FCC plans total repeal of net neutrality rules - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » FCC plans total repeal of net neutrality rules

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2017, 12:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

Dressed up like a car crash

My Mood:
Client: Black Dragon, FS, SL Viewer
FCC plans total repeal of net neutrality rules

Well, that was nice while it lasted.

FCC plans total repeal of net neutrality rules

Quote:
Federal Communications Commission Chairman Ajit Pai will reveal plans to his fellow commissioners on Tuesday to fully dismantle the agency's Obama-era net neutrality regulations, people familiar with the plans said, in a major victory for the telecom industry in the long-running policy debate.
Pai is such a total jerk.
Soda Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 06:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

Building Better Worlds since 1979

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jun 27, 2006
Client: 7 of them (I like testing)
Please don't blame the entire agency for the actions of three Republican commissioners. The two Democratic commissioners and likely most of the agency staff disagree with this action.

Our best chance is to flip Congress next year, and have them vote Title II status into law for information services. Then it will be out of the hands of the Commissioners. Comments and petitions to the agency are being ignored, and even fraudulent (dead people have apparently sent in comments). So they aren't listening to the people.
DanielRavenNest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Discount

Jesus is coming. Look busy!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: August 21, 2007
Client: Anything But 2
I'm trying to recall some time when a "major victory for the telecom industry" was good news for anybody except the telecom industry.

......Still trying ..... I'll get back to you.

U.S. Only
Casey Pelous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Society's Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

SL Join Date: April 2004
It was nice knowing you Casey.
Believe or you will not see.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 11-21-2017, 09:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfEyes View Post
It was nice knowing you Casey.
Exactly. I hope little sites like SLU aren't totally screwed.
Wanda Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Is all of Donnie's cabinet trying to see who can be the worst?

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanda Belinda View Post
Exactly. I hope little sites like SLU aren't totally screwed.
That is the big fear. I think we can pretty much guarantee everything like encryption (except maybe https by big banks) is toast.
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 11-21-2017, 10:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/20/2008
Client: LL Viewer V3

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Spengler View Post
Is all of Donnie's cabinet trying to see who can be the worst?
Pretty much. It seems to be the Cheeto-in-Chief's - and his cabinet by proxy - singular goal to wipe away all evidence that a black president ever existed.

Katheryne Helendale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Society's Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

SL Join Date: April 2004
Kinda hard to wipe the memory of millions (even billions if you count the world pop) of people who pass on knowledge to their children. No matter what they do, people will remember Barack Obama, first black President of the United States of America.

The Mississippi isn't the Nile and this isn't Ancient Egypt. Even the Egyptians/Ptolemies couldn't completely obliterate Pharaohs though they tried.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
bunneh

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 2006
Client: Firestorm and Project Bento
It's actually even somewhat worse than that:

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...utrality-laws/

Quote:
In addition to ditching its own net neutrality rules, the Federal Communications Commission also plans to tell state and local governments that they cannot impose local laws regulating broadband service.
Quote:
It isn't clear yet exactly how extensive the preemption will be. Preemption would clearly prevent states from imposing net neutrality laws similar to the ones being repealed by the FCC, but it could also prevent state laws related to the privacy of Internet users or other consumer protections. Pai's staff said that states and other localities do not have jurisdiction over broadband because it is an interstate service and that it would subvert federal policy for states and localities to impose their own rules.
"Separated lovers cheat absence by a thousand fancies which have their own reality. They are prevented from seeing one another and they cannot write; nevertheless they find countless mysterious ways of corresponding, by sending each other the song of birds, the scent of flowers, the laughter of children, the light of the sun, the sighing of the wind, and the gleam of the stars - all the beauties of creation." -- Victor Hugo
Porsupah Ree is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 11-21-2017, 11:53 PM   #11 (permalink)

Reddit is doing its part to make people aware of the issue. Most of the threads on the front page of a not logged in user are about it and marked urgent.

(Only in spoiler tags because it is a very tall image)

Wanda Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 11-22-2017, 06:18 AM   #12 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfEyes View Post
Kinda hard to wipe the memory of millions (even billions if you count the world pop) of people who pass on knowledge to their children. No matter what they do, people will remember Barack Obama, first black President of the United States of America.

The Mississippi isn't the Nile and this isn't Ancient Egypt. Even the Egyptians/Ptolemies couldn't completely obliterate Pharaohs though they tried.
You know it digs at him every day that Obama became president BEFORE him. Not only that but people still love him and at this rate it looks like, looking back, everyone will like Nixon more than Donnie. Yes, even his 30% because they will die eventually and their kids will realize what he did to their families.

As to erasure, it is pretty funny (although sad) to watch anyone even try. It is a pretty fundamental fact that you can not erase data from the universe. Yes, sorry anyone who thought deleting a file actually removes it.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:24 AM   #13 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanda Belinda View Post
Reddit is doing its part to make people aware of the issue. Most of the threads on the front page of a not logged in user are about it and marked urgent.

(Only in spoiler tags because it is a very tall image)

My fave is 'we need players for the new FCC raid boss'.
1 User Laughed:
2 Users Like This:
Old 11-22-2017, 07:13 AM   #14 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
If this does happen, what effect (if any) does it have on people outside the USA who want to watch Netflix or YouTube?
Innula Zenovka is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 11-22-2017, 08:36 AM   #15 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Bloody wanker Ajit Pai is crowing about it on Twitter, like it's something to be proud of.

"And now I'm going to show you something really cool."

The previous is a cybernetic datum published - in direct contravention of DoD Regulation #229RR3X3 - as being conducive to the physical, psychological and/or social well-being of the population.
Argent Stonecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 11-22-2017, 09:15 AM   #16 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 3/9/2006
Client: Firestorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innula Zenovka View Post
If this does happen, what effect (if any) does it have on people outside the USA who want to watch Netflix or YouTube?
I don't know how their infrastructure works, but I imagine it will have little effect, more so on Netflix. Given how strict content makers are on licensing and Netflix being regional anyway, I imagine they have and use local data centers. IE, Netflix Europe would have local servers and content for Europe, Netflix Austrailia would be local to there.

It also makes sense from a latency perspective.

YouTube may be another story, but more because it may become more expensive for people to upload their own videos, from the US. That's MAY. There is a lot of alarmism very this issue right now. We really don't KNOW what the fallout would be, the whole website based plans thing could happen, but we don't know it will.

http://allaroundthegrid.blogspot.com/
Ramen Jedburgh is online now   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Agreed:
Old 11-22-2017, 09:18 AM   #17 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
I doubt much of anything right away because the primary impact will be on smaller companies. Especially ones serving US customers.

It most likely will have ripple and delayed effects though. When a major backbone that their traffic flows over merges with a streaming service the company will most likely prioritize their own service no matter how much money netflix and youtube throw at them.

Remember, the network treats censorship (which this effectively is) as damage and routes around it. Nobody has been stupid enough to run an experiment of what would happen if the net decided to route around the entirety of the US though. Probably the closest you can get are WW3 simulations.
2 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Agreed:
Old 11-22-2017, 09:23 AM   #18 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramen Jedburgh View Post
I don't know how their infrastructure works, but I imagine it will have little effect, more so on Netflix. Given how strict content makers are on licensing and Netflix being regional anyway, I imagine they have and use local data centers. IE, Netflix Europe would have local servers and content for Europe, Netflix Austrailia would be local to there.

It also makes sense from a latency perspective.

YouTube may be another story, but more because it may become more expensive for people to upload their own videos, from the US. That's MAY. There is a lot of alarmism very this issue right now. We really don't KNOW what the fallout would be, the whole website based plans thing could happen, but we don't know it will.
The way youtube operates, and most likely netflix, is with scattered datacenters providing content but only one central place (like authorizing logins). The traffic to the central place is the problem, if it slows to a crawl those datacenters around the world are pointless.

I am thinking of things more fundamental to the net that are not well spread out too. Fortunately a lot of things are more geographically spread out now, but services that still have their roots in arpanet may be in trouble.
1 User Agreed:
Old 11-22-2017, 09:37 AM   #19 (permalink)
SLERPee

while(trump || pence){resist();}

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 07/15/2005
Business: Trudeau Classic Sailing Yachts
Excuse me while I strangle the next callow idiot going on about "no difference between the parties". The only upside is that there may be less of these morons cluttering up the internet.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:48 AM   #20 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 3/9/2006
Client: Firestorm
Quote:
The way youtube operates, and most likely netflix, is with scattered datacenters providing content but only one central place (like authorizing logins). The traffic to the central place is the problem, if it slows to a crawl those datacenters around the world are pointless.

I am thinking of things more fundamental to the net that are not well spread out too. Fortunately a lot of things are more geographically spread out now, but services that still have their roots in arpanet may be in trouble.
Yeah I figure YouTube has data centers all over. The main difference I see that I guess wasn't super clear was that YouTube's data centers are more likely to be clones of each other in terms of content while Netflix's regional entities are almost separate companies with different names, since that content is a lot more region locked due to copyright etc.
Ramen Jedburgh is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 11-22-2017, 09:49 AM   #21 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

When the topic is discussed here in the UK, it's in the context of a rather different regulatory and commercial environment from what you have in the USA. It's certainly the case that the vast majority of people who have access to broadband also have a choice between at three or four major competing suppliers, so whatever the regulations, it would be very dangerous for anyone to start deliberately throttling services.

If that happened -- if, for example, Sky decided to throttle Netflix or Amazon in order to promote its own cable video services -- then its competitors would simply promote the fact they didn't, and watch the subscriptions flow in. As I understand it, though, the US market isn't anything like so competitive, so ISPs don't have to worry so much about people taking their business elsewhere.

When it is discussed here, it's generally in terms of offering particular services on preferential terms. For example, my smartphone carrier, Three.co.uk, offers something called Go Binge, whereby Netflix and some other services don't count against your data allowance, while other video services do. That's apparently contrary to the principle of net neutrality as understood in the USA, though it's legal under British and EU regulations.

Similarly, while it would be unlawful (as well as being commercial suicide) for my cable provider and ISP, Virgin, artificially to throttle -- for example -- Amazon Prime videos to anything less than the 100Mbps download speed that's part of the package I pay for, there's nothing (or, rather, no regulations) to stop them offering me a free speed boost when I'm watching movies I get as part of their cable package.
1 User Agreed:
Old 11-22-2017, 10:07 AM   #22 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramen Jedburgh View Post
Yeah I figure YouTube has data centers all over. The main difference I see that I guess wasn't super clear was that YouTube's data centers are more likely to be clones of each other in terms of content while Netflix's regional entities are almost separate companies with different names, since that content is a lot more region locked due to copyright etc.
Ah, thanks, not being a subscriber to it netflix is a black box to me. Yes, it sounds like they would be less vulnerable if the US site was not responding.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:11 AM   #23 (permalink)
I'm not Here!

hypnotized

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 1/25/2006
Business: looking for fresh start..
Client: Singularity
Send a message via Skype™ to Kalel
i imagine there will be allot of fighting when companies start implementing it.

im already curious if they will have a separate video game and steaming packages and which second life would fall under.

"The privilege of a lifetime is to become who you truly are. -Jung"
Kalel is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 11-22-2017, 10:23 AM   #24 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
As I understand it, though, the US market isn't anything like so competitive, so ISPs don't have to worry so much about people taking their business elsewhere.
Talk about a massive understatement!

I forget the numbers but you are lucky if you have more than 1 high speed service in your area. Not only that, what we call 'high speed' would be laughed at by many places around the globe.

For example, back in 2010 I had the business tier of speed hooked up. Which was 20 MBPS then and 50 now. Residential was 10 MBPS at the time and I laughed at that. My area of DC (which is hardly a ghetto or anything) finally was able to get 1 gig this year .... if you are willing to pay through the nose to get it. All of this is over a rather antiquated architecture too as that is your theoretical speed over a shared connection: if your neighbor is using a lot of bandwidth you will get less.
3 Users Said Thanks :
Old 11-22-2017, 11:02 AM   #25 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

Quote:
Talk about a massive understatement!

I forget the numbers but you are lucky if you have more than 1 high speed service in your area. Not only that, what we call 'high speed' would be laughed at by many places around the globe.

For example, back in 2010 I had the business tier of speed hooked up. Which was 20 MBPS then and 50 now. Residential was 10 MBPS at the time and I laughed at that. My area of DC (which is hardly a ghetto or anything) finally was able to get 1 gig this year .... if you are willing to pay through the nose to get it. All of this is over a rather antiquated architecture too as that is your theoretical speed over a shared connection: if your neighbor is using a lot of bandwidth you will get less.
Virgin have just upgraded (for free and without being asked) the download speed on my basic cable internet to 100Mbps, which I normally get (even during peak hours) as near as damn it.
1 User Likes This: