Yay! Australia! - SLUniverse Forums

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2017, 06:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
Yay! Australia!

One step closer...

Australia Votes ‘Yes’ on Same-Sex Marriage, Clearing Path for Legalization - The New York Times
Quote:
MELBOURNE, Australia — Australians have voted in favor of same-sex marriage in a historic survey that, while not binding, paves the way for Parliament to legally recognize the unions of gay and lesbian couples.

Of 12.7 million Australians who voted in the survey, 61.6 percent voted yes and 38.4 percent voted no, officials announced on Wednesday morning.

The results were announced as proponents of gay rights gathered at public events in cities around the country to watch the news. The largest crowd, Prince Alfred Park in Sydney, broke into cheers as the news became clear.

“It shows that Australians have truly come together in support of their gay and lesbian mates and have said that everybody should be able to have the freedom to marry,” said Alex Greenwich, a state lawmaker from New South Wales and the co-chairman of Australian Marriage Equality, an advocacy group.

In calling for the national survey, Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull sought public backing for a shift in social policy that many members of his Conservative Party oppose.

Isabeau Imako is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 11-14-2017, 06:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
bunneh

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 2006
Client: Firestorm and Project Bento
Damn, beaten to it. ^_^ I thought this warranted its own thread as well.

Twitter

That's one hell of a mandate. ^_^

And the specifics:

Quote:
Should the law be changed to allow same-sex couples to marry?

Of the eligible Australians who expressed a view on this question, the majority indicated that the law should be changed to allow same-sex couples to marry, with 7,817,247 (61.6%) responding Yes and 4,873,987 (38.4%) responding No. Nearly 8 out of 10 eligible Australians (79.5%) expressed their view.

All states and territories recorded a majority Yes response. 133 of the 150 Federal Electoral Divisions recorded a majority Yes response, and 17 of the 150 Federal Electoral Divisions recorded a majority No response.
And as a flourish..

Twitter
"Separated lovers cheat absence by a thousand fancies which have their own reality. They are prevented from seeing one another and they cannot write; nevertheless they find countless mysterious ways of corresponding, by sending each other the song of birds, the scent of flowers, the laughter of children, the light of the sun, the sighing of the wind, and the gleam of the stars - all the beauties of creation." -- Victor Hugo
Porsupah Ree is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Said Yay!:
Old 11-14-2017, 07:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Myf
McMahon

A Small Field Squirrel

My Mood:
SL Join Date: March '07
Business: The Kino Haus
Client: the one you hate

Awards: 2
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Never fear, our local variation of the Christian Taliban has already started gearing up for continuing the fight. The next step is to introduce legislation littered with poison pills so vile that it will be impossible to pass. At least one of the potential bills being floated is so laden with exemptions it's less about SSM legalisation and more about winding back 30 years worth of anti-lgbtiq discrimination laws, with "I guess ghey people can marry now" scrawled across the back.

While Turnbull, our current PM is ostensibly from the progressive side of his party, that party is still the major conservative party, and it is currently controlled by the socially regressive wing. They're going to do everything in their power to delay and dilute any bills on the issue. Added to this, the current political situation in this country is extremely volatile, to the point that a constitutional crisis is, not exactly imminent, but certainly a genuine possibility. That is to say, regardless of what "the people" want, there is still a lot of pushback coming from the mouth breathers in parliament, and I don't hold a great deal of hope for a good outcome anytime soon.
Myf is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 11-14-2017, 07:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Myf, yes to all that. But my gut feel is that they have to know they'll lose ground if that happens. I hope they do.They'll lose the next election for sure.

The turn out was much better than predicted and has to give them pause for thought. Let's hope that minds are running scared and seeing the almighty vote in the next few days.

Lol, just listening to Latham, the fool. WHO cares if some businesses won't allow certain members of their community to spend their money there? I doubt the masses of weddings planned for 2018 and beyond give a damn. They'll be thankful that they know who to avoid.
Daisy Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
bunneh

My Mood:
JMG reminded us of this delightful individual's dire warning. =

https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/same-...-ng-b88600348z

Quote:
“We already have 36,000 gay couples in this nation, that’s not a lot of people when you think about the 25 million. They already have civil union. “They want marriage because they want to destroy it.”

Mrs Court, a Christian minister based in Osborne Park, said the consequences of a Yes vote would be severe. “It’s not about marriage. It will affect Christian schools, it will affect freedom of speech,” she said.

“There will be no Mother’s Day, there will be no Father’s Day, there will be no Easter, there will be no Christmas.”
Who knew?
2 Users Groaned:
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 11-14-2017, 08:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Myf
McMahon

A Small Field Squirrel

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Walters View Post
Myf, yes to all that. But my gut feel is that they have to know they'll lose ground if that happens. I hope they do.They'll lose the next election for sure.
Spoiling the bill in order to delay SSM legislation would be a win for the regressives. It will make Turnbull look weak(er). It will force Labor and the Greens to oppose the bill which in turn, the Coalition can use as ammunition. It will allow them to retain "ideological purity" while at the same time allowing them to claim that they tried, gosh darnit. Finally, it passes the buck along the way. These people know that it's inevitable, their aim at the moment is to leave it for a Labor government to enact, that way they can wail and gnash their teeth on Alan Jones' show, wiping their base up for the next time they want to bully immigrants, or single mothers, or indigenous groups or whomever they're using as hate fuel at the time.
1 User Said Thanks:
2 Users Agreed:
Old 11-15-2017, 02:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
praise kek

Client: neil life
yaaay!
aus bakers will be forced to bake obscene wedding cakes festooned with cocks and like, just so rabid leftists can rub their noses in it.
churches will be forced to violate their own faith just so libtards can take a shit on the alter to 'get even'.
kids will need to be 'educated' about gay parents, so the 'anti-bullying' safe-schools program will go into overdrive.
6 year olds will end up being 'counciled' by trans activists.

this was never simply about ssm. too bad we werent allowed to let people know what they were really voting on. every newspaper, sporting team, celeb, etc were all in for 'yes', and of course no dissent was allowed. even our cuck 'conservative' pm was barracking for 'yes'! i am so happy to see his party implode.

i cant wait til somebody rises to fill that gigantic vacuum to the right of the coalition! it will be glorious.

Attached Thumbnails
Yay! Australia!-img_7589.jpg  

Last edited by uzif; 11-15-2017 at 02:53 AM.
uzif is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 11-15-2017, 02:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
Myf
McMahon

A Small Field Squirrel

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by uzif View Post
i cant wait til somebody rises to fill that gigantic vacuum to the right of the coalition! it will be glorious.
So you're proposing filling the empty space inside Bernadi's and Hanson's heads? Interesting.
1 User Likes This:
Old 11-15-2017, 03:01 AM   #9 (permalink)
praise kek

Client: neil life
perhaps i should have worded that better.
uzif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:05 AM   #10 (permalink)

My Mood:

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 

Hate piñata! Hit 'spoiler' to let the impotent rage pour all over you!
“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!” -- C. Johnson

Last edited by detrius; 11-15-2017 at 05:43 AM.
detrius is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 11-15-2017, 03:52 AM   #11 (permalink)

Hi Nina. Here to fuck up another thread just for shits and giggles?

Grow up lovie. Move on. 10 YEARS!!!! A decade of your life being an utter cunt.

/me shakes head.
1 User Agreed:
Old 11-15-2017, 10:03 AM   #12 (permalink)
Fuzzlebugs Finkmellon

haz dem bodacious ta-tas

My Mood:
SL Join Date: September 2009
Client: Singularity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsupah Ree View Post
JMG reminded us of this delightful individual's dire warning. =

https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/same-...-ng-b88600348z

Quote:
“There will be no Mother’s Day, there will be no Father’s Day, there will be no Easter, there will be no Christmas.”

Who knew?
Teh gays are taking away Christmas??
Cristiano
The first rule of Pope Club is you don't talk about Pope Club.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrinB View Post
Anouk: "Proudly shackling the genie-arses of abnormal men!"
Anouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:35 AM   #13 (permalink)
bunneh

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anouk View Post
To be fair, it will mean Cris giving us all presents in a few weeks.
1 User Said Yay!:
2 Users Laughed:
Old 11-15-2017, 05:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
Myf
McMahon

A Small Field Squirrel

My Mood:

So I know I was being quite cynical about this result yesterday, but seeing this photo this morning brought home how much of a victory this really is. The people in this photo are assorted senators in the Australian upper house of parliament. The woman in the middle, the one crying, that's Penny Wong, leader of the opposition in the senate. Penny Wong was the first openly gay woman elected to federal parliament.

Old 11-15-2017, 05:52 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myf View Post
So I know I was being quite cynical about this result yesterday, but seeing this photo this morning brought home how much of a victory this really is. The people in this photo are assorted senators in the Australian upper house of parliament. The woman in the middle, the one crying, that's Penny Wong, leader of the opposition in the senate. Penny Wong was the first openly gay woman elected to federal parliament.

Glad you see it now Myf.

It's more than you see. More than that. This one can't be put on the back burner any longer. Those that try will be shooting themselves in the political foot. Momentum hey?

Gay Marriage haz it.
1 User Agreed:
Old 11-15-2017, 07:16 PM   #16 (permalink)

Building Better Worlds since 1979

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jun 27, 2006
Client: 7 of them (I like testing)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anouk View Post
Santa Claus/Father Christmas is partly based on Odin, who was said to ride the skies on his 8-footed steed Slepnir at yuletide, bringing gifts. And we all know Odin's home Asgard is reached by the rainbow bridge Bifrost, so we are good.

DanielRavenNest is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
1 User Agreed:
2 Users Like This:
Old 11-15-2017, 07:57 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielRavenNest View Post
Santa Claus/Father Christmas is partly based on Odin, who was said to ride the skies on his 8-footed steed Slepnir at yuletide, bringing gifts. And we all know Odin's home Asgard is reached by the rainbow bridge Bifrost, so we are good.

Bugger. I find Christmas to be a horrid day filled with stress about food that I have to get ready and not eat after stressing about the inflated prices at that time of the year. We can't afford to gift people, and so then I have to try to explain that giving is better than getting so no one should happily get anything anyhow because of the giving is better that getting shit so WHY shop in the first place? Give it to the pandas and the almost dead children? Tigers? That's always popular.

Because money. That I don't have. But other people want. When all I NEED to do is feed people and not eat because if I did I'd throw it up after all the stress.

I'd rather not go to a wedding that I'd been invited to by people who care for me but understand that I hate this social shit and don't want to go.
3 Users Hugged You:
Old 11-15-2017, 09:42 PM   #18 (permalink)
Omnomnomnivore

Needing a Houdini mentor

SL Join Date: 3/23/2007
Business: Eclectica
Client: Firestorm & V3
I take particular pleasure in how the no vote didn't quite reach the 40% that Abbott claimed would signify a "moral victory" for the conservatives.
Tiffy Vella is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This:
Old 11-15-2017, 10:48 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffy Vella View Post
I take particular pleasure in how the no vote didn't quite reach the 40% that Abbott claimed would signify a "moral victory" for the conservatives.
As does his sister and her soon to be wife?
2 Users Laughed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 11-15-2017, 11:12 PM   #20 (permalink)
Omnomnomnivore

Needing a Houdini mentor

SL Join Date: 3/23/2007
Business: Eclectica
Client: Firestorm & V3
Oh to be a fly on the wall at their next family get-together!
Tiffy Vella is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
1 User Agreed:
Old 11-16-2017, 04:46 AM   #21 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Quote:
perhaps i should have worded that better.
You could try adding "LOL TROLLOLOLOL" and maybe some quotes from Mein Kampf.

"And now I'm going to show you something really cool."

The previous is a cybernetic datum published - in direct contravention of DoD Regulation #229RR3X3 - as being conducive to the physical, psychological and/or social well-being of the population.
Argent Stonecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 11-16-2017, 08:27 AM   #22 (permalink)

I cnat tpyipng actlluay, srry

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 6th Jan 2007
Client: Firestorm

Same-sex marriage survey results: See how people who live near you responded - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

It's really interesting seeing the voting statistics for individual electorates. Mine of Lyne in NSW barely scraped in with a 55% YES majority, but I'm amazed at electorates in Melbourne and Sydney that voted a whopping 85% in favour! Go team!

Both my parents voted NO though
Mum is a CDP/Fred Nile voter so that explains that.
Dad, well.....dad is just an ageing yobbo.
Amelia Freund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 12:17 PM   #23 (permalink)

Getting Back There

My Mood:
Client: Exodus

Quote:
yaaay!
aus bakers will be forced to bake obscene wedding cakes festooned with cocks and like, just so rabid leftists can rub their noses in it.
churches will be forced to violate their own faith just so libtards can take a shit on the alter to 'get even'.
kids will need to be 'educated' about gay parents, so the 'anti-bullying' safe-schools program will go into overdrive.
6 year olds will end up being 'counciled' by trans activists.

this was never simply about ssm. too bad we werent allowed to let people know what they were really voting on. every newspaper, sporting team, celeb, etc were all in for 'yes', and of course no dissent was allowed. even our cuck 'conservative' pm was barracking for 'yes'! i am so happy to see his party implode.

Thanks for the schadenfreude.
Wrong Weatherwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:16 PM   #24 (permalink)
Myf
McMahon

A Small Field Squirrel

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelia Freund View Post
It's really interesting seeing the voting statistics for individual electorates. Mine of Lyne in NSW barely scraped in with a 55% YES majority, but I'm amazed at electorates in Melbourne and Sydney that voted a whopping 85% in favour! Go team!
My own division turned in 80%, which was nice. It means only 2 out of every 10 of my neighbours think I don't deserve equal rights.

The electorate that surprised me though was Parramatta. That the outer west of Sydney was so low isn't exactly a shock, there's a lot of migrant communities from very conservative countries in those areas. Still, Parramatta is inner west and on the surface at least, quite cosmopolitan, and they turned in more or less the exact inverse of the national vote. Lindsay and Macarthur, both of which cover suburbs that are borderline rural turned in substantially higher yes votes than Parramatta. Not a result I would have predicted.
1 User Agreed:
Old 11-16-2017, 06:48 PM   #25 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

I haven't lived in Sydney since the '70s but when I did Parramatta was pretty Western Suburbs if you know what I mean.
Argent Stonecutter is offline   Reply With Quote