Oprah for President? - Page 4 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » Oprah for President?

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2018, 09:27 AM   #76 (permalink)

I finally got it all together, but now I forget where I put it.

My Mood:
IMHO: Elizabeth Warren, Bernie, and Biden are all too fucking old. We need someone who is no older than 60 and preferably still in his or her 40s. And sorry to rain on some parades, but someone who is not a flaming liberal who will alienate the moderate swing voters.
Zaida Gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 01-10-2018, 10:55 AM   #77 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

Singing along with old music

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Oct 4 2009
Business: Moondrops ; Tempus Fugit; Faerycat Designs; sPunk
Client: Firestorm
The problem with Gabbard is she's pretty and smart. But she's not really all that charismatic.

Also, she's not from the Midwest. Sadly, I really think there might be a reason so many of our presidents come from there, but the thing is, Midwest gets a nice big chunk of the population that very few other regions pull in.

And while Warren might be a great candidate, again, I don't know that she has the Charisma for appealing to the masses. And obviously, that's something that makes a difference.

Aribeth Zelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:26 AM   #78 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

Nevertheless, she persisted.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May, 2005

Awards: 4
Special Achievement In Creepy Avatar Threads 
Oprah’s Record of Promoting Charlatans Should Perhaps Give Us Pause About Her Impending Presidency

Quote:
To take the question seriously, future president Winfrey’s track record in this area is not actually reassuring. Look at the list of dubious characters whose careers she’s used her television show and media empire to promote:

• Mehmet “Dr. Oz” Oz, an actual medical doctor who is nonetheless infamous for using his fame to promote “miracle pills” and “fat busters” and other scam nonsense. (It may tell you something that Trump chose Dr. Oz’s show as the venue on which to discuss his own medical history. )

• Phil “Dr. Phil” McGraw, whose eponymous show’s treatment of guests suffering from drug addiction has been described as “callous and inexcusable exploitation” by a professor of clinical psychiatry at the University of Southern California. (Guests who are severely addicted and potentially in danger of dying have reportedly been left without medical supervision in Los Angeles for up to two days after being flown in for dramatic intervention-style appearances on Dr. Phil.)

• Jenny McCarthy, a key figure in the disastrous campaign to convince parents to stop vaccinating their children against infectious diseases, who Winfrey’s company actually signed as a contributor in 2009. (McCarthy, like the current president, has said that vaccinations can cause autism.)

• Rhonda Byrne, author of The Secret, a book and philosophy that posits that the benefits of positive thinking are literally derived from “scientific” phenomena involving “vibrations,” “fields of energy,” and magnetism. (The Secret infamously inspired one Oprah viewer to declare her intention to cure her breast cancer with her mind, which, to Winfrey’s credit, she responded to by noting on air that The Secret’s techniques are not a substitute for treatment.)

• Suzanne Somers, who Winfrey praised for bravely “refus[ing] to keep quiet” when medical experts questioned the usefulness of her personally designed anti-aging regimen, which involves taking 60 pills a day and injecting estrogen directly into the vagina.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:27 AM   #79 (permalink)
Lady of the House

Hopeful

My Mood:
SL Join Date: December 1, 2006
As nice as Oprah is as a person, just NO.
Cristalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 02:32 PM   #80 (permalink)

Building Better Worlds since 1979

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jun 27, 2006
Client: 7 of them (I like testing)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollCampFollower View Post
Literally the only evidence he is smart, is that he is wealthy. ...never mind that he was born with it.
His wealth is actually evidence he is not so smart. His performance since he took over the Trump Organization is significantly below that of stock market indexes. And that is assuming his net worth is what he says it is, and despite a huge number of financial tricks.
DanielRavenNest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 02:56 PM   #81 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

Head of the SLU Troll Tax Administration

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2006

Awards: 1
The 2 Millionth Post Award 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielRavenNest View Post
His wealth is actually evidence he is not so smart.
If Donald had judiciously invested the money Daddy gave him, he'd be significantly richer than he is now.

No matter how grandly he lives, Trump is in debt up to his eyeballs. He's floating on Russian money as the living embodiment of a junk bond owned by Putin and the Russian mafia. If they ever decide to stop funding him, Trump will go broke and end up living under a bridge somewhere in the Bronx.
1 User Likes This:
Old 01-10-2018, 04:03 PM   #82 (permalink)
Senior Discount

Jesus is coming. Look busy!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: August 21, 2007
Client: Anything But 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebo Brink View Post
If Donald had judiciously ...

U.S. Only
Casey Pelous is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 01-11-2018, 12:59 AM   #83 (permalink)

SL Join Date: September 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaida Gearbox View Post
Quote:
All great men of God were flawed
Moses killed a man, Noah got drunk and Trump tweets
God loves using imperfect people
You all know that I'm pretty theologically conservative, but I find comparing Dump to Moses or Noah pretty offensive.
There's more here than that.

Liberals like candidates they can admire. Conservatives like candidates they can identify with.

The "God loves using imperfect people" is just self-justifying BS. That God would be working through Trump is just self-justifying BS. Putting God's stamp of approval on Trump makes it okay to like him.

The good news is that this is recognition that Trump is flawed.

The bad news is that this makes it virtuous to be flawed.
Anya Ristow is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
2 Users Disagreed:
Old 01-11-2018, 03:29 AM   #84 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

Dressed up like a car crash

My Mood:
Client: Black Dragon, FS, SL Viewer
Again, If Oprah wants to truly make a difference and actually do more than give a great speech at an awards show, she can get up off her ass, get her checkbook out, start making some calls and get busy in 2018.

As the article below points out, the true power is in the Senate. If the Democrats could have just held six seats in the Senate in the last election, most of what Trump and the GOP did in 2017 would have been impossible. No Judge Gorsuch. No repeal of Obamacare, not tax bill, no loss of DACA and the filibuster would still be there. Hearings on Trump obstruction of justice would not be focusing on Hillary Clinton.

While the Democrats will have to royally screw up not to take the House, taking the Senate back would be hard, but not impossible. Oprah could do it. It would also give her political experience and let her decide if she really wants to run for office.

Oprah Could Be Great for the Democrats. In 2018.

Quote:
While the capture of the House is more probable, the significantly greater power of the Senate is where much of the change that has taken place under Trump will accelerate or grind to a virtual halt.

And this is where Oprah comes in. She is the one figure in public life whose presence in communities around the country could make a significant difference in voter turnout. With her money, her fame and her drawing power, Winfrey could spend the next 10 months organizing public events to spur voter registration. She could bring celebrities of all sorts to her side in cities all across America, from Ashtabula to Zebulon. And she could make sure—with her own resources and others—that the logistics are in place to keep an aggressive voter registration effort alive long after she leaves.

This could all be done on a nonpartisan, tax-exempt basis; but given the fact of political life that Democratic-inclined voters are less likely to cast midterm votes, an Oprah-centric voter registration campaign such as this would inevitably mean more Democratic votes would be cast. (As a side benefit, this effort would help Ms. Winfrey learn whether she has the stomach for a presidential campaign.)
One more thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariane View Post
I'm sorry to say that he is a white male, but considering the racism and sexism of the average American it should not be held against him.
As an "average American", that comment makes me want to vomit.I hope there was at least some sarcasm there. When did we decide that we need to apologize for a person being either white or male or, heaven forbid, white and male! Who the hell cares what race or sex a person is if they are equipped to do the job? I will take someone who has the charisma, experience, intellect and the political savvy to actually win a national election ...and I don't care what color he or she is, or how old they are.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:46 AM   #85 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Quote:
If they ever decide to stop funding him, Trump will go broke and end up living under a bridge somewhere in the Bronx.
Can you just imagine him doing that? Aside from the amusement factor I simply can not picture him knowing how to survive if he did not have his cloud of lackeys.

Not to mention the logistical problems. Very few 20th/21st century ex-presidents were even middle class, much less flat broke.

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:17 AM   #86 (permalink)
Just another muppet

*SLU Supporter*

Eh ?

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Spring 2007
Client: standard
Sid II is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
2 Users Like This:
Old 01-11-2018, 11:46 AM   #87 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
Innula Zenovka is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Laughed:
2 Users Agreed:
3 Users Like This:
Old 01-11-2018, 12:57 PM   #88 (permalink)

I seriously don't want there to be a trend of celebrities running for political offices.

Just the opposite, I want there to be entrance exams for political candidates that have difficulty based on the level of the position they are seeking. POTUS, Vice Pres, any presidential cabinet seat or office, and senate seats should require a very difficult test similar to that of the Bar or a Professional Engineer. Tests that take months of studying and requires years of experience. I bet we would eliminate a majority of the stupid from the top tiers of government. We need to set our standards pretty high for the people who are governing the entire damn nation!

Even if some of the crazies are intelligent enough and dedicated enough to pass the exams, at the very least we would know that they have full knowledge of what is in the constitution and US laws, but they just willfully ignore it. When they try to give us BS answers and quote the constitution wrong, reporters can flat out call them on their willful ignorance.
Tranquility too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 06:05 PM   #89 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

Dressed up like a car crash

My Mood:
Client: Black Dragon, FS, SL Viewer
Polls split: Would Oprah win?

Quote:
A pair of new nationwide polls released on Friday morning disagree about the entertainment mogul's chances against President Donald Trump in 2020.

One, commissioned by a progressive group, shows she would actually effectively tie Trump if the election were held now. The poll of registered voters — conducted by left-leaning Public Policy Polling for the Progressive Change Campaign Committee early this week amid fervent speculation about Winfrey’s 2020 plans — reports Winfrey’s support at 44 percent, compared with Trump’s 43 percent, and 13 percent of voters who said they weren’t sure of their choice, according to results obtained by POLITICO.

But a Marist poll conducted for NPR and PBS NewsHour out Friday showed Winfrey topping Trump, 50 percent to 39 percent, while 11 percent of voters were undecided.
Worth noting that when added to the poll, Elizabeth Warren scored slightly better than Oprah, especially among Latino and young voters.
Soda Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:10 PM   #90 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanda Belinda View Post
I don't know where you put yourself on the liberal / conservative spectrum. I'd say many posters here think Hillary was absolutely wonderful which I wouldn't characterize as very liberal but maybe that's just me.
I consider myself to be moderately liberal. I think the political climate of this board is moderately liberal to extremely liberal. I'm fine with this, but I certainly don't think this board's opinions is reflective of the wider world.

I've not seen anybody here dispute that:

1) Trump should immediately be impeached.
2) Trump is a white supremacist.
3) The people who want to repeal the ACA are idiots.
4) The tax cut bill is evil manifest on paper.

Many here aren't as liberal as they could be, but this is not a centrist or balanced community and I don't think we have any conservative voices who've posted recently that I can tell.

As for Hilary... she has some policies that are very conservative, and her foreign policy in particular is bat shit right wing. But it does seem like she is still just LOVED by many people who are too liberal to agree with her on any actual policies. I don't know why...
TrollCampFollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:12 PM   #91 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid II View Post
The funny thing is that even this "small loan of a million dollars" is him pretending to be more self made than he really is. His early attempts at starting his own businesses all failed. He had to inherit his daddy's full empire of closer to 300 million to get anywhere. And even then, the only clearly successful thing he did on his own was reality TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielRavenNest View Post
His wealth is actually evidence he is not so smart. His performance since he took over the Trump Organization is significantly below that of stock market indexes. And that is assuming his net worth is what he says it is, and despite a huge number of financial tricks.

yes! I think that in reality he almost kept up with inflation.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:20 PM   #92 (permalink)
childish and stubborn

Lost

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 08-November-2005
Client: Second Life Viewer
I will never support Oprah for President of the USA. She is just not qualified to hold this office. If she gets the Democratic nomination, I will stand aside and support no candidate. Just work to elect state wide and local offices. She like trump is a TV personality and a billionaire. Such qualities do not prepare a person for the role of governance.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here
Ranma Tardis is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 01-12-2018, 09:58 PM   #93 (permalink)

Quote:

Yes, except for maybe the impeachment part. If he and Pence could be impeached after the 2018 election then we could have the democratic speaker of the house be president (I think). As it stands the biggest advantage to impeaching him now is to avoid WWIII which is more than a little important. On the rest of the issues Pence or Ryan know better than to be so vulgar in public but would be no improvement. Maybe worse since they actually have some idea what they are doing.
Wanda Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 01-13-2018, 01:27 PM   #94 (permalink)

taking a break from reality

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Once upon a time.
Quote:
I consider myself to be moderately liberal. I think the political climate of this board is moderately liberal to extremely liberal. I'm fine with this, but I certainly don't think this board's opinions is reflective of the wider world.

Many here aren't as liberal as they could be, but this is not a centrist or balanced community and I don't think we have any conservative voices who've posted recently that I can tell.

As for Hilary... she has some policies that are very conservative, and her foreign policy in particular is bat shit right wing. But it does seem like she is still just LOVED by many people who are too liberal to agree with her on any actual policies. I don't know why...
The wider world. Would that be the wider US world, or the wider Western world? Considering that our main right-wing party looks a lot like the democrats, I'd say the US looks like the outlier with the ultra-conservative / fascist faction being so populous.
And as it happens, we had a political poll here, some time back which showed some of us from outside the US were less socialist than many here from the US. (For the record, I've tended to vote Labour or Green in my country)
Originally Posted by Kamilah Hauptmann Well it started with some lolwut and some straight dope, but then someone used Snarcasm and it was Super Effective and then SLU was an evil hivemind culminating in attempted suicide by mod, now we're in the post mortem unless bro comes back for the sequel.
Ashiri is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Agreed:
Old 01-15-2018, 06:16 AM   #95 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:

Quote:
You're new around here and missed over a year's worth of heated SLU debate on that very issue right here on this forum. Like you said, we lean left and Hillary was too conservative for some of us. A few forum members actually left SLU because of the strong sentiments expressed against Hillary as a candidate, and many others felt bruised. There was no free pass for Clinton here.

Let's not go there again, eh?
Beebo Brink is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
3 Users Agreed:
Old 01-15-2018, 06:38 AM   #96 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Quote:
But it does seem like she is still just LOVED by many people who are too liberal to agree with her on any actual policies. I don't know why...
You don't have to "love" Hillary to believe:

* She actually demonstrates at least baseline competence for the job.

* She might be center-right, but the Republicans are way-out-where-Atilla-the-Hun-was-too-liberal.

* The vast majority of shit the media harps on about her is unadulterated horse exhaust.

"And now I'm going to show you something really cool."

The previous is a cybernetic datum published - in direct contravention of DoD Regulation #229RR3X3 - as being conducive to the physical, psychological and/or social well-being of the population.
Argent Stonecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 07:15 AM   #97 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

I'm just a girl, with some horns

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008

Awards: 2
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranma Tardis View Post
Such qualities do not prepare a person for the role of governance.
I'm not sure there are any sort of...qualities that really prepare a person for the role of POTUS.
2 Users Disagreed:
Old 01-15-2018, 09:10 AM   #98 (permalink)
Just another muppet

*SLU Supporter*

Eh ?

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Spring 2007
Client: standard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Xue View Post
I'm not sure there are any sort of...qualities that really prepare a person for the role of POTUS.
Intelligence, common sense, a people manager, charming, capable to listen and compromise, easy going with people form all kinds of backgrounds, healthy with a good stamina, sense of humor, reading and writing skills, tactful and discrete if needed, speaks at least some Spanish and French, wide interest in many fields.

That should be sufficient for the job.

Or in one short summary: Don't be a Donald.

Last edited by Sid II; 01-15-2018 at 09:21 AM.
Sid II is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 01-15-2018, 10:41 AM   #99 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid II View Post
Intelligence, common sense, a people manager, charming, capable to listen and compromise, easy going with people form all kinds of backgrounds, healthy with a good stamina, sense of humor, reading and writing skills, tactful and discrete if needed, speaks at least some Spanish and French, wide interest in many fields.

In terms of general character, that's spot on. It's not nearly enough. I would add actual experience in governing. Having great ideas is worth nothing if you don't know how to get things done.

Becoming president -- both during and after the campaigning -- is a team effort. A single person walking into office will get nowhere, they won't even know where to turn the lights on in the White House. It takes a large, experienced group of professionals who can hit the ground running with binders filled with nominees for hundreds of positions that need to be filled, and all the other details of just setting up office, much less beginning to propose and implement policy.

It can take years to build that group of people around you. People who share your vision, who you trust, who can take on the roles that you need when running for a higher office, then turn around and play a role when you win.
Beebo Brink is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Agreed:
Old 01-15-2018, 10:54 AM   #100 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Stonecutter View Post
You don't have to "love" Hillary to believe:

* She actually demonstrates at least baseline competence for the job.

* She might be center-right, but the Republicans are way-out-where-Atilla-the-Hun-was-too-liberal.

* The vast majority of shit the media harps on about her is unadulterated horse exhaust.
Don't get me wrong, I hoped like hell she'd beat Trump. But I've seen plenty of her supports say much more exaggerated things than "she actually demonstrates at least baseline competence."

She was status quo, and I kind of was okay with that. I still wish she'd have won...

Quote:
You're new around here and missed over a year's worth of heated SLU debate on that very issue right here on this forum. Like you said, we lean left and Hillary was too conservative for some of us. A few forum members actually left SLU because of the strong sentiments expressed against Hillary as a candidate, and many others felt bruised. There was no free pass for Clinton here.

Let's not go there again, eh?
I will absolutely respect your request! I only meant to respond to what Wanda said, not to stir up a big argument.