Now it is George Takai's Turn - man alleges sexual attack in 1981 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » Now it is George Takai's Turn - man alleges sexual attack in 1981

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2017, 11:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

Dressed up like a car crash

My Mood:
Client: Black Dragon, FS, SL Viewer
Now it is George Takai's Turn - man alleges sexual attack in 1981

George Takei Accused Of Groping Former Male Model In 1981

Quote:
Brunton said he was invited back to the “Star Trek” actor’s home for a drink, and that’s when Brunton says the assault happen. After Brunton’s second drink at the condo, he said, he began to feel disoriented and dizzy, then passed out.

“The next thing I remember I was coming to and he had my pants down around my ankles and he was groping my crotch and trying to get my underwear off and feeling me up at the same time, trying to get his hands down my underwear,” Brunton told The Hollywood Reporter. “I came to and said, ‘What are you doing?!’ I said, ‘I don’t want to do this.’ He goes, ‘You need to relax. I am just trying to make you comfortable. Get comfortable.’”
Oh my. Shades of Cosby here. Let the crucifixion begin.
Soda Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Groaned:
Old 11-10-2017, 11:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 3/9/2006
Client: Firestorm
Honestly, this is starting to feel like it's just a huge distraction from some other crap going on.

/ConspiracyCap

http://allaroundthegrid.blogspot.com/
Ramen Jedburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 12:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Society's Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

SL Join Date: April 2004
Yeah. I'm calling bullshit on this one.
Believe or you will not see.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Agreed:
Old 11-11-2017, 04:24 AM   #4 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
I've believed everyone who has come forward since this season of disclosure began. There is no way I can internally justify making an exception this time. So far I've been pretty lucky all things considered, but I've known from the beginning that there was going to come a moment when somebody in Hollywood I actually liked and respected, or heck even just gave a damn about, was hit with an allegation; and I've been telling myself the whole time that I'd still side with the person making the claim until there was a positive reason to make an exception besides my personal feelings about the accused. Well, looks like the chips are down now; so, I'm going to believe it.

And George Takei isn't the last one you really like who will be accused either, so we may as well be ready.

Last edited by Dakota Tebaldi; 11-11-2017 at 04:36 AM.
Dakota Tebaldi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 06:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Tebaldi View Post
I've believed everyone who has come forward since this season of disclosure began. There is no way I can internally justify making an exception this time.
The others accused so far had deep, somewhat known patterns of such behavior and sometimes even admitted to it. So far this is just one unsubstantiated claim. I will wait to see what else comes to light before I make a judgement.
TrollCampFollower is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 11-11-2017, 06:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

Head of the SLU Troll Tax Administration

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2006

The 2 Millionth Post Award 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollCampFollower View Post
The others accused so far had deep, somewhat known patterns of such behavior and sometimes even admitted to it. So far this is just one unsubstantiated claim. I will wait to see what else comes to light before I make a judgement.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:14 AM   #7 (permalink)

25 forevah! in SL at least

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 2004
Business: Mediverse
Client: Mostly Firestorm
As I said recently when allegations about a government minister repeatedly putting his hand on the knee of a journalist was reported... it's possible that someone who tries to kiss or fondle someone and desists when told to, has simply misread the signs. Someone who repeatedly puts their hand on a knee and has to be threatened with violence to stop... there will be others.

The incident reported here is highly abusive behaviour, not drunken fumbling or misuse of the power a star has over someone else. If this accusation is true, there will be others. Although if someone uses drugs to overpower others, their recollection may not be reliable.

There are as many dangers in cravenly believing your idols to be immune as there are in believing every story told about them. People do things for the weirdest of reasons and 15 minutes of fame could be the motive, or might deter someone from reporting, you just can't tell.
Caliandris is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 11-11-2017, 08:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

Singing along with old music

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Oct 4 2009
Business: Moondrops ; Tempus Fugit; Faerycat Designs; sPunk
I haven't believed all the allegations ever, and here's the thing... if it happened once, then it could be an aberration, or it could be someone making accusations to get fame, money or revenge for a slight.

If it happened a lot, then a bunch of folks will come forward and say something. I mean, look at Spacey, for example, or Weinstein, or well any of a number of others.

And I say this as a survivor myself. We need to listen, but we also need to not just assume someone is telling the truth when they say 'Oh, so-n-so did this to me' especially if it doesn't match up with anything else.

Aribeth Zelin is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 11-11-2017, 09:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
Before I retired from my work in the criminal justice system I was involved in numerous complaints of rape and sexual assault. Certainly some people do make false allegations for whatever reason, particularly in high-profile cases like this, though I don't think it's particularly common.

Each complaint has to be considered and investigated individually.

George Takei strongly denies the allegations and I'm certainly prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt unless there's some credible evidence to support them (which might well include credible allegations by unrelated complainants of similar misconduct).

Twitter

Last edited by Innula Zenovka; 11-11-2017 at 10:36 AM.
Innula Zenovka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 12:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

Singing along with old music

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Oct 4 2009
Business: Moondrops ; Tempus Fugit; Faerycat Designs; sPunk
I know most allegations are true, or true enough to be trusted, and I know most times, they are treated as false and the survivor as someone who is the one at fault, its just, well, I think of Michael Jackson, where one accusation, and no other kid came forth to say anything, or even Johnny Depp [unless I've missed something], who has only ever been accused of abuse from a woman who got busted for abusing her girlfriend.

I mean, people will make outlandish [such as going to school with Michael Stipe - still don't know if she was full of it or not] claims to get fame, money or revenge, of all sorts - sometimes they're true, other times, not so true.
Aribeth Zelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 01:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
captured like a Pokemans.

bitches love to be called beautiful.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: early 2006.

Someone posted this on another forum.

(The Youtube account hosting it is gross, but it's a clip of an interview that actually did happen so.)

I found a DailyKos article discussing it that reads well and logical, but then she says this:

Quote:
He is talking about men who accepted an invitation into his home, and being firm with them so as to get them past fear.
I'm sorry, but no. No. No. No. And no.

I can't believe the things that you'll say
To keep me around and close to your side.

-- Film School - Compare.

When a country is full of food, and exporting it, there can be no famine.
-- George Bernard Shaw.

Last edited by Deca!; 11-11-2017 at 01:59 PM.
Deca! is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Said Thanks :
Old 11-11-2017, 02:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
SLU Fluffer

Cock Chafer

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2007
Client: Catznip or the Official but I dabble in others

The Penis Handler 
We're about to enter a difficult period I think. Not only, as mentioned above, that some names we admire might be named, but some less credible or even false accusations may surface from those thinking the trend might lower their burden of proof. That the claims will be accepted more easily and ride the wave.

We are each going to have to ask ourselves what criteria we are using to determine our reaction or feelings about the claims. Is it volume of accusers? Is it the reputation of the accused or reputation of the accuser? Is it that undefined gut instinct that the person being accused feels like the sort who would do something like that? Or the opposite?

Most troubling, for me anyway, is that I personally don't seem to feel each accused is innocent until proven guilty. Some I mentally deem guilty right away. Others? Well if I'm honest I don't know that I'm 100% following the "I believe you" movement that I do think is important to changing how victims are treated, and the rate of reporting.

Lastly, when I admit to myself that I am making judgment calls, do I then have to be more respectful of those doing the same and who are just defending the accused that I've dismissed as guilty for the same reasons I am reluctant to buy into other claims without more information?

Ugh.
1 User Hugged You:
Old 11-11-2017, 02:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deca! View Post
Someone posted this on another forum.

George Takei Admitted To Sexually Harassing Men On A Howard Stern Podcast - YouTube

(The Youtube account hosting it is gross, but it's a clip of an interview that actually did happen so.)

I found a DailyKos article discussing it that reads well and logical, but then she says this:
Quote:
He is talking about men who accepted an invitation into his home, and being firm with them so as to get them past fear.
I'm sorry, but no. No. No. No. And no.
That, of course, is not what's been alleged here. Brunton says that he passed out while at Takei's home and awoke to find Takei removing his (Brunton's) trousers. Brunton says he then told Takei to stop, and he did.

Since Brunton was, he says, passed out at the time, he was incapable of consenting, so removing his trousers would have been an assault, but as soon as he woke up and made his objections clear, Takes didn't, on Brunton's account, try to force him or even "be firm" with him. He stopped when asked to.

On the wider question of what Takei describes, it's clear to me (and to English law) that there's a vital distinction between consent, even grudging consent, and unwilling submission. On Takei's account, his activities were always consensual, and I'm certainly prepared to accept that until someone comes along and says differently.

Many of us, in a similar position, would probably have said to Takei, "No, I won't be pushed into this. Take your hands off me right now." The fact that other people reacted differently doesn't, it seems to me, necessarily mean they simply submitted to his advances and did not, in the event, consent to them.

And it certainly doesn't mean that unless somebody actually comes forward and says that's what happened -- "I told him to stop, but he wouldn't, and I was too frightened to resist him."
Old 11-11-2017, 02:43 PM   #14 (permalink)

My Mood:

I've heard the gamut of excuses and "you just didn't know you wanted it" has been one of them, or variations of it. "Skittish" falls under that umbrella to me. Someone shows resistance or uncertainty, you stop. You don't grab their genitalia.

As for the quote from the DailyKos:

Quote:
If a male writer had said this about a woman who was assaulted by a man, that place would've been rightfully burned in effigy. I'm failing to see why this is, or should be, any different.
Old 11-11-2017, 02:45 PM   #15 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Quote:
If a male writer had said this about a woman who was assaulted by a man, that place would've been rightfully burned in effigy. I'm failing to see why this is, or should be, any different.
"The harder the resistance, the greater the rebound" is a common bro-ism.
Old 11-11-2017, 02:49 PM   #16 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innula Zenovka View Post
Since Brunton was, he says, passed out at the time, he was incapable of consenting, so removing his trousers would have been an assault, but as soon as he woke up and made his objections clear, Takes didn't, on Brunton's account, try to force him or even "be firm" with him. He stopped when asked to.
I realize that, but - without the alleged drugs, this is the scenario Roy Moore's 14-year-old victim described. He took off her clothes and was groping her through her underwear. At that point she, too, said "stop" and Moore said "okay" and stopped. But the problem is, the line had already been crossed.
Old 11-11-2017, 02:52 PM   #17 (permalink)

My Mood:

Yeah, in my mind fondling someone through their underwear and trying to get your hand down their waistband without their consent isn't on the road to assault. It is assault.
Old 11-11-2017, 02:55 PM   #18 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

Quote:
I've heard the gamut of excuses and "you just didn't know you wanted it" has been one of them, or variations of it. "Skittish" falls under that umbrella to me. Someone shows resistance or uncertainty, you stop. You don't grab their genitalia.

As for the quote from the DailyKos:

The difference is that no one has, as yet, come forward to say he was forced into doing something non-consensual.

Rather than speculate about what Takei may have been describing in the radio interview, I'll wait for someone to come along and describe something that he says actually happened, what Takei did, and what he did, and whether it was consensual or not.
Old 11-11-2017, 02:58 PM   #19 (permalink)

My Mood:

Except this guy did.

He said he woke up to Takei touching his penis through his underwear and trying to stick his hand down his waistband. While he was passed out.

If I related that happening to me to someone and they questioned whether I was really assaulted or not, I'd go sheet-white and punch them in the face. As it stands, and at the risk of showing my ass and having people think I'm "taking this personally", I've had family members face much the same thing. And saw the result. It wasn't a punch in the face, it was much worse.

So I'll take this guy's assertion that him being passed out and waking up to being fondled wasn't consensual. Which counts as assault.
2 Users Agreed:
Old 11-11-2017, 03:08 PM   #20 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

Quote:
Except this guy did.

He said he woke up to Takei touching his penis through his underwear and trying to stick his hand down his waistband. While he was passed out.

If I related that happening to me to someone and they questioned whether I was really assaulted or not, I'd go sheet-white and punch them in the face. As it stands, and at the risk of showing my ass and having people think I'm "taking this personally", I've had family members face much the same thing. And saw the result. It wasn't a punch in the face, it was much worse.

So I'll take this guy's assertion that him being passed out and waking up to being fondled wasn't consensual. Which counts as assault.
We're at cross purposes. What Brunton describes, Takei says never happened. He doesn't recall ever having met Brunton, and he's never behaved that way to anyone.

The sort of behaviour Takei describes in the interview, involving men other than Brunton who are fully conscious, doesn't seem to me to match what Brunton describes, unless we think that, for Takei, "being skittish" encompasses "being passed out."
Old 11-11-2017, 03:14 PM   #21 (permalink)

My Mood:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that maybe people lie to cover their ass. Or that behaviour can escalate. Or that no two incidents are the same.

Or that maybe, just maybe, this guy is a liar. But that Takei still admitted to coercing men into sexual contact through their hesitations.
Old 11-11-2017, 03:25 PM   #22 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

Quote:
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that maybe people lie to cover their ass. Or that behaviour can escalate. Or that no two incidents are the same.
And I'm saying that the incident that Brunton describes bears so little resemblance to the sort of thing Takei describes in the radio interview that I can't see how it's relevant to the credibility of Brunton's account one way or the other.

Takei describes behaviour to which he assumed that the other men would not object, despite their being, in his works, "skittish."

Brunton says Takei took advantage of his being unconscious to assault him.

There's a world of difference between the two, it seems to me, so I don't see what Takei's comments in the interview add to our understanding of the situation.

ETA I will wait for someone to come forward and say "Takei coerced me into something" before worrying about that. Coercion is when someone's forced into something against their will. When someone's incapable of consent, the question of coercion doesn't arise.
Old 11-11-2017, 03:27 PM   #23 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 3/9/2006
Here is my worry in all of this. And it's kind D of tengential to if George T is guilty or not. With all of the recent things "coming to light" I really worry we will get a lot of false claims start popping up. I worry more we will get a lot more "This famous guy hit on my years ago, now is my chance to claim harassment (or worse, some kind of rape) because it's the "new hot way to get attention".

I am not saying it doesn't or hasn't happened. Just saying I feel like there may be a lot more exaggerated claims popping up. Especially since so many feel like they are pushed as fact out of the gate.

Also, putting back on the conspiracy cap from previously, it also feels like a push to make "liberal Hollywood" look bad possibly in expectation of something worse coming on the right end (like the supposed Piss tape).
Ramen Jedburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 03:29 PM   #24 (permalink)

My Mood:

The fact that he admits to grabbing men by the penis when they show hesitation doesn't add any credence to the allegation that he might have a problem with respecting sexual boundaries?

Alright.

We obviously diverge vastly along the road somewhere (to me, assault is assault whether you're awake or not, able to withhold consent or not) but we both agree before the fork that assaulting someone is a bad thing so let's leave it there. Because this is honestly making me feel queasy.
1 User Agreed:
Old 11-11-2017, 05:20 PM   #25 (permalink)

Scanned

Quote:
The fact that he admits to grabbing men by the penis when they show hesitation doesn't add any credence to the allegation that he might have a problem with respecting sexual boundaries?
I am reading something different in what Takai is describing.

There is a difference between hesitation in consenting to sex, and hesitating to break the barrier of taboo sex, even though they could very well have been consenting to begin with.

It isn't easy to explain, but the latter is how I understood that, and not really uncommon.
bcBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Disagreed: