The Great Big No Good Sexual Harassment thread - Page 9 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » The Great Big No Good Sexual Harassment thread

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2018, 03:41 AM   #201 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Twitter

You really do need to listen to the audio for the full effect.
Dakota Tebaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:36 PM   #202 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

Singing along with old music

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Oct 4 2009
Business: Moondrops ; Tempus Fugit; Faerycat Designs; sPunk
Client: Firestorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Tebaldi View Post
https://twitter.com/Jezebel/status/960716344634302464

And here I thought my opinion of Tarantino wouldn't get lower [I read Umas's story this weekend], but... defending a grown man who drugged a young teen and forced her to have sex with him? Makes me wonder what in Tarantino's closet, now.

Oh, and the video/audio doesn't seem to be there.

Aribeth Zelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:44 PM   #203 (permalink)

whatever

Quote:
https://twitter.com/Jezebel/status/960716344634302464

The thread for that tweet included a hard to watch SNL skit involving Tarantino talking about 'jamming chicks' on his sets.

Watch Saturday Night Live Highlight: Directors on Directing - NBC.com

It's not always easy to tell what's supposed to be funny in SNL skits.
Lexxi Gynoid is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 02-08-2018, 04:02 PM   #204 (permalink)

All I want is coffee and 5 million dollars

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
Tarantino apologizes to Roman Polanski rape victim - CBC
Isabeau Imako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 04:26 PM   #205 (permalink)
But it refused. <3

*SLU Supporter*

I'm a regular Victor Victoria

Twitter
Old 02-08-2018, 05:09 PM   #206 (permalink)
Eternal Newbie

*SLU Supporter*
Entirely without credibility

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 21 June 2009
Oops - mega-necro, sorry
Arkady Arkright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:46 AM   #207 (permalink)

Catching up on videogame backlog

My Mood:
https://www.latimes.com/politics/ess...htmlstory.html
Experimental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 02:22 PM   #208 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Experimental View Post
Women too can be harassers, It isn't only men... Thank you, Experimental, for bringing this to our attention.

#NotAllMen \o/

(The link is wonky. Here's another: California lawmaker to take leave amid sex misconduct probe )
Old 02-10-2018, 08:55 AM   #209 (permalink)

I cnat tpyipng actlluay, srry

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 6th Jan 2007

Well, if the fact most of Tarantino's movies were produced by Harvey Weinstein was enough to make me put all the DVD's I have of his to the back of my shelf never to see light again, now I'm ready to turn them into frisbees! Poor Uma
Amelia Freund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 01:59 PM   #210 (permalink)

Excelent piece in the Atalantic.

The Selective Empathy of #MeToo Backlash
Old 02-14-2018, 09:27 PM   #211 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

A second Charles-in-Charge child actor accuses Scott Baio of harassment
Old 02-14-2018, 09:43 PM   #212 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/20/2008
Client: LL Viewer V3

Shaun White Now Says He Regrets Past Behavior, as Harassment Claims Resurface | NYTimes

*sigh*

Katheryne Helendale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:34 AM   #213 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Actor Brendan Fraser discloses being groped by industry media exec

Quote:
In a new interview with GQ magazine, the "Mummy" actor claimed that former Hollywood Foreign Press president Philip Berk groped him at an HFPA luncheon at the Beverly Hills Hotel in 2003.

Though Fraser said he was able to remove Berk's hand from his backside, the incident terrified him.

“I felt ill. I felt like a little kid. I felt like there was a ball in my throat. I thought I was going to cry," he said, adding that he told his then-wife about the incident. "I felt like someone had thrown invisible paint on me."

Berk told GQ that Fraser's allegation is "a total fabrication." He confirmed his statement to GQ to ABC News.

Fraser, 49, told GQ that he considered going public with his story shortly after it happened, but ultimately decided not to because "I didn't want to contend with how that made me feel or it becoming part of my narrative." However, at the time his representatives asked the HFPA for a written apology, which Berk told GQ he wrote.

“My apology admitted no wrongdoing, the usual 'If I've done anything that upset Mr. Fraser, it was not intended and I apologize,'" he said.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:23 PM   #214 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

*whrr* *beep* DEAL WITH IT

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008

Awards: 2
Fucking fucker.

He Became A Celebrity For Putting Science Before God. Now Lawrence Krauss Faces Allegations Of Sexual Misconduct
Quote:
BuzzFeed News has learned that the incident with Hensley is one of many wide-ranging allegations of Krauss’s inappropriate behavior over the last decade — including groping women, ogling and making sexist jokes to undergrads, and telling an employee at Arizona State University, where he is a tenured professor, that he was going to buy her birth control so she didn’t inconvenience him with maternity leave. In response to complaints, two institutions — Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio, and the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics in Waterloo, Ontario — have quietly restricted him from their campuses. Our reporting is based on official university documents, emails, and interviews with more than 50 people.

Many of his accusers have requested anonymity, fearing professional or legal retaliation from Krauss, or online abuse from men in the movement who have smeared women for speaking out about other skeptics. A few allegations about Krauss made their way onto skeptic blogs, but were quickly taken down in fear of legal action. So for years, these stories have stayed inside whisper networks in skepticism and physics.

In lengthy emails to BuzzFeed News, Krauss denied all of the accusations against him, calling them “false and misleading defamatory allegations.” When asked why multiple women, over more than a decade, have separately accused him of misconduct, he said the answer was “obvious”: It’s because his provocative ideas have made him famous.
I can't say I was a fan of Krauss, mainly because I always thought his ego often seeped into his writings and whatnot. But I did have respect for his work and educational efforts, including what he did on the atheist front. Now...Fuck off you famous little weasel.
Free Xue is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 02-24-2018, 07:29 PM   #215 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Lots of wagon-circling by male fans of Krauss over the last day after the Buzzfeed article - they've been attacking Buzzfeed and literally every single individual the article quotes or cites as giving corroborative statements.

Also, Krauss's wife started a Twitter account last night and used it to harass and sea-lion #metoo supporters. No, seriously.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 02-24-2018, 08:35 PM   #216 (permalink)

whatever

Quote:
Lots of wagon-circling by male fans of Krauss over the last day after the Buzzfeed article - they've been attacking Buzzfeed and literally every single individual the article quotes or cites as giving corroborative statements.

Also, Krauss's wife started a Twitter account last night and used it to harass and sea-lion #metoo supporters. No, seriously.
What does 'sea-lion #metoo supporters' mean? I tried to figure it out on my own and came across a comic:

Does it involve breaking into people's homes and asking them questions?
Lexxi Gynoid is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 02-24-2018, 08:54 PM   #217 (permalink)

Rusty

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexxi Gynoid View Post
What does 'sea-lion #metoo supporters' mean?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_lioning

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
Sea lioning... is a type of Internet trolling which consists of bad-faith requests for evidence, or repeated questions, the purpose of which is not clarification or elucidation, but rather an attempt to derail a discussion or to wear down the patience of one's opponent.
wesleytron is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Said Thanks :
Old 02-24-2018, 08:57 PM   #218 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/20/2008
Client: LL Viewer V3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexxi Gynoid View Post
What does 'sea-lion #metoo supporters' mean? I tried to figure it out on my own and came across a comic:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_lioning

Quote:
Sea lioning (also spelled sealioning and sea-lioning) is a type of Internet trolling which consists of bad-faith requests for evidence, or repeated questions, the purpose of which is not clarification or elucidation, but rather an attempt to derail a discussion or to wear down the patience of one's opponent. The troll who uses this tactic also uses fake civility and feigns offense so as to discredit their target. The term arises from a 2014 edition of the webcomic Wondermark, where a character expresses an unsubstantiated dislike of sea lions and a passing sea lion repeatedly asks the character to explain.
edit: Looks like Wesleytron beat me to it.
Katheryne Helendale is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Agreed:
Old 02-25-2018, 02:17 AM   #219 (permalink)
But it refused. <3

*SLU Supporter*

The Great Big No Good Sexual Harassment thread-firefox_2018-02-25_00-15-38.jpg
Kamilah Hauptmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 06:44 PM   #220 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

"Fuller House" showrunner Jeff Franklin fired over inappropriate behavior

Quote:
According to multiple sources, the studio’s decision comes after it has received complaints about Franklin’s behavior in the writers’ room and on the set of the series, which is a sequel to the family-friendly “TGIF” sitcom “Full House” that was a staple of ABC’s schedule in the 1980s and ’90s.

“We are not renewing Jeff Franklin’s production deal and he will no longer be working on ‘Fuller House,'” Warner Bros. TV said in a statement. Stanton Larry Stein, a lawyer for Franklin, declined to comment for this story.

In a statement on Wednesday, a Netflix spokesperson said, “‘Fuller House’ will return for a fourth season, as planned. We hope to go into production in the next few months.”

Franklin has been accused of being verbally abusive to staffers and making inappropriate statements in the writers’ room, including making sexually charged comments about his personal relationships and sex life. Franklin has not been accused of directly sexually harassing or engaging in physical misconduct with any staffers.

According to a source, “Fuller House” staffers also complained about Franklin’s habit of bringing women he dated to the set and sometimes giving them bit parts in the series.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:46 AM   #221 (permalink)
But it refused. <3

*SLU Supporter*

Let's check in on that DeVos character.

The Trump Administration Has Revoked A Federal Directive On Campus Rape
Old 03-12-2018, 03:13 AM   #222 (permalink)
But it refused. <3

*SLU Supporter*

Thing on experiences of a game dev in a quality workplace.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/9...609703937.html
Old 03-12-2018, 10:33 AM   #223 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamilah Hauptmann View Post
I have to say that, from what I've read, many US legal commentators had grave reservations about the federal directive in question, and I certainly don't like much of what I've read about it.

Clearly rape investigations and prosecutions are problematic in many areas of the USA (it's generally a very difficult crime to investigate and either to prosecute or defend) but I think the solution is to try to improve rape investigations and prosecutions in all cases rather than to try to impose another badly flawed system on universities in particular.

It also seems to me completely wrong that a complaint of rape, sexual assault or any other serious criminal offence brought by one student against another should be treated any differently from any other complaint in that jurisdiction involving people who don't happen to be students.
Innula Zenovka is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-12-2018, 12:39 PM   #224 (permalink)
Lost Bird

SL Join Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamilah Hauptmann View Post
Next stop, rape will be legal among other nasty things. See you guys in hell after that happens because I will be going on a shooting rampage among the repugs. Those sorry pieces of shit don't deserve to live. Especially asstrumpet.
Believe or you will not see.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 02:17 PM   #225 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innula Zenovka View Post
I have to say that, from what I've read, many US legal commentators had grave reservations about the federal directive in question, and I certainly don't like much of what I've read about it.

Clearly rape investigations and prosecutions are problematic in many areas of the USA (it's generally a very difficult crime to investigate and either to prosecute or defend) but I think the solution is to try to improve rape investigations and prosecutions in all cases rather than to try to impose another badly flawed system on universities in particular.

It also seems to me completely wrong that a complaint of rape, sexual assault or any other serious criminal offence brought by one student against another should be treated any differently from any other complaint in that jurisdiction involving people who don't happen to be students.
I can't agree that a complaint of rape, sexual assault or any other serious criminal offense brought by one student against another should be treated the same as any other complaint in that jurisdiction involving people who don't happen to be students. It is not the same as if it involved two random people who have don't have to see each other on a regular basis. In addition, there is more of a probability that the stress of having to encounter the person who raped or assaulted on a regular basis will negatively affect grades at school, which can then have life-long impact on that person's career potential.

Rape at a school should be handled differently and there should be more protections for the victim. The system already heavily favors the accused. It is heavily in the favor of the accused to drag out an investigation, among many other short-comings with respect to the victim's protection.

It is really fucked up that the Trump admin is 'defending' the accused and 'strengthening' protection for the accused simply because there is nothing that warrants defending the accused or strengthening their protection. There isn't an epidemic of falsely accused or a huge problem with the accused being treated unfairly. There IS a problem with the victims getting screwed by the system and the accused getting off with little to no investigation.
Tranquility too is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed: