needtoimpeach.com - SLUniverse Forums

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2017, 05:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

Dressed up like a car crash

My Mood:
Client: Black Dragon, FS, SL Viewer
needtoimpeach.com

Kabillionaire Tom Steyer has launched a massive digital campaign to push for Trump's impeachment. His goal of a million signatures was quickly met and the number of signees is now nearing 4 million. A pool of names that has enormous value and weight.

I almost never sign on to these things, but f-it ...I am happily throwing my name and e-mail onto this list. Hopefully, it will become the 600-pound gorilla in the room that no one can ignore.

'We have tapped into something.' Impeachment drive builds digital army to take on Trump

Quote:
An NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll released this week showed that 41 percent of Americans now back impeachment hearings — higher than the percentage that would support Trump in a 2020 election. And in a recent vote, 58 House Democrats backed Rep. Al Green’s call for impeachment — a dramatic shift from the two who supported impeachment at the start of Steyer’s drive in October.

Steyer himself admitted shock at the avalanche of grassroots support for Trump’s impeachment in a recent interview, amid clear disapproval from Democratic party leaders like Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer, who have suggested that it distracts from the party’s agenda. “We have tapped into something much larger than we thought,’’ said Steyer. He says he’s now aiming for 5 million signatures.
https://www.needtoimpeach.com/
Old 12-27-2017, 09:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
Wouldn't it be better to wait for the results of Robert Mueller's investigation before deciding to impeach Trump? Or am I missing the point somewhere?
Innula Zenovka is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 12-27-2017, 09:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

Singing along with old music

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Oct 4 2009
Business: Moondrops ; Tempus Fugit; Faerycat Designs; sPunk
Client: Firestorm
Impeachment doesn't do much good if they don't find him guilty of something.

All an impeachment is, is the process of a Congressional trial [iirc]

Aribeth Zelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 10:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aribeth Zelin View Post
Impeachment doesn't do much good if they don't find him guilty of something.

All an impeachment is, is the process of a Congressional trial [iirc]
That's what I meant -- unless people have in mind high crimes and misdemeanours unrelated to Russia and the Mueller investigation, I'd have thought it best to wait until Mueller has finished gathering evidence of Trump's criminal wrongdoing for Congress to consider.
Innula Zenovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 10:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
The problem is there is hardly a consensus on the left that getting rid of him now is the right course (although as has been pointed out impeachment is more of a scolding, Clinton got one from the Rs for just lying). Anyway, the problem is one of a long term plan. Say you had a guaranteed way to get rid of dear leader. Would penis be any better? I would argue he would be worse, especially for marginalized communities, because he has the same goals and his ego does not come before his goals (he also knows how the politics game is played). In getting rid of a piece on the political chessboard you have to look at what pieces would fill the power gap and decide if they make the situation worse or better.

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 12:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

SL Join Date: April 2004
Do me a favor and don't use urls as thread titles. I almost... almost spam hammered this thread because my first thought was "more fucking spam and in PRS at that!". Then I noticed who posted it. But all is well that ends well. At least I don't have to explain to Cris how and why I accidentally banned and deleted all posts of someone who has been here for 5 years.
Believe or you will not see.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Laughed:
Old 12-27-2017, 02:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

Dressed up like a car crash

My Mood:
Client: Black Dragon, FS, SL Viewer
Yes, it would be wrong to try to impeach Trump before Mueller is finished with his investigation, and even then it will largely depend on what his findings are. Several reports have noted that Mueller is nearing the end of his investigation, which will end with an interview of Trump himself. So there is a good chance his investigation will be over by the 2018 general election in November. Obviously, it will be over by 2020.

As the article mentioned repeatedly, this list stopped being just about impeachment when it blew past the one million signees mark. This is about progressives having leverage. The "thunderclap" mentioned in the story was a good example. This is now a bank of names that will be of great organizational value to any and all candidates in 2018 and 2020. It will be of more value than the list of e-mails that Sanders fought for the DNC to share.

Quote:
Still, Steyer has caught the attention of Trump, who name-checked him on Twitter as being “wacky” and “totally unhinged."

And that’s playing well with Democratic Party activists like Larry Stone, a longtime Democratic fundraiser and a former mayor of Sunnyvale.

“Tom will be a player in the 2018 midterms. I mean, there’s no question about it,” said Stone, who is now Santa Clara County assessor. “Democrats are pretty optimistic right now, with significant justification, and I love Tom Steyer.”

“I don’t believe that it’s in the Democratic Party’s interest to pursue, to seriously pursue impeachment of Donald Trump,’’ he said. “But I think it’s great to talk about it every day.”
Soda Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 02:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

So I shall remain ...a stranger

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 06/14/2005 then 04/06/2008
Client: Singularity 1.8.6

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
Impeach, don't impeach...
Either way, we're stuck with a corrupt and increasingly authoritarian government.[1]

Something something deck chairs something something titanic
[1]
Han Held is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 12-27-2017, 03:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Persistent Participant

Freaked Out Old Hippy

My Mood:
I got satisfaction from signing the petition a few weeks ago. But what I really want is Mueller to find enough wrong doing to take down Trump, Pence, and the whole oligarchy. I want them exposed for what they are and I want Fox Propaganda destroyed.
I agree wholeheartedly with this part:
Quote:
“I’d rather he take his big money and buy up big media outlets like Sinclair Broadcasting,’’ the conservative media giant that is snapping up dozens of TV stations nationwide, South said.
Kaimi Kyomoon is online now   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
2 Users Like This:
Old 12-27-2017, 03:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaimi Kyomoon View Post
But what I really want is Mueller to find enough wrong doing to take down Trump, Pence, and the whole oligarchy. I want them exposed for what they are and I want Fox Propaganda destroyed.
What's scary is that here, in Anchorage, we have "One America News" on basic basic cable. Meaning if all you can afford is the network channels, you don't even get fox; you get them.

Additionally, if you have regular cable television (we have it included in our rent) then you have fox, newsmax and the daily mail ( ) to choose from.

On the "left" ....msnbc. That's it.

And we've got a whole generation raised on Fox and worse (Alex Jones, Brietbart). So even if the rats are exposed that generation will simply cheer.

I agree with you, 100% though. I want to see the Sinclair machine dismantled and everyone from Trump, Ryan, McConnell and so on (everyone that's helped with the Russia mess) do the perp walk and get sentenced to Leavenworth.

I'm not holding my breath. Trump's a useful handwave, and he'll be even more useful as a sacrificial lamb once they're ready to move on to Pence.
Old 12-27-2017, 03:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Persistent Participant

Freaked Out Old Hippy

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Held View Post
What's scary is that here, in Anchorage, we have "One America News" on basic basic cable. Meaning if all you can afford is the network channels, you don't even get fox; you get them.

Additionally, if you have regular cable television (we have it included in our rent) then you have fox, newsmax and the daily mail ( ) to choose from.

And we've got a whole generation raised on Fox and worse (Alex Jones, Brietbart). So even if the rats are exposed that generation will simply cheer.

I agree with you, 100% though. I want to see the Sinclair machine dismantled and everyone from Trump, Ryan, McConnell and so on (everyone that's helped with the Russia mess) do the perp walk and get sentenced to Leavenworth.

I'm not holding my breath. Trump's a useful handwave, and he'll be even more useful as a sacrificial lamb once they're ready to move on to Pence.
Yeah, I can't argue against that.
Kaimi Kyomoon is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
Old 12-28-2017, 03:00 PM   #12 (permalink)

I finally got it all together, but now I forget where I put it.

My Mood:
You know as Dump becomes more and more unhinged and despotic - this petition will make an excellent list of his enemies that need to be "dealt with."
Zaida Gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 03:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaida Gearbox View Post
You know as Dump becomes more and more unhinged and despotic - this petition will make an excellent list of his enemies that need to be "dealt with."
A list to get on!
1 User Said Yay!:
1 User Said Thanks:
3 Users Agreed:
Old 12-28-2017, 04:05 PM   #14 (permalink)
But it refused. <3

*SLU Supporter*

I'm a regular Victor Victoria

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaida Gearbox View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tasc%C3%B3n_List

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Spengler View Post
A list to get on!
Those are really horrible things, in reality.
2 Users Agreed:
Old 12-28-2017, 08:32 PM   #15 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

I feel pretty. Oh, so pretty.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008

Awards: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfEyes View Post
Do me a favor and don't use urls as thread titles. I almost... almost spam hammered this thread because my first thought was "more fucking spam and in PRS at that!". Then I noticed who posted it. But all is well that ends well.
/me clicks the Ban & Clean link...

>> This user registered more than 365 days ago, they are therefore protected from this tool.

Age leads to power.
1 User Laughed:
Old 12-28-2017, 08:45 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:

Msnbc is as left as it gets anywhere in the US on cable tv isn't it? It isn't very left at all but that's cable.
Wanda Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 12-28-2017, 09:59 PM   #17 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanda Belinda View Post
Msnbc is as left as it gets anywhere in the US on cable tv isn't it? It isn't very left at all but that's cable.
Well, if your sole source is cable news you are well and truly going to get right wing BS, it is just a question of is it centrist or wacky conspiracy theories. Fortunately the younguns are not as restricted to only getting news from cable as previous generations. Which means they have access to things like The Young Turks and the Humanist Report (well, more people do than them, but that involves the scary thing called youtube you know).
1 User Laughed:
Old 12-28-2017, 10:14 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Well, if your sole source is cable news you are well and truly going to get right wing BS, it is just a question of is it centrist or wacky conspiracy theories. Fortunately the younguns are not as restricted to only getting news from cable as previous generations. Which means they have access to things like The Young Turks and the Humanist Report (well, more people do than them, but that involves the scary thing called youtube you know).
Of course there's stuff on the web. I was just talking about cable.
Wanda Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 12-29-2017, 01:52 AM   #19 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanda Belinda View Post
Of course there's stuff on the web. I was just talking about cable.
Which also ignores my point.
My point was that for those who are too poor to afford cable tv (and, most likely, internet) the system (here, in Ak at least) is set up so that all they get for information is ultra-right wing ...rwnj, really... news.

Also, here's the thing about the internet; how do you source? How do you figure out whether something is actually fake news, or is just labelled that way in an attempt to be dismissive.

Cable news is shit; I think (I hope!) we can agree on that. But at least there's some sort of vetting (because litigation).

That's pretty well out the window with internet news.

That's a good thing, because it means that voices which are genuinely leftist can be heard in a way they couldn't have been in past decades. But it's bad because those same voices can be easily discredited (eg counterpunch).
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 12-29-2017, 11:36 AM   #20 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Also, here's the thing about the internet; how do you source? How do you figure out whether something is actually fake news, or is just labelled that way in an attempt to be dismissive.
The same way you check on the accuracy of any data source? Use multiple information streams and spot check their citations. Eventually you will learn which ones have a track record of being more credible than others.

It also depends on the subject. If I want to know a layperson's ethnography of a certain tribe I am more likely to look at National Geographic first than, oh, the New York Times.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:37 AM   #21 (permalink)
Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Xue View Post
/me clicks the Ban & Clean link...

>> This user registered more than 365 days ago, they are therefore protected from this tool.

Age leads to power.
To date, I have noticed things that stopped me from getting that far.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:39 AM   #22 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

I feel pretty. Oh, so pretty.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008

Awards: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfEyes View Post
To date, I have noticed things that stopped me from getting that far.
Remember when it was set to only 30 days? Good times, good times...
Free Xue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 11:43 AM   #23 (permalink)
Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

Quote:
You mean all the newspapers and magazines I read for decades were just figments of my imagination? If that's the case then neither Kennedy nor Elvis are dead.

I wonder how gossip and rumors spread so quickly without benefit of cable or internet.

1 User Said Thanks:
Old 12-29-2017, 12:07 PM   #24 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Of course print media is out there (or the digital version of the articles at least). Since we were talking cable news I was pointing out there is also video news programs that do not rely on whether cable offers the channel or not.
1 User Said Thanks: