Brexit - Page 3 - SLUniverse Forums

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2017, 03:58 PM   #51 (permalink)

Nasty Brit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid II View Post
Well, a good exit deal is really essential for both sides, economically and socially. But all the British government is doing so far is frustrating the negotiations and coursing towards a Brexit with no deal at all.

And for what? It seems all is ONLY about who will be warming his/her ass by the fireplace at 10 Downing Street the next couple of years.
It is all so frustrating.
Bullshit. Both sides are playing stupid politics.
Jenn Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 09:40 PM   #52 (permalink)

Looking down at the uncanny valley

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn Luke View Post
Bullshit. Both sides are playing stupid politics.
Not anymore. Looks Like Jeremy Corbyn is solidly "Remain" (took long enough)

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ries-labour-eu
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 11-24-2017, 10:29 PM   #53 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innula Zenovka View Post
The fact Theresa May wants something to happen doesn't necessarily mean it's going to happen.
Another current politico that does not understand that concept?

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 11-25-2017, 01:55 AM   #54 (permalink)

lesser spotted swivel eyed loon

My Mood:
Business: The Tiggerworks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariane View Post
Not anymore. Looks Like Jeremy Corbyn is solidly "Remain" (took long enough)

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ries-labour-eu
Saw that article. But what I haven't seen is a single word from Corbyn himself in favour of single market membership, customs union or a second referendum. What I have seen from Corbyn is him voting WITH the tories and whipping his MPs to also vote with the tories on just about every brexit vote so far.

An opposition that was opposing the tories, would tear them apart right now but labour is working hard to make brexit as hard as possible.
Tigger is online now   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
2 Users Agreed:
Old 11-25-2017, 11:56 AM   #55 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

LOL .... in addition to their normal stream sky news has a stream of a digital clock to reach a deal with brexit.
1 User Likes This:
Old 11-25-2017, 12:21 PM   #56 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
Saw that article. But what I haven't seen is a single word from Corbyn himself in favour of single market membership, customs union or a second referendum. What I have seen from Corbyn is him voting WITH the tories and whipping his MPs to also vote with the tories on just about every brexit vote so far.

An opposition that was opposing the tories, would tear them apart right now but labour is working hard to make brexit as hard as possible.
I think at the moment Labour are letting their own backbenchers work with dissident Conservatives to do most of the opposing, in order both to focus on the Conservatives' own divisions and avoid exposing their own internal difficulties with Brexit. Labour are split too, remember, over Brexit but just not as badly as are the Conservatives.

I think it's going to get really interesting when the bill reaches the Lords, where the Government doesn't have a majority and where opposition amendments are likely to do serious damage. Then it will come back to the Commons, and the Government will have to try to remove various amendments that many of their own Remainer MPs want to keep.

Traditional party divisions have broken down over Brexit. I think at the moment Labour's probably playing its hand pretty well, in that they're letting the Government do itself probably more damage than Labour could hope to inflict at this stage. Come the New Year, when a heavily emended Bill comes back from the Lords and we know whether the Brexit negotiations are still stalled or whether they've proceeded to trade negotiations -- and either outcome will upset a substantial number of Conservatives, and possibly the DUP too -- and then things might change, and Labour will need to start going on the offensive.
Innula Zenovka is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 11-25-2017, 05:36 PM   #57 (permalink)

My Mood:
A few more brexit issues to throw into the mix. You may or may not know that the UK and EU quickly reached agreement on how to divide their WTO tariff quotas between them and notified the WTO of their intent.

This was immediately rejected by 7 countries (Brazil, Argentina, Canada, New Zealand, Uruguay and Thailand). Later the US joined the objectors and yesterday Australia did too.

https://www.farminguk.com/News/Austr...tas_47999.html

That makes every major country with english as its primary language, the so-called 'Anglosphere' that many Brexiteers said would be falling over themselves for a chance to do deals with us.

Essentially the core of their objection is that by dividing the quotas between the two entities (UK & EU) it reduces the amounts that they can export to the EU and they don't like that, they are claiming it penalises their current trade arrangements. For example if the EU had a quota of 10,000 tons of beef and post brexit the EU's quota will be 9,000 tons and the UK's quota will be 1,000 tons these countries object because they want to go on exporting their existing 10,000 tons to the EU.
Old 11-25-2017, 06:41 PM   #58 (permalink)
bunneh

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 2006
Client: Firestorm and Project Bento
Who could possibly have foreseen attempting to extricate one country from a myriad of decades of agreements would be so immensely intricate?

*sigh*
"Separated lovers cheat absence by a thousand fancies which have their own reality. They are prevented from seeing one another and they cannot write; nevertheless they find countless mysterious ways of corresponding, by sending each other the song of birds, the scent of flowers, the laughter of children, the light of the sun, the sighing of the wind, and the gleam of the stars - all the beauties of creation." -- Victor Hugo
Porsupah Ree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 06:48 PM   #59 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsupah Ree View Post
Who could possibly have foreseen attempting to extricate one country from a myriad of decades of agreements would be so immensely intricate?

*sigh*
Not donnie, remember what he said about healthcare?
Old 11-25-2017, 07:16 PM   #60 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsupah Ree View Post

*sigh*
Didn't you get the memo from Michael Gove? “People in this country have had enough of experts.”
1 User Agreed:
Old 11-25-2017, 08:21 PM   #61 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Didn't you get the memo from Michael Gove? “People in this country have had enough of experts.”
Which is exactly how we got Donnie.

I have to wonder what people were thinking. When they have a medical issue do they pick going to someone who has no medical training at all over someone with decades of experience in whatever?
Old 11-25-2017, 11:35 PM   #62 (permalink)

taking a break from reality

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Once upon a time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Spengler View Post
Which is exactly how we got Donnie.

I have to wonder what people were thinking. When they have a medical issue do they pick going to someone who has no medical training at all over someone with decades of experience in whatever?
Surely you know the answer to that already!
Yes, some people will go to a quack.
Originally Posted by Kamilah Hauptmann Well it started with some lolwut and some straight dope, but then someone used Snarcasm and it was Super Effective and then SLU was an evil hivemind culminating in attempted suicide by mod, now we're in the post mortem unless bro comes back for the sequel.
Ashiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 01:30 AM   #63 (permalink)

EU rules British cities cannot be capitals of culture
Wanda Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 04:28 AM   #64 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanda Belinda View Post
Its funny, tell people that we wont be part of EURATOM, they shrug, tell them that the EBA & EMA are leaving, they shrug, tell them we are loosing passporting rights, they shrug, tell them we wont be part of the european open skies agreement, they shrug. Tell them we can't bid for European City of Culture and they foam at the mouth about how unfair it is.

I think this story is all of brexit in miniature. the EU is an organisation of rules. There are too many countries in it for it to be all special little deals. So we get this rule:

Quote:
only countries that were in the EU, the European Economic Area (EEA) or in the process of becoming members were eligible for inclusion.
To the EU it's very simple, they implement the rules, the UK does not qualify so we are told as much. But here in the UK it's outrage. They are punishing us! How dare they!

Quote:
Downing Street said it disagreed with the decision and had begun “urgent discussions” with the commission. However, a spokesman was unable to say on what grounds the UK was objecting
Do you know why they can't say what ground they are objecting on?
Because they have no grounds to object.

The rules are clear and unambiguous. It's the same with our trade negotiations. They will not be negotiations. The EU will simply point out the rules. The more of their rules you are willing to accept, the better your access to the EU markets. As we have already ruled out single market membership, ECJ and customs union the best we can get is a deal like canada. Nothng else will be offered because it won't adhere to the rules.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 11-26-2017, 05:36 AM   #65 (permalink)
Eternal Newbie

*SLU Supporter*
Entirely without credibility

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 21 June 2009
Client: Firestorm
Quote:
Didn't you get the memo from Michael Gove Paul Dacre? “People in this country have had enough of experts.”
FIFY
Arkady Arkright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 08:43 AM   #66 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
Its funny, tell people that we wont be part of EURATOM, they shrug, tell them that the EBA & EMA are leaving, they shrug, tell them we are loosing passporting rights, they shrug, tell them we wont be part of the european open skies agreement, they shrug. Tell them we can't bid for European City of Culture and they foam at the mouth about how unfair it is.
Plus the British can't accept they aren't part of Europe anyway, they are some little island out in the ocean.
Wanda Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:35 AM   #67 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashiri View Post
Surely you know the answer to that already!
Yes, some people will go to a quack.
Which is something I am ??? about. When I was learning reiki pretty much the first rule was that if a reasonable lay person suspects it is a real medical problem (after all, the person has to tell you why they are there) you refuse to take them as a client until they see a dr. This always led to an argument with someone here over edge cases but it does not take a huge mental leap to define 'reasonable'. The state of the medical system in the US presents a problem that was not addressed though .... what do you do if they can not afford to see a dr and the reiki practitioner is willing to work for free? That is an ethical question there is no good answer to, I suppose I would lean towards pointing out to the client reiki deals with the mind rather than medical issues so it might help them accept they should see an MD.
1 User Agreed:
Old 11-26-2017, 09:48 AM   #68 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkady Arkright View Post
FIFY
For the benefit of non-Brits, it's a genuine quote from Gove:

3 Users Said Thanks :
Old 11-26-2017, 10:58 AM   #69 (permalink)

My Mood:
Everytime I see that slimy little man I want slap him around the face with a fish.

A stonefish.
1 User Likes This:
Old 11-26-2017, 11:31 AM   #70 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
For the benefit of non-Brits, it's a genuine quote from Gove:

Michael Gove vs The Experts? - YouTube
Ugh, people complaining about experts.

I was just reading an article in the paper about how Rs do not like colleges and part of the logic was they teach elitism. When did getting good at something become a bad thing?
Old 11-26-2017, 03:53 PM   #71 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/20/2008
Client: LL Viewer V3

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
I was just reading an article in the paper about how Rs do not like colleges and part of the logic was they teach elitism. When did getting good at something become a bad thing?
Because going to colleges gives you knowledge, and with that knowledge, you can see through the web of lies the Rs keep trying to sell you.

Katheryne Helendale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 04:00 PM   #72 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

One of the examples was someone shooting something (a snake I think) and saying he learned that in the army. I am guessing if you were on a sports team in college where shooting was relevant he could have learned it in college (like the biathlon) they would drill people in target shooting but it was this anti-college vibe that makes no sense.
Old 11-26-2017, 04:20 PM   #73 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

I can, in part, sympathise with the attitude, since one of the unfortunate side effects of encouraging more and more people to go to college -- or at least in the UK it has been, since 20 years ago Tony Blair really pushed for more young people to go into higher education (and thus show that New Labour was reducing unemployment, since they wouldn't be actively seeking work for another three or four years) -- is that many employers end up requiring higher academic qualifications of their recruits than the job actually requires.

This means that people who don't go on to university after leaving school -- not because they're not bright enough but because they're not that interested in formal education, or they don't want to saddle themselves with an enormous debt studying something they're not really interested in -- often now find it far more difficult to get a decent job than they would have done 30 years ago, simply because employers insist on a college-level education for jobs that really don't require them.

I can understand how someone in that position comes to resent people who're no more able than are they, and probably often less so, being preferred by employers for jobs and promotions to posts that never used to be reserved for graduates simply because they have a degree from a not-very-good university in a not-particularly-relevant subject.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:29 PM   #74 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

That is a frustrating thing jobs tend to do over here .... they want a degree for pretty much everything whether you actually need it or not. However on the other hand college is getting more expensive all the time. On the gripping hand a modern undergraduate degree in the US is pretty much equivalent to what a HS diploma used to be.

Honestly? If someone asked if they should go to college or not I would not know what to tell them. Knowing their planned first career may help but even then it is almost a coin toss unless it is something pretty clear, like being a doctor.
Old 11-26-2017, 06:04 PM   #75 (permalink)
But it refused. <3

*SLU Supporter*

I'm a regular Victor Victoria

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Honestly? If someone asked if they should go to college or not I would not know what to tell them. Knowing their planned first career may help but even then it is almost a coin toss unless it is something pretty clear, like being a doctor.
I tell em: Plumber. Electrician. Cabinetry. Machinist. Instrumentation. Millwright. Gas fitter. Appliance repair.