Roy Moore accused initiating sexual encounter with 14-year-old - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » Roy Moore accused initiating sexual encounter with 14-year-old

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2017, 03:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Roy Moore accused initiating sexual encounter with 14-year-old

Other women making similar allegations

Quote:
Aside from Corfman, three other women interviewed by The Washington Post in recent weeks say Moore pursued them when they were between the ages of 16 and 18 and he was in his early 30s, episodes they say they found flattering at the time, but troubling as they got older. None of the women say that Moore forced them into any sort of relationship or sexual contact.

Wendy Miller says she was 14 and working as a Santa’s helper at the Gadsden Mall when Moore first approached her, and 16 when he asked her on dates, which her mother forbade. Debbie Wesson Gibson says she was 17 when Moore spoke to her high school civics class and asked her out on the first of several dates that did not progress beyond kissing. Gloria Thacker Deason says she was an 18-year-old cheerleader when Moore began taking her on dates that included bottles of Mateus Rosé wine. The legal drinking age in Alabama was 19. 

Of the four women, the youngest at the time was Corfman, who is the only one who says she had sexual contact with Moore that went beyond kissing. She says they did not have intercourse.

In a written statement, Moore denied the allegations.
Dakota Tebaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 04:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

LOL

Twitter
2 Users Groaned:
Old 11-09-2017, 04:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Twitter
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 11-09-2017, 05:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

Singing along with old music

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Oct 4 2009
Business: Moondrops ; Tempus Fugit; Faerycat Designs; sPunk
Client: Firestorm
That's the thing, why is he denying this? It wasn't until the 80s where it was actually illegal to have sex with a 14 yr old, at least it wasn't in Georgia [with parental permission, anyway], and I can't imagine Alabama was any different.

And since when did Republicans care about girls anyway.

Also, that one guy needs to go back to his bible, since according to that, Joseph was the father of Jesus only in upbringing [which is being a father, but not usually by GOP definitions].

Aribeth Zelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 05:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
But it refused. <3

*SLU Supporter*

I'm a regular Victor Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Tebaldi View Post
I laughed far harder than I should have.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aribeth Zelin View Post
That's the thing, why is he denying this? It wasn't until the 80s where it was actually illegal to have sex with a 14 yr old, at least it wasn't in Georgia [with parental permission, anyway], and I can't imagine Alabama was any different.
Because chances are somewhere in his judiciary past Moore has put away one or more mid-30's pervs for molesting a kid, and referred to them as scum-of-the-earth for it. Or, he's criticized a political opponent as "soft on crime/pedophiles" for failing to put one away in such a case.
1 User Agreed:
Old 11-09-2017, 07:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
Quote:
Because chances are somewhere in his judiciary past Moore has put away one or more mid-30's pervs for molesting a kid, and referred to them as scum-of-the-earth for it. Or, he's criticized a political opponent as "soft on crime/pedophiles" for failing to put one away in such a case.
Even if it wasn't illegal, I would think that most right-minded people would consider it pretty creepy for a man his early thirties to be making sexual advances to a 14-year-old. I certainly wouldn't be prepared to excuse it on the grounds that it was not then unlawful, so that made it perfectly OK.

I mean, necrophilia was not made illegal in England until 2003, but I don't think many people would be prepared to vote for a politician who turned out to have had a predilection for having sex with corpses back in the 1980s, despite the fact he probably wasn't breaking any laws.
Innula Zenovka is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 11-09-2017, 07:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Meanwhile:

Twitter

Twitter
2 Users Like This:
Old 11-09-2017, 07:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

I finally got it all together, but now I forget where I put it.

My Mood:
My great-grandmother was 14 when she married my great-grandfather who was 30. By most standards it was a very successful marriage producing 4 children. My great-grandmother outlived her husband by more than 30 years, but was still so loyal to her memory that she raised holy hell to go back to Louisiana shortly before her death to ensure she would be buried next to him.

But, guess what? The 1920s where a very different time, and even my great grandmother said if she had had the options that I had - she wouldn't have gotten married until she was a lot older - if ever.

As for the mother of Jesus - an even more different time and different culture. People did not live as long. In that culture anyone over the age of 13 was considered an adult.
Zaida Gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Said Thanks :
Old 11-09-2017, 08:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

My Mood:
I'll say it here, and I'm sure I've said it before, going after these people is only treating the symptoms - not the societal disease where girl children are worth less than boy ones, and where women are never really victims, but if we still remained the property of men, we'd have safety because well, our menfolk would be the victims.

And yes, I'm a bit bitter on this topic.
1 User Hugged You:
Old 11-09-2017, 10:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Quote:
Which has what to do with what given this is about sex? In that story Joseph is doing the responsible thing when his girlfriend got pregnant by someone who left the picture after doing the deed.

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:26 PM   #12 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Twitter
Old 11-09-2017, 10:29 PM   #13 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Also, that one guy needs to go back to his bible, since according to that, Joseph was the father of Jesus only in upbringing [which is being a father, but not usually by GOP definitions].
I always find it funny when so-called Christians obviously do not know the first thing about their religion. The more secular the person who calls them out on it the better.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Spengler View Post
I always find it funny when so-called Christians obviously do not know the first thing about their religion. The more secular the person who calls them out on it the better.
Not that I'm terribly secular, being as how I'm ordained, but... maybe knowing their religion well is why I'm pagan.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:07 PM   #15 (permalink)

I don't know much about the bible but I thought Mary was supposed to be a virgin or something.
Wanda Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 12:52 AM   #16 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

Dressed up like a car crash

My Mood:
Client: Black Dragon, FS, SL Viewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanda Belinda View Post
I don't know much about the bible but I thought Mary was supposed to be a virgin or something.
That's what she told Joseph anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innula Zenovka View Post
I would think that most right-minded people
That's what keeps hanging you up Innula. This is the US we are talking about. To be specific, this is Alabama. Most "right-minded people" don't live in Alabama if they can avoid it. (Think Liverpool, but much worse)

Republicans might be stuck with Roy Moore

What is sad is that, if the election were held next week, Moore would still win hands down. It would not even be close. Luckily the Republicans in the Senate did not want Moor to begin with, but there is no way to force him off the ticket. Sen.Murkowsly is pushing for the opponent that Moore defeated in the primary to run as a "write-in" candidate. That most likely would split the conservatives among two candidates and would be the one thing that could possibly push the election in the Democrats favour.

Quote:
Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska) and other Republicans have suggested that GOP Sen. Luther Strange, the appointed senator who lost to Moore in the special primary, could put himself forward as a write-in candidate. State law bars a candidate who lost in a primary from appearing on the general election ballot as an independent, but it does not appear to forbid a write-in campaign.

“Of course it’s possible!” said Murkowski, who lost her Republican primary in 2010 but won reelection as a write-in candidate, when asked about the feasibility of such a plan.
One does have to wonder why, after so many controversies as judge, and so many elections, this managed to come out now.

Last edited by Soda Sullivan; 11-10-2017 at 02:10 AM.
Soda Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 11-10-2017, 04:53 AM   #17 (permalink)
Eternal Newbie

*SLU Supporter*
Entirely without credibility

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 21 June 2009
Quote:
I mean, necrophilia was not made illegal in England until 2003, but I don't think many people would be prepared to vote for a politician who turned out to have had a predilection for having sex with corpses back in the 1980s, despite the fact he probably wasn't breaking any laws.
Given that a lot of our current UK politicians would appear to be the 'walking dead' at the moment anyway, would they be permitted to have sex with each other ?
Arkady Arkright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 06:17 AM   #18 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Not that I'm terribly secular, being as how I'm ordained, but... maybe knowing their religion well is why I'm pagan.
Probably a better word is non-Christian.
1 User Agreed:
Old 11-10-2017, 06:21 AM   #19 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanda Belinda View Post
They consider her a virgin but she got pregnant without losing that status. Yes, it makes about as much sense as them simultaneously insisting they are monotheists but worshiping 3 entities (even though most of the time they forget one, but that is a puzzlement in itself).
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 11-10-2017, 07:37 AM   #20 (permalink)
captured like a Pokemans.

bitches love to be called beautiful.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: early 2006.

Good to see that the GOP will stand behind both the deportation of one child and the sexual abuse of multiple. They really do care about innocent life.

Fucking heinous pieces of shit.

I can't believe the things that you'll say
To keep me around and close to your side.

-- Film School - Compare.

When a country is full of food, and exporting it, there can be no famine.
-- George Bernard Shaw.
Deca! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 08:15 AM   #21 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda Sullivan View Post
That's what she told Joseph anyway.

That's what keeps hanging you up Innula. This is the US we are talking about. To be specific, this is Alabama. Most "right-minded people" don't live in Alabama if they can avoid it. (Think Liverpool, but much worse)
Not sure where to go with the Liverpool comparison (isn't Tyche from around there?).

I'm pretty sure, however, that anywhere in the UK a man in his 30s having a sexual interest in a 14-year-old would be considered pretty creepy (that's one reason the age of consent was raised from 13 to 16 in 1885) and his having a sexual interest in a 16-year-old would be considered pretty inappropriate too.
[quote]

Quote:
One does have to wonder why, after so many controversies as judge, and so many elections, this managed to come out now.
I don't. I can quite see why his reappearance, yet again, in Alabama public life combined with the fact that, after the allegations about various figures in the entertainment industry in recent weeks, the complainants may now be less fearful of being disbelieved may well have prompted the women to complain now.

A standard part of the judge's directions on law to the jury in historic sexual abuse cases in the U is a warning that nothing should be read into the fact that there's been a long delay in making a complaint. While the defence may well cross-examine the complaint on the reasons for her or his delay, it's up to the jury whether they accept the complainant's explanation.

Certainly, at least in my experience, people often have perfectly convincing explanations about why they decided to complain now and not 30 years ago.
2 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Agreed:
Old 11-10-2017, 08:16 AM   #22 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Quote:
I don't think many people would be prepared to vote for a politician who turned out to have had a predilection for having sex with corpses back in the 1980s, despite the fact he probably wasn't breaking any laws.
Is this about David Cameron again?

"And now I'm going to show you something really cool."

The previous is a cybernetic datum published - in direct contravention of DoD Regulation #229RR3X3 - as being conducive to the physical, psychological and/or social well-being of the population.
Argent Stonecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Laughed:
Old 11-10-2017, 10:32 AM   #23 (permalink)

whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Spengler View Post
They consider her a virgin but she got pregnant without losing that status. Yes, it makes about as much sense as them simultaneously insisting they are monotheists but worshiping 3 entities (even though most of the time they forget one, but that is a puzzlement in itself).
I've no real idea if it is an accurate take on a specific issue, but I got into a conversation once with my mother after we left the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in Washington DC. Not sure how it came up, but I asked if there was a difference between how Lutherans viewed Mary, and how Roman Catholics views Mary. She told me Lutherans admired her, Roman Catholics worshiped her. So maybe there's four? The Father, the Son, the Holy Spirit, and Mary.
Lexxi Gynoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 11:34 AM   #24 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

It seems, from my somewhat remote perspective, that the same people who are so bothered about male predators disguising themselves as women to gain access to women's restrooms are pretty relaxed about men in their 30s at least making advances to 14-year-old girls (even if they don't accept the complainants' accounts of sexual assault):
Quote:
“There is nothing to see here,” Alabama State Auditor Jim Ziegler told the Washington Examiner. “The allegations are that a man in his early 30s dated teenage girls. Even the Washington Post report says that he never had sexual intercourse with any of the girls and never attempted sexual intercourse.”

After interviews with more than 30 people, the Washington Post reported Thursday that Moore engaged in sexual contact with a 14-year-old girl when he was 32 years old and a powerful attorney in a small Alabama town.

The young girl, Leigh Corfman, said Moore touched her over her bra and underpants, guiding her hand to his shorts. “I wanted it over with — I wanted out,” she recalled. “Please just get this over with. Whatever this is, just get it over.”

Ziegler seemed unconcerned about that allegation and told the Washington Examiner that any political concern would be mitigated by three things. Moore never had “sexual intercourse” with the girl. Their relationship “happened almost 40 years ago.” And finally, “Roy Moore fell in love with one of the younger women.”

Moore began dating his wife Kayla around this time, according to Ziegler. “He dated her. He married her, and they’ve been married about 35 years. They’re blessed with a wonderful marriage and his wife Kayla is 14 years younger than Moore.”
Alabama state auditor defends Roy Moore against sexual allegations, invokes Mary and Joseph

The final point, about his and his wife's respective ages at the time of their marriage, is a bit disingenuous. He's 70 at the moment, so that makes him 35 and her 21 when they married.

There's a big difference between the ages of 21 and 14, though, and there are laws to deal with people who can't tell the difference when it comes to sexual relations.
1 User Likes This:
Old 11-10-2017, 11:35 AM   #25 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Stonecutter View Post
Is this about David Cameron again?
Come to think of it, a lot of politicians seem to spend their time flogging dead horses.