Now it is George Takai's Turn - man alleges sexual attack in 1981 - Page 3 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » Now it is George Takai's Turn - man alleges sexual attack in 1981

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2017, 09:47 PM   #51 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanda Belinda View Post
Ever notice how famous scientists or programmers don't usually do things like murder and pedophilia? It's always celebrities and politicians. There was Hans Reiser, but he was the exception.
It may, of course, be that politicians are much more in the public eye than are scientists and programmers, and celebrities, of course, are by definition in the public eye.

Allegations of sexual assault, and trials for such offences, by even a comparatively junior politician or minor actor are going to attract far more publicity than are allegations about a senior researcher at Bayer's or GlaxoSmithKline, no matter how well-known they may be in their fields.
Innula Zenovka is online now   Reply With Quote
3 Users Agreed:
Old 11-14-2017, 01:07 AM   #52 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

Dressed up like a car crash

My Mood:
Client: Black Dragon, FS, SL Viewer
George Takei Blames Russian Bots For Spreading Sexual Assault Allegations

I give him points for creativity on this one. Would be astounding if true, but it seems such a bizarre reach that it just kind of makes me think the model might be telling the truth
Soda Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:12 AM   #53 (permalink)
Myf
McMahon

A Small Field Squirrel

My Mood:
SL Join Date: March '07
Business: The Kino Haus
Client: the one you hate

Awards: 2
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Ever notice how famous scientists or programmers don't usually do things like murder and pedophilia? It's always celebrities and politicians. There was Hans Reiser, but he was the exception.
For scientists, Richard Feynman comes to mind immediately and while I'd have to look around for other specific names, I've heard enough more general stories coming out of conventions and the like, to be reasonably convinced his behaviour wasn't especially notable. As for the tech fields, will video game design is what I'd consider an occupation in that ballpark. Going through the lists of designers who came out in defense of the Gamergators would probably be a good indicator of behavioural trends overall.

STEM fields have an enormous gender issue at the moment, have had for decades. The only reason you're far more politicians and actors being named and shamed is the fact that far more of them are famous.
Myf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:59 AM   #54 (permalink)
But it refused. <3

*SLU Supporter*

I'm a regular Victor Victoria

Awards: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda Sullivan View Post

I give him points for creativity on this one. Would be astounding if true, but it seems such a bizarre reach that it just kind of makes me think the model might be telling the truth
The purpose of these agencies is to sow chaos, and any trending topic will do. I dumped my sources in this post.
1 User Agreed:
Old 11-14-2017, 05:34 AM   #55 (permalink)
only mostly banned

*SLU Supporter*

paddling.....

My Mood:
Business: Building in Motion
Client: References available on request.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myf View Post
For scientists, Richard Feynman comes to mind immediately and while I'd have to look around for other specific names, I've heard enough more general stories coming out of conventions and the like, to be reasonably convinced his behaviour wasn't especially notable. As for the tech fields, will video game design is what I'd consider an occupation in that ballpark. Going through the lists of designers who came out in defense of the Gamergators would probably be a good indicator of behavioural trends overall.

STEM fields have an enormous gender issue at the moment, have had for decades. The only reason you're far more politicians and actors being named and shamed is the fact that far more of them are famous.
The problems in STEM have been well documented. There have been numerous studies and too many "internal investigations" that have made clear the magnitude of the problem. STEM has had several instances where this has come out in public. Two years ago it was with Geoffrey Marcy at UC Berkeley:
https://www.buzzfeed.com/azeenghoray...aDa#.ofMZMP090
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.ba407aca063f
https://gizmodo.com/geoff-marcy-was-...t-t-1738348591

He eventually resigned from Berkeley, but it was a rather tortured path to get him removed. The episode touched off a series of other people being exposed as well as much soul searching and hand wringing. Of course there were promises it would never happen again and things would change, but those promises have gone unfulfilled. Things have improved in some places, but those have been local changes. (Coincidentally, a small group of us just had a discussion about some of these things just last night.... *sigh*)

Anyways, back on topic. From what I have read, people close to Brunton have reported that they recall him discussing this episode shortly after it happened. That kind of corroborating evidence is generally enough for me to believe the survivor.

As to what to make of this, I am not sure. Takei was not a person of power and influence at that time, but his denials are troubling. Personally, I never thought of him as some sort of angel to put on a pedestal. He has had insightful remarks about some issues, and his remarks about the interment of Americans during World War II are important. Despite that he is just an actor, and his part on the Howard Stern show have not exactly endeared me to him.

"I understand that people are scared, but they should listen to facts." - Ryan White

Grandma Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Users Said Thanks :
Old 11-14-2017, 05:53 AM   #56 (permalink)

25 forevah! in SL at least

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 2004
Business: Mediverse
Client: Mostly Firestorm
I worked with engineers, surveyors, advanced engineering scientists and technical staff as a young woman, and I can confirm that sexual harassment was alive and well in those areas as with all others. I don't think the types of harassment in entertainment are special, it is simply that people care about their heroes such as the one who is the subject of this thread, and therefore it is newsworthy.

If Joe Public took a young editorial assistant Jane Doe out to lunch and then suggested forcefully she might like to join him in a hotel room in 1996... well who is going to care about that? It's only the fame of the people involved which makes it headline news, and sadly people just don't care enough about anonymous people in positions of power they've never heard about. It's also so common that it's hardly news.

In that way, the stars of screen and stage who have behaved badly are doing us a favour, by bringing discussion about this into the public arena and making us talk about it. In the UK government there seem to be a large number of men who don't even understand what sexual harassment IS, and have therefore claimed to have been gleefully unaware of the consequences of their actions. There's a certain British attitude towards women, specifically from public schoolboys, which indicates they're either fun, and constantly up for any form of sex they care to inflict on them, or no fun, and possibly wife material.

My own bugbear is the fact that most of the women in politics and the media are by dint of their position not typical of the women in the country, who are mostly not in positions of power, are still doing the majority of the housework and shopping and cooking and childcare. These high-profile women also appear to regard the sort of stuff that has been coming out as 'normal banter' and a price they've had to pay for being a woman in a man's world. But I don't think it should be normal, and I don't think they should have put up with it. The idea that Julia Hartley-Brewer would regard having her personal space invaded repeatedly by Michael Fallon as simply part of that life, and would have to threaten him with violence to get him to stop, should not be seen as normal.

However, if it had happened to Jane Smith, secretary, and the perpetrator Martin No-one, chief scientist at A Place You've Never Heard of, it would never have been news.
Caliandris is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
3 Users Agreed:
Old 11-14-2017, 05:58 AM   #57 (permalink)
Particle Laboratory Elf

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jan 15 2004
Business: Light Sorcery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda Sullivan View Post

Part of what makes the bot fed chaos believable is diversity in telling specific demographics what they want to hear. Given their political position regarding gays and ongoing attempts to feed chaos over here .... why wouldn't they pad their pipeline with some salacious Takei focused 'all gheys r bad! see?'
Jopsy Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 11-14-2017, 06:25 AM   #58 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Quote:

If we are including ethics one name jumps to the head of that list for me: Thomas Edison. Your opinion of him will never be the same after reading a biography about Tesla. I sometimes wonder how much of a leapfrog in advancements we would have made if he never had the misfortune of meeting Edison.

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 11-14-2017, 08:07 AM   #59 (permalink)

Looking down at the uncanny valley

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deca! View Post
Someone posted this on another forum.

George Takei Admitted To Sexually Harassing Men On A Howard Stern Podcast - YouTube

(The Youtube account hosting it is gross, but it's a clip of an interview that actually did happen so.)

I found a DailyKos article discussing it that reads well and logical, but then she says this:

I'm sorry, but no. No. No. No. And no.
George Takei's statement about the Howard Stern show: It was a sketch.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:17 AM   #60 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 3/9/2006
Client: Firestorm
Quote:
And yet every movie mad scientist is a doctor or scientist. It's never "This famous actor was behind it". It's always Dr. Evil, or Dr. No or Dr. Archeville.

I say end this stereotype! STOP MAKING DOCTORS EVIL! It's patently not true!

Well except Dentists. Those guys are all little Satans.

http://allaroundthegrid.blogspot.com/
Ramen Jedburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:35 AM   #61 (permalink)
Not a Supervillian

Quo.

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramen Jedburgh View Post
And yet every movie mad scientist is a doctor or scientist. It's never "This famous actor was behind it". It's always Dr. Evil, or Dr. No or Dr. Archeville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMTWNBBFN
We face an unprecedented moment in this country. Today's greatest threat is not climate change, not pollution, not flood or fire. It's that we've got people in charge of important shit who don't believe in science.

Harrison Ford
Veritable Quandry is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 11-14-2017, 08:47 AM   #62 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

Quote:

Strictly speaking, aren't most movie evil mad scientists in fact evil mad engineers?

ETA What Veritable Quandry's cartoon said.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 11-14-2017, 09:05 AM   #63 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
As an engineer, I take offense to this turn of events.....

:Catspin:
3 Users Laughed:
Old 11-14-2017, 10:45 AM   #64 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

1 User Said Thanks:
Old 11-14-2017, 11:32 AM   #65 (permalink)
Not a Supervillian

Quo.

My Mood:
Also, we never see enough Mad Social Scientists...

Veritable Quandry is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Yay!:
1 User Agreed:
4 Users Like This:
Old 11-14-2017, 12:27 PM   #66 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Why did I spot that as Foglio before even zooming in on the byline?
Old 11-14-2017, 01:09 PM   #67 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritable Quandry View Post
That's because Social Science is a "Science".
1 User Laughed:
Old 11-14-2017, 01:38 PM   #68 (permalink)
Senior Discount

Jesus is coming. Look busy!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: August 21, 2007
Client: Anything But 2
Quote:
That's because Social Science is a "Science".

U.S. Only
Casey Pelous is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 11-14-2017, 02:19 PM   #69 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

Old 11-14-2017, 05:34 PM   #70 (permalink)

Looking down at the uncanny valley

My Mood:
For some reason, "Mad Scientists" just want to rob banks. Harley Quinn - Mad Psychiatrist who robs banks, Poison Ivy - Mad Biologist who robs banks, Doctor Octavius - Mad Physicist who robs banks, Man-Bat - Mad Geneticist who robs banks, Clock King - Mad Physicist who robs banks, etc.

There are a surprisingly a lot of villains in DC and Marvel that have Doctorate degrees who want to rob banks. Are student loans that much of a problem?
Ariane is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 11-14-2017, 06:11 PM   #71 (permalink)
Myf
McMahon

A Small Field Squirrel

My Mood:
SL Join Date: March '07
Business: The Kino Haus
Client: the one you hate

Awards: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Spengler View Post
Why did I spot that as Foglio before even zooming in on the byline?
Because a) it's Girl Genius, easily the Foglios most widely recognised work and b) Phil Foglio's art style is quite distinctive.
Myf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:29 PM   #72 (permalink)

My Mood:
It doesn't matter what kind of scientist they are or if they rob banks or if they should be classed as engineers. You're focusing on the wrong part of 'mad scientist.

What is important is that they are 'mad'.

That explains it all really.
wesleytron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:12 PM   #73 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Because a) it's Girl Genius, easily the Foglios most widely recognised work and b) Phil Foglio's art style is quite distinctive.
or c) I read WAY too much 'Dragon' back in the 80s
3 Users Agreed:
Old 11-14-2017, 09:40 PM   #74 (permalink)
*blink*

Vatican mole

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritable Quandry View Post
They're harder to laugh at.

You can wish-list items and return to SLU to purchase through the affiliate link.
Note: Some people refuse to buy from Amazon due to predatory tactics against publishers as noted here and here by Jacqueline Trudeau.

Last edited by Soen Eber; 11-14-2017 at 10:11 PM.
Soen Eber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:01 PM   #75 (permalink)
Society's Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

SL Join Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariane View Post
For some reason, "Mad Scientists" just want to rob banks. Harley Quinn - Mad Psychiatrist who robs banks, Poison Ivy - Mad Biologist who robs banks, Doctor Octavius - Mad Physicist who robs banks, Man-Bat - Mad Geneticist who robs banks, Clock King - Mad Physicist who robs banks, etc.

There are a surprisingly a lot of villains in DC and Marvel that have Doctorate degrees who want to rob banks. Are student loans that much of a problem?
Man-Bat? Clock King?

I don't want to know.
Believe or you will not see.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote