Toronto van attack - Page 2 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » Toronto van attack

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2018, 06:38 PM   #26 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolene Benoir View Post
Also, not a tweet of condolence from Trump, at all? WTF. You/They are one of our closest allies, ffs.
He did eventually, some time this afternoon. I'm not going to go look for and link the tweet but I saw it; something about "standing with you".

Since the suspect didn't turn out to be Muslim (or an immigrant?), the tweet refreshingly didn't include any political statement about "needing to be SMART!". Call me cynical, but I tend to think the reason Trump took so long to say anything is exactly because he was waiting for confirmation that the person was a Muslim/immigrant so he could add such a jab.
Dakota Tebaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
2 Users Agreed:
Old 04-25-2018, 06:50 AM   #27 (permalink)

I finally got it all together, but now I forget where I put it.

My Mood:
I'm FB friends with the son of a friend who has passed away. He is one of those people who is always whining about women who aren't interested in "a nice guy like me." Stories like this remind me of him. I hope he wouldn't ever do something this awful, but it wouldn't completely shock me if he did.

This kid (the one I know) used to be well over 500 lbs, and probably weighs around 300 right now. He's got a pretty good job. But, I also know that it would never occur to him to go out with a woman who has a few extra pounds on her.
Zaida Gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 07:21 AM   #28 (permalink)
state of non-being

The maple kind?

My Mood:
Client: Firestorm
This whole MRA/Incel, etc scene is very disturbing. This Twitter thread gives just a brief glimpse into what seems to be a real horror show.

https://twitter.com/ArshyMann/status/988818797086871558
Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 04-25-2018, 09:15 AM   #29 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

What time is it?

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambiguous View Post
This whole MRA/Incel, etc scene is very disturbing. This Twitter thread gives just a brief glimpse into what seems to be a real horror show.

A good write-up (referenced in those tweets) by Vox shortly after the election discussing the interplay between MRA groups, PUA, Incels, 4chan, Reddit, Gamergate, the alt-right, white supremacy, misogyny, Elliot Rodger, support for Trump and/or authoritarian white, male led society and so on.

How the alt-right’s sexism lures men into white supremacy
https://www.vox.com/culture/2016/12/...sm-recruitment
Jolene Benoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:39 PM   #30 (permalink)
But it refused. <3

*SLU Supporter*

I'm a regular Victor Victoria

Kid gets 10 counts of first degree and 13 attempted.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:35 PM   #31 (permalink)

whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambiguous View Post

Twitter

Quote:
Mr. Minassian attended Seneca College where he was known as an expert in computer chips before completing his course in the past month. He focused on graphics processing units, which have re-emerged in prominence in recent years as a cornerstone of artificial-intelligence technology.

Classmates described a seven-year journey to complete his course that included many wild academic swings – he left the program for at least a year at one point, but also had high marks at times – along with emotional ups and downs.

Friends, classmates and a former teacher said he had a form of autism along with social anxiety and mental-health issues.

His own mother described her son as having Asperger syndrome – but that terminology is no longer used in medicine. Rather, people who were said to have Asperger are now diagnosed with autism-spectrum disorder and deemed high-functioning.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...e-cites-incel/

Quote:
Robin Holloway, a psychologist who specializes in treating youth with autism-spectrum disorder, said having autism or other social or mental disorders is not a cause of violence. But, he said, there are rare cases he has labelled “uninhibited/aggressive” types who “over the years have built up a list of grievances based on being scorned, rejected, bullied, including sexually” and are prepared to act.
Quote:
Dr. Holloway stressed he has only seen a handful of violent uninhibited-aggressive cases of mild autism in his 30 years of practice, and that they can be treated with proper intervention, time and sufficient resources.

Last edited by Lexxi Gynoid; 04-25-2018 at 02:09 PM.
Lexxi Gynoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 01:59 PM   #32 (permalink)

whatever

Twitter

Twitter

Twitter

plus

Twitter

Twitter

Last edited by Lexxi Gynoid; 04-25-2018 at 02:54 PM.
Lexxi Gynoid is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 04-25-2018, 08:23 PM   #33 (permalink)
I wish I was drunk

How many nice guys does it take to change a lightbulb?

None, they just compliment it and get mad when it won't screw.
Tetsuryu Vlodovic is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Groaned:
Old 04-26-2018, 06:23 PM   #34 (permalink)

I have no status

Business: No Escape
Client: Official, Various RCs, Marines,Firestorm - for testing stuff. BlackDragon - For everything else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Tebaldi View Post
LOL at the BBC asking no less than three American law professors to analyze and criticize the behavior of a police officer in another country whose use-of-force and training policies they are not experts on, based on cell phone video taken from a distance.

Maybe not even based on the video. The second guy they interviewed suggested the officer "froze" when even in the video you can clearly see that's not the case.
Exactly this.

There is a distinct difference between how Canadian cops are trained around use of deadly force and how US cops are trained. I remember a discussion between two of my friends one of whom was a cop in northern MN and the other a cop in a small community just north of the border. We were camping and fishing on Lake of the Woods and we had the radio on waiting for the weather forecast when the newscast started talking about one of those "cops shoot unarmed suspect" events in the USA - They started talking about the differences in how they are trained to respond. The number of times the Canadian cop said something similar to "Man, if I reacted like that they'd not only have my badge they'd throw me in jail!"
Da5id Weatherwax is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Agreed:
Old 04-27-2018, 02:22 AM   #35 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 7/22/2006
Business: Organica

Send a message via Skype™ to Aki Shichiroji
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da5id Weatherwax View Post
Exactly this.

There is a distinct difference between how Canadian cops are trained around use of deadly force and how US cops are trained.
I want to say yes and no.

To some extent, it's true, our cops here are less militant and gun-happy. And I applaud Kevin Lam's actions taking Minassian in... I just don't think Canadian cops can afford to pat themselves on the back and say they have no room for growth though.

Racial bias is still huge here. Carding, regular traffic stops for trivial reasons, shootings, failing to investigate legitimate crime because of the colour of the victims' skin, etc.

We're no strangers to excessive force when it comes to acute confrontations either. Look Sammy Yatim up some time.
Aki Shichiroji is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 04-27-2018, 08:37 AM   #36 (permalink)

Scanned

If anyone doubts how serious this problem is, just take a look at what some think is fine for mainstream talking points.

Dilbert dickhead justifies these atrocities as being a normal boy in his poisonous writings.

Quote:
While Iím being politically incorrect, let me describe to you the mind of a teenage boy. Our frontal lobes arenít complete. We donít imagine the future. Our bodies want sex more than we want to stay alive. Literally. Lonely boys tend to be suicidal when the odds of future female companionship are low.
So if you are wondering how men become cold-blooded killers, it isnít religion that is doing it. If you put me in that situation, I can say with confidence I would sign up for suicide bomb duty. And Iím not even a believer. Men like hugging better than they like killing. But if you take away my access to hugging, I will probably start killing, just to feel something. Iím designed that way. Iím a normal boy. And I make no apology for it.
Your WTFs welcomed.
bcBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 11:16 AM   #37 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

What time is it?

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcBrian View Post
If anyone doubts how serious this problem is, just take a look at what some think is fine for mainstream talking points.

Dilbert dickhead justifies these atrocities as being a normal boy in his poisonous writings.

Your WTFs welcomed.
What an absolute crock of shit. Firstly, this man who committed mass murder was not a teenage boy. He was 25 years old.

I've noticed that these guys don't tend to fit an image of being what would be considered conventionally hideous or anything but average looking. It's not that they cannot find women. It's that they have an idea of a very specific woman that they want, they want access to her whenever they feel, whether or not she is willing. What do they do to make themselves more appealing to women in general? I bet nothing, because they already believe that they should, by all rights, get any woman they want. That's called entitlement.

Finally, why wouldn't they ever use the services of a prostitute if they were so hard up? It's about far more than sexual urges.

I wonder if they would attempt to defend rape in this same manner that they are defending mass murder. If so, well....that says quite a bit about Dilbert's writer, doesn't it?

Last edited by Jolene Benoir; 04-27-2018 at 11:21 AM.
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Likes This:
Old 04-27-2018, 12:27 PM   #38 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 3/9/2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolene Benoir View Post
What an absolute crock of shit. Firstly, this man who committed mass murder was not a teenage boy. He was 25 years old.

I've noticed that these guys don't tend to fit an image of being what would be considered conventionally hideous or anything but average looking. It's not that they cannot find women. It's that they have an idea of a very specific woman that they want, they want access to her whenever they feel, whether or not she is willing. What do they do to make themselves more appealing to women in general? I bet nothing, because they already believe that they should, by all rights, get any woman they want. That's called entitlement.

Finally, why wouldn't they ever use the services of a prostitute if they were so hard up? It's about far more than sexual urges.

I wonder if they would attempt to defend rape in this same manner that they are defending mass murder. If so, well....that says quite a bit about Dilbert's writer, doesn't it?
This almost points out a paradox in their desires that puts them where they are with women.

They have an idealized woman they want. But at the same time, that type of women, for the most part, is someone they wpuld consider to be too much of a whore, there for not something they want.

Yet they don't seem to connect these two scenarios as being at crossed purposes (reguardless of how right or true they are). Basically they will never ever find A, because she will always fall into B, which is a negative that eliminates them from A.

This is also why they don't just go for a prostitute. Well, prpbably that and a lot of these types are also NEETs who have no real money for a prostitute, especially not for one that falls well into their own "Definitely a filthy whore" category.

http://allaroundthegrid.blogspot.com/
Ramen Jedburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 12:40 PM   #39 (permalink)

I wonder if there's any commonality between the upbringings of these incels, any family characteristics or traits they have in common.

I'm remembering how hard it was to raise a young man as a single mother. How you had to use your own relationship(s) as examples, how you had to scout for good male role models for him to spend time with. We were lucky in both regards, and given how HARD it all was I can't find it in me to blame single parents who aren't that lucky.

Sometimes I think that current society, with its barrages of terrible messages, our constant exposure to bad news, the level of education and sophistication we demand of young folks in cities to get jobs ... sometimes I think the most damning failure of society is that we've made it too HARD to live.

My greatuncle was what they called "simple-minded". He worked as an assistant cobbler his whole life, and with some family nudges and assistance, married and lived seemingly happily, all without the aid of social workers, public assistance, etc. That just wouldn't happen today.
Nika Talaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 09:32 PM   #40 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
David Futrelle, of We Hunted The Mammoth, a blog in which he scrutinises the activities of Men's Rights Activists, Pick-up Artists, Men Going Their Own Way, Incels, Red Pillers and heaven knows what else, has an article in the Canadian newspaper, the Globe and Mail, Can the radicalization of Ďincelsí be stopped?, in which he argues that people should bring pressure on ISPs etc to get Incel websites and forums closed down, as they do with neo-Nazis and other purveyors of hate speech, in an attempt to prevent other lonely young men from becoming radicalised and drawn into a morass of hatred and self-pity. It's very well-argued and persuasive, and I greatly recommend it to people.

However, I'm a bit in two minds about it. I want the forums closed down -- I've taken a look at some of them over the last couple of days and some of the material there is absolutely vile. Certainly a lot of it is simply lonely and very unhappy men expressing their self-hatred and hatred for ... well, for just about everyone, I guess, and particularly for women, by spinning lurid fantasies of gaining revenge on the world they find so painful through rape, murder and disfigurement. These shared fantasies, I can see, are simply a way of blowing off steam, as it were.

However, some of the readers already have been inspired by this kind of revenge fantasy to act on it, most recently in Toronto this week, and I fear more may be in the future.

So yes, I do want these message boards closed down, even though I'm aware that they'll just go underground and move to anonymous groups on Discord and the like, recruiting via Reddit and YouTube comments and so on.

However, I don't think that's the whole story. I think the initiative has to come from governments, not just concerned internet users who agree with David Futrelle, as part of an overall strategy to identify people who are getting involved in this potentially dangerous subculture and to seek to intervene, where appropriate, to de-radicalise them.

So I want them treated in a similar way to Daesh and to various neo-Nazi and white supremacist groups, with whom they have a lot in common, in that they appeal to disaffected and lonely young men and offer them some sort of narrative that explains their discontents and also offer them some sort of companionship and community. It's the sort of problem that has to be tackled by the government, to my mind.

(I feel my MP may be receiving an email from me before too long ....)
Innula Zenovka is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 04-30-2018, 09:37 AM   #41 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

A sex worker on why people shouldn't urge "incels" to visit sex workers -- briefly, these guys hate all women (whoda thunkit?) and particularly hate sex workers because they think they're entitled to have sex, and certainly shouldn't have to pay for it.

Twitter
2 Users Agreed:
Old 04-30-2018, 11:08 AM   #42 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Please State the Nature of the Mustelid Emergency

MRAs and PUAs and the alt-rightwhite and actual nazis are all part of the same sexist/racist subculture as the Confederate apologists. It's just the froth on the latest wave of flaming shit from the latest generation to keep feeding that fire they claim they didn't start.

"And now I'm going to show you something really cool."

The previous is a cybernetic datum published - in direct contravention of DoD Regulation #229RR3X3 - as being conducive to the physical, psychological and/or social well-being of the population.
Argent Stonecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 02:42 PM   #43 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

Singing along with old music

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Oct 4 2009
Business: Moondrops ; Tempus Fugit; Faerycat Designs; sPunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Stonecutter View Post
MRAs and PUAs and the alt-rightwhite and actual nazis are all part of the same sexist/racist subculture as the Confederate apologists. It's just the froth on the latest wave of flaming shit from the latest generation to keep feeding that fire they claim they didn't start.
I don't quite agree; there is certainly kinship there, but there is nothing inherently racist in misogyny, and racism is not limited to people who think it is heritage and not hate to wave that bloody flag around, either.

----

Also, the problem isn't even one the Goverment can face alone; its a societal problem, and its really deeply entrenched. My housemate has been writing popcorn fiction for fundage so he can afford to write better fiction [and you know, pay bills and stuff], and what sells is fiction that plays right into the whole MRA BS. Fantasies where the 'nice guy' has women throwing themselves at him; no emotional ties, just all the sex because he's a nice guy and deserves it. Housemate hates this stuff, and the guy he works with doesn't care for it either, but its what makes money.

How in the hell do you stop this sort of thing, when even if one writer [or TV producer, etc] refuses to produce it? Someone else will, because it sells, and who cares if it keeps this cycle going?

That's just an example, but that's where the problem lies. Everything seems designed to cater to men and boys; whether its fantasy novels, or young adult fiction. Its changing slowly, but not fast enough, and that'll be its own issue, because well, look at Gamergate.

Aribeth Zelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 04:46 AM   #44 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aribeth Zelin View Post
I don't quite agree; there is certainly kinship there, but there is nothing inherently racist in misogyny, and racism is not limited to people who think it is heritage and not hate to wave that bloody flag around, either.
They're driven by the same sense of tribal entitlement. They all drink from the same black poisoned well of hate.
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 05-01-2018, 11:14 AM   #45 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

Quote:
They're driven by the same sense of tribal entitlement. They all drink from the same black poisoned well of hate.
Andrew Aglin, aka "Weev," the founder of The Stormer website, apparently thinks that Minassian probably wasn't an incel (for reasons that presumably make sense to Aglin, though not to me) but wishes he were. And this view has gone down quite well on at least one incel forum. https://wonkette.com/633072/awww-the...ew-nazi-friend

See also Incel logic: Australian neo-Nazi planned mass shooting ďif I donít get laid soonĒ :: We Hunted The Mammoth

I think Incels, MRAs, neo-Nazis and Jihadis are all different aspects of the same phenomenon. People feel, for various reasons, disempowered, isolated and lonely. There's all sorts of ways of dealing with this, and one of them is to seek company and validation in online communities of like-minded people who offer an apparently comforting narrative explaining that your problems are all caused by the machinations of another, powerful, group, and presenting violent revenge (often including self-immolation) against this group as the solution.

Someone -- I forget who -- once said that young men dream of dying heroically in the service of a cause. If and when they mature, they realise of living humbly in the service of one. I think there's a lot of that here, combined with the more immediate reason that people want to put an end to their suffering and to the people they blame for having caused it, all at once.

I don't seek to psychologise away the real social and political problems some people face that make them vulnerable to recruitment or grooming by such groups, but I suggest, rather, that these groups are, for whatever reasons, offering imaginary and destructive non-solutions to similar problems in people''s lives.
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 05-01-2018, 11:19 AM   #46 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Quote:
People feel, for various reasons, disempowered, isolated and lonely.
I've spent a lot of time there and I wasn't even once inspired to drive a van down the sidewalk.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:30 AM   #47 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

Quote:
I've spent a lot of time there and I wasn't even once inspired to drive a van down the sidewalk.
No, of course not. Similarly, most Muslims in countries where they are both a religious minority and members of minority ethnic groups presumably feel, and with good reason, marginalised and threatened by a hostile country that's part of a war on Islam. But that doesn't inspire them to drive vans at people, either, or run off to Syria to join Daesh. Someone of them, though, it does.

All I'm suggesting is that these various far-right/jihadist/nihilist groups are all aspects of a similar (very dysfunctional and self-destructive) response to problems a great many people encounter but manage to overcome by adopting more sane strategies.
3 Users Said Thanks :
Old 05-01-2018, 11:45 AM   #48 (permalink)
But it refused. <3

*SLU Supporter*

I'm a regular Victor Victoria

Okay, a tweet.

Twitter

It's not the tweet that's the interesting thing here but rather skim the replies and watch what the trolls are doing and the mentality involved.
Kamilah Hauptmann is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 05-01-2018, 12:18 PM   #49 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

Singing along with old music

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Oct 4 2009
Business: Moondrops ; Tempus Fugit; Faerycat Designs; sPunk
Quote:
Yes, but when you link them all together, it becomes easier to ignore the non-racist men, even civil rights activists, who still treat women as if we are -things-, -prizes-, that they are entitled to.

Because misogyny isn't just a white male thing, or a male thing, or a white thing. There might be overlap, but its a much, much wider issue, because its so inherent in our culture.
Aribeth Zelin is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 05-01-2018, 12:28 PM   #50 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

What time is it?

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamilah Hauptmann View Post
Okay, a tweet.

https://twitter.com/helen/status/990812548457902080

It's not the tweet that's the interesting thing here but rather skim the replies and watch what the trolls are doing and the mentality involved.
Jesus. Definitely targeted and brigaded. I briefly looked at a few of their profiles and surprise, it's not just women that they hate. WTF is up with Twitter when they allow complete and utter garbage like that to thrive?
2 Users Said Thanks :