Said Thanks :
Old 08-13-2018, 12:49 AM   #74 (permalink)
But it refused. <3

*SLU Supporter*

Important announcement:

Twitter
Kamilah Hauptmann is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
2 Users Like This:
Old 08-14-2018, 12:32 AM   #75 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:

Firefighters continue to make slow headway on the Carr Fire near Redding, bringing it to 63 percent containment after it has burned 206,816 acres. 528 structures are still threatened, but evacuation areas are down to two areas between Shasta and Trinity Counties.
Carr Fire Latest: Monday, August 13 - 63% Contained, 206,816 Acres Burned | KRCR

The Mendocino Complex fires have claimed the life of a firefighter battling the blaze, marking the first death caused by the fire. The fires have burned 349,890 acres. The Ranch Fire is 59 percent contained, while the River Fire is reported as fully contained.
Firefighter dies in Mendocino Complex Fire | Sacramento Bee

The Ferguson Fire in the Yosemite Park area has burned 96,457 acres and is 86 percent contained. Visitors are trickling back into the park via Highways 120 and 140, and the Yosemite Valley is scheduled to reopen 9am Tuesday. Access via Highway 41/Wawona Road remains closed. Firefighters expect to have full containment of the fire Wednesday.
Yosemite’s Mariposa Grove opens to visitors, as Ferguson Fire threat wanes | Fresno Bee

The Holy Fire that started in the Trabuco Canyon area has burned 22,986 acres of Orange County and Riverside County land, slowing significantly. It is now 59 percent contained, with full containment expected August 21st. Most evacuation areas still remain in effect.
Holy fire: Frustration over evacuations, closure of Highway 74 grows as fire containment expands | Orange County Register
4 Users Said Thanks :