Cambridge Analytica Files: ‘I created Steve Bannon’s psychological warfare tool’ - Page 3 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » Cambridge Analytica Files: ‘I created Steve Bannon’s psychological warfare tool’

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2018, 09:31 AM   #51 (permalink)

Carol Davidson VP at Rentrak you might remember her working for the Obama campaign. They been doing this for a long time which is why I stay away from facebook. Jim Carey twitted that he's done with them.
simcityguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:04 AM   #52 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 3/9/2006
Client: Firestorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Guity View Post
It would be nice if there were something to replace FB with before it crashes! There are millions of people and small business who rely on it for communications. They would be seriously hurt by an abrupt shutdown with no alternative in place to reach customers and other users.
We already have that.

Its called the free and open web.

Anyone can make a proper website using htmt and php. There are also a plethora of Indieweb tools to add webhooks for the social sort of thing Facebook does, only its unfeterated and the owner controls the server.

http://allaroundthegrid.blogspot.com/
Ramen Jedburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:43 AM   #53 (permalink)
Easily Distracted

Just Sans

My Mood:
SL Join Date: April 2005
Client: Official client
I went through and reset all my FB settings to eliminate some of the data gathering from my account. I mostly just use FB to post photos of my quilts and a daily Van Gogh painting on my page. Sometimes family drama creeps on to my page from my sister or someone else tagging me.

What's interesting is when you go into Settings<Ads you get to a page that lets you see your ad preferences, which basically shows you how Facebook is perceiving who you are based on ads you click on (or possibly your website visits outside of Facebook?) Mine is very accurately portraying me as a very Liberal, knitter, quilter, poet, interested in family issues, travel, with friends who are expats. And it lists every kind of device or browser I use to log in. What would someone do with my data, *barrage me with ads for yarn companies and quilting patterns? *this happens, actually, which I kind of love.

Apparently they don't know I'm stubborn and I voted for Hillary because I had vowed in 1992 that if she ever ran for President I was going to vote for her, lol. (or they DO know and that's why I never was targeted with MAGA garbage during the election?)

Last edited by Sansarya; 03-20-2018 at 11:53 AM.
Sansarya is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 03-20-2018, 11:56 AM   #54 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramen Jedburgh View Post
We already have that.

Its called the free and open web.

Anyone can make a proper website using htmt and php. There are also a plethora of Indieweb tools to add webhooks for the social sort of thing Facebook does, only its unfeterated and the owner controls the server.
Yes, just use an open tool like drupal and you can build pretty much anything you want.

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 03-20-2018, 12:10 PM   #55 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansarya View Post
I went through and reset all my FB settings to eliminate some of the data gathering from my account. I mostly just use FB to post photos of my quilts and a daily Van Gogh painting on my page. Sometimes family drama creeps on to my page from my sister or someone else tagging me.

What's interesting is when you go into Settings<Ads you get to a page that lets you see your ad preferences, which basically shows you how Facebook is perceiving who you are based on ads you click on (or possibly your website visits outside of Facebook?) Mine is very accurately portraying me as a very Liberal, knitter, quilter, poet, interested in family issues, travel, with friends who are expats. And it lists every kind of device or browser I use to log in. What would someone do with my data, *barrage me with ads for yarn companies and quilting patterns? *this happens, actually, which I kind of love.

Apparently they don't know I'm stubborn and I voted for Hillary because I had vowed in 1992 that if she ever ran for President I was going to vote for her, lol. (or they DO know and that's why I never was targeted with MAGA garbage during the election?)
I decided to have a look at what they collected on me. After you eliminate the stuff they obviously know (like what browsers and that I admin pages) the rest was pretty funny, 2 in particular

'very liberal' I wonder how much cpu power it took to figure that out?

'african american' I would guess there are not too many black people whose ancestry is mostly from Nordic countries. I decided to leave it in to confuse their dataset though.
2 Users Laughed:
Old 03-20-2018, 12:40 PM   #56 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

Singing along with old music

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Oct 4 2009
Business: Moondrops ; Tempus Fugit; Faerycat Designs; sPunk
Wow... looking at my FB ads stuff.... Interests include: Horror Movies? Wait, what?!

Also, Reality TV shows?! Most of it is music though, and -that- is pretty accurate.

My info seems pretty correct. US Politics is very liberal [like no shit, sherlock...]

But the interests seem really off on the whole TV/movie thing. I'm not particularly into Star Wars, or Cars, for that matter, either, but...

Aribeth Zelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 01:46 PM   #57 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
Twitter
Innula Zenovka is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Likes This:
Old 03-20-2018, 01:49 PM   #58 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsupah Ree View Post

Poor, poor Mr Zuckerberg.
Twitter
3 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Likes This:
Old 03-20-2018, 01:56 PM   #59 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

What time is it?

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielRavenNest View Post
Gee, I wonder of Cambridge Analytica turns out to be the "collusion" thread that Trump keeps saying wasn't there? First, Bannon was so involved with CA, he gave it their name. Next, they targeted ads and posts using Facebook data. If someone can show the Russian troll farm got their marching orders using that data, there there's your link. At the least they are a British company that influenced US elections, which in most cases is illegal.
I've been assuming this is what happened all along. Mercer paid-for, Bannon was CEO, Cambridge Analytica using FB acquired information on voters, FB just happens to have Russian bogus misinformation ads targeted at said people.

When I assume that no low is too low for these folks, they always live up to it. The information that Cambridge Analytica are quite willing to use blackmail and honey pots pretty much seals the deal regarding their "ethics" and we all know how stringent Trump and company are about their ethics, as well. They set out to deceive and manipulate the election in any and every manner they could with absolutely no morals or abidance of norms/laws.
Jolene Benoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:04 PM   #60 (permalink)

25 forevah! in SL at least

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 2004
Business: Mediverse
Client: Mostly Firestorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Guity View Post
It would be nice if there were something to replace FB with before it crashes! There are millions of people and small business who rely on it for communications. They would be seriously hurt by an abrupt shutdown with no alternative in place to reach customers and other users.
I must own up to two facebook accounts, one in my real life name, with mostly friends I know in real life and family on it, and one which is partially in my avatar name. Wouldn't let me have Caliandris Pendragon, so I am Caliandris Clarke on FB and that's the account I allow friends who are virtual only to friend me on.

I also have an account with Ello, though. I had great hopes that people would abandon Facebook a few years ago and started my Ello account, which is specifically for creators and promises none of that pesky manipulation and data harvesting.
Caliandris is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 03-20-2018, 02:20 PM   #61 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

Article on C4 News website here: Exposed: Undercover secrets of Trump’s data firm

Quote:
20 Mar 2018

An investigation by Channel 4 News has revealed how Cambridge Analytica claims it ran ‘all’ of President Trump’s digital campaign – and may have broken election law. Executives were secretly filmed saying they leave ‘no paper trail’.

An undercover investigation by Channel 4 News has revealed how Cambridge Analytica claims it ran key parts of the presidential campaign for Donald Trump.

The British data company was secretly filmed discussing coordination between Trump’s campaign and outside groups – an activity which is potentially illegal.

Executives claimed they “ran all the digital campaign, the television campaign and our data informed all the strategy” for President Trump.

In the third part of a Channel 4 News investigation into Cambridge Analytica, bosses also talked about:
  • The full scale of their pivotal work in Trump’s election win
  • How they avoid Congressional investigations into their foreign clients
  • Setting up proxy organisations to feed untraceable messages onto social media
  • Using a secret email system where messages self-destruct and leave no trace
  • Cambridge Analytica’s involvement in the “Defeat Crooked Hilary” brand of attack ads
Old 03-20-2018, 02:30 PM   #62 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

My Mood:
Sadly, I just can't watch all of it, I can feel my blood pressure rising. Especially since some of my friends on Fb have people deluded by these ..... humans.
1 User Hugged You:
Old 03-20-2018, 03:44 PM   #63 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Twitter

Give me a break already. Yeah, I'm sure this was all him and nobody else at the company knew anything about it, including that guy sitting next to him who was smiling and nodding the whole time.
Dakota Tebaldi is online now   Reply With Quote
3 Users Said Thanks :
Old 03-20-2018, 03:55 PM   #64 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
Not just on this, but I don't underatand why there isn't any mechanism when corpprations to skeevy shit like this to essentially just seize it and close it and liquidate it.

I mean even of they jail everyone and the company lives on, it seems like this sort of crapnis 100% of the reason CA exists.
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-20-2018, 04:21 PM   #65 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Tebaldi View Post
https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/976181716678299648

Give me a break already. Yeah, I'm sure this was all him and nobody else at the company knew anything about it, including that guy sitting next to him who was smiling and nodding the whole time.
However

Twitter
Old 03-20-2018, 04:24 PM   #66 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

Oh my...

Twitter
Old 03-20-2018, 06:46 PM   #67 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Former Facebook employee: Cambridge Analytica was not an isolated case

Quote:
Hundreds of millions of Facebook users are likely to have had their private information harvested by companies that exploited the same terms as the firm that collected data and passed it on to Cambridge Analytica, according to a new whistleblower.

Sandy Parakilas, the platform operations manager at Facebook responsible for policing data breaches by third-party software developers between 2011 and 2012, told the Guardian he warned senior executives at the company that its lax approach to data protection risked a major breach.

“My concerns were that all of the data that left Facebook servers to developers could not be monitored by Facebook, so we had no idea what developers were doing with the data,” he said.

Parakilas said Facebook had terms of service and settings that “people didn’t read or understand” and the company did not use its enforcement mechanisms, including audits of external developers, to ensure data was not being misused.

Parakilas, whose job was to investigate data breaches by developers similar to the one later suspected of Global Science Research, which harvested tens of millions of Facebook profiles and provided the data to Cambridge Analytica, said the slew of recent disclosures had left him disappointed with his superiors for not heeding his warnings.

“It has been painful watching,” he said, “because I know that they could have prevented it.”

Asked what kind of control Facebook had over the data given to outside developers, he replied: “Zero. Absolutely none. Once the data left Facebook servers there was not any control, and there was no insight into what was going on.”

Parakilas said he “always assumed there was something of a black market” for Facebook data that had been passed to external developers. However, he said that when he told other executives the company should proactively “audit developers directly and see what’s going on with the data” he was discouraged from the approach.

He said one Facebook executive advised him against looking too deeply at how the data was being used, warning him: “Do you really want to see what you’ll find?” Parakilas said he interpreted the comment to mean that “Facebook was in a stronger legal position if it didn’t know about the abuse that was happening”.

He added: “They felt that it was better not to know. I found that utterly shocking and horrifying.”

Parakilas first went public with his concerns about privacy at Facebook four months ago, but his direct experience policing Facebook data given to third parties throws new light on revelations over how such data was obtained by Cambridge Analytica.

Facebook did not respond to a request for comment on the information supplied by Parakilas, but directed the Guardian to a November 2017 blogpost in which the company defended its data sharing practices, which it said had “significantly improved” over the last five years.

“While it’s fair to criticise how we enforced our developer policies more than five years ago, it’s untrue to suggest we didn’t or don’t care about privacy,” that statement said. “The facts tell a different story.”
Old 03-20-2018, 07:38 PM   #68 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliandris View Post
I also have an account with Ello, though. I had great hopes that people would abandon Facebook a few years ago and started my Ello account, which is specifically for creators and promises none of that pesky manipulation and data harvesting.
Did they rebrand? I created an account there awhile back but do not remember it being all creators at the time.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:50 PM   #69 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

I'm just a girl, with some horns

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008

Awards: 2
Old 03-20-2018, 09:43 PM   #70 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Shareholders file class action suit against Facebook after stock plunge

Quote:
Facebook Inc.’s failure to safeguard privacy was blamed in an investor lawsuit for a slump in its share price that followed the revelation user data was harvested without permission by a research firm connected to U.S. President Donald Trump.

The world’s largest social media network was sued in San Francisco federal court on Tuesday by shareholders in a class action who said they suffered losses after the disclosure that Cambridge Analytica, a U.K.-based firm that aided Trump, improperly obtained profile information on 50 million users.

Facebook fell as much as 5.2 percent to $175.41 Monday in New York, wiping out all of the year’s gains so far. It was the biggest intraday drop since Jan. 12. The stock dropped another 2.6 percent Tuesday to close at $168.15, after Bloomberg reported that the company is under investigation by the Federal Trade Commission, citing a person familiar with the matter.

The suit would represent people who bought shares of Facebook from Feb. 3, 2017, when Facebook filed its annual report and cited security breaches and improper access to user data, through March 19, two days after a New York Times report revealed how data from Cambridge Analytica obtained through Facebook was used without “proper disclosures or permission.” The stock has tumbled more than 9 percent this week.

Throughout that period, “defendants made false or misleading statements and failed to disclose that Facebook violated its own data privacy policies by allowing third parties access to personal data of millions of Facebook users without their consent,” according to the complaint.

Darren Robbins, a securities class action lawyer who isn’t involved in the case, called the Cambridge Analytics case “troubling” for Facebook and the country overall.

“They have potential culpability in a number of areas,” Robbins said about the social network by phone before the lawsuit was filed. “Whether liability from users, government regulators or investors follows, there are implications for our society given the unique position Facebook occupies in the daily lives of Americans.”

Investors may be able to sue Facebook successfully if they can show the company induced them to invest based in part on false, misleading or incomplete information regarding practices that might have averted the user privacy issues, Robbins said.

“That is dependent upon the representations made about the types of actions Facebook has taken to protect this information,” he said. “If the representations made publicly are inconsistent with what actually occurred, is there potential liability? The answer is yes.”
2 Users Like This:
Old 03-20-2018, 09:56 PM   #71 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aribeth Zelin View Post
Wow... looking at my FB ads stuff.... Interests include: Horror Movies? Wait, what?!

Also, Reality TV shows?! Most of it is music though, and -that- is pretty accurate.

My info seems pretty correct. US Politics is very liberal [like no shit, sherlock...]

But the interests seem really off on the whole TV/movie thing. I'm not particularly into Star Wars, or Cars, for that matter, either, but...
Yeah, I was actually kind of disappointed with the inaccuracy of mine. I was trying to be all paranoid about the data collected on me, but they are a far cry from mind readers.
TrollCampFollower is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 03-20-2018, 10:03 PM   #72 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollCampFollower View Post
Yeah, I was actually kind of disappointed with the inaccuracy of mine. I was trying to be all paranoid about the data collected on me, but they are a far cry from mind readers.
I suspect that they picked up on 'Oh, she's a goth, she must LOVE horror movies.

Which is halftrue? I love -old- ones, like Vincent Price movies....
2 Users Like This:
Old 03-20-2018, 10:42 PM   #73 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

Twitter
Old 03-20-2018, 10:48 PM   #74 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aribeth Zelin View Post
I suspect that they picked up on 'Oh, she's a goth, she must LOVE horror movies.

Which is halftrue? I love -old- ones, like Vincent Price movies....
facebook correctly figured out I liked horror movies.

They also thought I liked Snoop Dog. ...what?! Maybe I once or twice liked a funny video with him in it over the years?

They also thought I liked John Travolta. He's okay, I guess. But I have no idea why they'd think I loved him over any other actor or actress.
TrollCampFollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:01 PM   #75 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollCampFollower View Post
Mine was fairly accurate, but it also was really generic. I don't like or follow a lot to help keep it that way.