Feels and Facts are two different things - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » Feels and Facts are two different things

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2017, 02:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
SLU Fluffer

Cock Chafer

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2007
Client: Catznip or the Official but I dabble in others

Awards: 1
The Penis Handler 
Feels and Facts are two different things

I saw this phrase today and loved it but not feeling patient enough to wait for the perfect thread or subject to use it. So, I’m going to reverse engineer this thing by creating a thread title with my favourite new comeback and let the topics follow. Abortion? Climate? Taxes? Your nasty ex? Milli Vanilli? Religious fanfic? What is the best... ok best might be subjective, so what is a common or great a great example where feels and facts are two different things?

Last edited by Pancake; 12-28-2017 at 03:03 PM.
Pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
2 Users Like This:
Old 12-28-2017, 03:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tenacious Twat

SL Join Date: 11/21/05
Client: Firestorm usually

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
Erm...as this phrase, in my experience, has been most frequently used as a condescending and bullying dog-whistle by MAGA and MRA types against women and POC, I'm going to take a knee on this one.
SalStrange is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
3 Users Hugged You:
1 User Likes This:
Old 12-28-2017, 03:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancake View Post
I saw this phrase today and loved it but not feeling patient enough to wait for the perfect thread or subject to use it. So, I’m going to reverse engineer this thing by creating a thread title with my favourite new comeback and let the topics follow. Abortion? Climate? Taxes? Your nasty ex? Milli Vanilli? Religious fanfic? What is the best... ok best might be subjective, so what is a common or great a great example where feels and facts are two different things?
Much of what comes out of Trump's mouth? EG his obsession that he would have won the popular vote by a landslide if it wasn't for ballot-rigging, or that the crowds at his inauguration were far larger than those at Obama's.
Innula Zenovka is online now   Reply With Quote
3 Users Agreed:
Old 12-28-2017, 03:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
captured like a Pokemans.

bitches love to be called beautiful.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: early 2006.

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Anal.

You may feel like I'm into it in the heat of the moment, but the fact is I'll kick you square in the dickhole if you spring it on me.

Seriously? Politics.

I can't believe the things that you'll say
To keep me around and close to your side.

-- Film School - Compare.

When a country is full of food, and exporting it, there can be no famine.
-- George Bernard Shaw.
Deca! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 03:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Just another muppet

*SLU Supporter*

Eh ?

My Mood:
The British politics and Brexit.
Sid II is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Likes This:
Old 12-28-2017, 03:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
SLU Fluffer

Cock Chafer

My Mood:

The Penis Handler 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalStrange View Post
Erm...as this phrase, in my experience, has been most frequently used as a condescending and bullying dog-whistle by MAGA and MRA types against women and POC, I'm going to take a knee on this one.
Oh no!! I had no idea. I wouldn’t have expected it either since neither group really strikes me as big on facts, but I can see how they would want to mock people.

I may still appropriate it though. Especially in the context I heard it today which was related to parents who withhold medical treatments for their children (vaccines, transfusions, antibiotics, etc) because of their beliefs.
1 User Hugged You:
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 12-28-2017, 03:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

vi vs emacs

"And now I'm going to show you something really cool."

The previous is a cybernetic datum published - in direct contravention of DoD Regulation #229RR3X3 - as being conducive to the physical, psychological and/or social well-being of the population.
Argent Stonecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 04:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: June 2007
Client: Firestorm

I feel like I should be able to eat all the cakes.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
1 User Agreed:
Old 12-28-2017, 04:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innula Zenovka View Post
Much of what comes out of Trump's mouth? EG his obsession that he would have won the popular vote by a landslide if it wasn't for ballot-rigging, or that the crowds at his inauguration were far larger than those at Obama's.
Or that he would NEVER go on vacation?

Not only is he on them more often then other presidents he actually treats them as, well, vacations. In the past a presidential vacation is more properly a presidential 'vacation'.

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 04:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Stonecutter View Post
vi vs emacs
EDT !!!!!!!
Old 12-28-2017, 04:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 3/9/2006
Client: Firestorm
Quote:
vi vs emacs
That's the feel, here is the fact.

Nano.

http://allaroundthegrid.blogspot.com/
Ramen Jedburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 12-28-2017, 05:41 PM   #12 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

So I shall remain ...a stranger

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 06/14/2005 then 04/06/2008
Client: Singularity 1.8.6

Quote:
vi vs emacs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramen Jedburgh View Post
That's the feel, here is the fact.

Nano.
Word
Han Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 05:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
Fizzy!

Refreshing!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: '06
Business: Darnkeyes!

Awards: 2
Supermodel of the World 
Quote:
Don't forget against LGBTQ too!

Ahaha, such a simpleton. It'z so much fun playing jokez on you. I waz only here to see how she waz doing, but I had fun while I waz at it. So long, Sere, au revoir, mon ami! Pleaze dream of moi every night! Oui! ~ Harle

Quote:
That's your own fault. I took your panties out of your mouth pages ago. Now you just like them there.
Lady Darnk Juniorette is online now   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Likes This:
Old 12-28-2017, 05:42 PM   #14 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

So I shall remain ...a stranger

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 06/14/2005 then 04/06/2008
Client: Singularity 1.8.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Darnk Juniorette View Post
Don't forget LGBTQ too!
Particularly the "T" portion, though all of it really. But they love to trot out "mental illness" and other bullshit at transpeeps in particular
Han Held is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 12-28-2017, 05:52 PM   #15 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
Yes!

I think many of those MRA types in particular suffer from the psychiatrist's fallacy. They are correctly stating that feminists rely on feelings to base their ethical notions, but then they falsely believe that their own convictions are based on higher reasoning.

ALL ethics, politics and motivations to do anything are fundamentally rooted in emotion. Even something as basic as your will to stop a lion from eating you comes from emotions. All animals with complex brains have emotions for this reason.

If I kick an MRA in the shin, and challenge to them to explain why they are not okay with that, eventually they will have to make a reference to emotion. There is no such thing as purely logical politics.
TrollCampFollower is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Said Thanks :
2 Users Like This:
Old 12-28-2017, 05:56 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tenacious Twat

SL Join Date: 11/21/05
Client: Firestorm usually

Quote:
Oh no!! I had no idea. I wouldn’t have expected it either since neither group really strikes me as big on facts, but I can see how they would want to mock people.

I may still appropriate it though. Especially in the context I heard it today which was related to parents who withhold medical treatments for their children (vaccines, transfusions, antibiotics, etc) because of their beliefs.
YMMV, but the first time I saw it used regularly was during GG to tell women that just because they felt something was sexist didn’t mean it was. After that it was a staple of harassment bro culture and I see it used a lot against POC basically to tell them that just because they feel like something is racist doesn’t mean it is. And, yes, I should have noted LGBTQ because TERFs use it all the time to tell trans women that just because they feel like women doesn’t mean they are.

Basically a lot of white people use it to tell others that they’re wrong about oppressive critique X.
SalStrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 06:01 PM   #17 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:

Here is a good example of what I think you wanted:

An Outbreak of Liberal Idiocy - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart | Comedy Central

I wanted to add a bit: What typically happens when you perform the same experiment 100 times is 95-98 times it tells you the same thing, but the remaining 2-5 times, you messed it up. People LOVE to draw a false equivalence between those. Another example is how nutritional research consistently says the foods you love are horrible for you, but Time Magazine still shamelessly published the butter outlier study.

Last edited by TrollCampFollower; 12-28-2017 at 06:06 PM.
TrollCampFollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 06:17 PM   #18 (permalink)
SLU Fluffer

Cock Chafer

My Mood:

The Penis Handler 
Quote:
YMMV, but the first time I saw it used regularly was during GG to tell women that just because they felt something was sexist didn’t mean it was. After that it was a staple of harassment bro culture and I see it used a lot against POC basically to tell them that just because they feel like something is racist doesn’t mean it is. And, yes, I should have noted LGBTQ because TERFs use it all the time to tell trans women that just because they feel like women doesn’t mean they are.

Basically a lot of white people use it to tell others that they’re wrong about oppressive critique X.
Well that sucks, it could have been a useful phrase in other contexts, or to use against them. Like those who are using how fucken cold it FEELS outside right now to deny climate change. I’m giving my neighbors a pass though, shoveling sidewalks at -41c does funny things to you.
Old 12-28-2017, 06:19 PM   #19 (permalink)
Fizzy!

Refreshing!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: '06
Business: Darnkeyes!

Awards: 2
Supermodel of the World 
Quote:
Well that sucks, it could have been a useful phrase in other contexts, or to use against them. Like those who are using how fucken cold it FEELS outside right now to deny climate change. I’m giving my neighbors a pass though, shoveling sidewalks at -41c does funny things to you.
Idiots ruin everything.

As an american I know! HAVE YOU SEEN OUR PREZ???????????
Lady Darnk Juniorette is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
2 Users Hugged You:
Old 12-28-2017, 06:28 PM   #20 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
Quote:
I don't see anything wrong in commandeering the other side's jibes to turn against them. I've seen plenty of people jeering at alt-right and Republican "snowflakes" for being "triggered" by things they don't want to hear, and for needing a "safe space" where people don't challenge their views.
Innula Zenovka is online now   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This:
Old 12-28-2017, 07:34 PM   #21 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Held View Post
Word
No. Just ...... no.

Ever tried editing source code written by someone who thought word or notepad was a text editor?
Old 12-28-2017, 07:37 PM   #22 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Darnk Juniorette View Post
Idiots ruin everything.

As an american I know! HAVE YOU SEEN OUR PREZ???????????
We have one? As far as I am concerned our last prez stepped down in January and nobody else has taken the job yet.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:43 PM   #23 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/20/2008
Client: LL Viewer V3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Spengler View Post
No. Just ...... no.

Ever tried editing source code written by someone who thought word or notepad was a text editor?
*shudder*

I've also had to deal with web pages that were done up with Word, then stuck on something done up with Frontpage. I still want to curl up into a fetal position when I think of that.

Katheryne Helendale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:47 PM   #24 (permalink)
SLU Fluffer

Cock Chafer

My Mood:

The Penis Handler 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollCampFollower View Post
Here is a good example of what I think you wanted:

An Outbreak of Liberal Idiocy - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart | Comedy Central

I wanted to add a bit: What typically happens when you perform the same experiment 100 times is 95-98 times it tells you the same thing, but the remaining 2-5 times, you messed it up. People LOVE to draw a false equivalence between those. Another example is how nutritional research consistently says the foods you love are horrible for you, but Time Magazine still shamelessly published the butter outlier study.
It came up in a discussion about this couple who tried to treat their child’s bacterial meningitis with garlic and onion smoothies and tea, avoiding doctors ( other than a naturopath) until the point he died. A lot of people are outraged that their feelings/fears about the health care system led to this child’s death, and the light sentences they got.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3935747/s...ingitis-death/
Old 12-28-2017, 07:50 PM   #25 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katheryne Helendale View Post
*shudder*

I've also had to deal with web pages that were done up with Word, then stuck on something done up with Frontpage. I still want to curl up into a fetal position when I think of that.
Ugh, a lot of my work is with the web right now. I am not sure what frustrates me more: people who want to micromanage the look of one line (yes, css, but really some people take it to the extreme) or others who send me something saved from word to html then wonder why I am turning all sorts of interesting shades of red.
2 Users Hugged You: