WTF The Windrush Generation: we may have adccidentally deported some in error, sorry. - Page 2 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » WTF? The Windrush Generation: we may have adccidentally deported some in error, sorry.

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2018, 08:39 AM   #26 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 3/9/2006
Client: Firestorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da5id Weatherwax View Post
Tigger, I find the response pretty unimpressive too, its just having spent a couple decades in the USA and only returned to this septic isle a year and a half ago, the contrast between what counts as a "conservative bigot" in the UK and in the USA is pretty damn stark!

Seriously, Theresa May - or even Maggie Thatcher (*spit*) - would be considered a fucking centerist in the USA. The GOP over there is insane.
Like I keep saying, the US doesn't have a left and a right, they have right and more right.

Which is part of why a large swath of left leaning folks just don't care anymore.

http://allaroundthegrid.blogspot.com/
Ramen Jedburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 04-24-2018, 03:01 PM   #27 (permalink)
But it refused. <3

*SLU Supporter*

I'm a regular Victor Victoria

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Twitter

lol, k
Old 04-24-2018, 03:11 PM   #28 (permalink)

Building Better Worlds since 1979

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jun 27, 2006
Client: 7 of them (I like testing)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
Tory is just short for the Conservative party, somehow, I have no clue how that came to be but it just is.
The word "Tory" derives from the Middle Irish word tóraidhe; modern Irish tóraí; modern Scottish Gaelic Tòraidh: outlaw, robber or brigand,

-- from Wikipedia article "Tory"
DanielRavenNest is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
1 User Said Thanks:
2 Users Like This:
Old 04-24-2018, 04:33 PM   #29 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

Singing along with old music

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Oct 4 2009
Business: Moondrops ; Tempus Fugit; Faerycat Designs; sPunk
Explains a lot.

Aribeth Zelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 05:02 PM   #30 (permalink)

taking a break from reality

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Once upon a time.
FWIW, it seems to be a 'meme' in several countries to deport people who arrived as children.
UK, obviously.
Australia.
New Zealand.

All seems to come down to people who should have had residency not getting it due to official fuckups when it seems quite clear the people obviously thought they were entitled to reside permanently, or perhaps even that they were already citizens.

(It seems that NZ immigration has been given a political swift kick up the arse for their incompetence.)
Originally Posted by Kamilah Hauptmann Well it started with some lolwut and some straight dope, but then someone used Snarcasm and it was Super Effective and then SLU was an evil hivemind culminating in attempted suicide by mod, now we're in the post mortem unless bro comes back for the sequel.
Ashiri is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 04-24-2018, 05:06 PM   #31 (permalink)

lesser spotted swivel eyed loon

My Mood:
Business: The Tiggerworks
One of the things about the windrush arrivals is that when they arrived they were british citizens already. The countries they came from gained independence from the UK later. They were never, technically, immigrants any more than I am an immigrant in Wales because I was born in England.
Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Said Thanks :
Old 04-26-2018, 02:55 AM   #32 (permalink)
Nemo me impune lacessit

*SLU Supporter*

We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation. -Voltaire

My Mood:
Business: Radio Free Darkmere

Most Erotic Salma Hayek Youtube Clip 
The whole hostile environment thing is fucking evil.

I have a food friend who is from India. He has an estranged Scottish wife (whom he met and married in India) and 2 kids. He was granted permanent residence in the UK about 20 years ago. He never applied for citizenship, as he owns family land in India, and if he' took citizenship here he and his family would lose that land.

So for 10 years he worked as a taxi driver here, last year when he reapplied for his license he had multiple new hoops to jump through, and was required to provide additional documentation... from India, where he hasn't lived for 20 years, and which has a governmental bureaucracy so incompetent and byzantine it makes the UK look efficient.

The paperwork didn't arrive in time to renew his license, in fact it still hasn't arrived. So, after 6 months of not working, and spending all his savings on legal aid and survival, he's broke and working part time in food delivery to survive.

And all this is worse for him, as shortly after arriving here, he suffered from viral meningitis, which damaged his cognitive abilities, and left him dyslexic also... this is a man who was a leading light in animal welfare in Rajastan, who received recognition from Maneka Gandhi for his work, reduced to struggling with paperwork to get his job back.

Last edited by Lucifer Baphomet; 04-26-2018 at 03:04 AM.
Lucifer Baphomet is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Said Thanks :
Old 04-29-2018, 05:20 PM   #33 (permalink)

My Mood:
After denying that she knew about deportation targets and then having her own email leaked where she states she's upping the deportation targets by 10%, Amber Rudd has finally been caught out in a few too many lies and quit.

One down.
1 User Groaned:
2 Users Said Yay!:
1 User Said Thanks:
3 Users Like This:
Old 04-30-2018, 02:08 AM   #34 (permalink)

My Mood:

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
Deport that whole party to the Falklands and let them scrape penguin shit off the rocks.
“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!” -- C. Johnson
detrius is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Groaned:
2 Users Like This:
Old 04-30-2018, 06:06 AM   #35 (permalink)

My Mood:
There is one other small point worth keeping in mind.

The journalist who broke this story is Amelia Gentleman, Who is married to MP Jo Johnson
Who is the brother of Boris Johnson.

Each time Rudd made a statement some damaging leak came from *somewhere* inside government to prove her a liar. I wonder where.

Why might Boris Johnson be happy to see the back of Amber Rudd as a minister?
Because she was one of the few pro-remain voices in the cabinet.

Consider how many lies Johnson & David "excruciating detail" Davis are responsible for and yet still hold their jobs.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:06 AM   #36 (permalink)
Eternal Newbie

*SLU Supporter*
Entirely without credibility

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 21 June 2009
On top of all this, Amanda Rudd was actually trying to get more NHS worker immigrants in, but : Theresa May vetoed Cabinet pleas over visa quotas for doctors from overseas to fill empty NHS posts.
Arkady Arkright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:52 AM   #37 (permalink)

My Mood:
Update:

after saying they had no idea if anyone had been deported, Rudd's replacement says 63 people may* have been wrongfully deported and that figure may* rise. Still no idea how many have been wrongfully detained.

* there really isn't any doubt about it.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ved-says-javid