Telephones - why? - SLUniverse Forums

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2017, 08:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
bunneh

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 2006
Client: Firestorm and Project Bento
Telephones - why?

I genuinely can't add to this; the author says everything I want to, succinctly. If you'd like to read this to its end - it's not that long - you'll maybe either understand my dislike of phones, or be in as much agreement as me.

https://jameshfisher.com/2017/11/08/i-hate-telephones
"Separated lovers cheat absence by a thousand fancies which have their own reality. They are prevented from seeing one another and they cannot write; nevertheless they find countless mysterious ways of corresponding, by sending each other the song of birds, the scent of flowers, the laughter of children, the light of the sun, the sighing of the wind, and the gleam of the stars - all the beauties of creation." -- Victor Hugo
Porsupah Ree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 08:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
I agree with the first third - the "home" telephone is intrinsically rude and intrusive, and I also never keep mine plugged into the wall. The rest of the article is about his social anxiety particular to talking on the phone; I don't personally have that, so having to call other people isn't an issue for me but I sympathize.
Dakota Tebaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 08:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Mood:

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
I have a VDSL modem from AVM, so I can configure my phone to redirect all incoming calls between 11PM and 6AM to the integrated answering machine, set the ring tone of the connected phone to a pleasant tune and accept known numbers only, among other things.

I suppose most of the author's issues could be easily fixed with a modest upgrade of his home's communications equipment; or even minor adjustments of the existing gear.
ďWhen life gives you lemons, donít make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I donít want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see lifeís manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? Iím the man whoís gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! Iím gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!Ē -- C. Johnson

Last edited by detrius; 11-11-2017 at 08:39 PM.
detrius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 08:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

I finally got it all together, but now I forget where I put it.

My Mood:
I hate phones, so I figure that having a job where I have to regularly be on the phones is some kind of penance for some sin I had to have committed.
Zaida Gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 08:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

Singing along with old music

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Oct 4 2009
Business: Moondrops ; Tempus Fugit; Faerycat Designs; sPunk
Client: Firestorm
A good part of my phone issues stem from working telemarketing [because it was all I could find ]. And it never lasted long because I'm no good at being pushy and rude, apparently.

Aribeth Zelin is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 11-11-2017, 08:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
kortee'nea

SL Join Date: May 2007

Awards: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to Adeon Writer
I've never owned a landline, and my cellphone does not accept calls from numbers that are not already on my contact list.

This has never presented itself as a problem for every day life nor emergencies. Legitimate businesses will always provide you their outbound dailing number so you can expect their calls.

It eliminates unwanted calls 100%.

Landlines don't have this functionality - but you can buy privacy managers that sit between your phone and the jack that will do it for you.

Edited to add: Unaccepted calls simply go directly to the answering machine, no ringing, so if it's an emergency from an unknown number, they can still leave a message.
Adeon Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 08:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
bunneh

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 2006
Client: Firestorm and Project Bento
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaida Gearbox View Post
I hate phones, so I figure that having a job where I have to regularly be on the phones is some kind of penance for some sin I had to have committed.
Without being intrusive, what would your preferred job be?

Myself, I keep my iPhone on Do Not Disturb permanently, unless I have a known important call due - anyone who knows me knows email's the way to reach me (or here, I suppose =, and the very few essentials are whitelisted, including my mother, her neighbor, and a few other important people. Otherwise, it's just this raucous intrusion that destroys my mental stack.
Porsupah Ree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 08:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aribeth Zelin View Post
A good part of my phone issues stem from working telemarketing [because it was all I could find ]. And it never lasted long because I'm no good at being pushy and rude, apparently.
I tried working two different call center jobs. One was a cold-calling telemarketing job; I literally went home halfway through the second day and that was it - not only was I not good at being pushy and rude, I spent the entire time at work kinda perpetually nauseated just because I hated the whole idea of cold-calling sales so much. And it seemed like 4 out of every 5 people the computer dialed were seniors, and that just made me feel even worse.

The second job was a call-in place, doing customer service for one of the big cell phone networks. I lasted a few months at that job at least; I eventually quit for the opposite reason - because I got tired of being treated like garbage by the people calling in. I mean I was already used to being treated that that way by customers, because I'd just come off of working for a few years for McDonald's as a kid. But there came a point when I was like, dammit I'm a freaking grown adult, I'm not going to be talked to that way anymore. So I moved on.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 11-11-2017, 08:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

I finally got it all together, but now I forget where I put it.

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsupah Ree View Post
Without being intrusive, what would your preferred job be?

Myself, I keep my iPhone on Do Not Disturb permanently, unless I have a known important call due - anyone who knows me knows email's the way to reach me (or here, I suppose =, and the very few essentials are whitelisted, including my mother, her neighbor, and a few other important people. Otherwise, it's just this raucous intrusion that destroys my mental stack.
I actually really like the part of my job that is not on the phones - processing claims. To me that's my dream job. Sitting in front of a computer all day with very little human interaction.

Sometimes I think I'd like to work with animals at a doggie day care or something like that. But it can't be a rescue because well... I have enough dogs. I promised Hubs that if the words, "I want a puppy" ever come out of my mouth and we still have all 3 dogs he can hit me.
Zaida Gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Likes This:
Old 11-11-2017, 09:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Particle Laboratory Elf

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jan 15 2004
Business: Light Sorcery

My home phone has been unplugged since the last political robo-call rampage. Simply put, I figure if you dare interrupt me at home to peddle something I don't want over the phone ... you've consented to whatever verbal abuse I have stored up waiting to be released.

Anything else (except family, friends or immediate business matters) via phone (or email) counts as 'work'. And if it's work, without remuneration, don't expect civility.
Jopsy Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 10:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

Singing along with old music

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Oct 4 2009
Business: Moondrops ; Tempus Fugit; Faerycat Designs; sPunk
I have a cell phone that often doesn't bother ringing, and we've not had a land line since.... 05? I think that's when we realized with everyone having a cell phone, why pay for a landline.

I don't answer if I don't know the number - if its important they can leave a message - and if the message is halfway through a recording, its obviously not.
Aribeth Zelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 10:11 PM   #12 (permalink)

When I only had a landline I used to leave it unplugged for days. That was my privacy solution.
Wanda Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 11-11-2017, 11:29 PM   #13 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

I'm just a girl, with some horns

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008

Quote:
Recently, when I was at mum’s alone, the house phone rang. I didn’t answer it. It rang again immediately. I didn’t answer it. It rang again immediately. I stood over it, willing it to stop, palms sweating. The stand-off was only broken when mother texted me to tell me to answer the phone. I hate telephones.
Everything about this screams "INTERNET DEVELOPER NERD." So I check out the top of jameshfisher.com...... YUP.
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 11-11-2017, 11:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
kortee'nea

SL Join Date: May 2007

Send a message via Skype™ to Adeon Writer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Xue View Post
Everything about this screams "INTERNET DEVELOPER NERD." So I check out the top of jameshfisher.com...... YUP.
I like code because it doesn't see you and ask you how you are, and you just have to say that you’re fine, when you’re not really fine, but you just can’t get into it because they would never understand.
Adeon Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Hugged You:
Old 11-11-2017, 11:44 PM   #15 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

I'm just a girl, with some horns

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeon Writer View Post
I like code because it doesn't see you and ask you how you are, and you just have to say that youíre fine, when youíre not really fine, but you just canít get into it because they would never understand.
Dead flies behave the same way. You could always study dead flies if the code suddenly becomes aware of you.
Free Xue is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 11-12-2017, 12:12 AM   #16 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

My Blender projects never try to rope me into a pointless shallow conversation about what I'll be doing this weekend. But I always figured it's just because they already know full well what I'll be doing this weekend.

1 User Hugged You:
Old 11-12-2017, 09:34 AM   #17 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

Dressed up like a car crash

My Mood:
Client: Black Dragon, FS, SL Viewer
Do to my own health that can require immediate action and also because people in my family tend to drop dead at the most inopportune moments, and also since I live in the boonies, I choose to keep a landline. Normally it is not much of a bother because I don't give the number out much and I use an answering machine. What really gets me are the people who call, and it can be the day or night, and they never leave a message. I mean, if you are taking your valuable time to call me, wouldn't you want to leave me a message?
Soda Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 11-12-2017, 10:59 AM   #18 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
There are people that still answer home phones? I only have one because it is part of my internet bundle and it would actually cost more to not have the phone.

My outgoing voicemail message basically says I never check my messages. Anyone who knows me will have my cell and will know that I will see email right away. I only answer it if I see it ringing and it is a number I recognize (a few friends have not gotten the concept of not trying to call me on it).

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 11-12-2017, 12:12 PM   #19 (permalink)
Society's Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

SL Join Date: April 2004
VOIP isn't what I call a landline/home phone. A landline/home phone is when you are paying an actual phone company a monthly bill for phone service that comes through the telephone wires. Landlines do not transmit via the internet. They existed long before the internet. Anyone who was an adult before there were home computers knows this.
Believe or you will not see.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 11-12-2017, 01:51 PM   #20 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

Nevertheless, she persisted.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May, 2005

Awards: 4
Special Achievement In Creepy Avatar Threads 
My solution to unwanted calls is to just decline them and block them. Amazingly after several months of effort, the spam calls have diminished to almost zero.

I still yell at "Jennifer from Customer Service" when I'm in a bad mood. But I hang up before she can serve a witty retort.
1 User Agreed:
Old 11-12-2017, 02:11 PM   #21 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfEyes View Post
VOIP isn't what I call a landline/home phone. A landline/home phone is when you are paying an actual phone company a monthly bill for phone service that comes through the telephone wires. Landlines do not transmit via the internet. They existed long before the internet. Anyone who was an adult before there were home computers knows this.
Nah Kara's talking about a legit landline. Her ISP is probably a cable company that also offers phone and internet. I have a similar bundle for the same reason she mentions - if I dropped the phone line I wouldn't be eligible for my unlimited internet at the same price anymore.

VOIP is a different ball of wax. I had it once for a while, this outfit called MagicJack. It was okay I guess, and a lot cheaper than a landline would've been, but now I have this other.
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 11-12-2017, 03:52 PM   #22 (permalink)

lesser spotted swivel eyed loon

My Mood:
Business: The Tiggerworks
I recently moved home, got a new landline with my broadband. I've only given the landline number to one person - my mother - because it is the only form of communication she understands or will attempt to use and she wont phone a mobile as she is certain that it will cost her thousands of pounds to make a call to one.

So far I've had one call from her, checking that she had the number right and about 30 other calls, all from scammers. Trouble is I still have to answer the phone just in case it might actually be mum.
If it wasn't for her, I wouldn't even have a phone plugged into the socket.
Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 04:16 PM   #23 (permalink)
Eternal Newbie

*SLU Supporter*
Entirely without credibility

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 21 June 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
Trouble is I still have to answer the phone just in case it might actually be mum.
If it wasn't for her, I wouldn't even have a phone plugged into the socket.
Might be worth getting a phone with Caller Display ?
Arkady Arkright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 04:22 PM   #24 (permalink)

lesser spotted swivel eyed loon

My Mood:
Business: The Tiggerworks
I think theres an additional monthly charge for caller display capability on the line.

What I want to know is why the phone companies arent doing something about the ludicrous number of scam callers. Google manages anti-spam measures its about time phone companies took some responsibility for the spammers that use their services.
Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 04:23 PM   #25 (permalink)
Society's Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

SL Join Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Tebaldi View Post
Nah Kara's talking about a legit landline. Her ISP is probably a cable company that also offers phone and internet. I have a similar bundle for the same reason she mentions - if I dropped the phone line I wouldn't be eligible for my unlimited internet at the same price anymore.

VOIP is a different ball of wax. I had it once for a while, this outfit called MagicJack. It was okay I guess, and a lot cheaper than a landline would've been, but now I have this other.
I have the phone/internet/cable bundle. I've had it for years.

What I am talking about has nothing to do with bundled services.

I'm talking about how phones used to be before you were born.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote