WTF The Windrush Generation: we may have adccidentally deported some in error, sorry. - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » WTF? The Windrush Generation: we may have adccidentally deported some in error, sorry.

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2018, 03:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

lesser spotted swivel eyed loon

My Mood:
Business: The Tiggerworks
The Windrush Generation: we may have adccidentally deported some in error, sorry.

After world war 2, the british needed a bit of help rebuilding the country, so we invited a lot of caribbean workers to immigrate and help us. They travelled on a boat - a liner I think - called the Windrush and they have been known as the Windrush generation.

But now, many of their children who came with them, some just a few years old at the time, are being arrested, detained and deported. Or even if not deported they are losing their homes (if rented), losing their jobs, being denied health care.

This is all down to Theresa May's "Hostile Environment" policy, intended to make immigrants feel unwelcome. From what's been said it would appear the government hasn't kept or has possibly lost records of people arriving in the UK who are legally allowed to be here before the 1970s and so they are now demanding that people, who arrived as children produce evidence that they came legally. But the government didn't necessarily issue any such paperwork in those days and even if they did, we are talking 50 years or more that have passed since then.

A summary of the situation here: https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/windrush...h-deportation/

Labour MP Davidy Lammy, himself a child of Windrush parents, was fairly pissed off about it in the commons today:

Twitter

some of the stories of individuals are here:
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ration-amnesty

Theresa May has refused to meet with officials from the countries they are being deported to.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...P=share_btn_tw

Amber Rudd has criticised the home office for its behaviour (hint - that's HER department) and in general the whole government has been a shambles over this.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...sh-immigration
Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Groaned:
Old 04-17-2018, 02:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Eternal Newbie

*SLU Supporter*
Entirely without credibility

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 21 June 2009
Client: Firestorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
This is all down to Theresa May's "Hostile Environment" policy, intended to make immigrants feel unwelcome.
Link : https://www.theguardian.com/politics...le-environment
Arkady Arkright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 03:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Eternal Newbie

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
To summarise :

Theresa May as Home Secretary started and enforced it.
Theresa May as Prime Minister appointed a puppet Home Secretary to continue it.
Theresa may refused to allow it to be discussed at the Commonwealth Heads of State meeting.
Theresa may has thrown the current Home Secretary under a bus in an attempt to divert blame from herself.
1 User Likes This:
Old 04-17-2018, 06:38 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: July 2003
Windrush generation: Theresa May apologises to Caribbean leaders

Quote:
Prime Minister Theresa May has apologised to Caribbean leaders over the Windrush generation controversy, at a Downing Street meeting.
She said she was "genuinely sorry" about the anxiety caused by the Home Office threatening the children of Commonwealth citizens with deportation.
The UK government "valued" the contribution they had made, she said, and they had a right to stay in the UK.

Windrush generation: Theresa May apologises to Caribbean leaders - BBC News
stora is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 04-17-2018, 12:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Mood:
One of the reasons its hard to find any documentary evidence of who came to the UK, is because the government destroyed it in 2010.

Quote:
The former employee (who has asked for his name not to be printed) said it was decided in 2010 to destroy the disembarkation cards, which dated back to the 1950s and 60s, when the Home Office’s Whitgift Centre in Croydon was closed and the staff were moved to another site. Employees in his department told their managers it was a bad idea, because these papers were often the last remaining record of a person’s arrival date, in the event of uncertainty or lost documents. The files were destroyed in October that year, when Theresa May was home secretary.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ays-ex-staffer
1 User Agreed:
Old 04-17-2018, 01:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

whatever

This is sounding less to be an accident, and more like a plan to deport people.

- 1948 - Nationality Act meant that Caribbean migrants were invited to this country as citizens;
- 1962 - Immigration Act - citizens become “immigrants”;
Step 1: 2010 - destroy government records, evidence;
Step 2: 2014 - remove legal protections for the Windrush Generation (2014 Immigration Act)
Twitter
Step 3: ~2015? - deport ~12,056 people who no longer have evidence and no longer have legal protection;
Twitter
Step 4: Give these deported people pamphlets on how to be non-British, (oh, that one isn't in this thread, I try to find link)
Twitter
Step 5: Apologize and say it is an accident . . .

Or, to clarify, this was no accident.

ETA: added new step 2

Last edited by Lexxi Gynoid; 04-17-2018 at 01:23 PM.
Lexxi Gynoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 01:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

whatever

David Lammy is doing good work.

Twitter
3 Users Agreed:
Old 04-17-2018, 03:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

25 forevah! in SL at least

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 2004
Business: Mediverse
Client: Mostly Firestorm
"Accidentally"? It appears not. If you deliberately destroy the only evidence these people could rely on to prove that they entered the country legally and before the deadline for automatic nationality, you can't call it an accident if you wrongly deport people.

This government is evil. There's no other word for it. They're spending more money to torture and oppress the ill, the disabled and the poor than it would have cost to simply pay them their benefits. And the system now means that most of the money is going to profit-making companies and not the people the money is meant for. They line their pockets by investing in companies they award contracts to, and they do not care that child poverty is increasing, the average lifespan is beginning to decrease, and more and more people are in danger of homelessness.

As I never fail to tell my MP - at least the Victorians had the workhouses. We don't even offer the poor and desperate that.
MP,
Caliandris is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 04-17-2018, 05:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Mood:
It's not just the deportations that are so objectionable it's everything else they lose and the way the system is geared to make it impossible to defend yourself.

If your immigration status can't be proved then :

1) you can't rent a place to live. The government recently put the burden on landlords so that renting a property to someone who has no right to live in the UK is an offence. This means that landlords now have no real choice other than to err on the side of caution or face prosecution themselves.

2) No NHS treatment. We've already seen a guy with prostate cancer being told he will have to pay 54,000 for treatment.

3) No Work and no benefits. These people are being kicked out of jobs and there is no form of benefit at all for them, nothing, zero income.

4) No bank accounts or if you have one already it may be frozen.

5) No legal aid, you'll have to pay for your own legal representation from your zero income and your bank accounts you can't access.

The process of removing them happens very quickly, they may have just a few days to try and prevent it.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lost Bird

SL Join Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliandris View Post
"Accidentally"? It appears not. If you deliberately destroy the only evidence these people could rely on to prove that they entered the country legally and before the deadline for automatic nationality, you can't call it an accident if you wrongly deport people.

This government is evil. There's no other word for it. They're spending more money to torture and oppress the ill, the disabled and the poor than it would have cost to simply pay them their benefits. And the system now means that most of the money is going to profit-making companies and not the people the money is meant for. They line their pockets by investing in companies they award contracts to, and they do not care that child poverty is increasing, the average lifespan is beginning to decrease, and more and more people are in danger of homelessness.

As I never fail to tell my MP - at least the Victorians had the workhouses. We don't even offer the poor and desperate that.
MP,

Same thing has been going on in the US for a long time. Monkey see, monkey do? It's no longer clear who is "copying" who, but it all boils down to that Eurocentric mindset as the source.
Believe or you will not see.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Groaned:
Old 04-17-2018, 05:19 PM   #11 (permalink)

My Mood:
It's astonishing to say this but one of the reasons this may be stopped is that even the far right news sources are outraged over this. The Daily Mail, which spends most of its time full of immigrant hate stories, actually expressed outrage over whatls happening, as has the The Sun.

You will rarely see both right and left wing papers taking the same line on a story, but the condemnation of this has been all but unanimous.

DailyMail front pages for tuesday and wednesday:

1 User Agreed:
Old 04-18-2018, 12:45 PM   #12 (permalink)

Foxed

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Once upon a time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfEyes View Post
Same thing has been going on in the US for a long time. Monkey see, monkey do? It's no longer clear who is "copying" who, but it all boils down to that Eurocentric mindset as the source.
You may think it hard to be worse than that, but I'd say there's a strong Anglocentric mindset in place.
Originally Posted by Kamilah Hauptmann Well it started with some lolwut and some straight dope, but then someone used Snarcasm and it was Super Effective and then SLU was an evil hivemind culminating in attempted suicide by mod, now we're in the post mortem unless bro comes back for the sequel.
Ashiri is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Groaned:
1 User Agreed:
Old 04-18-2018, 12:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
Lost Bird

SL Join Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashiri View Post
You may think it hard to be worse than that, but I'd say there's a strong Anglocentric mindset in place.
Pretty much the same thing. One is just more focused on the British Isles. The other encompasses all countries.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 02:07 PM   #14 (permalink)

I have no status

Business: No Escape
Client: Official, Various RCs, Marines,Firestorm - for testing stuff. BlackDragon - For everything else.
From my lair in the tenements of Auld Reekie, I have two fingers from my British heritage and one from the time I spent in America to express my opinion of nanny Theresa.

Nicola, on the other hand, for her I'll just bend over and flip my kilt so she can see I'm wearing it properly.

In between taking a wee trip up the coast for the express purpose of pissing on one of Donald's golf courses.
Da5id Weatherwax is online now   Reply With Quote
4 Users Laughed:
2 Users Like This:
Old 04-19-2018, 04:16 AM   #15 (permalink)

My Mood:
and of course you have the inevitable consequences of it all.

Twitter

the way our government is treating immigrants, disabled and the sick you would think they were engaged in deliberately killing off the "excess population"
Old 04-23-2018, 04:57 PM   #16 (permalink)

I have no status

Client: Official, Various RCs, Marines,Firestorm - for testing stuff. BlackDragon - For everything else.
British government's response:

"We're going to fix this. If you came here from a commonwealth country before 1973, you're eligible for citizenship and we're going to waive all fees and 'citizenship tests' for you to make that happen."

And this is from a conservative government. Can you imagine how the GOP's heads would collectively explode if anyone even thought about something like that in America?
1 User Agreed:
Old 04-23-2018, 05:06 PM   #17 (permalink)
But it refused. <3

*SLU Supporter*

I'm a regular Victor Victoria

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da5id Weatherwax View Post
And this is from a conservative government. Can you imagine how the GOP's heads would collectively explode if anyone even thought about something like that in America?
Dignity matters in the Commonwealth I know, (The occasional Rob Ford notwithstanding), and this government managed to publicly disgrace themselves. Emphasis on the publicly.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:09 PM   #18 (permalink)

whatever

Quote:

"We're going to fix this. If you came here from a commonwealth country before 1973, you're eligible for citizenship and we're going to waive all fees and 'citizenship tests' for you to make that happen."

I don't know the laws - are the children already, automatically, citizens? Those born after 1973 to the Windrush generation? If not, what about them? The guy who was going to be deported, but his deportation was stopped - in my posts above, was the son of someone in the Windrush generation, not of the Windrush generation. Unless I misread things.

If they are not automatically citizens - and they thought they were because they were born in the UK, we could be talking about people who have lived 45 years in the UK and are suddenly too young to be 'waived' into citizenship.

For that matter, what if they were born before 1973? The quoted passage says 'came here' - Their parents could have come over in 1948. The individual born in the UK could have been born in 1949. They could be 69 now and without a country. Because of the wording of the laws.

On the other hand - if the people born here were automatically citizens then . . . wonder what was up with that guy who was going to be deported.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:07 PM   #19 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
I can imagine...

Correct me if I"m wrong, but if anyone in Britain even suggested they cancel universal healthcare, they'd probably be lynched, right? In America, that is even considered a centrist position...
TrollCampFollower is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 04-24-2018, 12:23 AM   #20 (permalink)
Eternal Newbie

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
Quote:
You're making the mistake of taking the UK government at their word* - I can see all sorts of bureaucratic tangles being quietly put in people's way once the news-media has moved on to the next 'big story'.

* There are major local elections here next week, with a lot of voters of varying ethnicities and immigration backgrounds...
1 User Agreed:
Old 04-24-2018, 01:16 AM   #21 (permalink)

My Mood:
I am not impressed with the governments response.

So far they have tried to claim that Labour are responsible for the destruction of Windrush records, although there is no doubt that the Tories were in power when it happened.

They have tried to claim that Theresa May's infamous "Go Home!" vans were done without her knowledge, claiming that she was on holiday that week. On holiday. As if her department would think up the scheme approve it, fund it and implement without her knowledge and in a matter of days.

Theresa May stood up in parliament and said that Albert Thompson, who they wanted to charge 54,000 for cancer treatment, was now getting the treatment he needed. Five days later, he says "no I'm not." Although he has received a phone call to promise that he will receive a letter in 3-4 weeks time. I guess that's how long they think it will take for the stories to die down.

This was never an accident. The hostile environment policy, as conceived of and implemented by Theresa May first and continued by Amber Rudd, was always intended to terrify people into leaving the UK, even if they had every right to be here. Policies like this and the anti-immigrant surge of Brexit are enabling racism and hate in the UK. To think that the ministers responsible were so clueless that they didn't know that is naive.

(e.t.a.)

In fact fuck it, I'm not done yet.

Let's look at Theresa May some more, "We can deport now and hear appeals later" that was her. She's tried to claim that everything that's happened have been unintended consequences of the policy only to have papers emerge that show they knew this kind of thing would happen and even specifically knew that the Windrush generation would be hit hard by it.

They knew, they've always known, they don't give a damn about the suffering caused or about justice. They don't care that they did it, they only care that it became a big story and makes them look bad.

Last edited by Tigger; 04-24-2018 at 01:31 AM. Reason: needed to rant more.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 04-24-2018, 01:29 AM   #22 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 3/9/2006
Total side note.

Labour seems like it has obvious connotayions but is Tories short for something that has similar connotations at all?

http://allaroundthegrid.blogspot.com/
Ramen Jedburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 01:34 AM   #23 (permalink)

My Mood:
Tory is just short for the Conservative party, somehow, I have no clue how that came to be but it just is.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:51 AM   #24 (permalink)

Foxed

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Once upon a time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
Tory is just short for the Conservative party, somehow, I have no clue how that came to be but it just is.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tory#History
Ashiri is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 04-24-2018, 08:33 AM   #25 (permalink)

I have no status

Tigger, I find the response pretty unimpressive too, its just having spent a couple decades in the USA and only returned to this septic isle a year and a half ago, the contrast between what counts as a "conservative bigot" in the UK and in the USA is pretty damn stark!

Seriously, Theresa May - or even Maggie Thatcher (*spit*) - would be considered a fucking centerist in the USA. The GOP over there is insane.
4 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Agreed: