WTF Florida School Shooting Spawns Numerous Copycat Threats - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » WTF? Florida School Shooting Spawns Numerous Copycat Threats

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2018, 09:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/20/2008
Client: LL Viewer V3

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Florida School Shooting Spawns Numerous Copycat Threats

I would really like to know what the fuck is wrong with kids today. What possesses a child - middle school students in some cases - to post school shooting threats on social media, especially after a horrific shooting?

There's been a number of threats made around California's Central Valley, particularly here in Tulare County. Most of these threats turn out to be hoaxes, but there have been a few students in my area where police found weapons in their houses.

8 Tulare County students arrested after school shooting threats

(Full article on Evernote, since site has a paywall that requires answering a couple of survey questions to get around).

(Edit: Removed quoted article to keep Cris out of trouble)

Last edited by Katheryne Helendale; 02-26-2018 at 09:12 PM.
Katheryne Helendale is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 02-26-2018, 09:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

Singing along with old music

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Oct 4 2009
Business: Moondrops ; Tempus Fugit; Faerycat Designs; sPunk
Client: Firestorm
One day last week, maybe? We had a threat at an area middle school, the high school my spouse had gone to, and the local state college. In one day.

And that same day, people I know mentioned the same problem -that day-, in NH, Missouri, and I want to say Washington State or Oregon?

And those are just the ones I heard of, in that -one day-.

Aribeth Zelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 10:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

They're doing it because they don't expect to face any meaningful consequences, and plan to brag to their friends about having done it after they eventually return to school (or to new friends if they are forced to transfer to a different school). In other words, it's trolling for its own sake.
Dakota Tebaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Disagreed:
Old 02-27-2018, 07:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
It is common after an incident like this.

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 02-27-2018, 09:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:

Again, in my neck of the woods:

Student, 16, arrested after bringing a gun to Lemoore High School | KMPH

*headdesk*

If there's a Dipshit of the Year award, this father-son duo just won it in spades.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
The Purple

Adoring goats.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 20. January 2007
Client: NaCl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katheryne Helendale View Post
What possesses a child - middle school students in some cases - to post school shooting threats on social media, especially after a horrific shooting?
Pretty much the inherent mental immaturity and empathic disconnect that comes with them being children of a certain age.
Some of the shit we found funny at that time would make me facepalm hard today.

I'd be more baffled if it was an adult doing it. But children of that age, on average? Nah. Not suprised.
I'm more angry at those that resort to actual physical bullying, but even that isn't exactly unnatural behavior at that age. However that's definitely something that can be prevented with proper upbringing - simply because they can relate more to the sensation and consequence.

A silly "lol let's post this!" idea? Not so much. The result and consequence are too abstract. Quickly typed, giggled about in an immature fit of group stupid, done.

Last edited by Chalice Yao; 02-28-2018 at 06:46 AM. Reason: Typo!
Chalice Yao is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
3 Users Agreed:
Old 02-28-2018, 05:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

Head of the SLU Troll Tax Administration

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2006

The 2 Millionth Post Award 
The only difference between "kids today" and kids from any age before this is that our kids have a social media megaphone in their hands.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebo Brink View Post
The only difference between "kids today" and kids from any age before this is that our kids have a social media megaphone in their hands.
That is true. But I think it goes a bit deeper. The level of mischievousness between the generations are different. Maybe it's just selective memory on my part, but I like to think kids from back when we were their age considered threatening schools with shootings, even as just a prank, as a bridge we just didn't cross; that we just knew that was going too far. The worst I saw was kids flushing cherry bombs down the school toilets. But, like I said, it could just be selective memory on my part.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Georgia teacher in custody after barricading himself inside high school classroom with gun
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 02-28-2018, 01:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Peeps Tsar

#imalwayswithher

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Dec 2002
Business: ANOmations
Client: Viewer 2
Send a message via Yahoo to Cristiano Send a message via Skype™ to Cristiano
There goes that talking point.

Cristiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 02:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristiano View Post
Nope. It will just get expanded to "Clearly we need to arm the students, too."
Innula Zenovka is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Laughed:
Old 02-28-2018, 02:39 PM   #12 (permalink)

My Mood:

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristiano View Post
"The only thing that can stop a bad scotsman teacher with a gun is a good teacher with a gun."
“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!” -- C. Johnson
detrius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 04:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

Head of the SLU Troll Tax Administration

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2006

The 2 Millionth Post Award 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katheryne Helendale View Post
That is true. But I think it goes a bit deeper. The level of mischievousness between the generations are different. Maybe it's just selective memory on my part....
Selective memory, but also just you're now facing greater exposure to the seamier side of life than before. It was out there, but we didn't see it unless it was right in front of us. Now, we hear what happens to a family in Florida or a guy in New York.

Fifty or a hundred years ago, you wouldn't know all the little details of what was happening in another city, another state. If there were death threats, you wouldn't know about them because they would not be publicized to the degree they are now. Only the most sensationalistic news got national coverage.

The end result of knowing so much more about so many people is that it FEELS local. It feels like a rising tide of meanness all around us, even though so little of it happens directly to us as we walk down the street.
Beebo Brink is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 02-28-2018, 05:06 PM   #14 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Georgia high school students falsely accuse fellow student of school shooting plot

Quote:
Some Peachtree Ridge High School students are in hot water after they made claims on social media that a classmate was planning to commit a violent act at the school — claims the school’s principal said were apparently made up.

Principal Jeff Mathews said the claims were made in a posting that included a photo of the student who was reportedly going to commit the alleged violent act. Once the post went live, it quickly spread throughout the student body, and students began expressing concerns to school officials, putting the Peachtree Ridge community on high alert.

Peachtree Ridge’s school resources officers quickly began an investigation into the claims.

“First, let me share that based on the information gathered in the investigation there does not appear to be any threat,” Mathews said in a letter to parents. “While that is certainly good news, what is extremely troubling is that it appears that a group of students used social media to implicate this student.”
1 User Said WTF?:
Old 02-28-2018, 05:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:

Oh, yay. Another form of swatting.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:09 PM   #16 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

An attack on a Michigan high school was prevented today when the would-be attacker's suspicious family members called police, who arrived at the family's home in the morning before he left for school, and found explosives and firearms in his backpack.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 03-21-2018, 09:05 AM   #17 (permalink)
Crazy Cat Lady

Flor-i-duh

My Mood:
How can anyone ignore this? Why in America is our right to own automatic weapons and hand guns so much more important than our children???? It defies common sense. The vitriol coming from an organization that began as a "gun safety training" is completely unacceptable. Dana Loesch, is not human, she's a monster, worse than Ann Coulter and I didn't think we could get worse than Ann.

March 20: Lexington Park, Maryland
An armed student shot two others at Great Mills High School before a school resource officer fired a round at the shooter. The shooter was killed.

March 13: Seaside, California
A teacher accidentally discharged a gun during a public safety class at Seaside High School, injuring a student.

March 8: Mobile, Alabama
One person was hospitalized after a shooting at an apartment building on the campus of the University of South Alabama.

March 7: Birmingham, Alabama
One student was killed and another critically wounded after an accidental shooting during dismissal time at Huffman High School. Police wouldn't elaborate further.

March 7: Jackson, Mississippi
A student was shot inside a dormitory at Jackson State University. His injuries were not life-threatening.

March 2: Mount Pleasant, Michigan
Two people were shot to death at a dormitory on the campus of Central Michigan University. The victims were not students and police think the incident stemmed from a domestic situation.

February 27: Norfolk, Virginia
A student at Norfolk State University was shot from an adjacent dorm room while he was doing homework. He was not seriously injured.

February 27: Itta Bena, Mississippi
A person was shot in a rec center at Mississippi Valley State University. Police said the person was not a student and the injury was not life-threatening.

February 24: Savannah, Georgia
A person was shot on the campus of Savannah State University and taken to a nearby hospital where he later died. Neither the victim nor the shooter were university students, the college said.

February 14: Parkland, Florida
A 19-year-old man gunned down students and staff with a rifle at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, slaughtering at least 17 unsuspecting students and adults. The shooter, Nikolas Cruz, had been expelled from the high school over disciplinary problems, officials said.

February 9: Nashville
A high school student was shot five times in the parking lot of Pearl-Cohn High School.

February 5: Oxon Hill, Maryland
A high school student was shot in the parking lot of Oxon Hill High. The victim was treated and later released. Police arrested two teens and said they are acquaintances of the victim.

February 1: Los Angeles
A 15-year-old boy was shot in the head and a 15-year-old girl shot in the wrist at Sal Castro Middle School in Los Angeles, officials said. Two other students were grazed by bullets. A 12-year-old girl was booked for negligent discharge of a firearm in that shooting, which was considered "unintentional," Los Angeles police said.

January 31: Philadelphia
A fight led to a shooting in the parking lot of Lincoln High School, fatally wounding a 32-year-old man.

January 23: Benton, Kentucky
A 15-year-old student shot 16 people -- killing two other 15-year-olds -- at Marshall County High School, authorities said. The student faces two charges of murder and 12 counts of first degree assault.

January 22: Italy, Texas
A 15-year-old student was wounded in a shooting at a high school in Italy, Texas, authorities said. The suspect, also 15, was quickly apprehended.

January 20: Winston Salem, North Carolina
A Winston-Salem State University football player, Najee Ali Baker, was shot to death at a party on the campus of Wake Forest University.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 03-21-2018, 10:11 AM   #18 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

Singing along with old music

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Oct 4 2009
Business: Moondrops ; Tempus Fugit; Faerycat Designs; sPunk
Considering that the GOP was -so- quick to act when it was a dog dying from airline negligence [which, I'm glad they are quick to act, but it says where those precious kids ranks compared to dogs - you know, the ones they trot out to pass anything they want, or want to force people to give birth to]
Aribeth Zelin is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 03-21-2018, 05:40 PM   #19 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebo Brink View Post
Selective memory, but also just you're now facing greater exposure to the seamier side of life than before. It was out there, but we didn't see it unless it was right in front of us. Now, we hear what happens to a family in Florida or a guy in New York.

Fifty or a hundred years ago, you wouldn't know all the little details of what was happening in another city, another state. If there were death threats, you wouldn't know about them because they would not be publicized to the degree they are now. Only the most sensationalistic news got national coverage.

The end result of knowing so much more about so many people is that it FEELS local. It feels like a rising tide of meanness all around us, even though so little of it happens directly to us as we walk down the street.
Yes, back in the 70s and 80s I could not picture this happening at my small schools. Then again, I did not have much knowledge of what was going on elsewhere until the web and social media became popular. Even with just the pre-web internet it was a lot of, well, nerds that were more alike than not alike, talking to each other rather than a diverse society. I think the flaw is discounting social media.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:43 PM   #20 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Karuna View Post
How can anyone ignore this? Why in America is our right to own automatic weapons and hand guns so much more important than our children???? It defies common sense. The vitriol coming from an organization that began as a "gun safety training" is completely unacceptable. Dana Loesch, is not human, she's a monster, worse than Ann Coulter and I didn't think we could get worse than Ann.

March 20: Lexington Park, Maryland
An armed student shot two others at Great Mills High School before a school resource officer fired a round at the shooter. The shooter was killed.
I am guessing if I google it there is probably a movement not to have the march for our lives this weekend because a shooting occurred near here recently. Despite the fact that it was specifically scheduled so far after the event (Parkland) to defuse the 'now is not the time' argument.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:56 PM   #21 (permalink)
Lost Bird

SL Join Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Karuna View Post
[...] Dana Loesch, is not human, she's a monster, worse than Ann Coulter and I didn't think we could get worse than Ann.
Brace yourself.

Believe or you will not see.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote