She's Baaaaack! Bachman considers run for Franken's seat - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » She's Baaaaack! Bachman considers run for Franken's seat

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2018, 05:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

Dressed up like a car crash

My Mood:
Client: Black Dragon, FS, SL Viewer
She's Baaaaack! Bachman considers run for Franken's seat

Michele Bachmann Says She’s Considering Running For Al Franken’s Senate Seat

Quote:
Bachmann, who represented Minnesota’s 6th Congressional District for eight years, said in an interview with “The Jim Bakker Show” that people had urged her to run in 2018 to replace outgoing Sen. Al Franken (D-Minn.). She said she is asking God if she should enter the race.
Ugh.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

So I shall remain ...a stranger

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 06/14/2005 then 04/06/2008
Client: Singularity 1.8.6

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
And she'll get it, too.

Watch.
Han Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 06:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

What time is it?

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2007
I have been worried that Pawlenty was going to run for it (and win). Back in 2002 (Edit: had my year wrong), he had wanted to run for the seat, but the state Republicans wanted him in the Governor's office instead. I figured they would give him the go-ahead this time. He would easily win imo as he is largely viewed as a nice, down home guy. He's actually a Paul Ryan/Scott Walker copy, but since when have facts mattered in an election when people refuse to look at their past behaviors and decisions rather than whether or not they'd like to have a beer with them?

As to Bachman, she also may win. She certainly had good fortune with her heavily gerrymandered district and she has the name recognition. Republicans do well in rural and suburban Minnesota and she will likely get the suburban votes that coincide with her previously held district.

Either way, the far righties here are practically having orgasms at the opportunity to get that seat. They smell blood in the water.

Last edited by Jolene Benoir; 01-03-2018 at 02:17 AM.
Jolene Benoir is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
2 Users Agreed:
Old 01-02-2018, 06:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 3/9/2006
Client: Firestorm
I am sure after Alabama, the GOP is frothing for the opportunity to do the reverse.

http://allaroundthegrid.blogspot.com/
Ramen Jedburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
So was it really worth it Al? *sigh*

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

I'm just a girl, with some horns

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008

Awards: 2
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
She said she is asking God if she should enter the race.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Held View Post
And she'll get it, too.

Watch.
It will be close, but you may be right. Ugh. What a nightmare that would be, getting her AND Romney back in 2018.

The district Bachman represented in Congress is uniquely conservative for Minnesota. It is an extremely white (95.6%) and slightly suburban area and is much different than the progressive-leaning state that typically goes blue in state wide races. A friend of mine described it as "White. Really White. Like...inbreeding, blue skin White." She will have her work cut out for her as she tries to break out of that district and digging herself out of her past. On the other hand, local Democrats are not happy with Franken being forced out, so they could use her to strike back if they don't get real happy with Sen. Smith real fast.

If she gets in and shows ANY momentum, I would not be shocked if Franken gets pushed back in to try and head her off.

Last edited by Soda Sullivan; 01-02-2018 at 09:00 PM.
Soda Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 09:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
Bachmann, who represented Minnesota’s 6th Congressional District for eight years, said in an interview with “The Jim Bakker Show” that people had urged her to run in 2018 to replace outgoing Sen. Al Franken (D-Minn.). She said she is asking God if she should enter the race.
Most people who believe in god and the supernatural don't believe in it in the way that they believe in trees. ...the people who really, TRULY believe they might get a sign from god really weird me out.
TrollCampFollower is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 01-02-2018, 09:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

My Mood:
Is anyone else just a little shocked to know Jim Bakker still has a show?
Old 01-02-2018, 09:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Society's Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

SL Join Date: April 2004
Alabama.

Still has a wheel in the ditch and a wheel on the track.

The last lines of the song still ring true as well.

