California is Burning - Page 2 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » California is Burning

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2018, 06:34 PM   #26 (permalink)
DJ's for Aural Pleasure

Hold On To Yourself

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Sept. 2007
Business: Avatar Bizarre
Client: Crash-o-Matic 2.0
Here's a great explanation of the fire tornado.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/firenad...s-fire-vortex/

What's spooky about this phenomenon is the fact that these things can be HUGE, and can actually give the fire a boost to fling itself across rivers and roads.

The saving grace of fire making its own weather is Pyrocumulus clouds eventually form and create humidity or rain. But I won't bank on that for a while.
Sredni Eel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:54 PM   #27 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/20/2008
Client: LL Viewer V3

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
The Carr Fire is up to 98,724 acres, but containment has improved to 20 percent. Some Redding area residents have been allowed to return to their homes. However, three more lives were lost to the fire, bringing the death toll to 6. More than 800 buildings have burned.

The status of the Ferguson Fire has not changed much since last report. It is now at 56,659 acres and remains at 30 percent containment.

The Cranston Fire in the Idyllwild area is at 13,139 acres and is 57 percent contained. Evacuation orders are being lifted. The fire destroyed 12 buildings and damaged five others.

The Mendocino Complex fires have collectively burned 55,987 and each remains only five percent contained. 15,000 residents between Lake and Mendocino Counties have been evacuated. Six homes have been destroyed.

Last edited by Katheryne Helendale; 07-30-2018 at 11:07 PM.
Katheryne Helendale is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 07-31-2018, 11:07 AM   #28 (permalink)
Lost Bird

SL Join Date: April 2004
No one ever mentions the wildfires burning in Oregon, Washington, Nevada, Utah, Idaho, Colorado, New Mexico and Arizona.

https://projects.oregonlive.com/wild...4.190/-120.700

Nine states are on fire but California is the only one people talk about.

And not one peep out of the so called Tr... Tr... Tr... Dumpster administration.
Believe or you will not see.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 11:58 AM   #29 (permalink)
Senior Discount

Jesus is coming. Look busy!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: August 21, 2007
Client: Anything But 2
Even fewer mention that, once again, Canada's having a doozy of a fire season.

Interactive map | Canadian Wildland Fire Information System | Natural Resources Canada

(Curiously, this map of Canadian fires tracks fires in Oregon and Washington. I can only deduce that this is a loose-lips-in-the-IT-department situation, and the long awaited invasion is now imminent. Huzzah!)

U.S. Only
Casey Pelous is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Likes This:
Old 07-31-2018, 01:04 PM   #30 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Pelous View Post
Even fewer mention that, once again, Canada's having a doozy of a fire season.

Interactive map | Canadian Wildland Fire Information System | Natural Resources Canada

(Curiously, this map of Canadian fires tracks fires in Oregon and Washington. I can only deduce that this is a loose-lips-in-the-IT-department situation, and the long awaited invasion is now imminent. Huzzah!)
Speaking of canadian wildfires and geekery ...

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 07-31-2018, 03:47 PM   #31 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfEyes View Post
No one ever mentions the wildfires burning in Oregon, Washington, Nevada, Utah, Idaho, Colorado, New Mexico and Arizona.

And not one peep out of the so called Tr... Tr... Tr... Dumpster administration.
Yeah, pretty much the entire Western US and Canada are on fire. However, outside of California, I can't tell if any of the fires are in populated areas.

And, yeah, not a word or anything from The Orange One.
2 Users Agreed:
Old 07-31-2018, 04:01 PM   #32 (permalink)
DJ's for Aural Pleasure

Hold On To Yourself

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfEyes View Post

https://www.businessinsider.com/cali...ergency-2018-7

To be fair, he probably only did that because Redding is largely republican.
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 08-01-2018, 12:41 AM   #33 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:

The Carr Fire near Redding is still increasing in size, now at 112,888 (172 sq. miles). It is now the seventh most destructive fire in California history, with no sign of slowing down. It has destroyed more than 1,200 buildings (965 houses - source: KRCR), with thousands still threatened. It is still only 30 percent contained.
The Carr Fire, the 7th Most Destructive in California History, Rages On | NYTimes

The Mendocino Complex Fires (Ranch Fire and River Fire) have collectively grown to 80,408 acres, but home destruction has been kept at seven. 12,000 structures are still threatened. The complex is 12 percent contained, and Cal Fire expects full containment by Monday.
Mendocino Complex now 12 percent contained as California wildfires rage | SFChronicle

A new fire, the Eel Fire, has started north of the Ranch Fire and has burned 865 acres.

The Ferguson Fire is at 58,074 acres, and 33 percent containment. Highways 41 and 140 leading into Yosemite Park are closed. Yosemite Valley and many parts of the park remain closed as well due to smoke and firefighting efforts. Additionally, smoke continues to foul the air quality for large portions of the San Joaquin Valley.
Yosemite National Park closures extended due to Ferguson fire | Fresno Bee
Smoke from Ferguson fire causing air quality to reach danger level | Fresno Bee

The Cranston Fire near Idyllwild is now at 89 percent containment after burning 13,139 acres.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:37 AM   #34 (permalink)

competently inane

My Mood:
Business: Tam's Trousseau
Client: Firestorm
Quote:
California has experienced six of its most destructive wildfires in just 10 months. The fires have charred more than 10,000 structures and claimed dozens of lives.
Four of the top 10 worst fires have happened since Dec 2017!!! Winter in Chicago doesn't look so bad now (I had to evacuate from the foothills above Chico, CA a number of years ago due to a fire)

https://weather.com/news/news/2018-0...ires-carr-fire
Tamarsk is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 08-01-2018, 08:26 PM   #35 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:

Ferguson Fire: Breaking: Fire officials issue mandatory evacuation order for Wawona community inside Yosemite National Park | abc30.com
1 User Groaned:
3 Users Said Thanks :
Old 08-02-2018, 02:10 AM   #36 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:

The Carr Fire in the Redding area has now burned 121,049 acres, consuming more than 1500 structures along the way - a figure that's expected to rise. Containment has increased to 35 percent. The Carr Fire is now the sixth most destructive fire in California history. A local health emergency has been declared as choking ash and smoke fill the air in the Shasta County area.
Number of structures lost to the Carr Fire expected to rise | Redding Record Searchlight

The Mendocino Complex fires have burned over 98,000 acres and destroyed 10 homes and three outbuildings. Approximately 12,000 people have been evacuated. The River Fire is 38 percent contained, while the Ranch Fire is only 15 percent contained. A new fire, the Western Fire, sparked just south of the Complex, growing to 50 acres with zero containment.
Firefighters struggle to gain ground on Mendocino Complex fires | Press Democrat

The Eel Fire north of the Mendocino Complex near the town of Covelo is at 1000 acres and five percent containment.

The Ferguson Fire in the Yosemite area is up to 63,798 acres and is 39 percent contained. Evacuated residents in the El Portal area have been allowed to return to their homes as Wawona residents in the southern end of the park were evacuated earlier today.
Wawona under mandatory evacuation as Ferguson Fire roars toward fourth week | Fresno Bee
3 Users Said Thanks :
Old 08-03-2018, 12:43 AM   #37 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:

The Carr Fire has gained international attention, as firefighters from Australia and New Zealand have arrived to help exhausted firefighters get the upper hand on the blaze which has charred 126,913 acres and is still only 37 percent contained. The fire has destroyed 1553 buildings, which includes 1,060 homes. 258 other structures were damaged.
UPDATE: Firefighters from Australia, NZ join fight; Carr Fire now 126,913 acres | Redding Record Searchlight

The Mendocino Complex fires are quickly catching up to the Carr Fire in total acreage burned, having charred 125,168 acres. However, firefighters are gaining the upper hand on the fires, with the Ranch Fire and River Fire at 33 percent and 50 percent containment, respectively. Residents of the Long Valley, High Valley and Spring Valley areas have been ordered to evacuate as the Ranch Fire spreads southward.
Red-flag warning worries firefighters battling Mendocino Complex fires | Press Democrat

The Western Fire, which recently sparked just south of the River Fire, has been fully contained at 106 acres.

The Eel Fire north of the Mendocino Complex has transitioned out of Cal Fire jurisdiction, and is reportedly at 1000 acres and 25 percent containment.
https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/6083/

The Ferguson Fire has spread to 69,440 acres and is 41 percent contained. Nine buildings believed to have been abandoned have burned. Heavy smoke continues to plague the entire area, with a stretch of Highway 120 joining Highways 140 and 41 on the closure list. The Yosemite Valley floor will continue to be closed until at least Sunday.
Ferguson Fire enters Yosemite National Park | Mercury News
Ferguson Fire destroys nine ‘abandoned structures,’ grows to 68,610 acres | Fresno Bee

The Cranston Fire near Idyllwild in Southern California has been held at 13.139 acres and is reported at 96 percent containment.
https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/6032/

Last edited by Katheryne Helendale; 08-03-2018 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Update Mendocino Complex acreage
4 Users Said Thanks :
Old 08-04-2018, 12:50 AM   #38 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:

The Carr Fire near Redding continues to grow as firefighters make little headway in battling the flames. As of this evening, the fire is at 133,924 acres and only 39 percent containment. The fire has destroyed 1,583 structures, which includes 1,070 homes.
UPDATE: Carr Fire vigil: 'We all need to be strong for each other'; Fire now 133,924 acres | Redding Record Searchlight

The Mendocino Complex Fires have merged, becoming the Ranch Fire. It has surpassed the Carr Fire in total acreage burned, having burned 157,450 acres. It is only 30 percent contained. Structure destruction has also increased to 41 homes and 47 other structures.
Wildfires burning in Mendocino County merge into one | KCRA

The Ferguson Fire near Yosemite Park has jumped Highway 41, one of the fire's containment lines. The fire has burned 77,207 acres, partly into Yosemite Park, and is still only 41 percent contained. The fire has transitioned out of Cal Fire jurisdiction.
Ferguson Fire has jumped Highway 41, has been burning inside Yosemite, officials say | Fresno Bee
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 08-04-2018, 02:04 PM   #39 (permalink)
But it refused. <3

*SLU Supporter*

I'm a regular Victor Victoria

Twitter
Old 08-04-2018, 02:48 PM   #40 (permalink)
DJ's for Aural Pleasure

Hold On To Yourself

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katheryne Helendale View Post
A new fire, the Eel Fire, has started north of the Ranch Fire and has burned 865 acres.

I had nothing to do with this one.

Those matches aren't mine.

Also, my home is 400 miles to the south of Redding (roughly), and the sky here is Bronxie's least favorite color. I saw a spot of blue yesterday, but it was ringed in the most ghastly shade of brown you can imagine.

So far the asthma is under control. I'm not suffering the way I was last year. Yet.
Old 08-04-2018, 02:52 PM   #41 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:

Mendocino Complex Fire error correction: On Friday night, the California Interagency Incident Management Team 1 tweeted that the Ranch and River fires merged. However, Cal Fire said that is incorrect and the California Interagency Incident Management Team 1 later deleted the tweet and said it was "accidentally sent." The Mendocino Complex fires are still made up of the Ranch and River fires.
3 Users Said Thanks :
Old 08-05-2018, 12:51 AM   #42 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:

The Carr Fire in the Redding area is now up to 145,015 acres, with containment inching up to 41 percent. The Trump administration has declared a "major disaster" for Shasta County due to the Carr Fire. The fire has burned 1,073 homes, 14 commercial buildings and 492 outbuildings. A PG&E employee working to restore electrical service to the area died in a vehicle incident, bringing the fire's death toll to seven.
UPDATE: Carr Fire now burning 145,015 acres; Igo and French Gulch flareups controlled | Redding Record Searchlight
PG&E employee becomes seventh Carr Fire fatality | Redding Record Searchlight

The Mendocino Complex is now the largest fire incident currently in California, and the sixth largest fire in California history, now at 229,006 acres. Containment for the River Fire is 50 percent, and the larger Ranch Fire is at 22 percent, according to Cal Fire. The fires have burned 55 homes and 49 other structures. Evacuation orders have expanded into Colusa County.
Wildfires in Mendocino, Lake counties prompt more evacuations | KCRA

The Ferguson Fire in the Yosemite Park area has grown to 81,699 acres while containment fell to 35 percent, according to the US Forest Service. Meanwhile, a new fire, dubbed the Wagner Fire, sparked just northwest of the Ferguson Fire, near the town of Coulterville. That fire has burned 22 acres and is 25 percent contained, and forward spread of the fire has been stopped.
Ferguson Fire grows more than 3,000 acres. Warm and dry weather to blame | Fresno Bee
https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/5927/
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 08-06-2018, 02:03 AM   #43 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:

The Carr Fire in the Redding area continues to spread and is now up to 160,049 acres with 43 percent containment. 1,604 buildings have been destroyed, which includes 1,080 homes. The PG&E employee who died yesterday has been identified as an apprentice lineman.
Sunday update: PG&E employee killed in Carr Fire identified | Redding Record Searchlight

The Mendocino Complex fires are grabbing headlines statewide as it becomes the fourth largest fire incident in California history. It has exploded to a combined total of 266,983 acres. Containment of both fires has crept up, with 58 percent containment of the River Fire and 23 percent containment of the larger Ranch Fire. For the sake of reference, the largest fire in California history was last December's Thomas Fire, which charred 281,000 acres of Santa Barbara and Ventura Counties' landscape.
Mendocino Complex climbs to fourth largest wildfire on record in California; 68 homes lost | Los Angeles Times

The Ferguson Fire continues to cause problems for the Yosemite Park area, burning 89,633 acres as of midday Sunday, with containment remaining at 35 percent. The nearby Wagner Fire has been held at 22 acres and is now 75 percent contained. Yosemite Valley and many portions of the park are now closed indefinitely due to smoke and firefighting efforts.
Yosemite Valley, Wawona closed ‘indefinitely’ as Ferguson Fire approaches 90,000 acres | Fresno Bee
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 08-06-2018, 11:52 AM   #44 (permalink)
DJ's for Aural Pleasure

Hold On To Yourself

My Mood:
The sky is brown, and the sunlight filtering through the muck is apocalyptic orange.
1 User Hugged You:
1 User Agreed:
Old 08-06-2018, 07:17 PM   #45 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

The internet is made of what?

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008

Awards: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Eel View Post
The sky is brown, and the sunlight filtering through the muck is apocalyptic orange.
Sounds like California is transforming in Trump's complete vision for America. SORRY CALIFORNIA!
Free Xue is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 08-07-2018, 12:34 AM   #46 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:

The Carr Fire in the Redding area has grown a bit more, to 164,413, with containment up to 47 percent. Building destruction has been held to 1,604 structures.
Carr Fire 'obliterated' tiny community of Keswick | Redding Record Searchlight

The Mendocino Complex is all over the news, and for good reason. It is now the largest fire in California history, at 283,800 acres, and is showing no sign of slowing down. Collectively, it is only 30 percent contained - 58 percent for the River Fire, and 21 percent for the Ranch Fire. It has destroyed 143 buildings, and is threatening 11,300 more.
Mendocino Complex Fire now largest in California history | ABC News

The Ferguson Fire in the Yosemite Park area has now burned 91,502 acres, but has improved to 38 percent containment. Evacuation orders for El Portal and Wawona have both been lifted. Yosemite Valley and many parts of the park remain closed indefinitely. Smoke from the fire continues to cause problems for the Central Valley, with air quality in Fresno so bad that breathing it has been equated to smoking nearly a half pack of cigarettes a day.
Some Yosemite residents return home, as Ferguson Fire containment improves | Fresno Bee
Smoke from Ferguson Fire raises air pollution to dangerous levels | ABC30

There are two new quickly-spreading fires making news:

A fire dubbed the Five Fire is burning near Kettleman City in Kings County, along Interstate 5 near Highway 41. It is over 2,000 acres and is uncontained. The stretch of Highway 41 between I-5 and Highway 33 is closed, and traffic along I-5 is restricted due to firefighting efforts.
Large grass fire burns 2,000 acres near Kettleman City, closes Highway 41 | ABC30

A fire dubbed The Holy Fire is burning in eastern Orange County and Western Riverside County, in the Trabuco Canyon and Holy Jim Canyon areas. It has burned 4,000 acres and is currently uncontained.
Holy fire spreads to 4,000 acres in Orange, Riverside counties | Orange County Register
Old 08-07-2018, 12:37 AM   #47 (permalink)

My Mood:
I can smell the trabuco fire right now. No way it’ll cross from inland to the beach. Safe, but a good reality check.
Alisha Matova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 01:02 AM   #48 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 11/16/2009
Client: Firestorm
Thank you for all the updates and links, Katheryne. A large number of us are driving down from Washington and Oregon next week to attend WorldCon in San Jose. I've been watching several sites very closely, ready to revise my route if necessary. Your posts have been really helpful.

Coincidentally, the last WorldCon I attended was 2015 in Spokane, Washington. We had the largest wildfires in the history of the state that year. The air was so thick with smoke that the con organizers were strongly cautioning attendees (who came from all over the world) to stay indoors as much as possible. At one point, we could actually see the glow of fires just outside Spokane. It was scary, but also amazing how everyone came together offering support and aid.

My heartfelt sympathies to the folks affected by the California fires. I hope you stay safe and healthy.
Zoidyn Kytori is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 08-07-2018, 06:23 PM   #49 (permalink)
DJ's for Aural Pleasure

Hold On To Yourself

My Mood:
Bad news for Yosemite, because this is one of the busiest tourist times of the year.

In addition to the huge fucking fires all over the state, a bunch of smaller grass fires are popping up all over.

It's gonna be fun for a while.

Zoidyn, if you see a Firey wandering around on Saturday, say Hi.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:40 PM   #50 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Eel View Post
Bad news for Yosemite, because this is one of the busiest tourist times of the year.
Yeah, the businesses in Mariposa and other Yosemite gateway towns have really been suffering because of the Ferguson Fire. Between three of the highways into the park being closed, the closure of Yosemite Valley, and the choking smoke all over the place, the businesses that depend on Yosemite tourism have had an awful season.

One small bit of good news, though: Highway 120 East and West and Highway 140 have been reopened. Highway 41/Wawona Road and the Yosemite Valley remain closed.
1 User Said Thanks: