Milo Yiannopolis' Book is DANGEROUS - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » Milo Yiannopolis' Book is DANGEROUS

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2017, 10:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
captured like a Pokemans.

bitches love to be called beautiful.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: early 2006.

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Milo Yiannopolis' Book is DANGEROUS

.. ly bad, according to his former editor at Simon & Schuster.

lol forever.

Twitter
(thread)

Oh and I butchered his name in the thread title but he's a cunt so who cares.

I can't believe the things that you'll say
To keep me around and close to your side.

-- Film School - Compare.

When a country is full of food, and exporting it, there can be no famine.
-- George Bernard Shaw.
Deca! is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Laughed:
Old 12-28-2017, 10:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
The Guardian summarises the editor's comments in a story beginning,
Quote:
In July, Yiannopoulos set out to sue Simon & Schuster for $10m for breach of contract. As part of the case, Simon & Schuster have submitted documents that reveal the problems they had with the book. Among other criticisms, the publisher’s notes say Yiannopoulos needed a “stronger argument against feminism than saying that they are ugly and sexless and have cats” and that another chapter needs “a better central thesis than the notion that gay people should go back in the closet”
First draft of the book, complete with editor's comments, here.

I skimmed the introducution and part of the first chapter. It's dire, and my heart goes out to the editor, even though he got paid for reading the damn thing.

ETA: Related story from when he self-published the book, back in July:
Quote:
Rightwing controversialist Milo Yiannopoulos has branded reported low sales of his new book “fake news” after official figures revealed the writer has failed to rock the book charts on either side of the Atlantic, despite his claims to the contrary.

According to Nielsen Bookscan, which monitors book sales through almost all outlets, including Amazon, the former Breitbart technology editor has sold only 18,268 copies of his book in the US and 152 in the UK since its launch on 4 July.

The figure is far below the 100,000 copies, including pre-orders, that his PR team claimed had sold through Amazon alone on the day of the book’s launch. Though ebook sales are excluded from the charts, Andre Breedt, managing director of Nielsen Book Research, said: “As our sales include Amazon sales it is unlikely to be higher.”

Last edited by Innula Zenovka; 12-28-2017 at 11:00 AM.
Innula Zenovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 12:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

If his whole book is part of a legal filing he can kiss his copyright goodbye. Legal filings can't be copyrighted.
Wanda Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 12-28-2017, 01:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Yup that's how Scientology's secret "space aliens" baloney became public domain.
Dakota Tebaldi is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 12-28-2017, 01:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanda Belinda View Post
If his whole book is part of a legal filing he can kiss his copyright goodbye. Legal filings can't be copyrighted.
Regardless of the book's merits (or lack of them) or the outcome of the case, I think it would be fair to say that almost everyone who was going to buy a copy will have bought one by now. According to the Guardian, back on 13 July,

Quote:
Books sent to wholesalers are not counted by monitoring agencies like Nieslen, as it is usual practice for wholesalers to return unsold copies to the publisher. On average, a new book makes 80% of its sales in the first 12 weeks of release, with the first six weeks accounting for the bulk of that figure.

Dangerous reached No 1 on Amazon on the day of its release [4 July] but had dropped to fifth spot in the nonfiction charts and No 52 overall by Thursday 6 July. On Apple BookStore, the book has now fallen to No 100 overall after entering at No 20.
Any future sales he's lost by taking the case to court will be massively outweighed by the damages he hopes to be awarded if he wins.

I was particularly pleased to see that he'd sold only 152 copies in the UK I think that's not just -- as the article suggests -- that he's far better known in the USA than in the UK. Also, to my mind, he's a performer whose whole act is aimed at an American audience. It doesn't work on Brits, and it's not intended to.

He's being a camp, urbane, metropolitan raconteur and provocateur, saying things that will delight his intended US right-wing audience. That's people who, despite the fact they share most of their views, aren't too happy about being classified alongside strange fundamentalist Christians who either wear camouflage and long beards and hunt ducks, or who wear polyester clothes a size too small and sweat a lot. Milo, I am sure, has almost as much contempt for his US fans as he does for the Duck Dynasty clan and for his early fans in Gamergate, and must think it's a hoot that they pay hand over fist to hear him.

If you're a Brit, it's painfully obvious that his act is as constructed (though less well so) as that of Joanna Lumley in Ab Fab (to which it owes quite a bit, to my mind). The fact Brits can see it's a fake doesn't matter, though, because it's not our money he's after.
1 User Said Thanks:
2 Users Agreed:
Old 12-28-2017, 01:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tenacious Twat

SL Join Date: 11/21/05
Client: Firestorm usually

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
While everyone is having a giggle at the editor's comments, I think this is worth remembering:

Twitter

Twitter
SalStrange is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Said Thanks :
Old 12-28-2017, 02:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Mood:

I didn't forget, mainly because of Roxane Gay. Plus Threshold Editions has always been problematic.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 12-28-2017, 02:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
the publisher’s notes say Yiannopoulos needed a “stronger argument against feminism than saying that they are ugly and sexless and have cats”
"I don't know what a woman is, but let me tell you what's wrong with feminism!"

Much is said about people who are still like a 5 year old in terms of development, but I think there are a much larger number of undiagnosed cases of people who are struck in their super edgy 16 year old phase.
TrollCampFollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 04:06 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Mood:

Sums it up:

1 User Said Thanks:
Old 12-28-2017, 08:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

I feel pretty. Oh, so pretty.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008

Awards: 2
Quote:
Yiannopoulos needed a “stronger argument against feminism than saying that they are ugly and sexless and have cats”
One thing about ugly, sexless cat owners is, they're far more desirable than poor self-hating Milo.

Quote:
and that another chapter needs “a better central thesis than the notion that gay people should go back in the closet”
As I said, self-hating...
Old 12-29-2017, 03:10 AM   #11 (permalink)

Redheaded!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: July 19, 2006
Client: Firestorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Xue View Post
As I said, self-hating...
Last year I saw Milo getting interviewed though it might have been a discussion show of some kind. He was doing his usual anti-trans thing.

He was wearing a Chanel styled jacket of the kind that is womenswear and obviously feminine jewelry and he had nice neutral eyemakeup.

After having my usual scanners-head-explode moment I had this thought in my head:

"Dude, you're dissing transfolk while engaging in what some folks would consider to be a form of transgender behavior by CROSSDRESSING? WTF!"
Old 12-29-2017, 08:15 AM   #12 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

Dressed up like a car crash

My Mood:
Client: Black Dragon, FS, SL Viewer
My favorite manuscript notations by the editor:

“This rumor cannot appear in this book.”

“No need to drag the lesbians into this!”

“Ego gets in the way in this paragraph. Delete.”

“DELETE UGH!”

“Let’s keep ‘fecal waste’ analogies out of this chapter.”

“This is definitely not the place for more of your narcissism.”

1 User Likes This:
Old 12-29-2017, 08:59 AM   #13 (permalink)

It wasn't immediately obvious to me where the original pdf was. It's here.

https://iappscontent.courts.state.ny.../EXHIBIT_B.pdf

I don't remember reading an editor from a major publisher's comments to a book before. I'm impressed. S/he makes a lot of astute comments. Hopefully the average quality of a draft is a lot better than this or the editor might be reconsidering their choice of jobs.
Wanda Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:08 AM   #14 (permalink)

My Mood:

Twitter
Old 12-29-2017, 09:20 AM   #15 (permalink)

My Mood:

I had no idea that people were hailing the editor as some kind of folk hero until I looked at Twitter. Good god. It should be stonkingly obvious that he isn't, just from some of his less sassy edits.

Trying to soften the edges of alt-right's millennial mascot should be something you refuse to do, unless you agree with him and have found a way to soft sell it in your own life. Quimby is an editor and I know for a fact that he'd refuse to work on anything remotely similar, simply out of principle.
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 12-29-2017, 01:13 PM   #16 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deca! View Post
I had no idea that people were hailing the editor as some kind of folk hero until I looked at Twitter. Good god. It should be stonkingly obvious that he isn't, just from some of his less sassy edits.

Trying to soften the edges of alt-right's millennial mascot should be something you refuse to do, unless you agree with him and have found a way to soft sell it in your own life. Quimby is an editor and I know for a fact that he'd refuse to work on anything remotely similar, simply out of principle.
Or it may have been that he thought if he simply did his job and removed everything from that book that was particularly objectionable or stupid or both, there wouldn't be much of a book left to publish at the end of the exercise.
2 Users Agreed:
Old 12-29-2017, 01:22 PM   #17 (permalink)

My Mood:

That's a nice thought, but he works for a conservative branch of S&S that publishes utter shite.
1 User Agreed:
Old 12-29-2017, 03:36 PM   #18 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

I feel pretty. Oh, so pretty.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda Sullivan View Post
“No need to drag the lesbians into this!”
Free Xue is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
Old 12-29-2017, 03:57 PM   #19 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CronoCloud Creeggan View Post
Last year I saw Milo getting interviewed though it might have been a discussion show of some kind. He was doing his usual anti-trans thing.

He was wearing a Chanel styled jacket of the kind that is womenswear and obviously feminine jewelry and he had nice neutral eyemakeup.

After having my usual scanners-head-explode moment I had this thought in my head:

"Dude, you're dissing transfolk while engaging in what some folks would consider to be a form of transgender behavior by CROSSDRESSING? WTF!"
For all my life, all of the gay men I've known have been super, DUPER progressive. This is why it always confused me when some of my very liberal facebook friends talked about the problem with misogynistic, racist, white gay men.

...and then I found out about Milo. He is like an exaggerated caricature of the misogynistic, racist white gay man that I keep hearing about.

And then, his talk about traditional Catholic values while being the edgiest gay man he can be, honestly makes me think he's mentally ill to the point where I'm not sure it's okay to make fun of him...
Old 12-29-2017, 04:32 PM   #20 (permalink)
Myf
McMahon

Pop!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: March '07
Business: The Kino Haus
Client: the one you hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollCampFollower View Post
For all my life, all of the gay men I've known have been super, DUPER progressive. This is why it always confused me when some of my very liberal facebook friends talked about the problem with misogynistic, racist, white gay men.
Log Cabin Republicans
Myf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 04:57 PM   #21 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myf View Post
I've known some of them that were still infinitely more tolerable than Milo...
Old 12-29-2017, 05:20 PM   #22 (permalink)

Building Better Worlds since 1979

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jun 27, 2006
Client: 7 of them (I like testing)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanda Belinda View Post
I don't remember reading an editor from a major publisher's comments to a book before. I'm impressed. S/he makes a lot of astute comments. Hopefully the average quality of a draft is a lot better than this or the editor might be reconsidering their choice of jobs.
I had a friend in college who worked as the "Slush Pile" reader for a science fiction magazine. The slush pile was all the unsolicited manuscripts that came in the mail, as opposed to solicited stories from known writers. His job was to filter out the 90% of utter dreck from the pile, and forward the 10% that had promise to the editor. The editor, in turn would toss some more of them, and others would make some comments on how to improve the story, and return them to the author so they could try again. On very rare occasions they would accept a story with only minor corrections needed.

My guess from the above comments is that due to notoriety, or knowing someone from his various appearances, Milo skipped the slush pile stage, and went right to an editor. If an unknown had submitted the work, it would just have been returned without comment, as being utter dreck.
DanielRavenNest is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 12-29-2017, 05:28 PM   #23 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

So I shall remain ...a stranger

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 06/14/2005 then 04/06/2008
Client: Singularity 1.8.6

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
Unhappy

Quote:
It must be where you live. In real life I've known many, many many ultra-conservative (and down right racist and/or misogynistic) gay men as well as male to female transfolks (one that was outright racist).

[edit]more than one racist transfolk, actually ...
Han Held is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Hugged You:
Old 12-30-2017, 05:53 PM   #24 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Held View Post
It must be where you live. In real life I've known many, many many ultra-conservative (and down right racist and/or misogynistic) gay men as well as male to female transfolks (one that was outright racist).

[edit]more than one racist transfolk, actually ...
Is everyone here from rural or southern places? I live in a very liberal city, and went to college in a progressive area. I've only met like 2 gay republicans, and they weren't that bad.

I'm sure I also get a selection bias... I got a lot of LGBT people on my facebook, and they are ALL super left wing. The most conservative LGBT person I know is either myself or my ex (who was trans). And that's saying a lot, since we both hate Trump and want universal healthcare.
Old 12-30-2017, 07:35 PM   #25 (permalink)

Foxed

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Once upon a time.
Quote:
Is everyone here from rural or southern places? I live in a very liberal city, and went to college in a progressive area. I've only met like 2 gay republicans, and they weren't that bad.

I'm sure I also get a selection bias... I got a lot of LGBT people on my facebook, and they are ALL super left wing. The most conservative LGBT person I know is either myself or my ex (who was trans). And that's saying a lot, since we both hate Trump and want universal healthcare.
I have met a few gay guys who tended conservative, but that's NZ conservative rather than US conservative... and they were in our largest city.
Originally Posted by Kamilah Hauptmann Well it started with some lolwut and some straight dope, but then someone used Snarcasm and it was Super Effective and then SLU was an evil hivemind culminating in attempted suicide by mod, now we're in the post mortem unless bro comes back for the sequel.
Ashiri is offline   Reply With Quote