Social media is ripping apart society, says guy who helped it do that - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » Social media is ripping apart society, says guy who helped it do that

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2017, 08:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

I'm just a girl, with some horns

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008

Awards: 2
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Social media is ripping apart society, says guy who helped it do that

Former Facebook exec says social media is ripping apart society
Quote:
Another former Facebook executive has spoken out about the harm the social network is doing to civil society around the world. Chamath Palihapitiya, who joined Facebook in 2007 and became its vice president for user growth, said he feels “tremendous guilt” about the company he helped make. “I think we have created tools that are ripping apart the social fabric of how society works,” he told an audience at Stanford Graduate School of Business, before recommending people take a “hard break” from social media.

Palihapitiya’s criticisms were aimed not only at Facebook, but the wider online ecosystem. “The short-term, dopamine-driven feedback loops we’ve created are destroying how society works,” he said, referring to online interactions driven by “hearts, likes, thumbs-up.” “No civil discourse, no cooperation; misinformation, mistruth. And it’s not an American problem — this is not about Russians ads. This is a global problem.”
He's rich.
2 Users Said Awww!:
2 Users Like This:
Old 12-11-2017, 02:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Persistent Participant

Perpetually Perplexed

My Mood:
Hmm... I wonder though. If not for my Best Ever Husband, who is retired here with me, Facebook and a few threads in this forum would be me biggest source of social interaction. And they're pretty important to me as things are. But maybe... No. It seems to me that social media puts out a lot of bogus information but at the same time gets out a lot of good facts.
Kaimi Kyomoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 03:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

Head of the SLU Troll Tax Administration

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2006
Client: Firestorm

Awards: 1
The 2 Millionth Post Award 
Social Media has provided me with significantly more information about many of my family, friends, co-workers and acquaintances.... including information that I may not necessarily like.

I see what memes they think are funny (and I don't), what political stances they take, who they follow, what church they attend, all sorts of details that were relatively fuzzy before social media brought them to the fore. It cuts both way; I've found that I share a lot more with some people than I would have expected, and like them all the better for it; others.... not so much.

I learned (not entirely to my surprise) that my Texas red-neck side of the family was virulently anti-Obama (We need a Christian president!), virulently opposed to separation of church and state, opposed to gay marriage and enamored of prosperity Christianity. I'm no longer friends with them on Facebook, or in RL, because I now know the precise details of how little we have in common. My family in Mexico, on the other hand, shares my sensibilities about politics, pets, music and so many other nuances that I would never have learned without Facebook. I haven't seen many of them in several decades, but I feel like I know them all over again.

An office manager who left our company a few years back has turned out to be staunchly anti-Trump, a dear friend from Star Trek fandom days started posting alt-right anti-immigrant memes.

If social media is tearing us apart, it's because now we know who everyone really is, where before we gave them the benefit of the doubt.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

Singing along with old music

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Oct 4 2009
Business: Moondrops ; Tempus Fugit; Faerycat Designs; sPunk
If social media is destroying us, it might be because they decide to play mind games with us.

Aribeth Zelin is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 12-11-2017, 03:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
captured like a Pokemans.

bitches love to be called beautiful.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: early 2006.

I deactivated my Facebook recently for a variety of reasons, but one of the main ones was seeing people I held dear show their ass in the worst ways.

Anti-immigration posts from people who tried their hand at emigrating to America when they were younger, who know immigrants (including myself) and who see no problem in the hypocrisy but a BIG problem in having it pointed out that they're not anti-immigrant so much as anti-POC.

Just like I don't need to see a photo of every single smoothie bowl you pretend to eat, I don't need to know every thought that passed through your head while you were crapping it out later that night. Social media makes it easy to share any old nonsense.

I can't believe the things that you'll say
To keep me around and close to your side.

-- Film School - Compare.

When a country is full of food, and exporting it, there can be no famine.
-- George Bernard Shaw.
Deca! is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Likes This:
Old 12-11-2017, 04:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
I rarely use FB, and I've noticed that most people I know, including younger nieces/nephews hardly use it anymore. They have their conversations in private except for birthday wishes, a funny anecdote, or something cultural/a happening.

(Except for one girl who wasn't exactly a good friend in secondary school who posts about everything. I don't have the heart to defriend her, although I suppose she probably wouldn't even notice. lol)

I do think that if you include all of social media (Twitter, Reddit, Instagram, etc) then yes, there is an overload of angry voices and arguments and drama and urgency... and it can be very hard to turn it off without feeling that you will miss out on the conversation. Everyone carries the internet with them now in their pocket. They even have difficulty turning it off while they're driving. That's crazy! It's bound to affect us. How could it not? Breaking news used to be delivered to your door the next morning, or even only during tv news at 6 or 11 pm. The turmoil is just constant. And everything is amplified. For most people under the age of idk 35, the thought of walking around without your ''phone'' is absurd.
Isabeau Imako is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 12-11-2017, 04:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

So I shall remain ...a stranger

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 06/14/2005 then 04/06/2008
Client: Singularity 1.8.6

The 2016 election opened my eyes to how much people are being led by the nose by social media social engineering ...ie, what you see on social media isn't necessarily a reflection of anything organic, of anyone's actual views. Instead it's simply a way to guage just how effective different forces (governments, corporations, whatever) are becoming at manipulation.

IE: "What bullshit are assholes sucking up NOW?"

Between that and the fact that social media has decreased in usefulness (at least for me) and I'm pretty much done with it other than chit-chat w/ some G+ aquaintences, vanity posting and maybe a little project promotion (which doesn't seem to help, but habit).

I think it's a healthy sign that we're starting to question the value of this crap. Sadly I don't think folks are going to take it far enough (figure out who's pulling the strings...on the left and right...and then take concrete action based on that knowledge) to make any real benefit.

Meaning we're not going to become inoculated against manipulation; we'll just do a myspace->facebook style jump to a different type of it
Han Held is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 12-11-2017, 04:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deca! View Post
I deactivated my Facebook recently for a variety of reasons, but one of the main ones was seeing people I held dear show their ass in the worst ways.

Anti-immigration posts from people who tried their hand at emigrating to America when they were younger, who know immigrants (including myself) and who see no problem in the hypocrisy but a BIG problem in having it pointed out that they're not anti-immigrant so much as anti-POC.

My Han Held fb has a lot of fuckers blocked.

My RL fb only follows 5 people, and there's a reason for that.
1 User Likes This:
Old 12-11-2017, 05:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Social media is vulnerable to passing along or amplifying misinformation and "mistruth", but no more so than any other web page or service.

I think it's important not to overestimate the power of government and special interest manipulation. None of your friends or family have been made to share or like messages and memes and ideas that they didn't already believe were true, or strongly want to be true. "Russian hackers" didn't convince anyone to start hating Hillary Clinton; they just emboldened people who already did. Nobody recently turned That One Guy into a misogynist douche; he became one way back in his formative years and was only recently encouraged to express that part of himself.
Dakota Tebaldi is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
2 Users Agreed:
3 Users Disagreed:
Old 12-11-2017, 06:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Tebaldi View Post
Social media is vulnerable to passing along or amplifying misinformation and "mistruth", but no more so than any other web page or service.

I think it's important not to overestimate the power of government and special interest manipulation. None of your friends or family have been made to share or like messages and memes and ideas that they didn't already believe were true, or strongly want to be true. "Russian hackers" didn't convince anyone to start hating Hillary Clinton; they just emboldened people who already did. Nobody recently turned That One Guy into a misogynist douche; he became one way back in his formative years and was only recently encouraged to express that part of himself.
I agree that people are responsible for their own character. That said, people are social creatures and if they believe that most of their friends think there's something to "Pizzagate" they're going to probably give it some thought. Not you, of course. But we're not talking about you ...we're talking about people.

1 User Likes This:
Old 12-11-2017, 06:48 PM   #11 (permalink)

Building Better Worlds since 1979

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jun 27, 2006
Client: 7 of them (I like testing)
I've been using online forums since about 1979, but I could never get into social networks like Facebook because so much of the content was inane. I do have a FB account, but it is in the name of one of my SL avatars, whose name is human-sounding. The only reason I have it is some places required a FB login to access, or only posted their news on it.

These days I mostly chat here, a few reddit subforums that I have an interest in, and a few blog/news sites where the comment community is good.
DanielRavenNest is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 12-11-2017, 08:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
SLU Fluffer

Cock Chafer

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2007
Client: Catznip or the Official but I dabble in others

The Penis Handler 
I’m not sure that Social Media ripped apart society, more like it unveiled what humans are without social norms and rules. Facebook may be no more responsible for what people post than the island was responsible for the society and behaviours the boys developed in Lord of the Flies.

Never mind the extreme behaviour for a moment, think about how many people do even mundane things online they wouldn’t in RL. Plaster your cubicle with selfies? Take pictures of your lunch to show your family? Let everyone you went to high school with know you are interested in attending that Tantric retreat?

Never mind even simple rules like not talking about religion and politics at work, which most won’t do, but then go home and Like a political post as if that’s not the same thing.

We are in the stage where like minded humans have a place to congregate, but we don’t know what to do next. The tech far outpaced our ability to develop the rest of what “society” needs in place to use it and to understand how to be together.

Last edited by Pancake; 12-11-2017 at 08:12 PM.
Pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:14 PM   #13 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebo Brink View Post
Social Media has provided me with significantly more information about many of my family, friends, co-workers and acquaintances.... including information that I may not necessarily like.

I see what memes they think are funny (and I don't), what political stances they take, who they follow, what church they attend, all sorts of details that were relatively fuzzy before social media brought them to the fore. It cuts both way; I've found that I share a lot more with some people than I would have expected, and like them all the better for it; others.... not so much.

I learned (not entirely to my surprise) that my Texas red-neck side of the family was virulently anti-Obama (We need a Christian president!), virulently opposed to separation of church and state, opposed to gay marriage and enamored of prosperity Christianity. I'm no longer friends with them on Facebook, or in RL, because I now know the precise details of how little we have in common. My family in Mexico, on the other hand, shares my sensibilities about politics, pets, music and so many other nuances that I would never have learned without Facebook. I haven't seen many of them in several decades, but I feel like I know them all over again.

An office manager who left our company a few years back has turned out to be staunchly anti-Trump, a dear friend from Star Trek fandom days started posting alt-right anti-immigrant memes.

If social media is tearing us apart, it's because now we know who everyone really is, where before we gave them the benefit of the doubt.
In that way it's sort of ironic that many people decry electronic communication as deficient, and online friendships as somehow less real or meaningful, compared to the "real-world" versions of those things. There are online friends, and even a few people I don't even think of as friends, whom I've never been in the same room with but that objectively I actually know better than I know anyone I've had a face-to-face interaction with, up to and including people I've supposedly known for my entire life.
3 Users Said Thanks :
Old 12-11-2017, 08:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
冬眠中

*SLU Supporter*

ekumental

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 9/29/2007
Business: Culprit
Client: LL beta

In Queso Emergency 
I have FB (well I pinched yure's japanese name ver FB), but 90% of the ppl I interact with are ppl from SL or FB. I only started using it to create a Culprit page. I enjoy talking to people I have met there.. its the terms we started out on. Some people have become closer friends and we interact on skype and through personal email as well.

My rl FB I closed.
I really didn't like hearing news that should be very personal, on FB announced to the world.
Since my rl family and friends got into FB, there are no more personal emails.. no one on one communication. Everything is FB only.

And thats fine; if they want to interact with close family, personal friends and random strangers they gathered on FB all on the same level, I don't have to participate.
So maybe nobody ever lets me know that someone has died or been born or .. whatever
They don't care enough to keep it personal, so why should I?

So on one hand, from where I stand.. FB is teh evol... and on the other hand it is not.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:23 PM   #15 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

I really don't use FB either. I'm pretty sure I started an account at some point - that did not have my real name on it - but shoot I haven't checked it in many years.

I thought FB actively deleted accounts for SL characters?
Old 12-11-2017, 08:24 PM   #16 (permalink)

I finally got it all together, but now I forget where I put it.

My Mood:
I was recently complaining about how stuff I'm actually interested in on FB routinely get lost under the political screeds some of my friends feel compelled to post multiple times per day.

Seriously, I want to read all about my friend's new puppy and see the pictures of kids and vacation pics. To me - that is what FB is fucking for - keeping up with friends and family I don't get to see in person regularly. Keep the politics shit on Twitter - even though I'm still locked out of my account.

And it annoys the piss out of me when someone suggests that online friends aren't real friends. I have online friends that I've been friends with since I first came online in 1997.
Zaida Gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 12-11-2017, 09:51 PM   #17 (permalink)
Society's Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

SL Join Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabeau Imako View Post
I rarely use FB, and I've noticed that most people I know, including younger nieces/nephews hardly use it anymore. They have their conversations in private except for birthday wishes, a funny anecdote, or something cultural/a happening.

(Except for one girl who wasn't exactly a good friend in secondary school who posts about everything. I don't have the heart to defriend her, although I suppose she probably wouldn't even notice. lol)

I do think that if you include all of social media (Twitter, Reddit, Instagram, etc) then yes, there is an overload of angry voices and arguments and drama and urgency... and it can be very hard to turn it off without feeling that you will miss out on the conversation. Everyone carries the internet with them now in their pocket. They even have difficulty turning it off while they're driving. That's crazy! It's bound to affect us. How could it not? Breaking news used to be delivered to your door the next morning, or even only during tv news at 6 or 11 pm. The turmoil is just constant. And everything is amplified. For most people under the age of idk 35, the thought of walking around without your ''phone'' is absurd.
The bolded part. Sorry, not true. I'm not the only one either.
Believe or you will not see.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 12-11-2017, 09:59 PM   #18 (permalink)
Society's Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

SL Join Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by eku Zhong View Post
I have FB (well I pinched yure's japanese name ver FB), but 90% of the ppl I interact with are ppl from SL or FB. I only started using it to create a Culprit page. I enjoy talking to people I have met there.. its the terms we started out on. Some people have become closer friends and we interact on skype and through personal email as well.

My rl FB I closed.
I really didn't like hearing news that should be very personal, on FB announced to the world.
Since my rl family and friends got into FB, there are no more personal emails.. no one on one communication. Everything is FB only.

And thats fine; if they want to interact with close family, personal friends and random strangers they gathered on FB all on the same level, I don't have to participate.
So maybe nobody ever lets me know that someone has died or been born or .. whatever
They don't care enough to keep it personal, so why should I?

So on one hand, from where I stand.. FB is teh evol... and on the other hand it is not.
My family has done me the same way. I had to find out my favorite niece was pregnant by seeing it on her FB. Just a few weeks later she had the baby and no one has bothered to tell me, what she had or even a name. Since my father passed, it's like I don't exist anymore.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 12-11-2017, 10:32 PM   #19 (permalink)
冬眠中

*SLU Supporter*

ekumental

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 9/29/2007
Business: Culprit
Client: LL beta

In Queso Emergency 

awwwwwwwwwwwww nobody wants to fight with you?

me, I couldn't be arsed. If you were on FB you would know I am too busy singing Jingle Bells to my cat.

eku Zhong is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Yay!:
1 User Likes This:
Old 12-11-2017, 10:36 PM   #20 (permalink)
SLU Fluffer

Cock Chafer

My Mood:

The Penis Handler 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabeau Imako View Post

I learned that I could click on someone’s post in my feed and Unfollow without them knowing. Technically we are still listed as friends, she can respond to my post, I see her replies on other friends posts, and if I choose to go to her page I can read her 10 posts a day but they never show in my feed. It’s the only way I’ve been able to avoid the family drama of not unfriending people but making FB tolerable to log into occasionally to see pictures of my niece and nephew.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:44 PM   #21 (permalink)
SLU Fluffer

Cock Chafer

My Mood:

The Penis Handler 
And then there’s my mom, who posts on FB, then texts me to see if I’ve seen her post....
Heaven forbid I don’t log in for a few weeks to obligatory click something to prove I’m ok because I get a serious toned phone call “What’s wrong, you’ve been very quiet on FB. You know you can’t hide these things from your mother”.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:54 PM   #22 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

Singing along with old music

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Oct 4 2009
Business: Moondrops ; Tempus Fugit; Faerycat Designs; sPunk
I only have my current FB account in the hopes the baby I gave up for adoption will contact me - but considering its been almost 28 years, I've about given up hope - and there you go - though I do use it to follow celebrity kitties, fox pages and musicians, as well as a few folks I know. Oh and to get a free DNA test.

I feel so lame now.
Aribeth Zelin is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 12-11-2017, 10:58 PM   #23 (permalink)

Now this is going through my head.

Hare Krishna Hare Krishna
Krishna Krishna Hare Hare
Hare Ranma Hare Ranma
Ranma Ranma Hare Hare

Beads, flowers, freedom, happiness!
Beads, flowers, freedom, happiness!

Wanda Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Yay!:
1 User Said WTF?:
1 User Likes This:
Old 12-11-2017, 10:59 PM   #24 (permalink)
SLU Fluffer

Cock Chafer

My Mood:

The Penis Handler 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aribeth Zelin View Post
I only have my current FB account in the hopes the baby I gave up for adoption will contact me - but considering its been almost 28 years, I've about given up hope - and there you go - though I do use it to follow celebrity kitties, fox pages and musicians, as well as a few folks I know. Oh and to get a free DNA test.

I feel so lame now.
Are you kidding me?!! Lame? That’s the best fucken reason on the planet to have a FB Account. Hell it might prove to be FB only redeeming purpose in the end. Don’t give up hope. A friend of mine, adopted, found her bio siblings this past summer and she’s 53.
2 Users Hugged You:
Old 12-11-2017, 11:33 PM   #25 (permalink)
But it refused. <3

*SLU Supporter*

I'm a regular Victor Victoria