Why isn't this executive order getting any attention? - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » Why isn't this executive order getting any attention?

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2017, 02:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

SL Join Date: September 2006
Why isn't this executive order getting any attention?

This is a week old today...

Executive Order Blocking the Property of Persons Involved in Serious Human Rights Abuse or Corruption

Quote:
I, DONALD J. TRUMP, President of the United States of America, find that the prevalence and severity of human rights abuse and corruption that have their source, in whole or in substantial part, outside the United States, such as those committed or directed by persons listed in the Annex to this order, have reached such scope and gravity that they threaten the stability of international political and economic systems.
[snip]
I therefore determine that serious human rights abuse and corruption around the world constitute an unusual and extraordinary threat to the national security, foreign policy, and economy of the United States, and I hereby declare a national emergency to deal with that threat.
The loony right is as sure that this means He's about to lock Her up as the loony centrists are that He's about to be impeached...

New Trump Executive Order Targets Clinton-Linked Individuals, Lobbyists And Perhaps Uranium One

Here are the most mainstream references I could find...

Politico: Trump targets human rights abusers with executive order

Miami Herald:Trump’s executive order should have world’s worst crooks, killers running scared

The former has no comment on what this might mean...

Quote:
Trump signed an executive order declaring a national emergency related to “serious human rights abuse and corruption around the world” and imposed sanctions on 13 individuals, using his authority under the 2016 Global Magnitsky Act.

The Treasury Department sanctioned an additional 39 people and entities for alleged human rights abuses and corruption, for a total of 52 targets. Among those sanctioned is the son of Russia's prosecutor general.
And the latter, characterized by its title and the following, seems to think this is a good thing...

Quote:
After months of conflicting messages, last week the Trump administration took a big step toward drastically expanding punishments for human rights abusers and kleptocrats all over the world. The move also reveals how government professionals and political officials inside the administration are finding ways to work together one year into the Trump presidency.

There was understandable skepticism that the Trump team would enthusiastically enforce the Global Magnitsky Human Rights Accountability Act, signed by President Obama in his final days in office, which authorizes the president to block visas and sanction individuals and entities from any country that abuses human rights or engages in “acts of significant corruption.” But the first-ever list of 51 such targets, announced by the State and Treasury departments on Dec. 21, was a clear sign the Trump administration is supporting the law and implementing it in good faith.
That's a Washington Post columnist (and also an analyst for both CNN and Bloomberg) writing in the Miami Herald. I can't find a thing in The Washington Post, CNN or Bloomberg.

Thing is, this XO doesn't just name thirteen worst offenders. It appears to spell out new executive powers. There's way more to it than I quoted.

Or is this nothing that isn't covered in the Magnitsky act and therefore nothingburger? My reading of the wiki summary says that the powers laid out in the XO are new, and if they aren't, the media coverage should be along the lines of "maybe this shouldn't have been expanded, knowing it would be Trump next to yield it."

wikipedia:Magnitsky Act

Quote:
In December 2016, Congress enlarged the scope of the Magnitsky Act to address human rights abuses on a global scale. The current Global Magnitsky Act (GMA) allows the US Government to sanction corrupt government officials implicated in abuses anywhere in the world.

Last edited by Anya Ristow; 12-28-2017 at 02:16 AM.
Anya Ristow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 02:29 AM   #2 (permalink)

TL;DR A state of national emergency has been quietly declared and nobody of note has reported on it.
1 User Agreed:
Old 12-28-2017, 06:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

Getting Back There

My Mood:
Client: Exodus

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Not sure what you mean? I've been seeing this all over the place. Jacobin, WSWS, American Conservative, Naked Capitalism, Politico, the Hill, etc. Ostensibly its targeting Myanmar, North Korea, and a few others. As far as a "national emergency" and why its not being reported, well, I imagine because its not really "news" in a country that has been on a solid War Footing for close to two decades.
Wrong Weatherwax is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 12-28-2017, 06:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anya Ristow View Post
Or is this nothing that isn't covered in the Magnitsky act and therefore nothingburger? My reading of the wiki summary says that the powers laid out in the XO are new, and if they aren't, the media coverage should be along the lines of "maybe this shouldn't have been expanded, knowing it would be Trump next to yield it."

wikipedia:Magnitsky Act
I saw it in the Washington Post. The New York Times also covered the release of the sanctions list but did not discuss the mechanics (i.e. that Trump had issued an executive order).

According to the NYT,
Quote:
The designations are the first to result from the passage last year of the Global Magnitsky Act, a bipartisan bill intended to punish people around the world who are credibly accused of serious violations of human rights and of corruption. The law was a follow-on to a similarly named law passed in 2012 designed to punish such people only in Russia. On Wednesday, the Trump administration imposed sanctions on five Russians in designations from that earlier law. Among those targeted on Wednesday was the leader of the Republic of Chechnya.
So it rather looks as if the new law, passed as a bi-partisan measure under the previous administration, simply empowers the President to issue, from time to time, sanctions orders against foreign individuals against whom there is a credible case they are guilty of serious corruption or human rights abuses, and he's used it as intended.

If you do a Google search for Global Magnitsky Act, you will see Trump's order was quite widely covered on Dec 21 and 22.
Innula Zenovka is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 12-28-2017, 08:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Dear leader does so much bad stuff that it is hard to cover everything. Also remember this is traditionally the slow week so a lot of the A team reporters have this week off and temps are covering for them. Which means the end of last week was the perfect time to slide a few pitches over the plate. We are seeing what I would expect, a few places covering the story but not everyone.

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 12-28-2017, 08:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 3/9/2006
Client: Firestorm
I use the IFTTT trigger to get laws and EO notices in my email and I really wish there was a good place to learn was half of them even do, because the names are often cryptic and foreboding.

But then you go online and everyone is just bitching about Tweets some more.

http://allaroundthegrid.blogspot.com/
Ramen Jedburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 12-28-2017, 09:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramen Jedburgh View Post
I use the IFTTT trigger to get laws and EO notices in my email and I really wish there was a good place to learn was half of them even do, because the names are often cryptic and foreboding.

But then you go online and everyone is just bitching about Tweets some more.
What is the IFTTT trigger?

Congress has apis that pretty much replace the congressional facebook. Legislator information, stuff on bills, floor schedules, whatever. My phone puts the always-out-of-date facebook to shame. I would not be surprised if other parts of the government have parallel stuff.

For the White House EOs and such go through the Office of the Staff Secretary. Odds are them or maybe the Office of Management and Budget (where I worked) would have any info on an API. Maybe google white house api? Then once you have the name of the api (a quick search of the google string had the first hit on github) you can see what apps implement it.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

This seems like it works for Android:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....actions&hl=en

edit: the one at the top of the article does not seem to be in here yet

edit2: it is an iphone app as well and it is getting the info from the WH website

edit3: the WH is not publishing an API but you need to get stuff from their website and it does not look very scrapable ..... talk about a 1990s way of doing things

Last edited by Kara Spengler; 12-28-2017 at 03:11 PM.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 12-28-2017, 12:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Spengler View Post
What is the IFTTT trigger?

Congress has apis that pretty much replace the congressional facebook. Legislator information, stuff on bills, floor schedules, whatever. My phone puts the always-out-of-date facebook to shame. I would not be surprised if other parts of the government have parallel stuff.

For the White House EOs and such go through the Office of the Staff Secretary. Odds are them or maybe the Office of Management and Budget (where I worked) would have any info on an API. Maybe google white house api? Then once you have the name of the api (a quick search of the google string had the first hit on github) you can see what apps implement it.
Looks like it's provided by ProPublica.

"Get an email whenever the U.S. President signs a bill into law You'll get the title of the law and a link to read more.
by ProPublica "
3 Users Said Thanks :
Old 12-28-2017, 12:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

SL Join Date: April 2004
Believe or you will not see.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 12-28-2017, 05:27 PM   #11 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Trump calling it a "national emergency" in his executive order is empty rhetoric, I don't believe it has any more legal meaning than "this is a problem bigly!" I believe he used similar language to describe the opiate issue in another executive order that went nowhere.

The list of names is expected and nothing special either. Ordinarily the State Department would simply release a list of sanctioned names, the way they have done in times past. Trump is releasing the name list as an executive order because his lawyers told him to do it because it might make him look like he personally cares about bad Russian behavior.
Dakota Tebaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
2 Users Agreed:
Old 12-28-2017, 05:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tenacious Twat

SL Join Date: 11/21/05
Client: Firestorm usually

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong Weatherwax View Post
Not sure what you mean? I've been seeing this all over the place.
Her favorite narrative is “the media isn’t telling you important things.” That’s what she means.
SalStrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:16 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innula Zenovka View Post
If you do a Google search for Global Magnitsky Act, you will see Trump's order was quite widely covered on Dec 21 and 22.
Here's a fun test. Try that search on google.com rather than google.co.uk. Google does geolocation, so I can't tell you what you'll find, but for me, that WaPo article (and this one) doesn't appear in the first five pages of results.
1 User Said Awww:
1 User Groaned:
2 Users Laughed:
Old 12-28-2017, 07:32 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tenacious Twat

1 User Agreed:
Old 12-28-2017, 07:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
captured like a Pokemans.

bitches love to be called beautiful.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: early 2006.

Man, all those other news outlets on the first page are crying into their teacakes now.

Also, the WaPo article is right there for me. Yay!

I can't believe the things that you'll say
To keep me around and close to your side.

-- Film School - Compare.

When a country is full of food, and exporting it, there can be no famine.
-- George Bernard Shaw.
Deca! is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 12-28-2017, 08:52 PM   #16 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
Quote:
Here's a fun test. Try that search on google.com rather than google.co.uk. Google does geolocation, so I can't tell you what you'll find, but for me, that WaPo article (and this one) doesn't appear in the first five pages of results.
Both there for me on page 1 of the News tab on google.com (using a VPN to show me as being at a US address)

Innula Zenovka is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Yay!:
2 Users Agreed:
Old 12-28-2017, 08:59 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tenacious Twat

I love it when people try to give Innula homework instead of just admitting she blew up their talking points. Like she’s not going to come back with graphs and footnotes.
2 Users Like This:
Old 12-28-2017, 10:34 PM   #18 (permalink)
But it refused. <3

*SLU Supporter*

I'm a regular Victor Victoria

Person: Citation, pls

Innula:

1 User Likes This:
Old 12-28-2017, 11:38 PM   #19 (permalink)

I have acknowledged that searching for the act name rather than the executive order was more successful (ETA I guess I didn't, other than "liking" the comment). It picked up the NYT article, and also one in The Hill, which I would have accepted as "mainstream". But WaPo? Let's see...

I had to say 5 pages and not 2 or 3, didn't I?

I've triple-checked and I don't see anything from WaPo regarding the XO, but my eyes often fail me, so you could check again for me.

FWIW I also checked pages 6-10. Not there.

Quote:

Last edited by Anya Ristow; 12-29-2017 at 08:17 PM.
1 User Groaned:
1 User Said WTF?:
Old 12-29-2017, 12:08 AM   #20 (permalink)
Tenacious Twat

Old 12-29-2017, 07:06 AM   #21 (permalink)

My Mood:

Maybe it isn't a big conspiracy. Maybe you just don't know how to Google things.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:21 AM   #22 (permalink)
Tenacious Twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deca! View Post
Maybe it isn't a big conspiracy. Maybe you just don't know how to Google things.
Or maybe spending all one’s time on conspiracy humping garbage sites adds a lot of drek to one’s search results, making it more difficult to hone in on reputable sources.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:36 AM   #23 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

Head of the SLU Troll Tax Administration

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2006

The 2 Millionth Post Award 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalStrange View Post
Or maybe spending all one’s time on conspiracy humping garbage sites adds a lot of drek to one’s search results, making it more difficult to hone in on reputable sources.
This. Google keeps track of your previous Search results and it WILL change them based on what it perceives your interests to be. There is no single one set of Search results that everyone shares.

This is especially galling when I'm trying to track and improve a client's web site Search rankings. They show up at the top of my Search results because I visit their site often, which skews the results from what another user would see.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:42 AM   #24 (permalink)

My Mood:

It can't be all that or I'd be seeing a whole lot more naked people in the news.

No, but really. Not everything is a conspiracy to herd us off the edge of the cliff. It took me 5 seconds to do the "fun test", but then I don't think the mainstream media is stealing my thoughts through osmosis.

This is one big-ass reach to make a thing out of nothing.
2 Users Laughed:
2 Users Agreed:
Old 12-29-2017, 08:20 AM   #25 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebo Brink View Post

This is especially galling when I'm trying to track and improve a client's web site Search rankings. They show up at the top of my Search results because I visit their site often, which skews the results from what another user would see.
Pssst. Incognito Mode is your friend.