Help me understand Unitarianism - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » Help me understand Unitarianism

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2018, 03:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Help me understand Unitarianism

I was considering having the word in the title be Unitariansim but no.

Is it better than libertariansim? Or Catholicism? Buddhism? Atheism? A prism? I don't know. It is the "religion" I most identify with partly for family historical reasons.
Wanda Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 04:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Unitarianism originally started as a Christian denomination that believed Jesus was an important person and possibly a mortal son of God (depending on the sect), but wasn't literally another form of God himself - as contrasted with the doctrine of the Trinity that prevails mostly in Christianity today.

But nowadays, Unitarianism is mostly noted as the first part of Unitarian-Universalism which is an organized religious observance without a real theology; its members have churches or other gathering places and hold services, but the creed is that all religious beliefs have a measure of validity, as well as social and cultural value. The belief in this universalist creed is what defines UU congregations, whose individual members commonly consider themselves to be both "other religion X" as well as Unitarian-Universalist. So you have Christians and Buddhists and pagans and atheists and so on and so on all choosing to gather as part of this third group which includes them all.

UU members tend to be politically and socially liberal, not libertarian. Services can include readings from any sacred text of any religion, or talks on completely secular topics. One time I went to a UU service and the "sermon" was basically a short biography of Pete Seeger and his protest music. The pastor actually played a couple of songs on a guitar, it was crazy.

The one thing though about Unitarian-Universalism is that it is serious about the nonjudgmental inclusivity thing, and that means a given service can sometimes end up uncritically dwelling on "woo" or pseudoscientific topics or beliefs.
Dakota Tebaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 02-28-2018, 04:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
*blink*

Vatican mole

My Mood:

No one had invented TED talks yet when UU was formed.

You can wish-list items and return to SLU to purchase through the affiliate link.
Note: Some people refuse to buy from Amazon due to predatory tactics against publishers as noted here and here by Jacqueline Trudeau.

Last edited by Soen Eber; 02-28-2018 at 04:28 PM.
Soen Eber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 04:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

Head of the SLU Troll Tax Administration

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2006
Client: Firestorm

The 2 Millionth Post Award 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Tebaldi View Post
Unitarianism ....
Thanks, that's actually one of the best and most practical descriptions of Unitarianism that I've read.

I was raised Unitarian, and I often refer to myself (somewhat tongue-in-cheek) as a lapsed Unitarian. I haven't attended services in decades, but the basic liberal bent and "live and let live" philosophy of mine comes straight from what I saw in action in my Unitarian Church.

You can basically believe in just about anything, or be an outright atheist like me, and still be Unitarian. It's about the journey, not the answers.

Congregations can vary widely, precisely because UUs are so inclusive, but in my experience they veered strongly to white, college-educated, non-observant Judeo-Christian professionals. The UU Church of my childhood, in Austin, Texas, drew heavily from the University of Texas for its membership. For those kids who liked school and classroom learning, going to UU church was like an extra day of school, but with music and cookies.

When I retire, I plan on going back. I won't need Sundays for sleeping late and the socializing will keep me from becoming a misanthropic hermit.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebo Brink View Post
I won't need Sundays for sleeping late and the socializing will keep me from becoming a misanthropic hermit.
You say that as if you think being a misanthropic hermit is a bad thing.
Innula Zenovka is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Yay!:
1 User Likes This:
Old 02-28-2018, 05:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Unitarism is probably the most non-offensive religion that exists in the western world, encompaing pretty much every creed. The joke you were making is not far off but not quite -> it is as if it were second life, providing the toolbox, and the various religions/nonreligions each formed their own sim.

My in-laws, both of whom are Athiests, go to one. The same one actually that my wife and I got married at.

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 02-28-2018, 05:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

What do you get if you cross a Unitarian with a Jehovah's Witness?

Someone who knocks on your door for no apparent reason (Badum)

But in reality I help them with their newsletter and might get involved with some people who have transportation issues needing to get to court or some place. I like what my church is trying to do.
Old 02-28-2018, 06:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/20/2008
Client: LL Viewer V3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innula Zenovka View Post
You say that as if you think being a misanthropic hermit is a bad thing.
Seems perfectly healthy to me, especially these days.

Katheryne Helendale is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 02-28-2018, 06:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

I'm mostly blah blahing since I can't really do anything given my health and my father's but...

The UU Church here really could be an agent of change here in S NJ more than most organizations. They are already to some degree.

There is only one way to "fix" this country and that is from the ground up. This church has the qualities where they could have a lot of influence but they aren't really there yet.
Old 02-28-2018, 06:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

To amplify what Dakota said, Unitarians originally were named after their belief that the God in Christian tradition is not a trinity, but a single entity, "unifying" all attributes of the Godhead in that one entity. Accordingly, although they regarded Christ as an important prophet inspired by God, they did not worship him as any sort of god or aspect of one.

The previous paragraph is in the past tense because I'm not sure how many actual "Unitarian" congregations remain. Time marches on, and it has pretty much stomped on the original Unitarian belief system, in favor of the liberal-with-white-Christian-roots Unitarian Universalist churches that are so much more familiar.

Our largest local UU congregation says it's one of the largest in the country, and is a major bulwark of liberal activism. They are amazingly upbeat and organized, which is great to see, even though they sometimes espouse such cringeworthy activism as a lecture about the "White Ally Toolkit". Save me, humanists!
Nika Talaj is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 02-28-2018, 10:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

Singing along with old music

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Oct 4 2009
Business: Moondrops ; Tempus Fugit; Faerycat Designs; sPunk
Client: Firestorm
The UU church I did go to, got 'threatened' with Lightning from God [as in, I'm surprised God hasn't struck them down, blahblahblah] because one of the guest Speakers was an Atheist.

And I know we had some in the congregation. We also had a big group of pagans.

Aribeth Zelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 10:59 PM   #12 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Yeah...a kids' play at a UU church in Tennessee was also shot up by some lunatic in 2008 because he wanted to kill "liberals and Democrats who were destroying the country" or something.
Dakota Tebaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 02-28-2018, 11:02 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tired

Watery

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 4/28/2005
It's a good fit for me because I'm half Humanist and half Pagan, with a Humanist ethical system. The shared principles are the most important part of it to me. If for some reason I couldn't access the UU I might go to an equally liberal and activist church like UCC.

The tendency to have a narrow range of class, race and sometimes age, is a limiting factor. Rather than try to be too much more of all things to all people, it might be better to do even more to support umbrella activisms of coalitions of liberal religions and Humanists. I say this because people who need a set dogma and those who don't need different things from a church, but the same things from community.
Brenda Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:46 AM   #14 (permalink)
Crazy Cat Lady

Flor-i-duh

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Spengler View Post
Unitarism is probably the most non-offensive religion that exists in the western world, encompaing pretty much every creed. The joke you were making is not far off but not quite -> it is as if it were second life, providing the toolbox, and the various religions/nonreligions each formed their own sim.

My in-laws, both of whom are Athiests, go to one. The same one actually that my wife and I got married at.
I'm an Atheist who attends a UU church. We have members who are Pagan, Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Quaker, Hindu, Buddhist and many others. I personally fall into the category of humanist. As far as I can see, their only requirement is respect and tolerance of others and a sincere desire to make life on earth better for everyone.

The reason that I attend is that working with this group of UU people, gives me a great avenue into my community and the ability to help my community.

They take in homeless families, feed the homeless, help families find shelter and jobs and just in general do a lot to help others.

I appreciate being a cog in this wheel.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Hmm, thinking about getting involved with my in-laws UU church (I am not sure if they still go or not). A few logistical issues though, one is to find out if any sessions are signed so my wife can go (and obviously ask if she wants to be involved) and the next is that I like sleeping in on Sundays.
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This: