Diabetes is actually five separate diseases, research suggests - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » Diabetes is actually five separate diseases, research suggests

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2018, 10:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: July 2003
Diabetes is actually five separate diseases, research suggests

Quote:
Scientists say diabetes is five separate diseases, and treatment could be tailored to each form.
Diabetes - or uncontrolled blood sugar levels - is normally split into type 1 and type 2.
But researchers in Sweden and Finland think the more complicated picture they have uncovered will usher in an era of personalised medicine for diabetes.
Experts said the study was a herald of the future of diabetes care but changes to treatment would not be immediate.
Diabetes affects about one in 11 adults worldwide and increases the risk of heart attack, stroke, blindness, kidney failure and limb amputation.
Type 1 diabetes is a disease of the immune system, which affects around 10% of people with the condition in the UK. It errantly attacks the body's insulin factories (beta-cells) so there is not enough of the hormone to control blood sugar levels.
Type 2 diabetes is largely seen as a disease of poor lifestyle as body fat can affect the way the insulin works.
Diabetes is actually five separate diseases, research suggests - BBC News
stora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Just another muppet

*SLU Supporter*

Eh ?

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Spring 2007
Client: standard
Type 2 diabetes is not only a lifestyle thingy.
Two people with the same lifestyle: One can get it, the other not.
It is a highly hereditary pain in the a$$ .... eh .... disease/condition?

Lifestyle affects mainly, if you are gonna get the symptoms earlier or later in life and how much it will affect you.
I can walk on my hands, run like a horse, regulate the amount of carbs, reduce body weigth, but I'd still be diabetic. Even if the symptoms would disappear for (a few) years. In the end it will get me, somehow.

My grandmother was a small skinny active woman all her life.
She still died because of diabetes type II complications.

Last edited by Sid II; 03-05-2018 at 11:29 AM.
Sid II is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 03-05-2018, 11:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

Singing along with old music

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Oct 4 2009
Business: Moondrops ; Tempus Fugit; Faerycat Designs; sPunk
Client: Firestorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid II View Post

Yup, my mom has always been even more overweight than I am, and she doesn't have it. My dad did have it, and he was thinner. Her best friend has it and she's a tiny woman.

Our housemate is shorter and heavier than the two diabetics in the house, and he doesn't have it either.

Aribeth Zelin is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Said Thanks :
Old 03-05-2018, 11:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

Nevertheless, she persisted.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May, 2005

Awards: 4
Special Achievement In Creepy Avatar Threads 
I've never been more than 10 pounds over ideal weight my entire life (back to recommended weight now), but most of my family on my Mom's side has been diabetic. I was diagnosed Type 2 7 years ago and control it with medication. It's never been about "poor lifestyle choices".

I had a great aunt who lost both legs to amputation. My Mother died from heart failure largely blamed on her own diabetes. This is anecdotal, but I do think my own diabetes is hereditary.

The OP article, though, does break the Types down into sub categories with alternative treatment strategies. I like that. However, it's not always about obesity.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

What time is it?

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2007
Yep, my paternal grandmother had it. She went blind and eventually died from complications (heart failure).

She was around 100 lbs soaking wet.
Jolene Benoir is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-05-2018, 01:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Quote:

Lifestyle affects mainly, if you are gonna get the symptoms earlier or later in life and how much it will affect you.
I can walk on my hands, run like a horse, regulate the amount of carbs, reduce body weigth, but I'd still be diabetic. Even if the symptoms would disappear for (a few) years. In the end it will get me, somehow.

Yes, 'lifestyle' is not the best term here. It implies people are making the wrong choices however you often see it among poor populations .... yes, a bad 'lifestyle' but it is not like they have an option.

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 04:55 AM   #7 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*
*Poof!*

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
The problem is the push in the media and the general medical profession that being overweight is the problem with getting diabetes. If i followed the general diet advice regarding calorie control and weight loss for diebetics i'd be severely dysfunctional with an eating disorder!

Try putting on weight with one of the diabetic diets? It doesn't work. I've had to find my way through and treat my condition as a special case all along. Thank fuck my docs agree and are actually listening to me when i tell them what works and what doesn't work.
OrinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrinB View Post

Try putting on weight with one of the diabetic diets? It doesn't work. I've had to find my way through and treat my condition as a special case all along. Thank fuck my docs agree and are actually listening to me when i tell them what works and what doesn't work.
Let them put you on insulin - then you'd gain weight.

But yes, I'm glad my primary care listens to me too - I'm approved for doing keto, which supposedly can reverse diabetes - it worked for a housemate.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 03-06-2018, 06:00 AM   #9 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*
*Poof!*

I'm already on diabetic medication that is meant to add weight as a side effect... doesn't do it for me though!
OrinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:34 AM   #10 (permalink)
Just another muppet

*SLU Supporter*

Eh ?

My Mood:
Yes, overweight and the amount of physical activity have influence on diabetes, but they are not the trigger IMHO.

What people who don't have it, tend to forget is that obesity is a food addiction.
An addiction just like with drugs, alcohol and nicotine.
All of these can only stay under control when one completely stops using the drug, alcohol or cigarettes. Completely!
Problem with obesity is: One can have plenty of will power, but one can not stop with eating completely, for obvious reasons. So failure is almost mandatory.
It is not for nothing that over 90% of all diets fail in the end.
People with a slight overweight know how hard it is to follow a diet for a few weeks.
For people with obesity it is almost totally impossible to control the addiction life long.
My weight went up and down like the mountains in Switzerland, all my life.

And now: No more diets for me.
I have a few basic rules:
- strict use of the insulin regulation procedures
- no sugar bombs like soda's.
- chocolate, cookies, candy bars, chips not more than every now and then. Certainly not on a daily base.
- for the rest: I eat whatever I feel like, but in civilized portions.

And hey, it somehow works:
Glucose levels in my blood are pretty much okay. HbA1C around 50 (for the insiders )
Weight has a slight downwards tendency. I lost 7 kg over the last year.
My mindset has improved. It takes enough brain power to control the sugar levels every day, without diet sorrows.

Diabetes is still slowly wrecking my eyes though.
Next months yet another laser treatment in my left eye and a serie of injections in my right one.
Yay.

Last edited by Sid II; 03-06-2018 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Small improvements
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Disagreed:
Old 03-06-2018, 06:48 AM   #11 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Diets to lose weight seem to be designed for people without health conditions. I have epilepsy. Since stress is my major trigger dieting and exercise are things to be careful of.
1 User Said Thanks:
2 Users Agreed:
Old 03-06-2018, 08:20 AM   #12 (permalink)
Crazy Cat Lady

Flor-i-duh

My Mood:
Quote:

I am very dubious about the whole "lifestyle" accusation leveled at anyone with a disease.

Lifestyle may help recovery, but I don't think that it prevents it at all. In fact, from what I've seen in my family, they gained the weight AFTER their doctors realized they had diabetes. For my brothers, it started with slow healing, then exhaustion and then weight gain.

We were always very conscious of sugar consumption because both our parents were diabetics. Both my brothers have been diagnosed with it and right now I'm hypoglycemic and have been warned that I probably have a year or less before I have to go on medication for it.

There are a lot of people out there that really like to blame people for the disease they get. "Oh you have diabetes, you must be a glutton or oh, you have cancer you must have done something like smoke to get it. Even if you've never smoked a day in your life."

We are living a lot longer that our ancestors did and as the body ages, it breaks down in multiple different ways depending on genetics. I'm glad to see the medical community have started looking in other directions instead of just blaming people for their "lifestyles".
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 03-06-2018, 08:58 AM   #13 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

My Mood:
Quote:
Yes, overweight and the amount of physical activity have influence on diabetes, but they are not the trigger IMHO.

What people who don't have it, tend to forget is that obesity is a food addiction.
Except, its not. I can take or leave food except when hungry. I can't lose weight because of the insulin [and I gained 10 pounds since I had to raise it], and I only have all the weight i do have because of having been on birth control.

I exercise when I can, watch what I eat, and have still managed to get to 245 - luckily I'm tall.

Thing is, there are health conditions that can make you gain weight, and there are medications that can too.

*about that birth control - I gained 75 pounds in 6 months the last time I was on the pill. The problem with my iud was that it still had low levels of those same hormones.
2 Users Hugged You:
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 03-06-2018, 10:03 AM   #14 (permalink)
Just another muppet

*SLU Supporter*

Eh ?

My Mood:
You are right.
I should have written:
What people who don't have it, tend to forget is that obesity can be a food addiction.
There are other factors that can trigger it. Like a dysfunction of the thyroid or other hormone problems.

Medical issues are seldom simple and straight forward to solve.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 03-06-2018, 11:44 AM   #15 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Medical issues are seldom simple and straight forward to solve.
Yes, if they were we would not need doctors. Just look up your problem in some All Knowing Tome of Medical Knowledge (tm) and it will tell you what to do. Most people have other conditions (even minor ones), different tolerances for specific medicines, varying metabolisms, and so on.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:24 PM   #16 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

Nevertheless, she persisted.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May, 2005

Awards: 4
Special Achievement In Creepy Avatar Threads 
My diabetic meds were no longer working, so my nutritionist put me on Trulicity, which is meant to "kick start" my pancreas. He explained to me that my pancreas is just worn out and won't produce insulin any more, nor respond to medications.

I have to inject it in my stomach, which isn't as bad as it sounds, but my problem is that once these free samples run out the injections go for over $1,000 a week. No way I can afford that!
Cindy Claveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 01:36 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crazy Cat Lady

Flor-i-duh

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy Claveau View Post
My diabetic meds were no longer working, so my nutritionist put me on Trulicity, which is meant to "kick start" my pancreas. He explained to me that my pancreas is just worn out and won't produce insulin any more, nor respond to medications.

I have to inject it in my stomach, which isn't as bad as it sounds, but my problem is that once these free samples run out the injections go for over $1,000 a week. No way I can afford that!
Wow! - and I can't imagine that insurance will pay for it either. I had that same struggle with meds they wanted to give me for epilepsy. My doctor was livid because they tired to substitute something else and in fact, it was addictive but what my doctor prescribed was not.

Big Pharma doing stuff like this actually inhibits progress in medicine. It's reprehensible and really they should be regulated. I understand they need to recoup their losses but IMHO medicine should be non-profit and the government (that's we the people) should fund it and we should fund research.
Rose Karuna is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Hugged You:
3 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Likes This:
Old 03-06-2018, 06:12 PM   #18 (permalink)
Lysistrata Worked

Stupid should hurt.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Nov. 12, 2006
especially the money they spend on the flashy commercials, they spend more on advertising than they do on research.
Merlynn D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:33 PM   #19 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/20/2008
Client: LL Viewer V3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlynn D View Post
especially the money they spend on the flashy commercials, they spend more on advertising than they do on research.

There was a time not too long ago when pharma companies were barred from advertising on television. Now, I can't even watch the evening news without getting bombarded with tons of ads for all sorts of drugs. I think we should go back to the days when they weren't allowed to advertise outside of medical periodicals. Perhaps the money they don't spend on all the flashy commercials could go toward reducing the cost of their damned meds.

Katheryne Helendale is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 03-07-2018, 11:15 PM   #20 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 3/9/2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katheryne Helendale View Post

There was a time not too long ago when pharma companies were barred from advertising on television. Now, I can't even watch the evening news without getting bombarded with tons of ads for all sorts of drugs. I think we should go back to the days when they weren't allowed to advertise outside of medical periodicals. Perhaps the money they don't spend on all the flashy commercials could go toward reducing the cost of their damned meds.
*Piano music*
{Scene, young woman in a field with kids, cut to older colored man looking hopeful}

Ask your doctor about, Xethoprosta,
{Shot of woman playing with a puppy}

a treatment for mild to severe prolapse.
{Elderly man hugs grandchildren who run up to him}
{Continuenwith happy music and shots of people exercising and being happy with family duringndisclamer}
XethoprostaIsNotForEveryoneDoNotTakeXethoprostaIfY ouArePregnantOrNursingOrMayBecomePregnantSideEffec tsMayIncludeProplapseDepressionsSuicidalThoughtsKi dneyFailureDeath

*Happy music flourishes*
{Queue logo on white background}
Xethoprosta, making things better.

http://allaroundthegrid.blogspot.com/
Ramen Jedburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 01:28 AM   #21 (permalink)
Nemo me impune lacessit

*SLU Supporter*

We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation. -Voltaire

My Mood:
Business: Radio Free Darkmere

Most Erotic Salma Hayek Youtube Clip 
Lucifer Baphomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 05:45 AM   #22 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Karuna View Post
Wow! - and I can't imagine that insurance will pay for it either. I had that same struggle with meds they wanted to give me for epilepsy. My doctor was livid because they tired to substitute something else and in fact, it was addictive but what my doctor prescribed was not.

Big Pharma doing stuff like this actually inhibits progress in medicine. It's reprehensible and really they should be regulated. I understand they need to recoup their losses but IMHO medicine should be non-profit and the government (that's we the people) should fund it and we should fund research.
Yeah, every once in awhile I will find out what they are charging for my epilepsy meds. It is not like I am getting them for free but their cost alone more than makes up for my insurance!

I get frustrated when they randomly ship me generics instead of what the doctor actually prescribed because they are worse than useless. Pretty much guaranteed to set off a seizure. Oh sure, they will scream up and down they are the same active ingredient but brain conditions are one of the few times where the inactive ingredients matter. Changing them is like completely changing your regime, which often sets off seizures in people taking AEDs.
2 Users Agreed:
Old 03-08-2018, 05:48 AM   #23 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlynn D View Post
I was just thinking of their commercials last night. If you did not listen to what they were saying over it how often do the pictures in the ad have much to do with that specific drug? Usually they are just some generic shots of someone happy after taking the medicine and you have no idea what their problem was before it.
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-08-2018, 09:32 AM   #24 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

My Mood:
Every medical professional I've known would -love- to see those damn commercials go away.

Also, on the diabetes front, this keto diet seems to be working - lowered insulin dose by 26 units and my fasting this morning was better than its been in months. [When I found out that I couldn't take my pills and had to rely on insulin alone]
Old 03-09-2018, 05:31 AM   #25 (permalink)
Squirrelly

Pancakes for all!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 24, 2006
Client: Frestorm, Singularity, Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolene Benoir View Post
Yep, my paternal grandmother had it. She went blind and eventually died from complications (heart failure).

She was around 100 lbs soaking wet.
Same here.
Beezle Warburton is offline   Reply With Quote