Quote:
What are you doing Alabama?
You got the rest of the union
to help you along
What's going wrong?
Believe or you will not see.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:14 PM   #11 (permalink)

Building Better Worlds since 1979

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jun 27, 2006
Client: 7 of them (I like testing)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda Sullivan View Post
She will have her work cut out for her as she tries to break out of that district and digging herself out of her past.
The Internet never forgets:

DanielRavenNest is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Yay!:
2 Users Like This:
Old 01-03-2018, 12:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

Nevertheless, she persisted.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May, 2005

Awards: 4
Special Achievement In Creepy Avatar Threads 
If she's using that many teeth, no wonder she lost her last race.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Is anyone else just a little shocked to know Jim Bakker still has a show?
Hell, I am shocked that he is still even alive.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:48 PM   #14 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

What time is it?

My Mood:
I can't decide which would be worse; yet another fuck the poor, give the treasury to the rich robot or the crazy loon.

It's like trying to decide between Trump and Pence. There is no good outcome. As I mentioned above, I'm feeling pretty fatalistic in that it is going to be one or the other sent to represent us.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy Claveau View Post
If she's using that many teeth, no wonder she lost her last race.
Thank you Cindy, I have been smiling all morning at that one!
1 User Said Awww:
1 User Hugged You:
Old 01-03-2018, 01:55 PM   #16 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolene Benoir View Post
It's like trying to decide between Trump and Pence. There is no good outcome. As I mentioned above, I'm feeling pretty fatalistic in that it is going to be one or the other sent to represent us.
Well, there is the outcome that whatever brings Donnie down (and there are several possibilities) brings down Penis as well.

If the country has to have one or the other it becomes a bit more complex. Dear leader could literally start a nuclear war over a twitter spat (no hyperbole) and does not seem to see why that is a problem. Meanwhile we all know what Penis would do AND he knows politics enough to make progress on his agenda. The good thing is donnie brought all sorts of groups together in 2017 to oppose him so now we are all in a better position if any of us gets attacked.
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Likes This:
Old 01-03-2018, 02:02 PM   #17 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolene Benoir View Post
I can't decide which would be worse; yet another fuck the poor, give the treasury to the rich robot or the crazy loon.

Are you in Minnesota Jolene?
Old 01-03-2018, 02:04 PM   #18 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

What time is it?

My Mood:
Quote:
Are you in Minnesota Jolene?
Yep, Minneapolis.
2 Users Hugged You:
Old 01-03-2018, 02:13 PM   #19 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

My Mood:
So, is her "region" as uniquely conservative as it has been made out to be, or should we really worry that this crazy woman can pull this off?
Old 01-03-2018, 02:29 PM   #20 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

What time is it?

My Mood:
Quote:
So, is her "region" as uniquely conservative as it has been made out to be, or should we really worry that this crazy woman can pull this off?
Here's an image of her previous district:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnes...ince_2013).tif

I lived in part of her district when growing up. Back then it was largely still farmers and average working men and women and largely still country. The Twin Cities, like many metropolitan areas, has only gotten wider and wider with suburban sprawl.

The people who have the most have largely displaced those who were there and can largely be said to be white-flighters. As the inner suburbs fell into decline, they moved further and further out.

Guess what their politics might be? Her district, with deliberation, pulls in those votes to the exclusion of areas which might balance that out. It also holds St. Cloud and other areas which are still more rural, and which despite being a college town, is unbelievably racist.

Last edited by Jolene Benoir; 01-03-2018 at 02:37 PM.
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 01-03-2018, 05:07 PM   #21 (permalink)
Crazy Cat Lady

Flor-i-duh

My Mood:
Michele Bachmann; making crazy cat ladies everywhere look perfectly sane.

https://thinkprogress.org/10-of-the-...-3afe5e7749ee/

The 10 Craziest Things

(1) BACHMANN WARNED ‘THE LION KING’ WAS GAY PROPAGANDA: At the November 2004 EdWatch National Education Conference, Bachmann said the “normalization” of homosexuality would lead to “desensitization”: “Very effective way to do this with a bunch of second graders, is take a picture of ‘The Lion King’ for instance, and a teacher might say, ‘Do you know that the music for this movie was written by a gay man?’ The message is: I’m better at what I do, because I’m gay.”

(2) BACHMANN CLAIMED ABOLISHING THE MINIMUM WAGE WOULD CREATE JOBS: While testifying in front of the Minnesota Senate in 2005, Bachmann said, “Literally, if we took away the minimum wage — if conceivably it was gone — we could potentially virtually wipe out unemployment completely because we would be able to offer jobs at whatever level.” This isn’t remotely true. Even simply reducing the minimum wage would, as Paul Krugman noted, “at best do nothing for employment; more likely it would actually be contractionary.”

(3) BACHMANN CLAIMED THAT SCIENTISTS ARE SUPPORTERS OF INTELLIGENT DESIGN: During a 2006 debate, Bachmann said, “There are hundreds and hundreds of scientists, many of them holding Nobel Prizes, who believe in intelligent design.” This was, and is, not true.

(4) BACHMANN CLAIMED TERRI SCHIAVO WAS ‘HEALTHY’: Not long after Terri Schiavo died, Bachmann said she would have voted for the Palm Sunday Compromise because Schiavo “was healthy. She had brain damage — — there was brain damage, there was no question. But from a health point of view, she was not terminally ill.” An autopsy found that Schiavo had suffered irreversible brain damage and her brain, said the medical examiner, was “profoundly atrophied.”

(5) BACHMANN LIKENED VISITING IRAQ TO VISITING MALL OF AMERICA: In 2007, Bachmann returned from a junket to Iraq and told her colleagues, “[T]here’s a commonality with the Mall of America, in that it’s on that proportion. There’s marble everywhere. The other thing I remarked about was there is water everywhere.” As ThinkProgress documented at the time, the comparison was preposterous.

(6) BACHMANN CLAIMED THAT CARBON DIOXIDE IS ‘HARMLESS’: In 2008, a Stanford scientist revealed “direct links” between increased levels of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and “increases in human mortality” — globally, he found that as many as “20,000 air-pollution-related deaths per year per degree Celsius may be due to this greenhouse gas.” The next year, Bachmann, who is not a scientist, said that “carbon dioxide is portrayed as harmful. But there isn’t even one study that can be produced that shows that carbon dioxide is a harmful gas.”

(7) BACHMANN CALLED FOR A CONGRESSIONAL WITCH HUNT: Pivoting off the news of Barack Obama’s alleged relationship to former Weather Underground member William Ayers, and his former pastor, Rev. Jeremiah Wright, Bachmann accused the candidate of having “anti-American views.” She then suggested that Congressional liberals — including Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid — ought to be subject to “an exposé” by the media because of their views. “I think people would love to see like that,” she told a stunned Chris Matthews.

(8) BACHMANN SUGGESTED GAY SINGER SHOULD REPENT AFTER GETTING CANCER: Bachmann saw Melissa Etheridge’s cancer as a teachable moment: “Unfortunately she is now suffering from breast cancer, so keep her in your prayers,” she said in November 2004. “This may be an opportunity for her now to be open to some spiritual things, now that she is suffering with that physical disease. She is a lesbian.”

(9) BACHMANN BOASTED ABOUT BREAKING THE LAW: In advance of the 2010 national Census, Bachmann told The Washington Times that she would break the law by not completing the forms. “I know for my family, the only question we will be answering is how many people are in our home,” she said. “We won’t be answering any information beyond that, because the Constitution doesn’t require any information beyond that.”

(10) BACHMANN CLAIMED THAT GLENN BECK COULD SOLVE THE DEBT CRISIS: During a February trip to South Carolina, Bachmann told a South Carolina audience, “I think if we give Glenn Beck the numbers, he can solve this [the national debt].”

and more ...

Michele Bachmann Said What?! – Mother Jones
1 User Laughed:
Old 01-03-2018, 05:44 PM   #22 (permalink)
Particle Laboratory Elf

Fire season is over! Yay!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jan 15 2004
Business: Light Sorcery

Awards: 1
Yaaaay. All we need is more infantile spectacle as a distraction to the treasonous toadies in (and formerly in) the current administration.

I can see big dollars flooding her way so long as she provides to be more embarrassing and news-dominating than, say, Bannon.
Jopsy Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 01-04-2018, 02:13 PM   #23 (permalink)
DJ's for Aural Pleasure

Hold On To Yourself

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Sept. 2007
Business: Avatar Bizarre
Client: Crash-o-Matic 2.0
God says no.

Twitter
Sredni Eel is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Laughed:
3 Users Like This:
Old 01-07-2018, 12:44 AM   #24 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

Nevertheless, she persisted.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May, 2005

Awards: 4
Special Achievement In Creepy Avatar Threads 
Michele Bachmann: “God Made It Very Clear He Does Not Want Me To Run For Al Franken’s Seat”

Quote:
When she announced her potential interest, though, she explained that she would first need to pray to God to learn if God supported her decision to run for the Senate. However, it does not appear that God supports the idea of Michele Bachmann returning to Congress, this time in the upper legislative body.

“I did a lot of soul searching when I heard Al Franken was stepping down, and I spent many hours praying,” explained Bachmann. “I don’t do anything—not even tie my own shoes—without asking for God’s guidance and approval, and I believe that after several days’ worth of prayer, God has made His opinion very clear.”

Bachmann was reluctant to explain God’s answer to her prayers in a phone conversation with The Halfway Post, but after our reporter pressed her for more information, she finally gave in.

“Well, actually, I was getting pretty clear signs from the very beginning of my prayer session, though I didn’t want to believe that God disapproved of me running. When I first asked the Lord if I should run for that Senate, all the lights in my house started flickering and then the light bulbs in my kitchen chandelier shattered. After cleaning up that mess, I went back to praying and then my cat Mr. Snuggles came into the room and had the most explosive diarrhea I’ve ever seen in a human, let alone a tiny cat. Then Mr. Snuggles vomited everywhere, and my little cat didn’t even eat the throw up and clean up his own mess like he usually does. It was everywhere, but Mr. Snuggles went right back to normal after he threw up all over my living room rug, so thank the Lord for his infinite mercy that he did not make my kitty suffer. So that vomity, poopy mess took a little bit to clean up, and then I went back to praying, and right after I thought I was finally starting to get a positive message from my Heavenly Father, I witnessed a black man walk up to my front door. I was about to call the cops, but I noticed he was wearing a nice sweater vest so I figured maybe he was one of the good ones, and I opened the door and he introduced himself to me as my new neighbor. A black neighbor! It was literally a nightmare come to life! Just when I thought it couldn’t get any worse, his husband came over too to meet me, too. Gay, interracial neighbors! I nearly had a heart attack. I thought my subdivision explicitly banned this kind of stuff. I immediately knew the Lord was making it painfully, abundantly clear I should go nowhere near Congress. Luckily my husband came home and he made a diversion for me by going over to their house for a few hours so I that was able to escape upstairs and give myself two consecutive baths to keep the gay germs from spreading on my Godly skin and possibly giving me adverse side effects. My husband, bless his heart came back two hours later walking with a spring in his step and humming the theme song to “Let It Go,” his favorite movie. Maybe he converted them back to being straight. So I’ve decided I’m not going to be running for that Senate seat. I just wish God would hurry up and make those neighbors move away, I mean I’m following God’s will and not running for the Senate. I don’t understand why the Lord is still punishing me.”
Cindy Claveau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 03:14 AM   #25 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

I'm just a girl, with some horns

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008

Awards: 2
Quote:
“I don’t do anything—not even tie my own shoes—without asking for God’s guidance and approval, and I believe that after several days’ worth of prayer, God has made His opinion very clear.”
God: "You were too stupid to run in the first place."
Free Xue is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
1 User Agreed: