Election Day in Alabama - Page 8 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » Election Day in Alabama

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2017, 12:23 PM   #176 (permalink)
Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

SL Join Date: April 2004
Moore is too ignorant to realize his god is trying to teach him HOW TO LOSE GRACEFULLY AND WITH HONOR.
Believe or you will not see.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 12-28-2017, 01:28 PM   #177 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
Quote:
Alabama has certified the result of Doug Jones’s upset Senate victory, clearing the Democrat’s path to Washington just hours after his Republican rival filed a lawsuit asking for a new election.

On Thursday afternoon, Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey, Attorney General Steve Marshall and Secretary of State John Merrill – all Republicans – signed off on election results from all 67 counties. After late-counted provisional and military ballots were added to the total, Jones defeated Republican nominee Roy Moore by 21,924 votes out of more than 1.3 million cast.

Moore, the first Republican to lose a Senate race in Alabama since 1992, had attempted to stop that vote from being counted. Late Wednesday night, the former state judge filed a legal complaint alleging “election fraud,” and asked the state to consider holding a new election. But shortly before the official certification, Montgomery Circuit Judge Johnny Hardwick denied Moore’s request to stop the process.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.2b2e39489843
Innula Zenovka is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 12-28-2017, 02:40 PM   #178 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/20/2008
Client: LL Viewer V3

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda Sullivan View Post
What a big man baby! He simply can not handle the fact that he is (again) a big loser.
I have a feeling this is but a small taste of what we're in for when Trump loses in 2020.

Katheryne Helendale is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
1 User Disagreed:
Old 12-28-2017, 08:57 PM   #179 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

I'm just a girl, with some horns

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008

Awards: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katheryne Helendale View Post
I have a feeling this is but a small taste of what we're in for when Trump loses in 2020.
1 User Laughed:
1 User Agreed:
Old 12-28-2017, 09:29 PM   #180 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

Blimey -- this is Roy Moore's spokesperson, after the election result was certified. She appears somewhat unhinged.

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/cnn-inte...ou-having-fun/

She suggests that Moore is considering running against Gov. Kay Ivey in the next gubernatorial election, in retaliation for Gov Ivey's having "fraudulently certified this election," so maybe Alabama will have a Democrat as their governor before too long.
2 Users Said WTF?:
Old 12-28-2017, 09:32 PM   #181 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innula Zenovka View Post
She appears somewhat unhinged.

"The English have no soul, they have the understatement instead." ~George Mikes
Free Xue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 06:13 AM   #182 (permalink)

Getting Back There

My Mood:
Client: Exodus

Quote:
Blimey -- this is Roy Moore's spokesperson, after the election result was certified. She appears somewhat unhinged.

She suggests that Moore is considering running against Gov. Kay Ivey in the next gubernatorial election, in retaliation for Gov Ivey's having "fraudulently certified this election," so maybe Alabama will have a Democrat as their governor before too long.
I think we need to fund a kickstarter to get Steven Bannon on board.
Wrong Weatherwax is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Yay!:
2 Users Agreed:
Old 12-29-2017, 09:59 AM   #183 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Twitter
Dakota Tebaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 05:48 PM   #184 (permalink)

Building Better Worlds since 1979

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jun 27, 2006
Client: 7 of them (I like testing)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Tebaldi View Post
I can't help wonder if the judge that Moore submitted his election challenge to used to work for him (Moore was chief justice in Alabama, twice). Anyone who has worked for a jerk boss would understand how delicious the opportunity to stamp "Case Dismissed" would be.
DanielRavenNest is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 12-30-2017, 06:46 PM   #185 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

Singing along with old music

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Oct 4 2009
Business: Moondrops ; Tempus Fugit; Faerycat Designs; sPunk
Client: Firestorm
Quote:

Well, see, Moore thinks it's his god-given responsibility to vote -against- women running for office, and I guess that extends to running against them.

Aribeth Zelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 09:31 PM   #186 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Quote:

It would be nice but it would be an Alabama DINO. The Democrat that beat Moore is probably going to be more like an R once sworn in but it is a symbol that any D won there.

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 01-01-2018, 02:42 PM   #187 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

Singing along with old music

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Oct 4 2009
Business: Moondrops ; Tempus Fugit; Faerycat Designs; sPunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Spengler View Post
It would be nice but it would be an Alabama DINO. The Democrat that beat Moore is probably going to be more like an R once sworn in but it is a symbol that any D won there.
Depends on how you are defining republican - if you mean old school, pre-lets-use-civil-rights-and-religion-to-gain-power republicans, then maybe. Doug Jones is fairly moderate, but to the best of my knowledge, he has been involved in civil rights, legally at least, and I've yet to hear he is all that sexist or racist.
Aribeth Zelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 03:15 PM   #188 (permalink)

Building Better Worlds since 1979

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jun 27, 2006
Client: 7 of them (I like testing)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aribeth Zelin View Post
Doug Jones is fairly moderate, but to the best of my knowledge, he has been involved in civil rights, legally at least, and I've yet to hear he is all that sexist or racist.
Jones prosecuted both Eric Rudolph (who bombed an abortion clinic and Centennial Park in Atlanta) and KKK members who bombed the 16th Street Baptist Church in Birmingham, which was a rallying point for the civil rights movement. I think his credentials are good on civil rights.
DanielRavenNest is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 01-03-2018, 11:14 PM   #189 (permalink)

My Mood:

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsupah Ree View Post
Rule #1 one when someone claims they can't be racist/anti-semitic because they "have a black/jewish/whatever friend", is to check if that token member of a minority group is aware of being considered a "friend" by that person.

Quote:
A lawyer who once worked for former Alabama Senate candidate Roy Moore (R) said in a new interview that he’s friends with Moore's former opponent, Sen.-elect Doug Jones (D), and raised money for Jones's campaign.
Lawyer touted by Roy Moore's wife is 'passionate supporter' of Doug Jones | TheHill

The Moores obviously never consulted that lawyer about this, they just used him as a prop without asking for his permission, which is just as telling as if they had called him an ethnic slur.
“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!” -- C. Johnson
detrius is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 01-04-2018, 06:44 AM   #190 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 3/9/2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by detrius View Post

The Moores obviously never consulted that lawyer about this, they just used him as a prop without asking for his permission, which is just as telling as if they had called him an ethnic slur.
On the ethnic slur bit, its hard to classify that when it comes to Jewish people because there is a particular group of people who effectively use "Jew" as an ethnic slur. Like in 100% the same context that someone would use "nigger".

http://allaroundthegrid.blogspot.com/
Ramen Jedburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 01-04-2018, 08:33 AM   #191 (permalink)

My Mood:

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
Which is why it's handy that there are other tells, such as them treating people like inanimate objects.
detrius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 12:11 PM   #192 (permalink)

I finally got it all together, but now I forget where I put it.

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Xue View Post

I'm starting to think the Orange One will rage himself into a YUGE stroke before 2020, and he will be a non-issue in 2020. I'm starting to think he may have had a mini-stroke already. Too bad a brain scan isn't part of the annual physical.
Zaida Gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 12:13 PM   #193 (permalink)
SLERPee

strange but not a stranger

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 07/15/2005
Business: Trudeau Classic Sailing Yachts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katheryne Helendale View Post
Disagreed b/c Trump's not going to make it to 2020
Old 01-04-2018, 12:58 PM   #194 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaida Gearbox View Post
I'm starting to think the Orange One will rage himself into a YUGE stroke before 2020, and he will be a non-issue in 2020. I'm starting to think he may have had a mini-stroke already.
How much will it cost to prop him up through the end of 2018?
Free Xue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 01:04 PM   #195 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
Quote:
I'm starting to think the Orange One will rage himself into a YUGE stroke before 2020, and he will be a non-issue in 2020. I'm starting to think he may have had a mini-stroke already. Too bad a brain scan isn't part of the annual physical.
Too bad it doesn't matter what's part of the annual physical because he is going to throw it in a fireplace and tell the world he is the healthiest human who has ever existed and all the doctors in the world agree, the best doctors.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:22 PM   #196 (permalink)

I finally got it all together, but now I forget where I put it.

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramen Jedburgh View Post
Too bad it doesn't matter what's part of the annual physical because he is going to throw it in a fireplace and tell the world he is the healthiest human who has ever existed and all the doctors in the world agree, the best doctors.
I believe the results of his annual physical at Walter Reid are public record. He can't throw it in the fire place and say, "I'm in perfect health...."
Zaida Gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 05:19 PM   #197 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
Quote:
I believe the results of his annual physical at Walter Reid are public record. He can't throw it in the fire place and say, "I'm in perfect health...."
This came up on Reddit, so take that at what it is.

Its apparently not public record, its just become sort of a standing practice in politeness or transparency or whatever to release it to the public.
3 Users Said Thanks :
Old 01-04-2018, 05:25 PM   #198 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

What time is it?

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2007
Quote:

Its apparently not public record, its just become sort of a standing practice in politeness or transparency or whatever to release it to the public.
Similar to, say, releasing one's tax records?
Jolene Benoir is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 01-04-2018, 07:32 PM   #199 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

Quote:

This is what someone said on Quora:https://www.quora.com/Is-the-preside...-physical-exam (nope, it's just a convention that the results are released to the public).

That having been said, Sarah Sanders was saying last week that "Dr. Jackson, the President's doctor, will give a readout of the exam after it's completed" (it's scheduled for January 12). Nothing to stop him changing his mind, I guess.

There's an interesting, and rather worrying, article in The Atlantic speculating about the problems that would arise were Trump to be diagnosed with a neurological disease but he didn't want to accept the diagnosis: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...ecline/548759/

It's not without precedent, of course, for a president to continue in office despite being seriously ill -- it was painfully clear throughout much of Ronald Regan's second term that he was suffering from the early stages of Alzheimer's, at least to me. But given the two men's very different characters, I doubt that were Donald Trump in a similar condition he'd be quite so tractable as his predecessor.
2 Users Agreed:
Old 01-05-2018, 12:37 PM   #200 (permalink)

lost in time...

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by detrius View Post
Rule #1 one when someone claims they can't be racist/anti-semitic because they "have a black/jewish/whatever friend", is to check if that token member of a minority group is aware of being considered a "friend" by that person.

Lawyer touted by Roy Moore's wife is 'passionate supporter' of Doug Jones | TheHill

Update on the lawyer thing:
Apparently Jaffe isn't the one they were referring to.
What I had originally read on Twitter, but couldn't find a link to at the time, was correct.
Mr Wishnatsky is a "Messianic Jew".

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...cepted-christ/

I tried to quote from the article but my tablet, the site, or both, wasn't cooperating.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Romana; 01-05-2018 at 05:52 PM.
Romana is offline   Reply With Quote