Feels and Facts are two different things - Page 4 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » Feels and Facts are two different things

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2017, 12:40 PM   #76 (permalink)
Tenacious Twat

SL Join Date: 11/21/05
Client: Firestorm usually

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong Weatherwax View Post
You know, your Bernie antagonisms might be pointed if I'd actually voted or stumped for Bernie. Clinton, while I'm no fan, clearly had the best shot.
It’s not an antagonism. It’s what’s actually happening. I actually did vote for Bernie in the primary. And I’ll regret it for the rest of my life. My point is that he tried the strategy you’re suggesting — focused on white voters, an economics only message, and ignored POC concerns. It failed miserably. It continues to fail.

Women and POC (and, especially WOC) have been building coalitions and influence within the Dem party for decades. Now that they’ve reached positions of power they are not going to be told to table their concerns and center whiteness. It is a non-starter. Further, you are not going to put the genies of movements like metoo and BLM back into their respective bottles. Not with POC being murdered by police regularly and abusers being outed in every corner. It is foolishness to suggest any liberal movement can detach itself from race and gender issues.

And lastly, no one excluded white Americans from the Dem message. The ones that did excluded themselves. They decided there was an (Only) in front of Black Lives Matter. They decided to pretend their status was under attack when it wasn’t. They decided to swallow the falsehoods that minorities and undocumented immigrants were sucking down their taxes. The Dems did not tell whites of any economic level they were excluded.

You can only reach people that want to be reached. Our energies are better spent defending and protecting our base and reaching out to disenfranchised voters. And those of us doing that are not elites by any measure.
SalStrange is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Said Thanks :
Old 12-29-2017, 03:38 PM   #77 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

I'm just a girl, with some horns

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008

Awards: 2
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
I think I'm going to make out with this thread over the new year's weekend.
1 User Said Yay!:
Old 12-29-2017, 03:46 PM   #78 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

What time is it?

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalStrange View Post
It’s not an antagonism. It’s what’s actually happening. I actually did vote for Bernie in the primary. And I’ll regret it for the rest of my life. My point is that he tried the strategy you’re suggesting — focused on white voters, an economics only message, and ignored POC concerns. It failed miserably. It continues to fail.

Women and POC (and, especially WOC) have been building coalitions and influence within the Dem party for decades. Now that they’ve reached positions of power they are not going to be told to table their concerns and center whiteness. It is a non-starter. Further, you are not going to put the genies of movements like metoo and BLM back into their respective bottles. Not with POC being murdered by police regularly and abusers being outed in every corner. It is foolishness to suggest any liberal movement can detach itself from race and gender issues.

And lastly, no one excluded white Americans from the Dem message. The ones that did excluded themselves. They decided there was an (Only) in front of Black Lives Matter. They decided to pretend their status was under attack when it wasn’t. They decided to swallow the falsehoods that minorities and undocumented immigrants were sucking down their taxes. The Dems did not tell whites of any economic level they were excluded.

You can only reach people that want to be reached. Our energies are better spent defending and protecting our base and reaching out to disenfranchised voters. And those of us doing that are not elites by any measure.
Exactly. Even if, and it's a huge if, one accepts the claim that these people voted the way they did for economic reasons, and giving them the very best benefit of the doubt, it still leaves the fact that:

A) They were willing to completely throw minorities and immigrants under the bus, meaning, that they are still only concerned about themselves not any greater economic good that benefits everyone. They aren't true partners, and never will be if they only want better for themselves alone. They, at best, are completely untrustworthy as to any social betterment issues.

B) There is something within them that believes that they deserve more and better than minorities and immigrants.

C) Assuming you can, once in awhile, get them to vote alongside you, your goals are entirely different and at odds.

Why would we give up our belief in equality to court them when we have the potential to reap so much more reward in focusing more on getting our own people out to vote? They are our people, not some group that may or may not be persuaded if you drop all of your morals to win them over, not to mention betraying the very people you actually want to support?
Jolene Benoir is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 12-29-2017, 04:27 PM   #79 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/20/2008
Client: LL Viewer V3

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Spengler View Post
You have to define your terms. The R efforts to do an outright repeal failed. Their repeal of the mandatory coverage provision (a key component) via the tax bill did not.
For all intents and purposes, aren't they the same? They may not have been able to repeal ACA outright, but by eviscerating the program's major source of funding and sustainment, they've all but assured the ACA completely collapses in on itself in a pretty short amount of time.

Katheryne Helendale is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 12-29-2017, 06:25 PM   #80 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katheryne Helendale View Post
For all intents and purposes, aren't they the same? They may not have been able to repeal ACA outright, but by eviscerating the program's major source of funding and sustainment, they've all but assured the ACA completely collapses in on itself in a pretty short amount of time.
Yes, that is what they mean. If you ask "did the Rs repeal the ACA" .... well, in name, no. However by removing a key provision (and dear leader not enforcing the parts that are there) they are causing it to fail.

edit: It is sort of like the trivial pursuit question that asked what planet the ship in 2001 was going to. The book and the movie had two different final destinations, even if the major action took place around Jupiter in both.

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is online now   Reply With Quote