Social media is ripping apart society, says guy who helped it do that - Page 2 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » Social media is ripping apart society, says guy who helped it do that

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2017, 10:44 PM   #26 (permalink)
冬眠中

*SLU Supporter*

ekumental

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 9/29/2007
Business: Culprit
Client: LL beta

Awards: 1
In Queso Emergency 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanda Belinda View Post
Now this is going through my head.

Hare Krishna Hare Krishna
Krishna Krishna Hare Hare
Hare Ranma Hare Ranma
Ranma Ranma Hare Hare

Beads, flowers, freedom, happiness!
Beads, flowers, freedom, happiness!

Hair Hare Krishna - YouTube
Old 12-12-2017, 01:22 AM   #27 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

Heretical Raccoon Skunk with a rainbow pootbeam

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2010
Years & years ago I had a Musicians Myspace & quite enjoyed it for a while, then an very active Twitter for gaming, among other activities. I did not migrate to FB & probably never will.
My phone is for close contacts & work only, reading the news. No games, music, etc, etc, or even banking on it atm - I hate walking with headphones on. It's only my second smartphone as I was an extremely late adopter, for once.
And Aribeth - as an adopted kid who did reach out to my birth Mum after 28 years, I'd like to say I'm glad I left it later, at least after that teenage period and after becoming a parent myself - gave me a much better understanding of my Mum's choice.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:45 AM   #28 (permalink)
Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

SL Join Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by eku Zhong View Post

awwwwwwwwwwwww nobody wants to fight with you?

me, I couldn't be arsed. If you were on FB you would know I am too busy singing Jingle Bells to my cat.

You have to be careful not to start new games to play with cats.

Believe or you will not see.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 12-12-2017, 01:47 AM   #29 (permalink)
Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aribeth Zelin View Post
I only have my current FB account in the hopes the baby I gave up for adoption will contact me - but considering its been almost 28 years, I've about given up hope - and there you go - though I do use it to follow celebrity kitties, fox pages and musicians, as well as a few folks I know. Oh and to get a free DNA test.

I feel so lame now.
Don't give up. Have you posted on adoption.com? It's how my daughter found me after almost 40 years.
2 Users Hugged You:
1 User Said Thanks:
3 Users Like This:
Old 12-12-2017, 02:47 AM   #30 (permalink)
Persistent Participant
Banned from posting Why?

My Mood:
I use Facebook to keep in touch with the other old women who joined so they can see the pictures their children post of their grandkids.
Kaimi Kyomoon is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
2 Users Like This:
Old 12-12-2017, 07:42 AM   #31 (permalink)
state of non-being

The maple kind?

My Mood:
Client: Firestorm
I started on FB back in 2008 or so, at the urging of other family members. For awhile it was great, trying to find old friends I lost contact with after high school and college. It was kind of like an invisible string connecting us back together. And then 2016 came, and it all went to hell in a hand basket! I found out real quick I really had nothing in common with about 100 people on my "friends" list, even family members. But on the other hand, I found out there were about 20 people from my distant past that I really, really like now, and have reestablished rl contact with. So it's a mixed blessing.

But I do agree that the only thing social media itself is responsible for is allowing people to show the world who they really are, and in many cases it's pretty ugly. I look at it like a public service of sorts!
Ambiguous is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 12-12-2017, 08:04 AM   #32 (permalink)

I finally got it all together, but now I forget where I put it.

My Mood:
Quote:
I only have my current FB account in the hopes the baby I gave up for adoption will contact me - but considering its been almost 28 years, I've about given up hope - and there you go - though I do use it to follow celebrity kitties, fox pages and musicians, as well as a few folks I know. Oh and to get a free DNA test.

I feel so lame now.
We only just recently found out the name of my step-father's birth mother. Unfortunately, we have not been able to track her down.
Zaida Gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 03:41 PM   #33 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

Dressed up like a car crash

My Mood:
Client: Black Dragon, FS, SL Viewer
Quote:

I feel so lame now.
I could never imagine a good reason to have Facebook, until now.
2 Users Agreed:
Old 12-12-2017, 03:50 PM   #34 (permalink)

All I want is coffee and 5 million dollars

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
Baby Boomers love Facebook, so let them have it

Quote:
For the past few years I’ve had a running joke on Instagram that functions on the premise that John Mayer is my son. My mom hates this joke and doesn’t understand it at all. She especially hates it when I post images of John superimposed into photos of my actual sons. She protests in the comments. This joke is not funny, she insists. Why and how is this joke funny? I don’t blame her for not liking this joke. Appreciating it requires that you possess a deep intertextual understanding of John Mayer and the nature of his specific brand of commodified celebrity. This is a joke intended for no more than like ten of my friends.

For perspective, I sometimes think of my wonderful late grandma, Helen — my mom’s mom. When my mom was in her thirties, and making jokes with her friends — running jokes with tons of subtext, maybe a little crudeness in the mix — Grandma Helen would never have overheard those jokes. They would not have occurred in airspace shared by Grandma Helen. They occupied completely different social milieux! They kept it separate, kept it clean — and saved themselves a lot of mutual antipathy in the process.

Facebook is a platform that rewards inflated pride and strong opinions. It was founded by college kids while they were in college, which makes perfect poetic sense. Never did I engage in more self-mythologizing than I did as a college kid. My friends and I were legends! We did epic shit! I do not feel this way anymore. I’m running out of energy for boasting about my life. I still feel vaguely legendary when I’m partying with my friends, but I know better than to document this feeling with photos and post them online. I’ve seen photos of me partying — I look old in them. My lipstick is always smudged. On top of that, in this political climate, ideological debates exhaust me because I don't believe that anyone's mind can be changed anymore, so there go those once righteous status updates.

Isabeau Imako is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 12-12-2017, 10:10 PM   #35 (permalink)
Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabeau Imako View Post
I'm supposed to be a baby boomer (1959) and I can tell you that the title is a load of bullshit. ALL of the boomers I know hate FB and have nothing to do with it.

In fact, the whole article is a load of bullshit.
1 User Groaned:
2 Users Laughed:
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 12-12-2017, 10:51 PM   #36 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

I'm just a girl, with some horns

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008

Awards: 2
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Facebook responds to former VP who said social media is destroying society
Quote:
Facebook has taken the unusual step of directly responding to a former employee who recently excoriated the biggest social networks for “ripping apart the social fabric of how society works.” And the company’s retort might surprise some people. Facebook isn’t outright dismissing or rejecting the claims of Chamath Palihapitiya, its former vice president of user growth. Instead, the underlining message seems to be that the Facebook of today is a far cry from the company he once worked for, and his perceptions are out-of-date.

“Chamath has not been at Facebook for over six years,” a company spokesperson said. “When Chamath was at Facebook we were focused on building new social media experiences and growing Facebook around the world. Facebook was a very different company back then and as we have grown we have realized how our responsibilities have grown too.”

Facebook points to its “work and research with outside experts and academics” to get a better grasp on the effects that come with our attachment to social media, which for many people has only grown more deep-seated and compulsive with time. The company claims it uses those learnings throughout the product development process. “We are willing to reduce our profitability to make sure the right investments are made,” Facebook says.
And then the face of the Banality of Evil appears.

Old 12-13-2017, 02:01 AM   #37 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

So I shall remain ...a stranger

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 06/14/2005 then 04/06/2008
Client: Singularity 1.8.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfEyes View Post
I'm supposed to be a baby boomer (1959) and I can tell you that the title is a load of bullshit. ALL of the boomers I know hate FB and have nothing to do with it.
Born in 67 and most of the folks I encounter in the FB groups I read are all in their sixties and retired.
Han Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 07:56 AM   #38 (permalink)
state of non-being

The maple kind?

My Mood:
Boomers account for less than 15% of overall FB users.
Ambiguous is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 12-13-2017, 08:40 AM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Guity View Post
Boomers account for less than 15% of overall FB users.
They also account for less than or somewhere around 15% of the total population.
Wanda Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:17 AM   #40 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

Singing along with old music

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Oct 4 2009
Business: Moondrops ; Tempus Fugit; Faerycat Designs; sPunk
My mom is a boomer and can't stand facebook, can't stand social media, and can barely be talked into keeping her cell phone, sometimes [she has it for emergencies]. Her friends, well, she has at least one friend who won't put her phone down while hanging out with her friends.

I'm '67, and I don't use it much, but I do like social media, just not twitter and FB - they are hard to keep track of what is going on, honestly. I prefer forums or plurk.

Aribeth Zelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 05:13 PM   #41 (permalink)

All I want is coffee and 5 million dollars

Quote:

So you and your friends hate and have nothing to do with FB yet everything in that article is bullshit because spending so little time on it, you're an expert on FB?

They're making observations about the people who are on it and who actually use it. There's no need for you to take it personally.
Isabeau Imako is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This:
Old 12-13-2017, 05:58 PM   #42 (permalink)

SL Join Date: April 2006
Business: [e bar]
Client: FS

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
I find FB and other social media mostly helpful in keeping up my sprout. If I can't get her to answer the phone, I check her FB, Snap Chat or Instagram. This way I can see that she is in fact not laying in a ditch somewhere but just ignoring her mother's phone call.

FB has also helped me find out the truth about some people; a double-edged sword that. But in general this boomer could do without it.
Ellen Cordeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Likes This:
Old 12-13-2017, 07:36 PM   #43 (permalink)
Persistent Participant
Banned from posting Why?

My Mood:
Quote:

Wait wait I'm an original baby boomer, born in '47 and most (many? some?) of the boomers I know are my face book friends. Also 1 of 1 birth children, 2 of 3 step-children, at least 1 child-in-law, 1 of 2 half-siblings-in-law, 2 of 4 nieces and nephews and 1 of 9 grandchildren. Also a several un-related people who are younger than I by varying amounts. But most of my 77 fb friends seem to be about my age. Um. I seem to have forgotten what I was trying to prove here. But just saying.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:17 PM   #44 (permalink)
Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabeau Imako View Post
So you and your friends hate and have nothing to do with FB yet everything in that article is bullshit because spending so little time on it, you're an expert on FB?

They're making observations about the people who are on it and who actually use it. There's no need for you to take it personally.
I am on it. I rarely ever post anything on my page. The only time I ever really use it is when I need to contact what few family members are on it or I follow a link that takes me to FB.

I never claimed to be an expert. Those are your words that came from your mind, not mine.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:21 PM   #45 (permalink)
Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaimi Kyomoon View Post
Wait wait I'm an original baby boomer, born in '47 and most (many? some?) of the boomers I know are my face book friends. Also 1 of 1 birth children, 2 of 3 step-children, at least 1 child-in-law, 1 of 2 half-siblings-in-law, 2 of 4 nieces and nephews and 1 of 9 grandchildren. Also a several un-related people who are younger than I by varying amounts. But most of my 77 fb friends seem to be about my age. Um. I seem to have forgotten what I was trying to prove here. But just saying.
Read my post above.

You have about 65 more friends on FB than I do (that is friends and family combined).
Old 12-14-2017, 03:18 AM   #46 (permalink)
Persistent Participant
Banned from posting Why?

My Mood:
Quote:
Read my post above.

You have about 65 more friends on FB than I do (that is friends and family combined).
Unlike me you must have a life. I thought I understood you to say that all of your boomer friends hate Facebook? It looks as if I'm about 10 years older than you. I kind of like Facebook and most of my contemporary friends are on it with me. I did just scroll back and read all your posts in this thread, I think. I'm not sure which one you mean.
Old 12-14-2017, 02:20 PM   #47 (permalink)
Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

Quote:
Unlike me you must have a life. I thought I understood you to say that all of your boomer friends hate Facebook? It looks as if I'm about 10 years older than you. I kind of like Facebook and most of my contemporary friends are on it with me. I did just scroll back and read all your posts in this thread, I think. I'm not sure which one you mean.
I did say "above" which would indicate the previous or most recent post other than the current one.

This is what I was pointing out to you.

Quote:
I am on it. I rarely ever post anything on my page. The only time I ever really use it is when I need to contact what few family members are on it or I follow a link that takes me to FB.
The point I am trying to get across is not ALL boomers like or use FB. People are individuals and should never be shoved into a box or label with everyone else in their age group. We are NOT ALL THE SAME. So don't treat me or consider me to be like everyone else my age. I'm not the same and I never will be. And there are thousands of others that feel the same as I do.
Old 12-14-2017, 03:56 PM   #48 (permalink)
Persistent Participant
Banned from posting Why?

My Mood:
WolfEyes I'm sorry I was insensitive. Truly I respect what you say about not being labeled. I do know that many, likely most, baby boomers have better things to do than mess with fb. I thought I was being cute by relating my own situation with it.
3 Users Hugged You:
Old 12-14-2017, 04:19 PM   #49 (permalink)
Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

Quote:
WolfEyes I'm sorry I was insensitive. Truly I respect what you say about not being labeled. I do know that many, likely most, baby boomers have better things to do than mess with fb. I thought I was being cute by relating my own situation with it.
No worries. I just don't like having to speak up about things that to me should be obvious and it tends to show in my words. Sometimes my reluctance gets misconstrued as anger. In a sense that is correct but my anger has nothing to do with the other person and is really directed at myself, rather than others. My reluctance comes from having spoken up and the reactions I've gotten over the years. I know I shouldn't be defensive about it and I do try to avoid kneejerk reactions. Like all other humans, I don't always succeed.

1 User Hugged You:
Old 12-15-2017, 01:27 AM   #50 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

Dressed up like a car crash

My Mood:
Client: Black Dragon, FS, SL Viewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Xue View Post
Facebook responds to former VP who said social media is destroying society

And then the face of the Banality of Evil appears.

By "building new social media experiences" they mean doing underhanded things like trying to screw with peoples emotions

Facebook reveals news feed experiment to control emotions

What FB and Twitter can control, they have tried to control for their best interests, not the public or the user. What they can't control, like Jenna Abrams. they usually don't mention unless caught. They have been the tool for some pretty dangerous things.

And yes, many corporations have tried to do this same kind of influencing as far back since B-movie director William Castle used tricks to scare people into seeing his movies in the late 50's, but never on such a global scale and never so recklessly. On the other hand, the massive influence they have is on theirs because we have chosen to give it to them.
Soda Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote