It's Louis C.K.'s turn - sexual misconduct charges from 5 women - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » It's Louis C.K.'s turn - sexual misconduct charges from 5 women

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2017, 06:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

Nevertheless, she persisted.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May, 2005
Client: Firestorm

Awards: 4
Special Achievement In Creepy Avatar Threads 
It's Louis C.K.'s turn - sexual misconduct charges from 5 women

Report: 5 Women Accuse Louis C.K. of Sexual Misconduct

Quote:
Comedian Louis C.K. has been accused of sexual misconduct toward several women, including masturbating in front of them to their horror and embarrassment, according to a report in The New York Times.

Comedians Dana Min Goodman, Abby Schachner, Julia Wolov, Rebecca Corry allege the Emmy-winning star of FX's "Louie" either pleasured himself in front of them, asked to do it or did so over the phone. A fifth woman detailed her allegations against C.K. to the paper but was not identified.
He should change his stage name to Louis WTF.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elysium Hynes is Typing..

My animal spirit is the lolcat

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/7/2007
Client: V3
Send a message via Skype™ to Elysium Hynes
Some of the writers at Jezebel did several articles on him, is constant masturbation in front of beginner female comedians and threats about speaking up, they have tried for years now for someone to actually accept being quoted on it, cause the rumours where crazy strong for years now.

I’m glad this wave of women talking made some speak up. Finally it’s in the open. I’m now waiting on some of the other comedians who work with his agent and was balls deep in the coverup to say something.

Elysium Hynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

I finally got it all together, but now I forget where I put it.

My Mood:
Didn't we already kind of know this about him?
Zaida Gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 11-09-2017, 07:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Myf
McMahon

A Small Field Squirrel

My Mood:
SL Join Date: March '07
Business: The Kino Haus
Client: the one you hate

Awards: 2
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaida Gearbox View Post
Didn't we already kind of know this about him?
There's been rumours about his behaviour, but this is the first time that I'm aware of that targets* of his behaviour have spoken publicly.

* - Yes, target isn't the best word, but I'm sick to death of "victim" and the connotations of weakness that come with it.
Myf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Society's Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

SL Join Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myf View Post

* - Yes, target isn't the best word, but I'm sick to death of "victim" and the connotations of weakness that come with it.
Survivor doesn't quite cut it either really but it suffices in most cases.
Believe or you will not see.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 12:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

Dressed up like a car crash

My Mood:
Client: Black Dragon, FS, SL Viewer
A longer piece with more detail on the allegations and the
already occurring outfall

5 Women Accuse Louis C.K. Of Sexual Misconduct

I like C.K.'s show and think he is quite funny and relevant, but this behavior definitely falls into the category of misconduct and harassment. There seems to be a clear and gross patter to his behavior. He asked women to watch him masturbate (gross!) and some said yes and some said no.

Quote:
The woman claimed Louis C.K. repeatedly asked her to watch him masturbate. She did what he asked but questioned the behavior, telling the Times, “It was something that I knew was wrong.”

“I think the big piece of why I said yes was because of the culture,” she continued. “He abused his power.”
Quote:
Comedian Rebecca Corry told the Times that Louis C.K. asked her if he could masturbate in front of her in 2005, while the two were appearing on a television pilot together. She declined his advances.
If any of this is true, and C.K. appeared to be working on a film addressing his own issues, the difference I see between Weinstein is that Weinstein knew his status and used it almost as a weapon to get his targets to submit. C.K seems to not realize that he is not just, some guy, and his fame can be intimidating and he is putting his targets in a very awkward but also unbalanced situation.

What is sad is that I read this gross story and, with all that has been coming out about this person and that person on an almost daily basis, I was actually relieved that all the women involved were at least adults.
Soda Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 01:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Peeps Tsar

#imalwayswithher

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Dec 2002
Business: ANOmations
Client: Viewer 2
Send a message via Yahoo to Cristiano Send a message via Skype™ to Cristiano
Louis C.K. breaks silence: 'These stories are true'

Cristiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 02:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristiano View Post
He could teach lessons to some of the other sexual abusers about things like "contrition". It doesn't excuse him, and he deserves the damage to his career, but he manned up at least.
Cindy Claveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 02:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

Head of the SLU Troll Tax Administration

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2006

Awards: 1
The 2 Millionth Post Award 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy Claveau View Post
He could teach lessons to some of the other sexual abusers about things like "contrition". It doesn't excuse him, and he deserves the damage to his career, but he manned up at least.

This is the best, most sincere and accurate apology I've heard from any guy. "I did this because I could, because I was powerful enough not to have to deal with the consequences, I hurt people and it was wrong."

I hope that brings some measure of peace to the women he grossed out. (I mean really, seriously, ick, ick, who can unsee that?)
Old 11-10-2017, 02:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
He says he took advantage of the 'admiration' they had for him. I'm not sure he still fully understands completely. He must have known it wasn't okay since he denied the allegations every time they were brought out in the past. I don't know if you remember, but we even had a thread here a while back mentioning the things he was doing.

I'm sure he does feel guilty for the hurt and hardship he has caused (at least it feels genuine to me) but I just don't think he really gets it. It wasn't only about the admiration they had for him. At the very least, he is now owning up to it and apologising instead of continuing to deny. That's refreshing.
Isabeau Imako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 03:11 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Hard to say if he really manned up and is sorry for his actions or if he is just intelligently handling the PR because denial isn't an option these days. At this point there is a literal 'witch hunt' for celebrity sexual predators. Only time will tell if this current round of sex scandals is going to have lasting positive effect and permanent stigma for those called out, or if it will fade into nearly-forgotten memory like the church sex scandals or sports stars beating their girlfriends. But for now, all things considered, Louis is handling the situation in the best PR way possible, though he does have the benefit of it 'only' being lawsuit-worthy sexual harassment and not jail-time worthy sexual assault. By coming clean with a sincere-sounding admission and apology, he gains some sympathy instead of additional spite and potentially prevents more victims from coming forward.
Tranquility too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 03:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquility too View Post
Hard to say if he really manned up and is sorry for his actions or if he is just intelligently handling the PR because denial isn't an option these days.
The depth of his apology sounded sincere. That's a lot more than we've gotten from any of the other predators. Time will reveal the truth, though, and in the meantime I tend to believe him. He's still a predator, but I believe his apology.
2 Users Agreed:
Old 11-10-2017, 03:46 PM   #13 (permalink)

I wish he had included a ''I'm so sorry''. Like you say, though, better than most of the others so far.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabeau Imako View Post
I wish he had included a ''I'm so sorry''. Like you say, though, better than most of the others so far.
Essentially he did. Just took a lot of words - the right words.
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Likes This:
Old 11-10-2017, 04:02 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabeau Imako View Post

I'm sure he does feel guilty for the hurt and hardship he has caused (at least it feels genuine to me) but I just don't think he really gets it. It wasn't only about the admiration they had for him. At the very least, he is now owning up to it and apologising instead of continuing to deny. That's refreshing.
ehm please remember that these stories where circulating since 2015, and he *always* denied it, gaslighting the victims, threatening to blacklist the mediaoutlets who publish it (jezebel).

he's not owning up, he should have done that 2 years ago, he's now just desperately trying to save face.
PandoraB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 04:19 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandoraB View Post
ehm please remember that these stories where circulating since 2015, and he *always* denied it, gaslighting the victims, threatening to blacklist the mediaoutlets who publish it (jezebel).

he's not owning up, he should have done that 2 years ago, he's now just desperately trying to save face.
I'm not sure why you cut off half my post where I point out that he has denied it in the past. Leave your ehms to those who think his apology was amazing. Owning up means to admit it, no? I'm certain that the reason that he is owning up to it - because that's what it is - isn't entirely sincere. But, yes, he's doing it only because it has officially come out.
1 User Groaned:
2 Users Agreed:
Old 11-10-2017, 04:30 PM   #17 (permalink)
captured like a Pokemans.

bitches love to be called beautiful.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: early 2006.

Fuck that "apology".

It was more him talking about his dick, the women's "admiration" of him and the power that gave him over them than any genuine contrition. It read half as a rehash for gratuitous purposes and half as a whoopsie I'm officially caught.

His manager blacklisted these women. People continued to work with Louis. He actively denied the allegations when they were just gossip in some "feminist rag". Now that it's in a "serious" outlet, he's contrite and apologetic?

Give me several fucking breaks.

I can't believe the things that you'll say
To keep me around and close to your side.

-- Film School - Compare.

When a country is full of food, and exporting it, there can be no famine.
-- George Bernard Shaw.
Deca! is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Groaned:
2 Users Said Thanks :
3 Users Agreed:
1 User Disagreed:
Old 11-10-2017, 04:37 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
The depth of his apology sounded sincere. That's a lot more than we've gotten from any of the other predators. Time will reveal the truth, though, and in the meantime I tend to believe him. He's still a predator, but I believe his apology.
A sincere well written letter....from a successful writer, producer, director, and editor.

It is possible that he is sincere. He did always strike me as being more grounded than other celebrities. I don't doubt that he understands what he did was wrong and probably grasps most of the reasons why it was wrong, but I'm not entirely convinced that he is sorry for the reasons that he claims.
Tranquility too is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 11-10-2017, 04:37 PM   #19 (permalink)

My Mood:

Roseanne Barr out Louis CK...sort of. Should she?
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 11-10-2017, 04:53 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deca! View Post
Thanks. I hadn't seen that thread.

I think I was remembering the one where we were talking about Seth Macfarlane at the Oscars? Not sure if he was specifically the subject. Anyhoo...
Old 11-10-2017, 05:52 PM   #21 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquility too View Post
It is possible that he is sincere. He did always strike me as being more grounded than other celebrities. I don't doubt that he understands what he did was wrong and probably grasps most of the reasons why it was wrong, but I'm not entirely convinced that he is sorry for the reasons that he claims.
I think that male predation has been so systemic for so many centuries that it's going to take a long time to get to the point where most men can comprehend the reasons that this behavior is wrong and harmful, and further understand how to actually feel contrition and empathy.

Whatever one thinks of CK's apology, it's still a step beyond what we've seen from Trump, Cosby, Weinstein, Moore, etc. Just as we teach a child by encouraging them to work harder on empathy, I think it's counter-productive to chastise CK for what he said. I'm more of a Mom who would say "That's a good step. Now, think some more about it and come back to me with a better effort."
1 User Agreed:
Old 11-10-2017, 05:57 PM   #22 (permalink)

My Mood:

We can all agree that it's super he apologized. It'd be better if he meant it.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:43 PM   #23 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

Dressed up like a car crash

My Mood:
Client: Black Dragon, FS, SL Viewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda Sullivan View Post
C.K seems to not realize that he is not just, some guy, and his fame can be intimidating and he is putting his targets in a very awkward but also unbalanced situation.

What is sad is that I read this gross story and, with all that has been coming out about this person and that person on an almost daily basis, I was actually relieved that all the women involved were at least adults.
He seems to have admitted much of the above in his apology that, especially when compared to the press release that Spacey put, comes across as sincere and full of introspection. I think there are two very important factors that probably came into play here ...and that would be CK's two daughters who are now in their mid to lower teens.

I know for some no apology is ever sincere enough and no amount of public flagellation and damage to a carer is enough to suffice. I cant' be one of those people. I read his statement, he seems truly apologetic, not because of being caught, but because he realizes the position he put women in. I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and let his future actions speak for themselves. Show me you are sincere. I would love to know, even though it is really none of our business if he took the time to contact the people involved and apologize to them personally.

Now on to George Takai. The train sadly keeps a rolling.
Soda Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 11-10-2017, 11:47 PM   #24 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

I'm just a girl, with some horns

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008

No thanks, Pandora.
1 User Laughed:
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 11-10-2017, 11:50 PM   #25 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

I'm just a girl, with some horns

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda Sullivan View Post
Now on to George Takai. The train sadly keeps a rolling.
Free Xue is offline   Reply With Quote