Cambridge Analytica Files: ‘I created Steve Bannon’s psychological warfare tool’ - Page 2 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » Cambridge Analytica Files: ‘I created Steve Bannon’s psychological warfare tool’

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2018, 05:58 PM   #26 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
If we're wondering why Facebook suddenly decided to visit CA's office, it may have something to do with this announcement, from a couple of hours prior:

Twitter
Dakota Tebaldi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:58 PM   #27 (permalink)
bunneh

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 2006
Client: Firestorm and Project Bento

Poor, poor Mr Zuckerberg.
"Separated lovers cheat absence by a thousand fancies which have their own reality. They are prevented from seeing one another and they cannot write; nevertheless they find countless mysterious ways of corresponding, by sending each other the song of birds, the scent of flowers, the laughter of children, the light of the sun, the sighing of the wind, and the gleam of the stars - all the beauties of creation." -- Victor Hugo
Porsupah Ree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:00 PM   #28 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsupah Ree View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/19/t...ex-stamos.html

I'm seeing claims on Reddit that Facebook employees are at the CA offices now, having been let in by CA. I'm sure they're just popping round for a nice cup of tea.
I think this is who they are:
Quote:
In statement Facebook said: “We have hired a digital forensics firm, Stroz Friedberg, to conduct a comprehensive audit of Cambridge Analytica. Cambridge Analytica has agreed to comply and afford the firm complete access to their servers and systems. We remain committed to vigorously enforcing our policies to protect people’s information.”
https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...idge-analytica

However,
Twitter
Innula Zenovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:24 PM   #29 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: June 2007
Client: Firestorm

I'm kinda surprised the whole thing has taken this long. Though I am also just as surprised that something is 'apparently' being done.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 03-19-2018, 06:53 PM   #30 (permalink)
*blink*

Vatican mole

My Mood:

This is why I only have a token presence on Facebook. I knew something like this would happen.

F*cking Libertarian cyber-A$$H*ts.

You can wish-list items and return to SLU to purchase through the affiliate link.
Note: Some people refuse to buy from Amazon due to predatory tactics against publishers as noted here and here by Jacqueline Trudeau.
Soen Eber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:14 PM   #31 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

I have a straw Facebook account that is mostly just to let me watch Facebook videos or see posts if someone links to them. It doesn't have my real name attached. I don't communicate with other people using it.

FWIW, even with a fake name, it still somehow recommends people I have a RL connection with as potential friends.
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-19-2018, 07:43 PM   #32 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 3/9/2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Tebaldi View Post
I have a straw Facebook account that is mostly just to let me watch Facebook videos or see posts if someone links to them. It doesn't have my real name attached. I don't communicate with other people using it.

FWIW, even with a fake name, it still somehow recommends people I have a RL connection with as potential friends.
I started an SL Facebook account, in a private tab with my seperate email.

The top recomended friend was my RL FB account.

So I deleted it.

http://allaroundthegrid.blogspot.com/
Ramen Jedburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:47 PM   #33 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramen Jedburgh View Post

So I deleted it.
...that's creepy.
TrollCampFollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:38 PM   #34 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabeau Imako View Post
They may lose many N.American and European customers, i.e. many people will simply stop or change the way they have been using FB, but I many around the world will keep on using it because it's what they're used to.

This Time, Facebook Really Might Be Fucked - Gizmodo
Technology-wise facebook does not have anything unique. People can and will write better social networks. Yes, they have brand recognition and links all over and content but all of that is solely due to one thing: so many people that use the internet have accounts there. If a large group of people started signing up for something else it would snowball with more and more people leaving each day until FB was forced to all but shut down.

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:43 PM   #35 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innula Zenovka View Post
I think, at least in Europe (which still includes the UK) they may find themselves subject to a much tighter regulatory regime -- there is talk about requiring them to default users' privacy settings to maximum privacy, for example, and then let users choose what to reveal about themselves and to whom.
You probably also want finer controls too. For example, you may want information be able to be seen by some family members but not others .... but other information to be known by yet another subgroup. Or allow close friends to look you up with your phone number but nobody beyond that.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:46 PM   #36 (permalink)
Tainted Tigar

I'm sawrry, but I dun' prey taht wai!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: July 5, 2006
Client: Dun' compromise mai privacies!

I never ever started a facefuck account, my family said I was paranoid when I told them that they weren’t the customers, you’re the product.

Things friends have said:
_wonders why Dickie's auto-correct hasn't given up entirely yet_
"I think gumbo is just a bucket of swamp water boiled with anything that swam or crawled in"
Dickie Swansong is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-19-2018, 08:48 PM   #37 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Spengler View Post
Technology-wise facebook does not have anything unique. People can and will write better social networks. Yes, they have brand recognition and links all over and content but all of that is solely due to one thing: so many people that use the internet have accounts there. If a large group of people started signing up for something else it would snowball with more and more people leaving each day until FB was forced to all but shut down.
facebook's superior head count is no small thing. If there is one thing I learned from exploring dating sites, it's that having a critical mass of users is more important than the quality of the platform. An infinitely superior social network has no hope of competing with facebook without some really big investments into marketing.

Google Plus failed miserably at taking down facebook even with vast resources and technology. I'm not sure that enough people are mad at facebook to take it down.
TrollCampFollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:48 PM   #38 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:

So I deleted it.
Twitter does that. It recommends my alts to follow my main account. It also recommends my main account to follow donnie.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:51 PM   #39 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollCampFollower View Post
facebook's superior head count is no small thing. If there is one thing I learned from exploring dating sites, it's that having a critical mass of users is more important than the quality of the platform. An infinitely superior social network has no hope of competing with facebook without some really big investments into marketing.

Google Plus failed miserably at taking down facebook even with vast resources and technology. I'm not sure that enough people are mad at facebook to take it down.
Exactly, which is why something that might start that ball rolling has to be something for them to pay attention to.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:26 PM   #40 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
Brenda the Civil Disobedience Pluto explains what all the fuss is about.

Innula Zenovka is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Laughed:
Old 03-19-2018, 11:11 PM   #41 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

Singing along with old music

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Oct 4 2009
Business: Moondrops ; Tempus Fugit; Faerycat Designs; sPunk
I have a FB account [technically 4? I used to play a lot of FB games - fourth account is simply to have one without any game stuff on it, and only people I know.

I use it to comment on posts that appeal to me, and to follow people who are friends that I don't get to see often.

Aribeth Zelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 12:18 AM   #42 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Facebook suspends CA whistleblower's account

WhatsApp and Instagram accounts gone too. Vindictive.
1 User Said WTF?:
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-20-2018, 12:55 AM   #43 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 01/15/07
Hearing Nix from CA talking about how they would videotape the person to use it againts them (kompromat) while being filmed by Channel 4 was priceless...

I hope this is the beginning of the end of FB.
Joodle Fadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:28 AM   #44 (permalink)
Tainted Tigar

I'm sawrry, but I dun' prey taht wai!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: July 5, 2006
Client: Dun' compromise mai privacies!

Ted Cruz

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/poli...facebook-users

Quote:
WASHINGTON — Sen. Ted Cruz is under fire for his connections with a voter targeting firm that used data taken from 50 million Facebook users without their knowledge.
Dickie Swansong is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 03-20-2018, 06:13 AM   #45 (permalink)

Building Better Worlds since 1979

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jun 27, 2006
Client: 7 of them (I like testing)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Tebaldi View Post
That's because of all the Faceborg cookies and links on all the other pages on the web. They can track your activity and build a profile, then guess who you are connected with. You may as well get the tee-shirt

DanielRavenNest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 06:21 AM   #46 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Spengler View Post
You probably also want finer controls too. For example, you may want information be able to be seen by some family members but not others .... but other information to be known by yet another subgroup. Or allow close friends to look you up with your phone number but nobody beyond that.
Google+ sort of has this feature with "Circles". You can have different settings for Friends, Family, Aquaintances, Assholes (I created that circle for a special few people). It's not very robust in terms of the settings available, but ideally you would set up each circle with the settings you want, then assign people to them, and they inherit the settings. That would be better than a mass group of "friends" with no fine-grained controls.
2 Users Agreed:
Old 03-20-2018, 06:32 AM   #47 (permalink)

My Mood:
Gee, I wonder of Cambridge Analytica turns out to be the "collusion" thread that Trump keeps saying wasn't there? First, Bannon was so involved with CA, he gave it their name. Next, they targeted ads and posts using Facebook data. If someone can show the Russian troll farm got their marching orders using that data, there there's your link. At the least they are a British company that influenced US elections, which in most cases is illegal.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:40 AM   #48 (permalink)
The Purple

Adoring goats.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 20. January 2007
Client: NaCl
Quote:

So I deleted it.
Quote:
...that's creepy.
It's actually probably the simplest form of tracking: Same private ISP IP.

If Ramen used her RL FB account from that IP at the same day (or last few days in case of a known static-IP range), and then uses the SL FB in a private/incognito tab, the IP doesn't change as that is nothing a private tab can help with.

Then FB just goes 'Oh, different account from the same household. Probably a family member, let's suggest other household members first.'
2 Users Agreed:
Old 03-20-2018, 08:16 AM   #49 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 3/9/2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalice Yao View Post
It's actually probably the simplest form of tracking: Same private ISP IP.

If Ramen used her RL FB account from that IP at the same day (or last few days in case of a known static-IP range), and then uses the SL FB in a private/incognito tab, the IP doesn't change as that is nothing a private tab can help with.

Then FB just goes 'Oh, different account from the same household. Probably a family member, let's suggest other household members first.'
Except there are 5 people in my house who all use Facebook (not counting accounts I have and don't use for a couple of cats, when FB games were a thing).

I guess it was probably some level of luck of the draw to get myself on top.
Ramen Jedburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:39 AM   #50 (permalink)
state of non-being

The maple kind?

My Mood:
Quote:

It would be nice if there were something to replace FB with before it crashes! There are millions of people and small business who rely on it for communications. They would be seriously hurt by an abrupt shutdown with no alternative in place to reach customers and other users.
Ambiguous is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed: