Social media is ripping apart society, says guy who helped it do that - Page 3 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » Social media is ripping apart society, says guy who helped it do that

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2017, 06:39 PM   #51 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

Dressed up like a car crash

My Mood:
Client: Black Dragon, FS, SL Viewer
a little fuel for the "social media is ripping us apart" fire

Facebook Is The Enemy Now

Quote:
Itís long past time for the biggest internet companies to pull their weight in society. Trembling startups not long ago, the global technology superelite have amassed the effective power of major nation-states, but without accountability, responsibility for their public influence, transparency, checks and balances or even awareness that they might be a problem rather than a solution. Focus on Facebook and Google, plus Twitter. They are radically unregulated. They hold our most intimate personal information. They have destabilized traditional, fact-based journalism. They have vast wealth ― a combined market value of $1.2 trillion ― and the power that accompanies it. In Washington and other capitals, they lobby hard for their self-interests, often against ours. And during an era when even the National Security Agency gets hacked, they have created data stores that could fundamentally threaten our democracy and others.
Quote:
Imagine that back in the 1950s, the U.S. Postal Service opened every letter and recorded its contents, while the phone company taped every call. Whatís happening now is like that. Back then, though, no one had the computing power, digital storage capacity, or algorithms to make sense of so much data. Now itís easy. And folks then would have raised hell if the post office or Ma Bell had invaded their privacy; now we give our privacy away. That has enabled a tiny group of companies to establish themselves as hosts of much of our public discourse, by accumulating and exploiting data better than the competition.
2 Users Agreed:
Old 12-20-2017, 06:45 PM   #52 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Spring 2007
I'm pretty sure we will soon give up any remaining notion of privacy whether we like it or not. It is frightening to think about, but I think the barn door has been open for a decade now, and it is too late to close it now.
AnoukPantoufle is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 12-27-2017, 02:41 PM   #53 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

Dressed up like a car crash

My Mood:
Client: Black Dragon, FS, SL Viewer
Here is another rich guy concerned about social media. His comments were part of a GREAT interview with Prince Harry.

Obama Warns Social Media Risks Splintering Society

Quote:
“One of the dangers of the Internet is that people can have entirely different realities, they can be just cocooned in information that reinforces their current biases.”

Obama has previously warned that social media platforms can lead people to make snap judgments about complex decisions although he has refrained from criticizing his successor Donald Trump who regularly uses Twitter.
Soda Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 05:20 PM   #54 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/20/2008
Client: LL Viewer V3

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Tebaldi View Post
I really don't use FB either. I'm pretty sure I started an account at some point - that did not have my real name on it - but shoot I haven't checked it in many years.

I thought FB actively deleted accounts for SL characters?
This just reminded me that I had created a Facebook account for my SL persona. I just checked, and she's still alive. I had created the account a few years ago with the intent of keeping connected with my SL friends outside of SL, but as of right now, she is still completely friendless. I really should do something about that.

Last edited by Katheryne Helendale; 12-27-2017 at 05:30 PM.
Katheryne Helendale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 04:29 AM   #55 (permalink)
Squirrelly

Pancakes for all!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 24, 2006
Client: Frestorm, Singularity, Official

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katheryne Helendale View Post
This just reminded me that I had created a Facebook account for my SL persona. I just checked, and she's still alive. I had created the account a few years ago with the intent of keeping connected with my SL friends outside of SL, but as of right now, she is still completely friendless. I really should do something about that.
You can add Clara Dimitriaski.
Beezle Warburton is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Yay!: