Brexit - Page 6 - SLUniverse Forums

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2017, 02:44 AM   #126 (permalink)

lesser spotted swivel eyed loon

My Mood:
Business: The Tiggerworks
Anything that pisses the daily mail off has got to be a good thing. The daily mail is like one giant Trump tweet.

It's about time. So far these 'rebels' have made lots of noise and then gone ahead and voted exactly as they were told to. Apart from Ken 'No Fucks Given' Clark who has consistently voted against his own party and earned himself a place as a bit of a hero for it.

Also the tory brexiteers hurling abuse at the rebels are being called out for their own past rebellion

Twitter
Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 12-14-2017, 08:40 AM   #127 (permalink)

Daily Mail "Newspaper of the year". More like crappy newspaper of the year.
Wanda Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:47 AM   #128 (permalink)
Just another muppet

*SLU Supporter*

Eh ?

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Spring 2007
Client: standard
If the Mail is your main news source, you live in a wicked world.
Sid II is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 12-14-2017, 12:38 PM   #129 (permalink)

Curious

SL Join Date: 11/28/2008
Client: Generally Singularity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid II View Post
If the Mail is your main news source, you live in a wicked world.
story <please feel free to skip>

around 2002 i was working in a job where i often had time on my hands and there were newspapers lying around that id end up reading.

i noticed that i often felt quite depressed and gloomy about the state of the world when i left work.

then reading one article one day, it suddenly occurred to me that i was being manipulated - and i re-read the paper and it confirmed what id felt.

paper was full of them and us stories - innocuous UNLESS you see the trend.

<end of story>

Today i wrote my first ever press complaint about this coverage. Its beyond a joke to call out mps doing their democratic duty, representing their constituents - nearly half of whom voted against brexit. And branding Corbyn a Marxist is totally stirring up the rabble. I feel for the mps whose faces plastered over the front page - several of whom have had serious threats made against them.

Enough is enough!

I hate that they are stirring up people to hate. Its really worrying me - and im aware im being pulled to one side. And i try very hard to not to hate people - and try and understand why they have their views.

And i have no idea what i can do to make things better again
Emma Krokus is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 12-14-2017, 02:57 PM   #130 (permalink)

My Mood:
Revealed: Teesside's foreign NHS workers 'we can't afford to lose with Brexit' - Gazette Live
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 12-14-2017, 03:55 PM   #131 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
Quote:
The Conservative MP Dominic Grieve has received death threats after leading a parliamentary rebellion that resulted in the prime minister’s first Commons defeat on Brexit.

The former attorney general, who has reported the most serious incidents to the police, said such threats should have “no part in the political process of a democracy”.

Others among the 11 Conservative politicians who defied a three-line whip in order to secure a vote for MPs on the final Brexit deal have also faced pressure. Antoinette Sandbach said she had also received “oblique” death threats, including phrases such as “you’ll get what’s coming to you”.

[....]

Sandbach also named the newspaper, adding that the front page was now “lining my cat’s litter tray”.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...exit-rebellion

I wonder what the RSPCA would say about that!
Innula Zenovka is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 12-16-2017, 08:24 PM   #132 (permalink)
bunneh

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 2006
Client: Firestorm and Project Bento
Brexit: Britons now back Remain over Leave by 10 points, exclusive poll shows | The Independent

Quote:
The British public has swung behind staying in the EU by its largest margin since the referendum, with those backing Remain outstripping Leavers by ten points, a new poll has revealed.

The exclusive survey for The Independent by BMG Research showed 51 per cent now back remaining in the union, while 41 per cent want Brexit.

Once “don’t knows” were encouraged to choose one way or the other, or excluded, the Remain lead rises to 11 points. Either way, it is the biggest gap since the June 2016 vote.
"Separated lovers cheat absence by a thousand fancies which have their own reality. They are prevented from seeing one another and they cannot write; nevertheless they find countless mysterious ways of corresponding, by sending each other the song of birds, the scent of flowers, the laughter of children, the light of the sun, the sighing of the wind, and the gleam of the stars - all the beauties of creation." -- Victor Hugo
Porsupah Ree is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 12-17-2017, 01:28 PM   #133 (permalink)

My Mood:
Tories now trying to roll back EU worker protection schemes. First, the working time directive.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk...ministers-urge

Quote:
the TUC said scrapping the directive could see millions of workers forced to work long hours, be stripped of their lunch breaks and lose their rights to paid holidays. “This is a straight-up attack on our rights at work. Millions could lose their paid holidays, and be forced to work ridiculously long hours,” general secretary Frances O’Grady fumed.
1 User Groaned:
3 Users Said Thanks :
Old 12-19-2017, 03:05 PM   #134 (permalink)
Eternal Newbie

*SLU Supporter*
Entirely without credibility

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 21 June 2009
Client: Firestorm
An interesting take on the situation: Britain’s problem is not with Europe, but with England
Arkady Arkright is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 12-20-2017, 10:33 AM   #135 (permalink)
bunneh

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
As seen in today's Times, apparently. ^_^

2 Users Laughed:
2 Users Like This:
Old 12-20-2017, 04:14 PM   #136 (permalink)

My Mood:
Twitter

Twitter

Last edited by Tigger; 12-20-2017 at 04:15 PM. Reason: added the second link
1 User Said WTF?:
1 User Laughed:
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 12-22-2017, 02:36 PM   #137 (permalink)
Eternal Newbie

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
Tweet that sums it all up, IMHO https://mobile.twitter.com/mrjohnofa...24469337116672
1 User Laughed:
Old 12-24-2017, 09:42 AM   #138 (permalink)

My Mood:
Brief explainer for those that missed it.

Theresa May tweeted that the UK is returning to 'iconic blue' which she felt would be widely welcomed.

People like Farage celebrated this as the 'first tangible victory over the EU since the vote'
But the EU has never required that our passports be burgundy, though they do recommend it. In fact there are EU countries with other colour passports.

So the victory is nothing of the sort, the horrible oppression that forced us to have reddish passports was never an EU requirement. In fact the new blue passport colour is nothing like the old blue passports which actually look more like black.

So who would welcome the return to blue? Well, you'd have to be old enough to have had a blue passport. They changed in 1988 so its unlikely that anyone born after 1970 ever had a blue passport.
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 12-24-2017, 09:50 AM   #139 (permalink)
Old Cynic

*SLU Supporter*

Awards: 1
Special Achievemnt In Group Action 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
People like Farage celebrated this as the 'first tangible victory over the EU since the vote'
Which would be hilarious if it weren't so pathetic. Congratulations, Brexiteers, you can now have blue passports instead of red. What a victory for you. I'm sure it makes it all worthwhile.

Now, where are all those millions for the NHS that you made the cornerstone of your campaign?

Erich Templar
Textures, prefabs, more textures....
http://www.templarcreations.com
Templar Creations Main Store (SLURL)
SL Marketplace Merchant Page
Erich Templar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:04 AM   #140 (permalink)
Eternal Newbie

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
Brexit Bulldog Strikes Again ! Brexit campaigners take hamper of British foods to Brussels - made by firms worried by EU withdrawal. It gets more like a Monty Python sketch every day...
Old 01-11-2018, 05:40 AM   #141 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkady Arkright View Post
Brexit Bulldog Strikes Again ! Brexit campaigners take hamper of British foods to Brussels - made by firms worried by EU withdrawal. It gets more like a Monty Python sketch every day...
Does anyone understand what they wanted to say/ demonstrate with this "hamper-present" to the "EU"?
Among others the hamper contents Marmite
Apart from the fact, that Marmite is made by a procedure, which a german, Justus von Liebig, developed and as we read in the article is made by Unilever, a british-dutch Company. Why do these honourable UKIP-Gentlemen think that it is a great example for british food?
Well, sure, a foreigner like me can understand that one thinks Marmite must be english, cause it tastes so ugly...but I am not sure, that this is the intended message..

PS
..I forgot: the hamper contents, if I read it correct, also tea-bags..
another example of what obviously these true Brits understand under savoir vivre, maybe they would call it good breeding...

Last edited by Luisa Resident; 01-11-2018 at 06:00 AM.
Luisa Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:22 AM   #142 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisa Resident View Post
Does anyone understand what they wanted to say/ demonstrate with this "hamper-present" to the "EU"?
Among others the hamper contents Marmite
Apart from the fact, that Marmite is made by a procedure, which a german, Justus von Liebig, developed and as we read in the article is made by Unilever, a british-dutch Company. Why do these honourable UKIP-Gentlemen think that it is a great example for british food?
Well, sure, a foreigner like me can understand that one thinks Marmite must be english, cause it tastes so ugly...but I am not sure, that this is the intended message..

PS
..I forgot: the hamper contents, if I read it correct, also tea-bags..
another example of what obviously these true Brits understand under savoir vivre, maybe they would call it good breeding...
It was simply a stupid publicity stunt that backfired because the Brexit supporters think that reality needs to accept the fact it lost in the referendum, and needs to get over it and stop trying to frustrate the will of the British people.

According to the report,
Quote:
Brexit campaigners were accused of an embarrassing gaffe after delivering a hamper of British foods to Brussels – made by firms worried they will be hit hard by EU withdrawal.

The campaigners claimed the basket of tasty delights would help Michael Barnier, the chief EU negotiator, “fully grasp the powerful commercial position Britain occupies globally”.

But it was quickly pointed out that two of the goods – Marmite and PG Tips tea – are made by Unilever, which is a giant Anglo-Dutch company.

Just two months ago, the firm warned it was delaying whether to consolidate its headquarters in the UK – rather than the Netherlands - because of the “political turbulence” unleashed by Brexit.

Similarly, Hendrick’s Gin, another item in the hamper, is made by William Grant & Sons – which warned that sales had slumped in some markets because of “exchange rate changes since the referendum”.
The report goes on to quote
Quote:
Caroline Lucas, the Green Party co-leader and champion of the pro-EU Best for Britain group, [who] said: "This is a blunder that only helps hamper the Brexiteers case.

“They have taken products to Barnier for a cheap stunt, but helped made his case that Brexit will damage businesses and more importantly jobs in the UK.”
ETA: Someone help me out, please. I am open to correction, but is not "Marmite" simply the French for "cooking pot" or (which is maybe the reference) "stock pot"?
Old 01-11-2018, 11:03 AM   #143 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innula Zenovka View Post
ETA: Someone help me out, please. I am open to correction, but is not "Marmite" simply the French for "cooking pot" or (which is maybe the reference) "stock pot"?
"The image on the front of the British jar shows a "marmite" (French: [maʁmit]), a French term for a large, covered earthenware or metal cooking pot. British Marmite was originally supplied in earthenware pots, but since the 1920s has been sold in glass jars shaped like the French cooking pot."

see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marmite
Luisa Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 01-11-2018, 01:29 PM   #144 (permalink)

My Mood:
Did anyone notice David Davis' leaked letter of outrage to the prime minister?

Furious that he EU is making preparations for a possible no-deal outcome (which the UK still isn't doing). Even though we've heard many times that "no deal is better than a bad deal" and cries of "walk away and give them nothing" he's outraged that preparing for a no deal will damage british businesses.

In other words, in spite of all of his bluster he knows full well that the country cannot afford no-deal.

You can see the actual leaked letter here:

Twitter

what else has there been?

Oh yes, british driving licences will no longer be recognised by the EU post brexit, nor will pet passports, so anyone used to popping across the channel in their car for a holiday with their dog won't be doing that again.

Other things that won't be recognised include certification of seafarers and long distance lorry drivers.

Many products subject to 'mutual recognition' rules may cease to be legal within the EU. This one is a little weird; For products that have no commonly accepted definition there is a system where a nation can officially recognise that a product is what it claims to be. Every state then accepts products vouched for by a member state. Once the UK leaves, it will no longer be able to 'recognise' products so businesses will have to seek recognition by member states or stop selling into the EU. The example product generally being used is mineral water, apparently there is no common definition of what mineral water is.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:42 AM   #145 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

"And now I'm going to show you something really cool."

The previous is a cybernetic datum published - in direct contravention of DoD Regulation #229RR3X3 - as being conducive to the physical, psychological and/or social well-being of the population.
Argent Stonecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:29 AM   #146 (permalink)

My Mood:
Sinn Fein's view of brexit.

Twitter
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 03-24-2018, 09:24 PM   #147 (permalink)
bunneh

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
https://www.channel4.com/news/brexit...-whistleblower

Quote:
The cheating row centres around the links between Vote Leave and third-party campaign group BeLeave.

Under election laws, Vote Leave was only allowed to spend £7m on its campaign. But there were scores of other separate campaign groups who could each spend up to £700,000, if they registered as permitted participants.

However, spending by each of these groups had to remain truly independent, and not directed by, the main designated campaigns.

Sanni tells Channel 4 News he was initially a Vote Leave outreach volunteer. But he claimed Stephen Parkinson then assigned him to another Brexit group called BeLeave, where he worked with the group’s founder, Darren Grimes. BeLeave was based inside the Vote Leave headquarters and Grimes was photographed holding a Vote Leave poster on the day of the Referendum.
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 03-25-2018, 09:01 AM   #148 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

Twitter
1 User Groaned:
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 03-25-2018, 05:55 PM   #149 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

Singing along with old music

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Oct 4 2009
Business: Moondrops ; Tempus Fugit; Faerycat Designs; sPunk
My question is, if it proven that the Leave groups cheated, how does that affect Brexit?

Aribeth Zelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 06:03 PM   #150 (permalink)
Just another muppet

*SLU Supporter*

Eh ?

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Spring 2007
Client: standard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aribeth Zelin View Post
My question is, if it proven that the Leave groups cheated, how does that affect Brexit?
As long as there was no substantial cheating with the actual votes, not much I guess.
Sid II is offline   Reply With Quote