It's Al Franken's Turn - Page 8 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » It's Al Franken's Turn

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2017, 02:34 AM   #176 (permalink)
Society's Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

SL Join Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda Sullivan View Post
So long Al. You will be missed, but you did this to yourself.

Franken is set to make an announcement about his political future on Thursday

One thing Franken appears to have been during all this scandal is honest. If he truly told a woman it was "his right" as an entertainer to kiss her, he has to admit it and realize that he can't stay in office. This will be a big loss to the left. I would like to see him finish out his term, but I doubt that is even possible now.

I'm curious if anyone knows if any of the women happen to be Republicans or ex-Republican maybe? Something just seems off about all this.
Believe or you will not see.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 12-07-2017, 02:38 AM   #177 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

Dressed up like a car crash

My Mood:
Client: Black Dragon, FS, SL Viewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Tebaldi View Post
Former senator Jeff Sessions is being replaced by a Republican child molester from Alabama.

Al Fraken will be replaced by a Democrat, chosen by the Minnesota DFL Party.
I think Detrius I were both being a bit sarcastic. I am aware of who is replacing who. Franken's replacement will likely be a woman, specifically Lt. Gov. Tina Smith.

Franken's ouster has basically been a death by a thousand paper cuts. No one of these incidents would have harmed him much, but the slow drip of two, then four, now eight accusations was too much. This will swing the Senate further right as Franken's seat loses its seniority, especially if Moore comes to town.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:51 AM   #178 (permalink)
Tenacious Twat

SL Join Date: 11/21/05
Client: Firestorm usually

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Bertrand View Post
We're cleaning our house. What the fuck are you doing about yours?
They’re too busy being brainwashed into being afraid of immigrants and other nonsense, tossing aside what little dignity and decency they had to start with. Cowards. Moral and otherwise. All so they can roll over like obedient little cultists and have their pockets picked.
SalStrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 04:13 AM   #179 (permalink)

SL Join Date: Sept 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcBrian View Post
It's that the entire of atmosphere of that USO presentation was supposed to be 'flirty'.
I can't even imagine how someone could think of butt-grabbing as 'flirty'. Seriously. Risque behavior, sure, and there's nothing wrong with that if everyone's on board for it. But it isn't "flirting" in my book.

I am a seasoned flirt, and my SL persona is good at it because she knows what my RL persona knows. Flirting is done with looks, facial expressions, and many other things. There is sometimes touching involved but it's limited to things like taking just a bit longer than usual to let go of someone's hand after a handshake, or maybe the old thigh-brush. No grabbing. Most of all, flirting is done with words.

Once upon a time, my spouse and I started talking about something while we were in the kitchen. I made some typical smart-ass remark and she responded in an equally smart-ass way, but with a little more oomph. Kind of...frisky. I escalated slightly, she came right back at me. We just kept going from there. I cannot remember what started the conversation. We could have been talking about the refrigerator for all I know.

At no time was there less than about a yard (1 meter) between us, at no time did either of us use any language that was at all even suggestive. Turns out what we were doing was pretty obvious. In the middle of all this the youngest (he was at the MOST thirteen at the time) walked into the kitchen from the living room where he'd been watching TV. We saw him, of course, but continued right on with what we assumed would look to anyone not involved to be a regular old conversation. Mundane, like.

He listened and watched for a minute or so and then said (in a rather aggrieved tone), "Would you two please stop FLIRTING with each other?"

Last edited by Dillon Levenque; 12-07-2017 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Stupidity. A yard is three FEET. It's slightly less than one METER. Brain cramp.
Dillon Levenque is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 12-07-2017, 11:38 AM   #180 (permalink)
Tenacious Twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfEyes View Post
I'm curious if anyone knows if any of the women happen to be Republicans or ex-Republican maybe? Something just seems off about all this.
At least two of the women are Dems and at least two (maybe three, if memory serves) are GOP. I’m not certain about the rest of them.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 12-07-2017, 12:16 PM   #181 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

Nevertheless, she persisted.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May, 2005
Client: Firestorm

Awards: 4
Special Achievement In Creepy Avatar Threads 
Al Franken Says He Will Resign Amid Sexual Misconduct Allegations | Mother Jones

Quote:
“I know who I really am,” Franken said in a speech on the Senate floor Thursday. “Nothing I have done as a senator has brought dishonor on this institution, and I am confident that the ethics committee would agree. Nevertheless, today I am announcing that in the coming weeks that I will be resigning as a member of the United States Senate.”

He said that some of the allegations made against him were untrue; others he said he remembered “very differently.”

In a jab directed at the president and the Republican party, Franken also said he recognized the “irony that I am leaving while a man who has bragged on tape about his history of sexual assault sits in the Oval Office and a man who has preyed on underage girls is running for the Senate with the full support of his party.”
Old 12-07-2017, 12:17 PM   #182 (permalink)
Tenacious Twat

He just announced he’ll be resigning in the next few weeks in one of the most tone deaf resignation speeches I’ve ever seen someone give in a moment of public rebuke. I honestly expected better.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:39 PM   #183 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Quote:
Sweeping things under the rug?

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 04:02 PM   #184 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
"All my accusers are lying or misremembering. I haven't done anything wrong."
Dakota Tebaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 04:17 PM   #185 (permalink)
Cheese Baron

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/6/2004
Well, whatever. He's gone and we'll get another Democrat and hopefully they will do just as good of work as he did within the Senate. If only he wasn't a huge creeper.

Hey maybe just don't do shitty things to people, maybe? It's not that hard!
Lianne Marten is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Likes This:
Old 12-07-2017, 04:54 PM   #186 (permalink)
Tenacious Twat

I really, really wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt but he’s made it so hard.

“An ethics investigation would show I did nothing wrong as a senator...”

“Some of these are lies, the rest are not how I remember them...”
I mean this ^^^^ is from the Gaslighting 101 handbook.

I honestly think he had an opportunity to say something like “This has made me rethink the way I have physically interacted with women casually and realize that gestures I considered normal are not appropriate for everyone and we all need to examine these social interactions.”

Fuck. Just give my number to these people.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:09 PM   #187 (permalink)
Cheese Baron

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/6/2004
I gave him the benefit of the doubt after the first one, when he apologized and said that what he thought happened didn't matter if it was interpreted another way and caused harm. His victim accepting the apology helped as well.

Then other women came forward and sorry Al now it's a pattern of behavior. You had to go.
Lianne Marten is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 12-07-2017, 07:28 PM   #188 (permalink)
*blink*

Vatican mole

My Mood:

Quote:
He's been busy being Putin's tool.

You can wish-list items and return to SLU to purchase through the affiliate link.
Note: Some people refuse to buy from Amazon due to predatory tactics against publishers as noted here and here by Jacqueline Trudeau.

Last edited by Soen Eber; 12-07-2017 at 07:39 PM.
Soen Eber is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 12-07-2017, 07:57 PM   #189 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalStrange View Post
He just announced he’ll be resigning in the next few weeks in one of the most tone deaf resignation speeches I’ve ever seen someone give in a moment of public rebuke. I honestly expected better.
Shutting up and going away is what he should have done.
Jorus Xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:05 PM   #190 (permalink)
I shop, therefore I am

My Mood:
Client: Flavor of the week
Quote:
I think it was this one who was the tipping point:
https://www.politico.com/story/2017/...nt-2006-281049
Quote:
A former Democratic congressional aide said Al Franken tried to forcibly kiss her after a taping of his radio show in 2006, three years before he became a U.S. senator.
The aide, whose name POLITICO is withholding to protect her identity.............
I am sure it was just after this that Senators Kirsten Gillibrand, Kamala Harris, Mazie Hirono, Patty Murray, Claire McCaskill, Tammy Baldwin, and Maggie Hassan all issued their demands for Franken to resign. I think they know her identity.
"My opinion is, a designer should always try to enhance the inworld experience for his clients. In a virtual world, where individuality is hard to obtain, selling modifieable items is like selling a bit of freedom. Think about that." ~Silent Sky
Marianne Little is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 12-07-2017, 09:42 PM   #191 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lianne Marten View Post
I gave him the benefit of the doubt after the first one, when he apologized and said that what he thought happened didn't matter if it was interpreted another way and caused harm. His victim accepting the apology helped as well.

Then other women came forward and sorry Al now it's a pattern of behavior. You had to go.
I think that was a common feeling. That he was doing the right thing after the first one, even if it seemed like overreacting compared to other accusations flying around with Donnie and Moore. He should have come clean right then if there were others though.

It is too bad. He has done some good work. The time we were at the same event he knew how to tell a good joke too (and not one that just gets polite laughter).
Old 12-07-2017, 09:54 PM   #192 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

Dressed up like a car crash

My Mood:
Client: Black Dragon, FS, SL Viewer
Quote:
“Over the last few weeks, a number of women have come forward to talk about how they felt my actions had affected them. I was shocked. I was upset,” he said. “But in responding to their claims, I also wanted to be respectful of that broader conversation, because all women deserve to be heard and their experiences taken seriously. I think that was the right thing to do. I also think it gave some people the false impression that I was admitting to doing things that I in fact haven’t done”
I liked his speech. Especially the above part. It was brutally honest. Honest about his own feelings of the situation and honest about what he feels he has done and has not done. I don't want him to admit to something he feels he truly didn't do. However, he also understood that he had to go.

The irony is, Franken will be fine. He will make more money and probably will play a much more effective role in shaping legislation outside of politics. He has worked very hard over the year to become known as an expert on many complicated issues. The country on other hand, especially the women in this country, lost a representative whose record in supporting their initiatives and their rights in the Senate is beyond reproach.

The lesson learned here is that we have not moved that far from the Bill Clinton rule. No matter what party you are in if you are accused by women of improper behavior, do not treat them as equals or apologize for how you made them feel. Do not take the high ground. Instead, you should keep your mouth shut, or attack them and call them liars and question their character. That will get you elected President.
Soda Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:09 PM   #193 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/20/2008
Client: LL Viewer V3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanda Belinda View Post
Meanwhile the RNC is officially supporting Roy Moore.
As is expected of the party that supported a man who bragged about forcing himself on women because of his celebrity status, and put him in the Oval Office.

Katheryne Helendale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:04 PM   #194 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
As a matter of fact... Leeann Tweeden is a batshit, far right radio host. She was a birther.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/201...th-certificate

Another was a Trump supporter, and another was an army veteran but I couldn't find her political affiliation.

This doesn't prove their allegations are false, but it reeks.
TrollCampFollower is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 12-07-2017, 11:10 PM   #195 (permalink)
Woke Woman

It's all relative

My Mood:
SL Join Date: This time: 10/12/2010
Client: A few different ones

Al Franken is resigning. And now Congressional Democrats need to get loud about Donald Trump and Roy Moore, if he ends up in the Senate.

Donald Trump has...what is it?...19 accusers? One of whom is currently suing him right now for Defamation, while he's arguing (amongst the tweets and golf games, while taking a break now and then to continue destroying America AND the world) he's too busy to be sued.

I want them ALL gone. Tired of excuses, 'locker room talk', it's just 'flirting', 'she/he took it wrong'...whatever. The floodgates are opened, but it better not stop with just Congress. Shit flows downhill and the current man in the White House is a sexual predator who needs to be investigated for THAT along with quid pro quo's with Russia to steal a presidency and financial crimes.

ETA: And by ALL, I mean Dems, Republicans, Independents, Greens, anything in between. I DON'T CARE. ALL means ALL. People who can't keep their hands to themselves and then can't recognize WHY keeping their hands to themselves is an actual THING should NOT be in charge of making decisions which affect each and every one of us every day.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shilohlyric/
http://shilohlyric.wordpress.com/
Shiloh Lyric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:17 PM   #196 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh Lyric View Post
ETA: And by ALL, I mean Dems, Republicans, Independents, Greens, anything in between. I DON'T CARE. ALL means ALL. People who can't keep their hands to themselves and then can't recognize WHY keeping their hands to themselves is an actual THING should NOT be in charge of making decisions which affect each and every one of us every day.
With nothing to base it on I wouldn't be surprised if 1/3 of Congress would have to resign if the truth was known.
Wanda Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:30 PM   #197 (permalink)
Tenacious Twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh Lyric View Post
Al Franken is resigning. And now Congressional Democrats need to get loud about Donald Trump and Roy Moore, if he ends up in the Senate.
I am seeing this sentiment all over Twitter today and while it’s the least bad of some truly terrible takes, I think it is more said out of frustration than strategy.

I think we need to stay loud about cleaning our own house and hammer away at current legislation dangers. The tax bill, etc. WaPo and some other outlets are getting ready to drop a big story about more than 20 Congressional harassment scandals. The Frank resignation is already fucking strange and likely going to get stranger.

If Dems try to throw down a line in the sand and the GOP does nothing all it does is make us look weak for a year. If we keep our own house clean and hammer on issues, then when it gets closer to the midterms we can put the heat on Trump (and Moore, if necessary). Which is not to say we should stop pointing out Trump’s sexual abuses, but people voted for him knowing that. His base doesn’t care and GOP Congress won’t because their base doesn’t. If we try and force something it distracts from current stop the bill efforts and highlights our weakness. And we can’t look weak going into 2018.

Let Mueller continue to drop shoes. Let the staggering unpopularity of their legislative agenda simmer. Then we let slip the dogs of war. If we flip the house then we scream impeachment every hour of every day.
2 Users Like This:
Old 12-08-2017, 01:13 AM   #198 (permalink)
Society's Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

SL Join Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalStrange View Post
I really, really wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt but he’s made it so hard.

“An ethics investigation would show I did nothing wrong as a senator...”

“Some of these are lies, the rest are not how I remember them...”
I mean this ^^^^ is from the Gaslighting 101 handbook.

I honestly think he had an opportunity to say something like “This has made me rethink the way I have physically interacted with women casually and realize that gestures I considered normal are not appropriate for everyone and we all need to examine these social interactions.”

Fuck. Just give my number to these people.
What's your number?
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 12-08-2017, 05:54 AM   #199 (permalink)

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Tebaldi View Post
Former senator Jeff Sessions is being replaced by a Republican child molester from Alabama.

Al Fraken will be replaced by a Democrat, chosen by the Minnesota DFL Party.
I know about the mechanics at work here, but due to the timing, it feels like Franken is about to get replaced by Moore.

That's why I wrote "It still feels like he's about to get replaced by a Republican child molester from Alabama."

If I had meant to say "he's about to get replaced by a Republican child molester from Alabama", then I would have posted "he's about to get replaced by a Republican child molester from Alabama".
“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!” -- C. Johnson

Last edited by detrius; 12-08-2017 at 06:13 AM.
detrius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:26 AM   #200 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katheryne Helendale View Post
As is expected of the party that supported a man who bragged about forcing himself on women because of his celebrity status, and put him in the Oval Office.
It would be a delicious irony if what brings Donnie down is all those women rather than Russia. Which in turn pretty much breaks up the RNC.

Last edited by Kara Spengler; 12-08-2017 at 06:32 AM.