The Great Big No Good Sexual Harassment thread - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » The Great Big No Good Sexual Harassment thread

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2017, 10:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

Nevertheless, she persisted.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May, 2005
Client: Firestorm

Awards: 4
Special Achievement In Creepy Avatar Threads 
The Great Big No Good Sexual Harassment thread

These stories are popping daily, now, and if it's not Donald Trump being accused maybe we should throw the lot of 'em into one deplorable basket. We've all heard of Dustin Hoffman, Bill Clinton, Harvey Weinstein, et al., but how many of us were worried about Brett Ratner?

Here's what a woman can do when she has some power:

Gal Gadot Confirms Brett Ratner Is Out Of ‘Wonder Woman’ Sequel

Quote:
Actress Gal Gadot has confirmed that Hollywood producer Brett Ratner will not be involved in the “Wonder Woman” sequel, calling the decision “the right thing to do” after multiple women have come forward with sexual harassment allegations against him.

“Everyone knows the way that I feel because I’m not hiding anything,” she said Wednesday on NBC’s “Today” show after being asked about an article claiming she had demanded his ouster.

“But the truth is, there’s so many people involved in making this movie, it’s not just me, and they all echoed the same sentiments. You know what I mean?” she said. “Everyone knew what was the right thing to do, but there was nothing for me to actually come and say, ’cause it was already done before this article came out, you know?”
Old 11-17-2017, 11:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Rabblerouser

*SLU Supporter*

edible

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February, 2007

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
good thread idea Cindy, I thought about it a few days ago, better to condense. and what about Al Franken? Somebody should make a list so far.
shy poster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 04:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
And those are only in the U.S. Add the ones in the UK, France, etc., and even here (in Quebec many very powerful men in the entertainment milieu have come crashing down). It's non-stop. Every day there's something else. Even though I am glad it's happening, it's been a long time coming, it feels too much at times for me. Not so much the revelations, but some of the reactions - the shock and surprise, etc. - are driving me batty. Someone on this board mentioned (or posted a link? I'm sorry I forget who) that they were expecting an eventual backlash and last night, on a show here, a guest was saying the same thing. I think I agree. Anyhoo... no links to add, just feel so tired of it all.
Isabeau Imako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 07:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

I finally got it all together, but now I forget where I put it.

My Mood:
Oh no - I've got lots of Rethuglican friends on FB defending Roy Moore. It's disgusting.
Zaida Gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said WTF?:
Old 11-17-2017, 10:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:

Donald Trump sexual misconduct allegations | Wiki
Cindy Claveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 04:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

Dressed up like a car crash

My Mood:
Client: Black Dragon, FS, SL Viewer
Another claim against Tambor.

Transparent Writers Consider a Show Without Jeffrey Tambor, As Further Sexual Harassment Allegations Emerge

Quote:
Now further allegations have emerged, this time from co-star Trace Lysette, who plays yoga instructor and transgender woman Shea on the show. In a statement to the Hollywood Reporter, Lysette described an incident in which Tambor made sexually charged remarks and pressed himself against her between takes. “He came in close, put his bare feet on top of mine so I could not move, leaned his body against me, and began quick, discreet thrust back and forth against my body. I felt his penis on my hip through his thin pajamas,” she wrote.]
It is getting to the point I need a shower just after glancing at these articles. I don't know who or what to believe anymore.
Soda Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Groaned:
Old 11-18-2017, 03:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
I'm not Here!

hypnotized

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 1/25/2006
Business: looking for fresh start..
Client: Singularity
Send a message via Skype™ to Kalel
Now Ryan Seacrest...

E! Entertainment Investigating Ryan Seacrest For Alleged ‘Inappropriate’ Behavior

Quote:
Ryan Seacrest has a squeaky clean reputation as one of Hollywood’s most recognized TV hosts, but he hasn’t escaped the outpouring of sexual abuse accusations in the industry.

A wardrobe stylist says that the 42-year-old TV personality acted inappropriately toward her while he was working for E! News, The Hollywood Reporter first reported Friday.

An unnamed source told the Reporter that the victim “made a substantial financial ask in exchange for her silence, which, ... Seacrest declined via his lawyers.”

A spokesperson for E! Entertainment confirmed to HuffPost that the cable channel is investigating Seacrest but did not answer any questions on what type of misbehavior allegedly took place.

Seacrest, who co-hosts “Live With Kelly and Ryan,” disputed the accusations and called them “reckless,” and he said he is cooperating with the corporate investigation, according to an official statement obtained by HuffPost.

He acknowledged that the accuser was a wardrobe stylist who worked for him at E! News “nearly a decade ago,” and he apologized if he “made her feel anything but respected.”

"The privilege of a lifetime is to become who you truly are. -Jung"
Kalel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 02:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/20/2008
Client: LL Viewer V3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy Claveau View Post
It's pretty bad when one's sexual misconduct merits an entire Wikipedia page.

Katheryne Helendale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 12:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
DJ's for Aural Pleasure

Hold On To Yourself

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Sept. 2007
Business: Avatar Bizarre
Client: Crash-o-Matic 2.0
Not to make light of things, but I thought this was kind of good.

Sredni Eel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 12:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
DJ's for Aural Pleasure

Hold On To Yourself

My Mood:
And, OH LOOK, Morrissey has said something stupid again. Sanctimonious prick that he's always been. Sorry, Smiths fans, but he really is a class A taint nugget, who defends Spacey and Weinstein.

https://www.stereogum.com/1972241/mo...d-happen/news/
Old 11-19-2017, 01:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:

Some pastors stand behind Roy Moore, cite "war on men" | AL.com

Quote:
"This attack on Judge Moore is an attempt by the Democrats to sway voters in Alabama," said Pastor David Floyd of Marvyn Parkway Baptist Church, Opelika. "I don't believe those women. In this country you are innocent until proven guilty."

Floyd is one of around 50 pastors that signed a letter of public support for Moore in August before allegations of sexual misconduct and the dating of teens became public. Moore has denied the allegations, calling them an "attack on my character and reputation" and a "desperate attempt to stop my political campaign for the United States Senate."

Pastor Franklin Raddish of the Capitol Hill Independent Baptist Ministries, a nationwide church, told AL.com from his South Carolina home that the spate of accusations against men in politics, Hollywood and elsewhere was a "war on men."

"More women are sexual predators than men," said Raddish. "Women are chasing young boys up and down the road, but we don't hear about that because it's not PC."
Or maybe because it's just not happening very often? Go back to your cave, troll.
Cindy Claveau is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Groaned:
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 11-19-2017, 01:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
Society's Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

SL Join Date: April 2004
Quote:
These stories are popping daily, now, and if it's not Donald Trump being accused maybe we should throw the lot of 'em into one deplorable basket. We've all heard of Dustin Hoffman, Bill Clinton, Harvey Weinstein, et al., but how many of us were worried about Brett Ratner?

Here's what a woman can do when she has some power:

Gal Gadot Confirms Brett Ratner Is Out Of ‘Wonder Woman’ Sequel
Why not add the links to the other threads to this post? There's what, 3 or 4 current ones? I'm suggesting just those that are current, not the older ones like the Cosby thread. For relevancy and posterity. And preservation of the events as they occurred on SLU.
Believe or you will not see.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 01:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

Singing along with old music

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Oct 4 2009
Business: Moondrops ; Tempus Fugit; Faerycat Designs; sPunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Eel View Post
And, OH LOOK, Morrissey has said something stupid again. Sanctimonious prick that he's always been. Sorry, Smiths fans, but he really is a class A taint nugget, who defends Spacey and Weinstein.

Oh, wow - Morrissey being a bloody wanker.... again.

I love the Smiths, but its mostly because Marr did some brilliant music. Also, memories. But I won't ever play any of his solo stuff [not sure I have any, because I think he's a grade A asshole].

Aribeth Zelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 01:59 PM   #14 (permalink)
bunneh

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 2006
Client: Firestorm and Project Bento
Russell Simmons and Brett Ratner face new allegations of sexual misconduct - LA Times

Quote:
Keri Claussen Khalighi was a 17-year-old fashion model from a farm town in Nebraska when she met Brett Ratner and Russell Simmons at a casting call. Ratner was an up-and-coming music video director and a protege of Simmons, the Def Jam Recordings mogul. They took Khalighi to dinner one night in 1991 at Mr. Chow in New York, and then back to Simmons’ apartment to show her a music video they’d been working on.

Quickly, Simmons began making aggressive sexual advances, yanking off her clothes, Khalighi said. “I looked over at Brett and said ‘help me’ and I'll never forget the look on his face,” she recalled. “In that moment, the realization fell on me that they were in it together.”

Khalighi said that Simmons, who was then about twice her age, tried to force her to have intercourse. “I fought it wildly,” she said. He eventually relented and coerced her to perform oral sex, she alleged. “I guess I just acquiesced.”
"Separated lovers cheat absence by a thousand fancies which have their own reality. They are prevented from seeing one another and they cannot write; nevertheless they find countless mysterious ways of corresponding, by sending each other the song of birds, the scent of flowers, the laughter of children, the light of the sun, the sighing of the wind, and the gleam of the stars - all the beauties of creation." -- Victor Hugo
Porsupah Ree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 02:01 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Some pastors stand behind Roy Moore, cite "war on men" | AL.com

Or maybe because it's just not happening very often? Go back to your cave, troll.
The word pastor means shepherd... think about that. They're supposed to protect the weak, or those in need, etc. It really makes you sick. I can't even imagine living in an area where the majority of people voted for dung like this.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 11-19-2017, 02:19 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:

Ah, yes... he says women who were with Weinstein were just playing along and later were embarrassed...
Quote:
And here’s his take on Weinstein:

People know exactly what happens. And they play along. Afterward, they feel embarrassed, or they do not like it. And then they turn it around and say: I was attacked, I was surprised, I was dragged into the room. But if everything had gone well and had it given them a great career, they would not talk about it. I hate rape. I hate attacks. I hate sexual situations that are forced on someone. But in many cases, one looks at the circumstances and thinks that the person referred to as a victim is merely disappointed. Throughout the history of music and rock ‘n’ roll there have been musicians who have slept with their groupies. If you go through history, almost everyone is guilty of sleeping with minors.

The thing is, I am absolutely certain many people think exactly like him.

Harvey Weinstein had secret hitlist of names to quash sex scandal - The Guardian
Quote:
The Observer has gained access to a secret hitlist of almost 100 prominent individuals targeted by Harvey Weinstein in an extraordinary attempt to discover what they knew about sexual misconduct claims against him and whether they were intending to go public.

The previously undisclosed list contains a total of 91 actors, publicists, producers, financiers and others working in the film industry, all of whom Weinstein allegedly identified as part of a strategy to prevent accusers from going public with sexual misconduct claims against him.

The only time women are taken seriously is when hoards of them come out. Yet, as we see here with Shitmorrissey, for some, it's still not enough.
2 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Agreed:
Old 11-19-2017, 02:28 PM   #17 (permalink)

Not that it's up to me, but honestly, I would really prefer if we did keep it to one thread. I think I'm not digesting very well all the news this past month. I know it's frivolous. Obviously, it's up to me to control myself and not click. I go from wanting to cry, wanting to be violent, to feeling nauseated. Ridiculous, I know.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:38 PM   #18 (permalink)
But it refused. <3

*SLU Supporter*

I'm a regular Victor Victoria

Meanwhile in hotels everywhere, what maids deal with
Old 11-19-2017, 02:39 PM   #19 (permalink)
Society's Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

SL Join Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabeau Imako View Post
Not that it's up to me, but honestly, I would really prefer if we did keep it to one thread. I think I'm not digesting very well all the news this past month. I know it's frivolous. Obviously, it's up to me to control myself and not click. I go from wanting to cry, wanting to be violent, to feeling nauseated. Ridiculous, I know.
It's not ridiculous. I think I can safely claim that most, if not all, of us have been experiencing the same thing. Some of us only since 11/8, some of us for years.

For myself, I'm getting close to the point where I completely ignore all news again out of necessity.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 11-19-2017, 02:44 PM   #20 (permalink)

I came back to erase my post... too late.
1 User Laughed:
3 Users Hugged You:
Old 11-19-2017, 03:15 PM   #21 (permalink)
DJ's for Aural Pleasure

Hold On To Yourself

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamilah Hauptmann View Post
Oh geez.

I feel bad for leaving too many food wrappers in the trash, and wet towels on the bed when I leave the room. I had no idea this crap was happening.
1 User Said Thanks:
2 Users Agreed:
Old 11-19-2017, 04:28 PM   #22 (permalink)
But it refused. <3

*SLU Supporter*

I'm a regular Victor Victoria

Quote:
Oh geez.

I feel bad for leaving too many food wrappers in the trash, and wet towels on the bed when I leave the room. I had no idea this crap was happening.
I’m never not tipping daily ever again.
Kamilah Hauptmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 04:58 PM   #23 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

Singing along with old music

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Oct 4 2009
Business: Moondrops ; Tempus Fugit; Faerycat Designs; sPunk
Quote:
Good illustration to my point - its a rot in society that we need to get to the source of, and not just hit people as they get exposed. Or it won't ever go completely away.

Quote:
I’m never not tipping daily ever again.
I always tip, but most days I keep privacy because I just am so tired I don't want to leave the room while they tidy.
Aribeth Zelin is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 11-19-2017, 05:23 PM   #24 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/20/2008
Client: LL Viewer V3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aribeth Zelin View Post
Good illustration to my point - its a rot in society that we need to get to the source of, and not just hit people as they get exposed. Or it won't ever go completely away.
Katheryne Helendale is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 11-19-2017, 05:36 PM   #25 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Twitter
Dakota Tebaldi is offline   Reply With Quote