London City Airport closed after WWII bomb discovered - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » London City Airport closed after WWII bomb discovered

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2018, 03:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

Nevertheless, she persisted.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May, 2005
Client: Firestorm

Awards: 4
Special Achievement In Creepy Avatar Threads 
London City Airport closed after WWII bomb discovered

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/02/11/e...red/index.html

Quote:
London City Airport was closed on Sunday after construction workers discovered a World War II bomb in the nearby Thames River.

"Following the discovery of a World War II ordnance in King George V Dock as part of planned development works, a 214m exclusion zone has been implemented," the airport said in a statement. "As a result, London City Airport is currently closed."

Metropolitan police were called after the bomb was revealed. The Royal Navy was also deployed to the scene and confirmed the nature of the bomb, the police reported.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
The Royal Navy was also deployed to the scene and confirmed the nature of the bomb, the police reported.
"Amiable, but somewhat reserved."
Dakota Tebaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
An exclusion zone of 214m seems like an odd choice. Do people not like round numbers over there?

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Discount

Jesus is coming. Look busy!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: August 21, 2007
Client: Anything But 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Spengler View Post
An exclusion zone of 214m seems like an odd choice. Do people not like round numbers over there?
Translated into metric from "700 feet?"

U.S. Only
Casey Pelous is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 02-13-2018, 08:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Pelous View Post
Quote:
The 214 metre exclusion zone seems like a very precise number, but itís likely that itís because this converts to 700 feet recommended by authorities.
Where is London City Airport and where was the bomb found? | Metro News
Wanda Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
What I was wondering but you would think in all this time with using metric they would be a round number of metres, not feet. Maybe 1/4 a km?
Old 02-13-2018, 10:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
Not a Supervillian

Quo.

My Mood:
Quote:
What I was wondering but you would think in all this time with using metric they would be a round number of metres, not feet. Maybe 1/4 a km?
I suspect the information on the effective radius of WWII ordinance and procedures for UXB response was measured in feet. They found the appropriate information from the period and converted.

Modern bombs would explode in meters.

Et cum patronus tuus uerbo oportet causidicum, vos postulo causidicum.
Veritable Quandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:25 AM   #8 (permalink)

lesser spotted swivel eyed loon

My Mood:
Business: The Tiggerworks
Quote:
You think the UK uses metric? That's cute.

Metric has been resisted constantly, the number of people who still think in imperial is astonishing. We have mixed usage, we buy fuel in litres but drive in miles and measure fuel economy in miles per gallon (that's a different imperial gallon to the imperial gallon that the US uses). Beer is sold in pints but milk is sold in metric, it just happens that the metric amounts we sell milk in convert to exactly 1 pint (You can buy a .578 litre bottle of milk, otherwise known as 1 pint or anything up to 3.408 litre bottle)

I still know people who think that Metric and even decimal currency were forced on us by the EU.

People actually try to argue that imperial "just makes more sense" than metric.
Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Agreed:
Old 02-13-2018, 10:50 AM   #9 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger View Post

Metric has been resisted constantly, the number of people who still think in imperial is astonishing. We have mixed usage, we buy fuel in litres but drive in miles and measure fuel economy in miles per gallon (that's a different imperial gallon to the imperial gallon that the US uses). Beer is sold in pints but milk is sold in metric, it just happens that the metric amounts we sell milk in convert to exactly 1 pint (You can buy a .578 litre bottle of milk, otherwise known as 1 pint or anything up to 3.408 litre bottle)

I still know people who think that Metric and even decimal currency were forced on us by the EU.

When I was studying physics doing things in metric was just plain common sense. Even the constants were nicer. Take for example the acceleration due to gravity on earth (which kind of comes up a lot in undergrad physics problems). In imperial it is 32 feet per second per second. In metric it can be rounded off to 10 metres/s/s (9.78... actually, but 10 will do for a fast mental math estimate). Which number would you reach for if you had the choice? I never could understand the people who insist imperial is easier.
2 Users Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 02-13-2018, 02:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

Singing along with old music

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Oct 4 2009
Business: Moondrops ; Tempus Fugit; Faerycat Designs; sPunk
I much prefer metric and really don't know why we never switched to it when I was a kid - it was supposed to, iirc, but just never happened.

Aribeth Zelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 02:24 PM   #11 (permalink)

taking a break from reality

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Once upon a time.
We switched to metric in '73 and about the only places I hear imperial measurements used is in sayings, in pubs, and when talking about peoples heights.

Also, what's really scary about unexploded ordnance is that shipwreck in the Thames Estuary.
Originally Posted by Kamilah Hauptmann Well it started with some lolwut and some straight dope, but then someone used Snarcasm and it was Super Effective and then SLU was an evil hivemind culminating in attempted suicide by mod, now we're in the post mortem unless bro comes back for the sequel.
Ashiri is online now   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 02-13-2018, 03:01 PM   #12 (permalink)

Building Better Worlds since 1979

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jun 27, 2006
Client: 7 of them (I like testing)
Quote:
According to a Royal Navy spokesperson, the original Metropolitan Police report read "somebody set up us the bomb", to which they replied "All your base are belong to us".
DanielRavenNest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Discount

Jesus is coming. Look busy!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: August 21, 2007
Client: Anything But 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aribeth Zelin View Post
I much prefer metric and really don't know why we never switched to it when I was a kid - it was supposed to, iirc, but just never happened.
That would have been the mid-70's. Americans, known worldwide for their open-mindedness and eager as always to expand their knowledge of the world, rapidly embraced the far more sensible metric system and never looked back. () Actually, the reaction ranged from apathy to outrage. As usual. God, this country is SO dumb.

In large part, though, "metrication" failed because the manufacturers looked at the cost of manufacturing and maintaining a supply of imperial standard parts (1/4 inch x 1 inch bolts, 3/8 inch x 1 inch bolts, etc. to damn near infinity -- then the nuts, the washers, the lock washers, the brads, the cotter pins ...) and a supply of (newer) metric spare parts and were very dubious. Then they started thinking about bolting, say, a 1972 design imperial standard water pump design to a metric 1978 design engine block and said, "Aw, hell no." And that was pretty much that.

The tool and die costs alone would choke an elephant, never mind setting up multiple production lines and maintaining dual inventories.
Casey Pelous is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 02-13-2018, 03:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
Quote:

In most cases, however, imperial units have the advantage that they convert much more more readily to fractional values than do metric ones (its' a lot easier, and more accurate, to calculate 1/3rd of a yard or a foot than it is to calculate 1/3 of their metric equivalents).

I'm not saying that's a knock-down argument for using imperial measures but they do have their advantages.

I've bought milk and produce in multiples of a litre for ages, but I still fins it a lot easier to cook in Imperial unless I'm following a metric recipe.

Last edited by Innula Zenovka; 02-13-2018 at 06:09 PM.
Innula Zenovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:58 PM   #15 (permalink)

I wonder how many cup cakes one could make with 1000lbs of Amatol.
slepoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:24 PM   #16 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

Singing along with old music

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Oct 4 2009
Business: Moondrops ; Tempus Fugit; Faerycat Designs; sPunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innula Zenovka View Post
I've bought milk and produce in multiples of a litre for ages, but I still fins it a lot easier to cook in Imperial unless I'm following a metric recipe.
Honestly, it wouldn't matter for me. I tend to cook by the 'pinch of this, dash of this' measurement system. Though, loads of fun when I've found recipes in metric, because most of my dry measuring stuff is imperial, even if my wet measuring cups do have metric as well.
Aribeth Zelin is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 02-13-2018, 08:30 PM   #17 (permalink)

Building Better Worlds since 1979

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jun 27, 2006
Client: 7 of them (I like testing)
Quote:
My measuring cups have both cup and ml measures, so it is just as easy either way. For some reason US people have no problem with 2 liter soda bottles, while most other foods are in customary units.
DanielRavenNest is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 02-13-2018, 09:04 PM   #18 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Quote:
In large part, though, "metrication" failed because the manufacturers looked at the cost of manufacturing and maintaining a supply of imperial standard parts (1/4 inch x 1 inch bolts, 3/8 inch x 1 inch bolts, etc. to damn near infinity -- then the nuts, the washers, the lock washers, the brads, the cotter pins ...) and a supply of (newer) metric spare parts and were very dubious. Then they started thinking about bolting, say, a 1972 design imperial standard water pump design to a metric 1978 design engine block and said, "Aw, hell no." And that was pretty much that.
That in particular is becoming less and less of a problem over time.

I can't remember the last time I used one of my imperial wrenches, for example. My car - and the couple of friends' vehicles I most recently worked on before I stopped doing that because ugh - are all fully metric. Automotive engineers since the mid-90's have completely abandoned imperial; the only people who need to worry about it anymore are old parts warehousers, and professional mechanics who sometimes still have to work on old vehicles.
Dakota Tebaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 02-13-2018, 09:11 PM   #19 (permalink)
Not a Supervillian

Quo.

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielRavenNest View Post
My measuring cups have both cup and ml measures, so it is just as easy either way. For some reason US people have no problem with 2 liter soda bottles, while most other foods are in customary units.
We have adapted to 750ml wine bottles quite well.
Veritable Quandry is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 02-13-2018, 09:17 PM   #20 (permalink)
But it refused. <3

*SLU Supporter*

I'm a regular Victor Victoria

Quote:
That would have been the mid-70's. Americans, known worldwide for their open-mindedness and eager as always to expand their knowledge of the world, rapidly embraced the far more sensible metric system and never looked back. () Actually, the reaction ranged from apathy to outrage. As usual. God, this country is SO dumb.

The tool and die costs alone would choke an elephant, never mind setting up multiple production lines and maintaining dual inventories.

Jack Sparrow's fault.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:37 PM   #21 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Some people thought it was more difficult to add and subtract zeroes.

edit: Oh, and the fact that some units directly convert to other units without strange conversion factors.
1 User Agreed:
Old 02-14-2018, 12:45 AM   #22 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
Quote:
Honestly, it wouldn't matter for me. I tend to cook by the 'pinch of this, dash of this' measurement system. Though, loads of fun when I've found recipes in metric, because most of my dry measuring stuff is imperial, even if my wet measuring cups do have metric as well.
Me too, but I find it easier to work with Imperial when I'm having to calculate quantities in terms adding n% by weight of ingredient x to ingredient y.

And cooking times, of course. Most of the time, it's easier to calculate minutes/lb than minutes/fraction of kg.

But yes, most of my measuring stuff works for both metric and imperial, so it's not really an issue for me, either.
Innula Zenovka is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 02-14-2018, 01:24 AM   #23 (permalink)

lesser spotted swivel eyed loon

My Mood:
Business: The Tiggerworks
Quote:
In most cases, however, imperial units have the advantage that they convert much more more readily to fractional values than do metric ones (its' a lot easier, and more accurate, to calculate 1/3rd of a yard or a foot than it is to calculate 1/3 of their metric equivalents).

I'm not saying that's a knock-down argument for using imperial measures but they do have their advantages.

Metric: 1km = 1000m = 100000cm = 1000000mm
1/3rd of them 333m 33333cm 333333mm

Imperial: 1 league = 3 miles = 24 furlongs = 240chains = 5280yards = 15840feet = 190080 inches (because fuck you base 10)

1/3 of these values is easier than 1/3 of the metric? Really?

Anyway 1/3rd of a single unit which converts up in a multiple of 3 (12 inches) is kind of arbitrary. How about 1/5th of a foot, or 40% of 3 foot 6 or 1/3rd of a mile in feet

editted to add:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innula Zenovka
And cooking times, of course. Most of the time, it's easier to calculate minutes/lb than minutes/fraction of kg.
just ran to my fridge to check a joint of meat I had in there "30minutes per 500g plus 30 minutes". Is that really hard? 60 minutes per kg, 6 minutes per 100g. There was no imperial cooking time guide.

This is part of what I mean. People who think it's easier to divide two numbers, if the things they describe are measured in imperial. That is a very strange argument to me.

Last edited by Tigger; 02-14-2018 at 01:43 AM. Reason: cooking times
Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:27 AM   #24 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
This is part of what I mean. People who think it's easier to divide two numbers, if the things they describe are measured in imperial. That is a very strange argument to me.
Yes, if you had to rank divisors it is more common to run into a question that involves multiplying/dividing by 10 then the same by 3 or some other arbitrary number. Quick! What is a foot divided by 10? No 1/10 of a foot answers - most rulers are not scaled that way. Took you a moment, right? Now compare it to a mete .... 10 cm. But I thought imperial was GREAT for division?
Old 02-14-2018, 08:35 AM   #25 (permalink)
*blink*

Vatican mole

My Mood:

I wonder whatever happened to the makers of the Mars probe that failed because they made it with Imperial measurements when everyone else on the project was using metric?

You can wish-list items and return to SLU to purchase through the affiliate link.
Note: Some people refuse to buy from Amazon due to predatory tactics against publishers as noted here and here by Jacqueline Trudeau.
Soen Eber is online now   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed: